The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most picturesque place you have been to?

+17
Good Golly I'm Olly
kwinigolfer
TopHat24/7
Biltong
Cari
trottb
dummy_half
Breadvan
Scottrf
Adam D
No1yankee
westisbest
Il Gialloblu
Pal Joey
Thomond
B91212
Fists of Fury
21 posters

Go down

Most picturesque place you have been to? Empty Most picturesque place you have been to?

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:39 am

Quite simply, what is the most picturesque/beautiful place you have been to?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Most picturesque place you have been to? Empty Re: Most picturesque place you have been to?

Post by B91212 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 6:53 pm

I’ve been lucky enough to have travelled to a few decent places around the world. Had a think about it and concluded that my favorites are probably

1. Peyto Lake, Banff National Park, Alberta Canada – Situated just off the Banff Jasper highway (I93) that runs through both National Parts (Banff National Park & Jasper National Park) and is probably the most picturesque drive I’ve ever done. Peyto Lake is about 25 miles north of the better known Lake Louise and is just about the highest part of the Rockies that can be reached by car (the last 15 minutes are on foot). When looking down on the lake it is an amazing milky aqua blue colour that is caused by the high copper content on the glacial river bed reflecting with the sunlight. The view over the lake is breath-taking and as you look north you see the mountain range going off into the distance. Been back numerous times and never fail to be amazed every time.

2. Moraine Lake Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada – Again more famous than Peyto Lake and can get a bit busy at times but when we first went it was pretty deserted. We walked around part of the lake and the silence and peace of the area were something I had never experienced before or since. Really did feel that I was about as far from civilization as I’ve ever been in my life. Also visually amazing.

3. Ankor Wot, Cambodia – Probably wouldn’t be on many peoples list who have seen it but for me the place was amazing. The sheer size of the temples and the area they are spread over is mind blowing, especially when you consider when they were constructed around the 8th to 13th century, makes Stonehenge look like an student art project! Over the subsequent centuries nature has tried to take back what was once it’s own and some of the temples are now completely entwined by tree.

Plenty of photo’s at home but I’m at work so can’t add any to back up my choices. I’m lucky enough to live in Alberta so get to see the first 2 choices at least once a year.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Most picturesque place you have been to? Empty Re: Most picturesque place you have been to?

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:48 pm

Thanks for that, mate. If you could add the photos that'd be terrific thumbsup

Canada has always intrigued me, having heard so many stories of its natural beauty.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:36 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Thanks for that, mate. If you could add the photos that'd be terrific thumbsup

Canada has always intrigued me, having heard so many stories of its natural beauty.
At work again at the moment (12.30pm here) but will have a go at posting some pictures when I get home tonight. Never done the old spoiler thing before but will give it a go anyway, can't be that hard right?

Canada certainly has a lot of natural beauty, although it sometimes does it's best to spoil certain area's (do an internet search for the Alberta oil sands). As well as natural beauty it's just so vast that a lot of it is still untouched or developed by man.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

The Florida Everglades were pretty spectacular. They may be pretty much a swamp but there is some amazing sights there. Getting to see some Gators there was pretty amazing too.

P.S. Alligator is pretty tasty!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:28 am

Lake Wakatipu near Queenstown... and most of the Southern Alps in Canterbury and Otago.

Stunningly beautiful scenery which always seems to be changing with the weather.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 18 Nov 2011, 6:44 am

Nice idea for a thread Fists. We need more on the travel section.

Most of the Mongolian countryside was fantastic. So vast and because it's pretty flat and featureless, it made the sky seem huge.

I must say that I'm actually living in one of the most picturesque places I've ever been to.

Spoiler:

And I must mention a place that may not be too famous outside of China. The Long Ji rice terraces. We went for a weekend and climbed the hills for the sunsets and sunrises. It was majestic.

Spoiler:

Sorry that my spoilers are only links to google images folks, but I thought that was the best way for you to see a variety of pictures.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:35 am

Terrific photos, mate.

Yangshuo looks incredible, hence why I will certainly be visiting when I make it over in late 2012 or late 2013 (having some trouble persuading the other half Sad )

I'd never heard of those rice fields before, so thanks for sharing that.

The Blue Mountains in Australia were very picturesque, as is Sydney Harbour in a different kind of way, the blend between water, sky, islands, and man made landmarks makes it a beautiful place.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:52 am

Been to the coast of Kenya a few times, to me its nice there. Nice beaches.

The gardens in Hotels are very nice.

Went on safari to the Mara, flew from the coast.

Got close to Mt Kilamanjaro, seeing it from that high in the air, in one of those small planes was a good experience(although my girlfriend was petrified).

Been to Sharm El Sheikh, went snorkling.

Managed to get an underwater camera, got some good photos.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 4:45 pm

Seeing as I still haven't managed to upload the photo's from home I will copy Il Gialloblu's lead and enter links to the places mentioned in my first post.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by No1yankee Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:18 pm

When I was at the top of the cn tower.

No1yankee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:27 pm

No1yankee wrote:When I was at the top of the cn tower.

Cartoon Network Tower?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sun 20 Nov 2011, 7:30 am

Cheers for the links B91212.

The colour of that water is amazing.

Reminds me of some (far smaller) lakes on the Tongariro Crossing in New Zealand.

For me, the word 'picturesque' brings up the thought of beautiful places so I'm not sure the Tongariro Crossing would count, as the scenery is more 'dramatic' than 'beautiful', what with it being pretty much a volcanic wasteland.

Probably still worth a look though.

Spoiler:

Another one was the Maldives.

I had just returned from 8 months of travelling and a new girlfriend asked if I wanted a holiday. The conversation went a little like this:

"Do you want a holiday?"

"Not really. I've just got back from travelling. I want to earn some money, not spend it. Why? Where do you want to go?"

"Well, you know I work at First Choice? We have a staff offer. A week in the Maldives, all inclusive, 230 quid each."

"Book it. Book it now!"

We stayed on this island.

Spoiler:

Gorgeous place, free drinks, fantastic free curry twice a day and of course the fun that you have with a new missus. 230 quid? Best holiday deal ever.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:20 pm

Is she still your girlfriend? With contacts like that she sounds a keeper Smile

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:41 pm

Ha, too right! Looks superb, Il_G.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:40 pm

Sequoia Park.

An Island just off of the Dominican Republic where they filmed the bounty advert.
Also an area there where they filmed Armageddon I think, but a great looking river surrounded by trees.

Some of the mountains around Switzerland too.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 23 Nov 2011, 3:45 am

She left First Choice soon after. It was a few years ago now, too long for anyone to want to stay with me until now. The Maldives were really good though.

The Swiss Alps do look great also Scott, from the clips I've seen of The Sound Of Music anyway.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 23 Nov 2011, 6:46 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:She left First Choice soon after. It was a few years ago now, too long for anyone to want to stay with me until now. The Maldives were really good though.
And more importantly than that, if she no longer worked for First Choice then why would you want to put up with her? Wink

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:54 am

South Georgia

Waikiki beach at sunset

Numerous sunsets in the South Pacific.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 06 Jan 2012, 3:02 pm

ONly just found this thread, but have to nominate a couple more places in the western US -
Grand Canyon (although it doesn't look real when you see it - it's like one of those painted backdrops in Star Trek)
Yosemite National Park - the valley itself is spectacular, but there are some exquisite lakes towards Tuolumne Meadows.

I'll look to dig out a couple of pics over the weekend (plus of Sequoia National Park as others have mentioned - a real hidden gem) and see if I can figure out the 'spoiler' tag thing

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 06 Jan 2012, 3:24 pm

Better late than never dummy_half. thumbsup

Show us your photos mate. I'd love to see them.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:35 am

Grand Canyon
https://i.servimg.com/u/f47/17/17/51/71/dsc00610.jpg

Yosemite Valley
https://i.servimg.com/u/f47/17/17/51/71/dsc01510.jpg

More Yosemite
https://i.servimg.com/u/f47/17/17/51/71/dsc01710.jpg

Sequoia NP
https://i.servimg.com/u/f47/17/17/51/71/dsc01810.jpg

Last edited by dummy_half on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Posted when I meant to preview)

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:43 am

Cracking photos, DH.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:26 am

Good photos are easy when you can point the camera in almost any direction and get someting interesting Very Happy

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Mon 04 Jun 2012, 9:06 am

Have recently returned from a holiday in Sardinia and would have to say that it is probably the most beautiful place I have ever been to. Just to drive along the coast and pull in at any beach which are all picture perfect and not a trace of litter. Food is fantastic also.

A close second would be New Zealand which I absolutely adored, especially in the rain driving through countless secluded winding roads next to forest and cliffs with waterfalls at every turn.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 04 Jun 2012, 3:10 pm

I haven't got anywhere as exotic as those listed above. I didn't get on a plane for the first time until last year. However, there are some beautiful places right here at home.

Pembrokeshire, Wales. The coastal path is second to none. I was very lucky to be brought up down there, even though I didn't realise that at the time. In my opinion, the best bits are around the north - Dinas, Strumble Head, Porthgain. The views are just spectacular. If you want to see it all in one go, head up to the highest point on the Preseli mountains. On a clear day you can see as far east as the Severn, and as far west as the coast of Ireland. Also in north Pembrokeshire, there's a tiny gorgeous little village called Nevern. Worth going to just to look at the church and have a drink in the pub.

Another stunning view I loved was flying over Dublin at night in a plane. I don't know why, it just took my breath away.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:01 pm

Cari

Pembrokeshire definitely has some nice areas - just as long as you avoid Haverfordwest and Pembroke Dock.

I lived on the north Wales coast for a year, between Conwy and Bangor (in a village whose name looks like someone having an epileptic fit over a keyboard - Dwygyfylchi ). Some absolutely spectacular scenery within 10 -15 miles of there (heck, within half a mile of the house there was a great beach and the back side of the Sychnant pass). Only problem was that it rains something like 300 days of the year there.

OK, I'll still take Yosemite or the Grand Canyon (I alternate two of the photos in my above post as screensavers on the work computer), but there are some great parts of the UK, and having done geology at University I got to go to most of them...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:23 pm

In 1996/7 we saw an advert about the 1999 world cup to be hosted in Wales, it showed a camera angle from a low flying aircraft over weslh country side, it looked beautiful, green lush and serene.

Might have to got here one day.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:51 pm

Biltong, I have just got back from a camping trip in Wales, and yes it is fantastic scenery almost everywhere you go. Excellent unspoilt countryside, forests and mountains. Expect rain though, and plenty of it, it is lush for a reason!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:14 pm

dummy_half wrote:Cari

Pembrokeshire definitely has some nice areas - just as long as you avoid Haverfordwest and Pembroke Dock.

I lived on the north Wales coast for a year, between Conwy and Bangor (in a village whose name looks like someone having an epileptic fit over a keyboard - Dwygyfylchi ). Some absolutely spectacular scenery within 10 -15 miles of there (heck, within half a mile of the house there was a great beach and the back side of the Sychnant pass). Only problem was that it rains something like 300 days of the year there.

I was brought up in Harford. There, it's not so much the place itself or the people generally, the main problem is very pissspoor council planning. Someone somewhere is taking backhanders or they've got a very skewed view of town improvements. They're ruining the town and turning it into a ghost one at the same time. It's a shame really, because it's not a bad place at all and had potential.

I've heard North Wales is beautiful, but I haven't been yet.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:17 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Biltong, I have just got back from a camping trip in Wales, and yes it is fantastic scenery almost everywhere you go. Excellent unspoilt countryside, forests and mountains. Expect rain though, and plenty of it, it is lush for a reason!
Laugh I'll have to remember to bring an umbrella then
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 Jul 2012, 4:19 pm

Unspoilt beaches of Mozambique
Grand Canyon at sunset/sunrise
Snowdonia
Great Barrier Reef (can't remember the dive site but it was a very rare one that's almost never visited as the conditions have to be perfect)
Lake Louis & surrounds, nr Banff/Jasper.

Not quite the same but special mentions to:
Old quarter Istanbul
Old quarter Marrakech

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Mon 23 Jul 2012, 4:21 pm

Marrakech is some place isn't it TopHat. I remember almost getting run over by a horse and cart in one of the narrower streets in the medina.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:02 pm

Bryce Canyon (Utah) at sunset is a must see.
Echo each and every comment regarding Glacier National Parkway, etc. etc.
If you have time, start in Glacier National Park in northern Montana (a couple of days hiking should suffice for meeting a bear or two) and then head north.

Much underrated are revolving restaurants in City Centres, sound tacky but great for perspective. And amusing children.
CN Tower, Niagara, San Francisco, showing my age when I lament the passing of the restaurant at the Post Office Tower in London.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:04 pm

When I was on top of The Reichstag at night, looking over a lovely city in Berlin with all my mates, that was pretty cool.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 27 Jul 2012, 1:27 pm

In no particular order...

Legzira Beach, Sidi Ifni, Morocco. Huge natural rock arches frame the setting sun on this gorgeous beach. Signs of holiday homes springing up the last time we went - just hope they don't ruin it by "developing" the area.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g793713-d2164308-Reviews-Legzira_Beach-Sidi_Ifni_Souss_Massa_Draa_Region.html

Pink Sands, Harbour Island, Bahamas. The beach is pink (from crushed coral) and the waters are clear, simply a beautiful place!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g148423-d147530-Reviews-Pink_Sands_Beach-Harbour_Island_Out_Islands_Bahamas.html

Kanyakumari, India. The southernmost tip of India, where the Indian Ocean meets the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal. Sunrise over these waters is magical.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g608476-Kanyakumari_Tamil_Nadu-Vacations.html

Victoria Falls, Zambia. Called "the smoke that thunders" this is a spectacular waterfall on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g298090-d477379-Reviews-Victoria_Falls_Mosi_Oa_Tunya-Victoria_Falls.html

Lake Bohinj, near Triglev national park, Slovenia. Lake Bled next door gets all the tourists (it has a castle in the middle), Bohinj is unspoilt, quiet and beautiful.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274862-d296736-Reviews-Lake_Bohinj-Slovenia.html

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRealDeal Fri 21 Sep 2018, 4:45 pm

My little bedroom.

TheRealDeal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRealDeal Wed 26 Sep 2018, 7:17 pm

Btw, has anyone here been to Reunion Island?
What’s it like?

TheRealDeal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRealDeal Wed 26 Sep 2018, 7:18 pm

Looking to go to a safari next year.
Not sure whether to go to South Africa or Namibia.

Anyone been there?

TheRealDeal

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 27 Sep 2018, 12:21 pm

TheRealDeal wrote:Btw, has anyone here been to Reunion Island?
What’s it like?

No.
No idea.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 27 Sep 2018, 12:22 pm

TheRealDeal wrote:Looking to go to a safari next year.
Not sure whether to go to South Africa or Namibia.

Anyone been there?

No.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 11 Sep 2019, 9:45 am

Would be nice to resurrect some of the travel threads!

The most picturesque place I've been to has to be Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsunday Islands, Australia.

It was nice and quiet when I went, hardly any people there. Stingrays swimming around my feet while I was paddling.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down