The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC 139

+5
easthfc
gibbo104
Clunge4life
boomdangle
blaineyboy
9 posters

Go down

UFC 139 Empty UFC 139

Post by blaineyboy Tue 15 Nov 2011, 12:34 pm

Predictions on the main 3 fights

Rua v Henderson by points
Silva v Le by submission
Faber v Bowles by points

blaineyboy

Back to top Go down

UFC 139 Empty Re: UFC 139

Post by boomdangle Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

Henderson by TKO

Would love for the axe man to gain a victory but think he has lost his touch now sadly.

Faber by decision.

Lower down the card would like Bader to pick up the win as he wasnt far from title shot not long ago.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

Henderson by KO

Silva by TKO

Faber by decision.

Great fight card looking forward to this

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 3:56 pm

Well here are mine:

Main card:
Rau via decision
Le via (T)KO
Faber via decision
Story via decision
Kingsbury via (T)KO

Prelims:
Bader via (T)KO
McDonald via decision

Facebook:
Weidman via submission
Rafael dos Anjos via decision
Torres via decision
Brown via decision
Bailey via decision

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:03 am

i think with all the hype of fox 139 has been under the radar but i think it will be a great night of fights.

the hendo fight appeals to old school fans and has title implications.

Big wand just needs to bring it to halt his slide, Faber's only loss was to cruz but bowles will give him major problems, could be fight of the night.

Story both are coming off losses so should go all out to pick up a W. same goes for Bader who i see winnign comfortably.
I think its a great card full of potenial.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

Really good card

I'm struggling to pick for the main event. 2 of the greatest ever. I just hope it's a good fight, although would love Shogun to win.

Wand v Le is another tough one. I'm going with Wand by KO as Cung Le hasn't fought for a while and never in UFC.

Faber to dec Bowles.

Story to KO Kampmann.

Bonnar to dec Kingsbury

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 20 Nov 2011, 5:02 pm

spoilers.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

What a card! Wanderlei Silva v Cung Le was a highly entertaining fight, with Le employing a lot of kicks and finally Wanderlei getting a spectacular TKO. Silva looked impressive. Urijah Faber finished his fight strong, with an excellent guillotine. It was clear he was motivated to face Dominick Cruz again and their rematch should be exciting. But what about Rua v Henderson! That fight alone will have vindicated White's decision to create 5-round none-title fights. It was the epitome of a war - going the full 5 rounds of pure carnage. Henderson just oozed power and looked like he was going to finish the fight early, but Rua personified the warrior spirit and finished the fight strong. That fight will go down as one of the greatest MMA fights in UFC history and definitely warrents a rematch. This was the card the UFC should have had on Fox - but that is only through hindsight. It was an awesome event. One of the best cards of the year so far.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:44 am

Unreal fight. I still can't believe how good it was. A rollback to some of the wars from the Pride days. Thought Shogun was very unlucky. How the last round wasn't a 10-8 round, meaning it was a draw, I don't know. Although I thought Hendo did enough to win as he controlled the fight before he gassed.

So happy Wand got the win too.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:22 am

Hendo-Shogun need a 5 round rematch ASAP.

Best fight I've seen in ages.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:35 am

he only fight I havent seen!!!

Didnt get time to watch it on Sunday! will be watching it tonight!!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:53 pm

Another great fight from this weekend was Eddie Alvarez v Michael Chandler for the Belator LW championship. It was a potential FOTY before the Shogun Hendo fight happened, and kinda stole the limelight, but it's definitely worth watching.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:00 am

Rua/Hendo was a good fight but I appear to be in the minority that I don't think it was as good as most people thought!

Don't get me wrong, it was a good fight and both showed tremendous heart and once again both showed their granite chins but I didn't get the same buzz everyone else seemed to get from the fight.

Maybe the problem was that I was away this weekend and only got round to seeing it Monday and had before that read many reviews calling it the best ever fight in the history of MMA and I guess I hyped myself up and whilst I was impressed it didn't meet my expectations, which is probably my fault for dreaming in my mind what the fight would be!

Crazy fight though, I think Hendo deserved the win for his early work in the fight.

Silva looked good but I never thought Cung Le matched his own hype due to his lack of fights and who he had previously thought.

I think people thinking Silva is back on form is not the case and he'll get KO'd by a top fighter at this stage of his career.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:34 am

Yeah I don't see Silva becoming a significant force in the division at this stage of his career, but it was a good fight and very entertaining.

The Hendo/Rua fight was a great fight but not the greatest - however, it is very rare to see a fight of that length and physicality, both fighters showed tremendous heart and determination. It would be incredibly hard for them to top that performance but I do think it warrents a rematch.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:56 am

Would love to see Silva find a new lease of form but I doubt it. The problem is Silva is a warrior and if he was offered an easy fight or tough fight he'll take the tough fight every time and I don't think he's got it in him but we'll see.

I think that's it Talkingpoint, i thought it was a crazy and entertaining fight and Dana White had called it their Thriller in Manilla III and I guess I expected 25 minutes of complete non stop action and whilst it was good, it didn't match what I read and thought I would see.

5, 5 minute rounds is incredibly tough and I understand they can't just bang the whole time but their were some large periods where not a lot happened but when it did, OH BOY!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 23 Nov 2011, 1:41 pm

for me it was the anticipation - when Rua managed to dominate the 4th and 5th round I was on the edge of my seat just waiting to see if he could G&P his was to victory or get a sub, it looked so close at one point! The fact that Rua even had the strength in him to take Hendo down was incredible! After some of the shots that Rua took in the first half of the fight I was surprised he came through it, at one point I thought the Ref was going to call it off for sure. So for me the excitment came in the action as well as the total surprise and respect for both men's ability to continue to fight well into the 4th and 5th round.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Wed 23 Nov 2011, 4:41 pm

Hi all,

Yeah I agree with most everyone on here 139 was an epic card and the main event was spectacular. The aggressiveness of Henderson in the first 3 rounds and the resilience of Rau in the last couple coming back into the fight made it a great 5 round war (if we are being picky the amount of gassing that went on in that fight though took it down from being in the mix of the greatest fights of all time to just a great fight).

Talkingpoint made the argument that 139 should have been the card to debute on Fox and although I agree in principal (and no doubt all us MMA fans would agree that this card was better than the Fox show) I do think that this card would have been too much for the first time viewers of MMA.The amount of blood and just the epicenes of the war between Rau and Henderson I think may have put off the first time / casual viewers of MMA - The new fans need to be educated about MMA before they can truly appreciate a card like 139 (just my opinion).

On a side note, did anyone see the Bellator 58 lightweight title fight that aired the same day as 139?! Now that was also a truly epic fight and I can understand why Bellator has released it free for anyone to view (youtube video below). You want to see a WAR on the same level as Rau vs Henderson but without half the amount of gassing from the 155'ers should watch the fight below. Believe me you won’t be disappointed.
Last Saturday was a truly epic night for MMA (on a further side note, I would also recommend youtubing Ronda Rousey vs Julia Budd fight on Fridays Strikeforce challengers card. Now this is a girl that can and will break your arm and do it with in 38 seconds!).

Full Fight: Eddie Alvarez vs. Michael Chandler (Bellator 58 - Lightweight title)

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:09 pm

wow Michael Chandler can take a beating! I can't believe there was 20 minutes of insane kick-boxing only for it to finish with a choke! LOL

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:27 pm

talkingpoint wrote:wow Michael Chandler can take a beating! I can't believe there was 20 minutes of insane kick-boxing only for it to finish with a choke! LOL

Hahaha! That made me laugh! Good point though, I didn't think of it like that

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 24 Nov 2011, 8:34 am

Cheers Gibbo, ill make sure i watch this weekend! thumbsup

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

Eddie Alvarez vs. Michael Chandler was awesome!!!

I think this fight was better than Rua vs. Hendo, flowed very well and pretty much non stop.

Whether it's boxing or MMA, the little guys are always far more entertaining!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:45 pm

for me it didn't have the same level of ground game so Rua/Hendo was better - at one point I thought Rua was going to get a leg or ankle lock on and his takedowns were great in the fifth round. Besides Alvarez and Chandler was hardly an even fight - Alvarez was beating Chandler in the stand up. Rua made a much more impressive come back and dictated the 5th round.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum