The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which is the most important club in your bag?

+14
mystiroakey
Diggers
theeldestboy
oldshanker
puligny
oldparwin
Mary
navyblueshorts
gaelgowfer
Doc
super_realist
Maverick
hend085
barragan
18 posters

Go down

Which is the most important club in your bag? Empty Which is the most important club in your bag?

Post by barragan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:46 pm

Which is the most important club in your bag - Excluding your putter.

For me, I'd have to say my 3iron is the most important. This is because whenever I feel I'm completely in control of my long irons, I feel quite dangerous...

barragan

Back to top Go down

Which is the most important club in your bag? Empty Re: Which is the most important club in your bag?

Post by hend085 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 3:00 pm

my 50 degree wedge. i hit my driver a fair whack so usually ends up being the make or break club in my bag as to whether i have a good round

hend085

Back to top Go down

Which is the most important club in your bag? Empty Re: Which is the most important club in your bag?

Post by Maverick Tue 15 Nov 2011, 3:29 pm

tough call between my 3wood, 52degree wedge and 58degree wedge.

Probably go with the 3wood, based on I use it off the tee so often for positional play and without being in the right position I would be in the place to use my 52 and 58 to attack the pins

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 15 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

My 52 deg and 16deg rescue are the most reliable clubs in my bag, although my 9 iron is making a really strong case for itself these days.

I think my 3 and 4 are requiring more attention, perhaps they feel less loved.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 3:59 pm

just bought a 3-wood myself mav. having never really used one before, i'm absolutely loving the extra dimension its adding to my long game. it is solving several of the tee shot selection issues i was having last season when only carrying a driver and a hybrid(2i) at the top end of the bag.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:05 pm

super, i think my 'long iron love' is due to the course i started playing golf on - f&r. its a course where often a long iron off the tee is a sensible option (as you may remember!)

interestingly, i think i'd go for my 52deg wedge as my 2nd most important club. at the moment. where appropriate, i'm trying to lay everything up to 95 yards which is spot on carry for me.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

My three iron is becoming more friendly with the need to play low stingers at St.Andrews, still needs work but it's definitely improving. I think for the first time in my golfing life i'm actually happy with every component of my bag.
Looking forward to next year as a result. Is there a Duddingston Open early in the season?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:17 pm

3-wood for me as it gets a lot of use, due to not being massivley long. It comes out of the bag on most par 5's and long par 4's. I even use it from the fringe around the greens.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:18 pm

Yep - its usually the last Saturday in May (clashes with Lundin Links). Let me know if you fancy a practice round anytime.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

super_realist wrote:I think for the first time in my golfing life i'm actually happy with every component of my bag.

ditto. the introduction of the 3-wood has been a revelation, even after only 4-5 rounds - i'm not missing the 60deg wedge in the slightest - the 56 is doing the business. loving the feel and control of my new (2nd hand) mizuno mp32 irons. wedges are working well after a year of getting used to them. the hybrid is reliable. putter is a keeper (i tend to be quite loyal with putters anyway). the only club i'd be even a little tempted to look elsewhere with would be the driver - but seeing as it only gets used 4 times a round at home course and once at my away, i think i can live with it. its not that bad really, i've just never really got used to the feel of a driver having grown up on a 5800 yard course.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:41 pm

Played Lundin Links on Sunday Ban, great course and lovely condition. Would be up for Duddington though for a change as I've played The Lundin Open a few times.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:58 pm

I played the Lundin Open 2 or 3 years ago, before I joined Duddy - it was a great experience. I think the practice putting green that day was perhaps the best green I've ever had the pleasure of putting on (the course greens were excellent too). A really nice walk up to the 18th green - grand but on a modest scale - nicely conceived.

Just remembered, the May Duddy open is hcp 5-18 limit. The Scratch open was in October this year, but was cancelled due to severe overnight rain. Wouldn't be surprised if they play it earlier next year to avoid the same thing happening again, I'll let you know when they post the fixtures.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:09 pm

ban_bam wrote:I played the Lundin Open 2 or 3 years ago, before I joined Duddy - it was a great experience. I think the practice putting green that day was perhaps the best green I've ever had the pleasure of putting on (the course greens were excellent too). A really nice walk up to the 18th green - grand but on a modest scale - nicely conceived.

Just remembered, the May Duddy open is hcp 5-18 limit. The Scratch open was in October this year, but was cancelled due to severe overnight rain. Wouldn't be surprised if they play it earlier next year to avoid the same thing happening again, I'll let you know when they post the fixtures.

I used to live in Lundin Links and spent many, many hours honing my putting on that very green as well as my chipping (although that may not be allowed now). No female members but it didn't matter as my annual season ticket was something like £6.50. Cool. The views are pretty good too.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:14 pm

Forgot to mention most important club in the bag thingy. I suppose really, it has to be the driver (or whatever I'm playing from the tee) on the basis that it's a bit difficult to make par from the rhubarb if ya do't get the t-shot away.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:20 pm

Although I've held out for an age, got hold of an Adams Pro Black 16° hybrid not long ago and it's proving itself to be outstanding. The VooDoo SNV80 shaft is great as well. Long enough that I don't find much use for my fairway woods at the moment, sounds great and it's very workable although still hit the odd from-out-of-nowhere rank shot from time to time - hopefully that'll go with time and practice.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Tue 15 Nov 2011, 6:45 pm

Probably my 4 wood - I'm not the longest hitter, so it's the most used club in my bag.
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue 15 Nov 2011, 6:57 pm

The club I could not play golf without, (I think is the same thing) is my 7 iron, for a variety of shots, hitting low shots from under trees, chip and run shots, bunker shots from 20yards+ from the green and many many more situations.

In fact on every set of clubs I have had the most worn club in my bag is the 7 iron.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 15 Nov 2011, 7:08 pm

If it doesn't sound trite the most important is the next to be used. Favourite today is 6 iron!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:44 pm

The club that needs to work for me more than any other is the sand wedge. I use it from 100 yards out, right up to that little dibble out of the greenside rough. Of course from the sand, out of the umbala and if the lie is too bare for a 12 iron flop, then the sw is also used for chipping over obstacles. After the putter, for me, it is the most used club in the bag.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:42 am

I'm going to be just the 2nd person to say the driver is my most important club. Courses here in Dubai tend to be quite long, so there are plenty of holes where driver is the right option. My driver is certainly my most consistent club, and as my middle irons are the weakest part of my game, for me it is critical to have a fairway lie in order to give myself the best chance on approach.

Golf is a whole different game when played from the fairway. Get a good drive away, and not oinly does it do your confidence the world of good but it also means you can be more attacking on your next shot.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:50 am

Driver for me as well. If I can get a decent drive away I feel so much better about the hole.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:01 pm

rescue club taylor made 17.5 tp11- does so much. hit it off the tee miles, shape it high low, fade draw, hook, slice,good bad lies chip out trouble, punch. great club- versitile.

if i had to play a course with one club that would be the club- i reakon i could get close to my handicap with just that club

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Wed 16 Nov 2011, 5:20 pm

oldparwin wrote:The club I could not play golf without, (I think is the same thing) is my 7 iron, for a variety of shots, hitting low shots from under trees, chip and run shots, bunker shots from 20yards+ from the green and many many more situations.

In fact on every set of clubs I have had the most worn club in my bag is the 7 iron.

Oldparwin - I came on this particular post to express this exact sentiment with regard to the 7 iron being my most important club in the bag. My favourite iron for full shots, filled with confidence when I stand over the ball with a full 7 iron approach, can flight it high / low as I feel, love it definitely fave club. Closely followed by 3 iron as it is the club i use most off the tee around my home course.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 16 Nov 2011, 5:27 pm

7 is that club for sure. the perfect angle for a golf trajectory

3 club for me allways is rescue, 7 iron and aw(52)- the 3 most versitle clubs in the bag

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed 16 Nov 2011, 6:10 pm

One more for Driver. Not so much that it is my best but if I drive well the confidence flows into the rest of my game. Even if its not going perfectly knowing that I will be in play for the second and be able to get around the green so worst case should be bogie makes the rest work better.

As far as the club that I would be most gutted to lose it would be the 52 degree as it can be used for most shots from 100 yards in.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:32 pm

Driver for me. It really is the key to my game, if I'm driving well it instils so much confidence in the rest of my game.

No point being great with a wedge if my second shot is always a hack back on to the fairway after a poor drive.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:07 pm

To me (excluding the putter) it has to be the next most important club from within a 100 yards. That has to be my 54 deg which I use for 90/100 yards, near range chips and bunker shots. When that club is fully functioning it saves a lot of the mince dished up by misfiring Driver, utility, or mid iron.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down