The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourites vs Home Favourites

+22
George Carlin
RuggerRadge2611
slartibartfast
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
funnyExiledScot
Imperialbigdave
Dim
radelven
maestegmafia
IanBru
PenfroPete
Mickado
red_stag
OzT
rodders
bedfordwelsh
westisbest
nganboy
Mr Bounce
Geordie
Gatts
kiakahaaotearoa
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Favourites vs Home Favourites - Page 2 Empty Favourites vs Home Favourites

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 15 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok the rules are simple. Pick players from any era from outside your nation to make up a favourites team. These don´t have to be the best players ever but players you grew up watching and took a shine to or players you feel have slipped under the radar or players you thought to be utter legends of the game that you idolised. Then choose players from your own nation to match up against them.

FAVOURITES

15. Serge Blanco For some reason I grew up as a francophile. Maybe Akaroa - a French settlement - was near my home town of Christchurch. For whatever reason, I love watching France play right from when I was a kid. Sure back then you had amusing names like Jean Condom (was his middle name Claude?) but there was nothing amusing about Blanco. More amazing. Such grace and power. Gavin Hastings is a close second but Serge was the man for me.

14. Emile Ntamack I can´t put my finger on why this player stands out for me. But I thought he was very underrated. Such a silky runner and deceptively quick. Selfishly gave the last pass in l'essai de l'autre bout du monde (the try from the other end of the world) and the first man to lift the Heineken Cup.

13. Jacques Fourie This guy is a rock in defence and often doesn´t get his due plaudits but he has a nose for the tryline and is such a strong guy who is able to bust tackles and link up well with his support. If only the Boks played like the Stormers can sometimes.

12. Tim Horan What was not to like about this player? I remember that impressive Australian side full of stars like his centre partner Jason Little or Joe Roff. But this guy was pure class and though we lost plenty against his side, you never stopped marveling at how well he played.

11. David Campese I like guys who are unpredictable. With Campo, he was capable of brilliance and capable of self-destruction. Maybe Quade Cooper gets talked about in those terms but Campo was capable of such brilliance that no matter what he did wrong you always seemed to end up thinking about the brilliant things. Caucau gave some wonderful cameos but Campese had the long illustrious career.

10. Gregor Townsend Not the most adept of flyhalves but I have a lot of sympathy for running first fives (yes that´s what we call them, get over it! SA have 6 on their open sides. If we were all the same then the world would be a boring place and sex would be very creepy). How Scotland could do with his services now!

9. Joost van der Westhuizen Scary eyes and scarier snipes down the sideline. A quick pass and a great assessor of options. A kick over the cover defence, a run down the short side, or head down and bust through the cover. He caused NZ plenty of headaches but you always wished he was on your side. Sorry to hear of his illness. Pichot was a close second for me for his leadership.

8. Sergio Parisse I´m not a fan of pink but this is a player you sometimes wish his Italian blue were a different colour. Like Black for example. Or any good side just to see how good the guy really is.

7. Neil Back Not the biggest guy by any means but certainly the biggest nuisance. Got himself where he shouldn´t have been and part of a terrifyingly effective pack.

6. Thierry Dusatoir This guy has been a one man wrecking machine for NZ. But you have to tip your head at someone who can have so much influence on a game. 2007 and 2011 RWC were almost like one-man shows such was his contribution to bruising defence. Anyone that can have such an influence on a game makes you sit up and notice.

5. Bakkies Botha The pantomine villain easy to hate but his partnership with Victor Matfield has to be one of the most if not the most effective locking partnerships ever. The Boks for me are about intimidation and brute force and no one sums that up better than Botha. Makes you want to run up stairs to the Rocky theme tune and biff the closest person who mocks that grey tracksuit and those fingerless gloves.

4. Nobody or John Eales This guy was a lanky ungainly looking guy. But he kicked the winning penalty goal, he reigned supreme in the lineout and he developed such a name for himself in NZ as the guy whose team was impossible to beat. Plus a nice guy so difficult to hate the guy who inflicted so much damage on my beloved team.

3. Jason Leonard Any front row forward with that many games to the name has to be not only good but an absolute animal. I remember talking to him in a gym in Richmond and saying how much of a muppet he thought a particular sports writer was. As if I needed any other reason to like the guy!

2. Keith Wood The guy was an Energizer Bunny on speed. He often forgot he was a hooker, that he really was on the field and not in a Playstation game on turbo, and did things you didn´t really see from other players. You sometimes thought he wanted to take on the entire opposition and not just in rugby. A fist fight, a game of speed chess simultaneously with all 15 players. He made me tired sitting in my armchair watching the guy.

1. Adam Jones This guy looked like he had been shepherding in a Welsh valley for too long and had taken after one of his flock. Then you saw the destructive force in the scrums and in the tight and you thought you better keep that thought to yourself and wish him the best of luck in the game.

Reserves: In BOD we trust. In his prime such a handful. So much pace, like a loose forward on defence and so much power. Pure class.
Bring on Wilkinson who could bang over a goal from anywhere and a nice lad to boot (excuse the pun)
George Gregan looked like a stick of Rexona Sport. That tackle on Goldie still haunts me as did for a lot of years 4 more years.
Jason White. Not a name you associate with the greats but a player I always enjoyed watching who could be a positive destructive force in a team more used to self-destruction.
Sebastian Chabal Not so much for his rugby but for what you thought he might do. The Rasputin of rugby, he could make children eat their brussel spouts, just get the scary man away from me Mummy!
Os du Randt Bung him on either side, get him stuck into a ruck or a scrum and enjoy the show.

HOME FAVOURITES

15. Christian Cullen Watching him in sevens, watching him in the ABs, watching him for Wellington. It was like an endless youtube video highlights package. One of the most breathtaking runners of rugby ever to grace the game.

14. Goldie or Jeff Wilson. The complete player. He could kick, could step off both feet and he could even hit the winning runs against Australia in a one day cricket match. He often said he valued space because he didn´t want to be tackled. Now we see so many players looking for contact rather than finding ways to avoid it.

13. Smoking Joe Stanley Maybe it was the upturned collar, maybe it was the nickname. But this guy was cooler than Lou Reed growing up for me.

12 Walter Little. Along with Frank Bunce, this guy was the other centre in one of our best centre partnerships ever. He could kick, he could pass, he could find space with his speed and step. He made North Harbour one of the exciting teams to watch in a time when my own Canterbury had the likes of Steve Cleeve and Shayne Philpott and sucked the kumara.

11 Jonah Lomu Not the most complete player by any stretch. Slow to turn back but such an unstoppable force going forward. It was like having a robot on your team and the other team didn´t realise you had a secret weapon. Did things no other player could and the shame with his condition we never got to see him in his full prime. Glad to see he got out of hospital recently.

10 Andrew Merthens. We´ve had our fair share of AB first fives. This one is not the complete player Carter is but he was a great servant for Canterbury and AB rugby. One of my favourite memories of him was putting in a crashing tackle (yes it did happen) and then get up with an expression on his face that said yeah I am the man and you better stay down on the ground and worship me. A character off the field as well with a dry sense of humour.

9. Graeme Bachop One of the most underrated ABs. We would do well to have someone like him at halfback. Such a swift pass, defended like a loose forward and knew how to exploit the short side.

8. Zinzan Brooke. Thought he was a show pony back trapped in a forward´s body. Wanted the world to see that trapped boy inside him. Outrageous long distance drop goals, any excuse to do a fancy pass. I remember I used to call him Robocop as there was a period where he used to swathe his head in bandages and actually seemed to play better when he came back on the field.

7. Michael Jones. Josh Kronfeld could surf but Michael Jones could fly. Oh no that was Michael Jordan. Michael Jones seemed to glide through a rugby field. Such speed. He was a devout Christian that firmly believed it was better to give than to receive. He certainly proved that on the rugby field.

6. Jerry Collins. This was a guy that just loved rugby. Would play for his club if he wasn´t allowed to play for his province or country. I admired his love of the game. Any guy who tries to deliberately lose some of his guns whilst the rest of us are trying to build our biceps up into something respectable says it all. Such a destructive force and was such a nice guy he even once watered the ground so the groundsman didn´t have to bother later.

5. Colin Meads Pinetree was before my time. But I´ve seen plenty of videos of him running down a field with a rugby ball in one hand as if it were a pine cone. Maybe that´s why he´s called Pinetree. More like Kauri though. The Tanemahuta of AB rugby.

4. The Kamo Kid or Ian Jones. Back in the day when you had to jump for a lineout this kid saved our back many a time. Such a gifted jumper you wonder how many modern players would fare in that era.

3. Olo Brown The Silent Assassin, a back so straight in the scrum you could eat a halftime orange off of it.

2. Sean Fitzpatrick The man everyone hated (even within NZ south of the Bombay Hills) but who everyone wanted in their team at the same time. A wise one in the dark arts he took his punishment though when he was found on the wrong side of the ruck back in the days of rucking. Why did that have to go?! OK technically you´re still allowed to but anyone seen lifting a sprig in anger seems to get the whistle now even if the intent is to get the ball rather than scrape a skin handbag off a player.

1. Steve McDowell A judo champ as well as an AB RWC winner. He was a rock in the pack as well as the enforcer. Responsible in part for many humiliations of the Canterbury side, he was nonetheless a hero to me growing up.

Reserves: Glen Osborne. A gangly looking kid but super quick and part of a wonderful 1995 RWC side.
Carlos Spencer: Why not bring on some half time entertainment?
Syd Going Would love to see how the little whippet would do with the big boys of the modern era bearing down on him.
Jerome Kaino: Didn´t think anyone could hit harder than Jerry Collins
Brad Thorn Learnt his new craft and became a stalwart of the team. Put the P in Professional. Makes no sense but that´s what he did anyway.
Kees Meuws Won me so much money on the TAB for a substitute try it beggars belief. Supersub. More like SuperMoneySpinner!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Favourites vs Home Favourites - Page 2 Empty Re: Favourites vs Home Favourites

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:57 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:11 T Evans - Far better player than a pundit.

I'm a better player than Thom Evans is a pundit. How can someone who has had such a rich and varied life be so boring??

In the back of his mind he must have been thinking I would much rather be home in bed with my stunning bird. I know I would be. randy
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:41 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Away Favs :

15. JPR Williams - A player good enough to force Andy Irvine out of the 15 shirt is a player worthy of being entered into my team at 15.
14. Lomu - Speed of an Olympic sprinter and the strength of an Olympic weightlifter.
13. BOD - Ever since he scored that try vs Oz in the 2001 Lions tour I knew he was something very special.
12. Jauzion - Powerful Game breaker.
11. S. Williams - Almost the complete opposite of Lomu but incredible agility.
10. Wilkinson - Sure there are probably more complete fly halves out there, Carter springs to mind. Wilko though is a physical tough fly half and more of my kind of player than Carter.
9. Gregan - One of the best Scrum halves to ever play the game.
8. Chabal - Big, strong and fast. I remember seeing him on the hoof in the mid 2000s thinking this is what Jesus would look like if they had gyms in Judea.
7. McCaw - Best ever openside. Nuff said
6. Pienaar - I know Invictus is just a movie but Pienaar's story and his comitment to the Boks whilst they were emerging from the aparthied era is a testiment to the bridges the sport we love can build. He also tackled well, what more do you need from a blindside?
5. MJ - Failed at the England job but led his team as Captain to WC victory and Captained the lions to a won over the Boks and was unlucky to have not beaten the Ozzies in 2001. I also really like the guy.
4. McBride - Phenomenal man on and off the pitch.
3. Castrogiovani - Probably the best prop in the northern hemisphere. A monster in the scrum and physical and abrasive in the loose.
2. Keith Wood - The 1997 lions DVD/Video inspired me to carry on playing rugby when I felt that I did not want it anymore. I was only 12 but seeing the Passion in Wood's face and voice as he talked it up before the test matches inspired me to dig deep and carry on. I seriously doubt he will ever read this (Keith Wood I mean) but if he does, thank you.
1. Gethin Jenkins - A prop who takles like him and works so hard in the loose is a rare thing.

Home Favs (Scotland)

1 Sole - Has to be, one of my 1st rugby memories at 6 years old was that walk out.
2 Ford - I think we are yet to see the best out of him.
3 Smith - Cornerstone of the Scottish and Lions pack for the best part of a decade.
4 Gray - See 2 above.
5 Brown - A particluarly personal one for me this. In the lead up to the Lions tour to South Africa in 2009 they had Geech, McBride and others talking about their tour in 1977 when they did not lose a match. One of the most touching moments in the series of programms shown on ESPN was McBride talking about his last conversation with Brown as he was dying of terminal cancer. McBride told him that everytime they had played in the 2nd row together they had never lost a match. McBride himself then went on to tell Brown he was the best player he ever played with. It was a lovely thing to see that was very similar to what I was going through at the time with a relative of mine, it made an impression.
6 White - Possibly the hardest tackler to ever play for Scotland.
7 Calder - A Scottish winning Lions captain (a very rare breed)
8 Taylor - Injuries robbed him of the player he could have been.

9 Blair - He was not nominated IRB player of the year for nothing. When the Darkest days of Scottish rugby were upon us Mike Blair was at his best, and it showed.
10 Townsend - What would we have done to have someone with his flair over the past 5 years?
11 T Evans - Far better player than a pundit.
12 Leslie - Big hitter and great with the ball in hand.
13 Tait - Fantastic running centre with pace, power and an eye for the try line.
14 Irvine - At home on the wing or at 15. Only JPR could keep him out of the 15 slot for the 1977 Lions tour and only big Gav can keep him out of it for my Home favs.
15 G Hastings - Apart from that shocking miss in that world cup in 1991, an unblemished career.... more or less. Fantastic with the boot and a dangerous and powerful runner

Absolutely cannot beat that Home Favourites XV, Radge.Favourites vs Home Favourites - Page 2 479796

Might have Paul Burnell and Gary Armstrong in there but apart from that, I've got nothing better. Am very sorry not to have seen Andy Irvine in his pomp.

In terms of other personal favourites from my era:

1. Nobody - astonishing, gangling genius.

2. Blanco - mercurial strike runner. Always went to the bathroom a little when he got the ball against us. A good cheat too.

3. Sella - cannot believe that a centre could hit that hard and be so difficult to stop.

4. Guscott - hate his smug face as a pundit, but as a player he was the best centre I ever saw.

5. Cullen - best broken field runner in history.

6. Tom Smith - harder than a week-old nail pie.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:17 pm

Favourites: Not necessarily the best but my favourites

15 Christian Cullen
14 Philippe Bernat-Salles
13 Thomas Castaignede
12 Phillippe Sella
11 Simon Geoghan
10 micheal Linagh
9 Alesandro Troncon
8 Josh Sole
7 Josh Kronfeld
6 Taine Randell
5 Martin Bayfield
4 Frik Du Preez
3 Olo Brown
2 Sean Fitzpatrick
1 Gareth Chilcott

Home Favourites - As usual I've gone for a mix of Welsh and Scottish...coz I'm greedy

15 Tony Clement
14 Shane Williams
13 Allan Batemen
12 Scott Hastings
11 Roger Baird
10 Craig Chalmers
9 Gary Armstrong
8 Scott Quinnell
7 John Jeffrey
6 Jason White
5 Cameron Murray
4 Ian Gough
3 Adam Jones
2 Gordon Ross
1 Tom Smith
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 22 Nov 2011, 4:00 pm

Don´t be so harsh on that Scottish team lads. Starting with the captain David Sole with that jazzercise headband that looked as though he´d sat on a wall and had a big fall to the legend that was Gaving Hastings to the hard hitting backrow led by White, from one of my favourite Otago players John Leslie to the alchemist Townsend who frequently turned sh**e into gold, there are enough Local Heroes to make a good game of it.

Quite a few mentions of Simon Geoghan. That bowl haircut was a shocker but when he took off with that electric pace you forgave everything. Even the wearing of homespuns in public. Shame injury blighted his career.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Nov 2011, 5:55 pm

Bill McLaren called Geoghan "Little Lightning".
Good times.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:02 pm

Geoghan was the one Irish player who always looked threatening in that era. Shame he had to retire early
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:08 pm

Invariably if you want a good description of a player, you dig up a quotation from Bill. He´s sorely missed.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:17 pm

My personal fave

on Jonah

I am no hod carrier but i would be laying bricks if he was running at me

Perfect

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:19 pm

Nice one Gatts. OK

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:37 pm

Geordan Murphy; Joe Roff, Danie Gerber, Tim horan; Hugo Porta, Fabien Galthie
Zinzan Brooke, Michael Jones, Willie O; John Eales, Norm Hadley; Castro, Hika Reid, Tom Smith

vs

Josh Lewsey; John Carelton, Jeremy Guscott, Tony Bond, Rory Underwood; Andy Goode, Austin Healey; Dean Richards, Peter Winterbottom, Mike Teague; Maurice Colclough, Martin Johnson; Jeff Probyn; Brian Moore, Colin Smart.

In some cases these are the best players I have seen, but mainly they are there because they made me smile.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:29 am

I´m guessing Austin Healey made you smile then mate!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 23 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

My favourites:

Jacobsan- Tubster! OK
Servat- The guy is a machine
Le Roux- Was a cult figure at Leinster what a lad. His name sung to Allez les blues
Mathfield- Always really respected him
Shaw- Liked him commitment and how long he lasted, also good sportsman
Dusatoir- Liked him years and years ago and continue to, great athlete.
Williams- Thought he was a great player was gutted when he missed that kick.
Parisse- One of my favourite players of all time. Really like his undying passion and commitment.
Pichot- Loved how he ref'd games and the Argentine passion for the anthem...wow
Contempomi- Another Argie and cult figure at Leinster.
Robinson- One of the only English players in 03 I liked. Serious feet too.
Giteau- Was a huge fan of his angled runs and dummy switches. Great footballer.
Umanga- Broke BOD, but I still loved the way he played and how he was big and strong yet still skillful.
Williams- Love small lads playing rugby. Great performances against SA 07-09
O'Connor- Love how here is so quick on his feet, so young and is a flair man.

Bench
Lomu- Saw him in Dublin when I was a kid and was astounded even then
or
Evans- Really like Max Evans as a player.
Spencer- Loved how wildly unpredicatble he was
Japanesse RWC 9- Loved the wee Nippy fella
or
Troncon- Love the desire and aggressiveness he showed
Elsom- In 09 form for Leinster, wow what a guy! Carried us really.
Fijian RWC 4- Scored a cracker in their opening game and was a great player throughout
Wright- Big happy head on him always smiling away!
Tongan RWC Hooker- Just for his game vs France!

Scots 2
Welsh 2
English 2
French 2
Italians 2
Kiwis 3
Saffas 2
Aussies 3
Argies 2
Japanese 1
Cook Islands 1
Tongans 1
Fijian 1

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 23 Nov 2011, 2:44 pm

Difficult to get more eclectic than that list. Nice one pete.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 23 Nov 2011, 5:15 pm

Favourites:

Serge Blanco
Jonah Lomu
BOD
Philippe Sella
Campo
Dan Carter
Joost v.d. Westhuizen
Wayne Shelford
Ian Kirkpatrick
Richard Hill
John Eales
Victor Matfield
Os du Randt
Keith Wood
Robert Paparemborde (the guy was terrifying)

Home (keeping it to players I've seen):

JPR
Gerald Davies
Allan Bateman
Jamie Roberts
Ieuan Evans
Phil Bennett
Gareth Edwards
Mervyn Davies
Sam Warburton
Jeff Squire
Delme Thomas
Bob Norster
Gethin Jenkins
Bobby Windsor
Graham Price

I hate to say it, but the Favourites pack would likely win that for them.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2