The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LK's Top 10 Tennis Moments Of 2011 #9 James Ward Stuns The Queens Galleries

4 posters

Go down

LK's Top 10 Tennis Moments Of 2011 #9 James Ward Stuns The Queens Galleries Empty LK's Top 10 Tennis Moments Of 2011 #9 James Ward Stuns The Queens Galleries

Post by legendkillar Wed 16 Nov 2011, 6:50 pm

For too long now we have all heard it. Britain needs a decent male player behind our dear Andy. After Rusedski and Henman bid farewell to the British tennis world in 2007 Andy has been alone. Alex Bogdanovic? Chris Eaton? Dan Evans? All have tried. All have failed. So when Queens came round, was all talk about about Murray? No it was all about Nadal coming to Queens and Roddick aiming for a fifth Queens title. Unknown to them and to all tennis fans a battle of Britain was taking place on day 1 when Dan Evans and James Ward took to the court. Ward came out victorious in straight sets and earned a match against 4th seed Wawrinka on day 2. Then on day 2 Ward pulled off the biggest win of his career and was all set to meet defending champion Sam Querrey. After Ward took the first set, he broke in the second set and another stunning straight victory was on the cards and then Ward was broken back and lost the 2nd set. Most British tennis fans felt that Querrey would then see the match out, but Ward had more in the tank. The cage fighter working with him obviously had transferred some of that fight into Ward as he completed a 3 set victory over the defending champion and was making waves in the British tennis world. Ward had a massive opportunity to make the Semi-Finals of masters event for the first time in his career. Frenchman Adrian Mannarino the 2nd lowest ranked player in the tournament left. Ward completed a stunning 3 set victory and all started to dream of an all British Final!!

All expected Nadal to defeat Tsonga and meet Britain's new tennis hero in the Semi-Finals, but Tsonga had an upset of his own by defeating Wimbledon Champion and World No.1 Nadal. The stage was set. Ward v Tsonga who now captivated tennis fans with his swashbuckling theatrical and stunning net play. Could James do it? Could he beat Tsonga? Was there another twist? Tsonga was ruthless. He took James out in straight sets. Andy Murray won the title and gained some measure of token revenge for Ward. Andy may have had the title, but James Ward won the hearts and admiration from the tennis fans.

Ward now?

Was ranked 216 going into Queens. Is now sitting pretty ranked 159 in the World.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

LK's Top 10 Tennis Moments Of 2011 #9 James Ward Stuns The Queens Galleries Empty Re: LK's Top 10 Tennis Moments Of 2011 #9 James Ward Stuns The Queens Galleries

Post by carrieg4 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 6:58 pm

Great article LK. Here's hoping that Ward can keep up the momentum clap

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

LK's Top 10 Tennis Moments Of 2011 #9 James Ward Stuns The Queens Galleries Empty Re: LK's Top 10 Tennis Moments Of 2011 #9 James Ward Stuns The Queens Galleries

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:35 pm

Yes I second that,

I'm looking forward to the count down.

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:44 pm

Thing that amazes me is what do all these tennis players do for living if/when they realise they aren't going to make any money on the tour despite the years of training and expenses....
I mean, does anyone know what Boggo is doing these days?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:59 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I mean, does anyone know what Boggo is doing these days?

Still plugging away as far as I know, he has just lost a match against Jamie Baker.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:08 pm

carrieg4 wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I mean, does anyone know what Boggo is doing these days?

Still plugging away as far as I know, he has just lost a match against Jamie Baker.

I can't believe it....I hope BBC keeps us updated about his "retirement" Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:41 pm

good article DK, i don't follow queens, but nice to know Ward did some in roads there, it wold have been sensational had he made the finals.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down