The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howley gets an extended contract of four more years with Wales.

+2
munkian
maestegmafia
6 posters

Go down

Howley gets an extended contract of four more years with Wales. Empty Howley gets an extended contract of four more years with Wales.

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:24 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/11/17/rob-howley-signs-new-wales-deal-as-engalnd-man-graham-rowntree-is-linked-with-welsh-role-91466-29790723/

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Howley gets an extended contract of four more years with Wales. Empty Re: Howley gets an extended contract of four more years with Wales.

Post by munkian Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:52 am

Getting Rowntree would be quite a coup.

His head is the closest thing resembling a trophy we've had in Wakes for years Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Howley gets an extended contract of four more years with Wales. Empty Re: Howley gets an extended contract of four more years with Wales.

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:54 am

Good decision. I like Rob Howley, I think he is a smart guy who knows his back play.

Trying to get the players to do what he wants hasn't been easy and in the last few games of the world cup with Wellies and James Hook taking the flyhalf shirt the players reverted to type.

Howley was encouraging a much deeper backline and far more pace pre RWC and for the pre RWC warm up games and up until Priestlamds departure all worked very well.

Glad to see him reinstilled. I am not sure that this will be a popular opinion though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:54 am

Good decision. I like Rob Howley, I think he is a smart guy who knows his back play.

Trying to get the players to do what he wants hasn't been easy and in the last few games of the world cup with Wellies and James Hook taking the flyhalf shirt the players reverted to type.

Howley was encouraging a much deeper backline and far more pace pre RWC and for the pre RWC warm up games and up until Priestlamds departure all worked very well.

Glad to see him reinstilled. I am not sure that this will be a popular opinion though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:58 am

We're both happy with it Maes, that's all that matters thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:41 am

I know he has had a lot of derision across this board and others, but I think he had such a positive impact during the RWC when he had time to work with the team that he should now gain more support.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:45 am

Hmmm weren't a lot of Welsh fans calling for Howley's head prior to the RWC? Headscratch
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:48 am

A lot of Welsh fans are reactionary idiots ... same as any other fans Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

Reactionary, not all idiots though.

When Wales were seen as impotent during the six nations many fans were right to castigate and call for Howleys accountability.

I think in hindsight it was the lack of speed and control of play in the halfbacks plus players naturally lining up much flatter through phase play that was causing issues.

Howley rectified a great deal of that. One of the main culprits for being too flat was Roberts. His positioning in attack coming into the line was awful. Howley encouraged him to lie draper and this brought him into the game much more, once he got the hang of it.

Far more to do with the different backline styles of the blues and Scarlets rather than a coaching problem with Wales.

Blues have dan parks who sits deep or mid and never runs on to the ball, needing a much flatter backline than Scarlets where for most of the season Priestlamds was at ten and taking first receiver at pace, needing a steep backline at full tilt to get momentum.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:06 am

There did used to be an awful amount of crabbing

Wales look alot more patient in attack now... apart from Shane Williams who always tries to make something from nothing Rolling Eyes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:11 am

Has Howley ever looked more like Stan Laurel than in that picture? Classic!

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

munkian wrote:A lot of Welsh fans are reactionary idiots
Munkian, you talk a lot of sense sometimes. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:05 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
munkian wrote:A lot of Welsh fans are reactionary idiots
Munkian, you talk a lot of sense sometimes. Very Happy

I also said

same as any other fans

And you are the case in point Hug
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:07 am

The joys of selective quotation Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 18 Nov 2011, 4:46 pm

I don't think he's the greatest backs coach, but the coaching team seperating was unlikely. I think the backs firing is mostly down to vast improvements up front i:e, the breakdown area. An impotent backline was also partially down to Biggar/Jones, Bishop and Shanklin. What a horrific combo.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 18 Nov 2011, 6:27 pm

Could well be part of it... but i think the way tha the backs naturally try to play differs massively.

Blues, Ospreys and Dragons play with a stationary flyhalf and a flat line as is often found in SH rugby. Scarlets play with depth as the Welsh are taught as kids.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm

He has no independent thought of his own - hence the perfect person to fill the 'yes-man' role in the Gatland/Edwards management structure.

A good re-appointment.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down