The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new golfing advice threads

+6
super_realist
Diggers
drive4show
navyblueshorts
McLaren
barragan
10 posters

Go down

new golfing advice threads Empty new golfing advice threads

Post by barragan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:21 am

I've noticed that of late there seems to have been a bit of a drop in the number of new threads created. No doubt, this is in part due to the conclusion of the main golfing season - however i think there is an underlying slow down which spans back into the end of last season.

In my opinion, the one thing which seems to have dropped off a cliff more than anything else are the 'golfing advice' threads, and this to me seems to be in part due to the general advice sticky that was set up a wee while ago. Personally, i find it a little cumbersome due to having the potential for so many topics contained within a single thread. This means it doesn't really serve its purpose as an accessible reference databank for advice given on specific topics, it just becomes a free-for-all. Quite frankly, we'd be just as well having seperate threads for all the topics discussed. I honestly think these would generate more discussion, as often the advice given on the general thread is superceeded by the next plea for advice, and topics are not scourged to their full potential.

I wonder if we could take this opportunity to streamline the general advice sticky thread in a fashion which would give it more purpose, make it more accessible, and give us a larger variety of 'general topics' being created. My feeling is that a better use of the thread would be to provide links to discussions on topics where advice etc is requested/offered - and set in an appropriate order, for example, grouping putting threads together - rather than being a general free-for-all. The topic could be locked so only appropriate material is dropped in by navy or whichever mod/admin is able to. Otherwise its going to become difficult to navigate.

I enjoy reading bunker/chipping tips etc as threads in their own right - and with a general advice sticky thread providing a catalogue of previous discussions it could work rather well.

barragan

Back to top Go down

new golfing advice threads Empty Re: new golfing advice threads

Post by McLaren Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:18 am

I would say the advice sticky should go. It is much better to have many normal threads with different topics than one thread which is rather undefined.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:19 am

Sounds reasonable...except...someone (me) has to set it up/keep it in order!

What do others think? Something that'll be worthwhile?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:25 am

I see a couple of options here.....

1) Stay as we are, works OK but maybe could be better

2) Individuals start a new thread for a particular request for help as they see fit

3) We have a sticky for each individual aspect of the game ie driving, chipping, putting, bunkers etc.

Option 3 could be good but there is always the chance that we become swamped by stickies which has proved unpopular in the past.

But I'm happy to go with the flow mo1

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:29 am

drive4show wrote:3) We have a sticky for each individual aspect of the game ie driving, chipping, putting, bunkers etc.

Option 3 could be good but there is always the chance that we become swamped by stickies which has proved unpopular in the past...
Could do it via stickies or some sort of sub-section thingy but both those sort of things have generally been nixed as unpopular so not sure what the best solution would be.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:34 am

We need to stop using a bloody sticky for everything. If people want to discuss a certain technical aspect then start a new thread. As I said get rid of the advice sticky as any sticky is a drain on stimulating new threads and discussion.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:35 am

I have to say personally I dont really tend to pay much attention to the stickies. Im more of a new thread reader by and large so would probably miss discussions that generate on the stickies.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:46 am

I think it's a bit of both of what Mac and Diggers say, "sticky" articles have usually run their course, and so new articles are generally more interesting.

I also think that people are gradually realising that articles seeking advice usually include many conflicting opinions about the best way to do something, hence confusion reigns and interest wanes.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:54 am

Though I started a lot of the stickies (or at least the idea to make them stickies), I'm coming to the conclusion the vast majority of them could be done away with. The only time a sticky really NEEDS to be made is for low volume or reference threads where they won't automatically stay near the top but when people may want to refer back to frequently.

Threads like Kwini and Mav's weekly offerings are good enough and popular enough to stay near the top of the listings for a week anyway as are the "how did you game go" etc

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 21 Nov 2011, 12:10 pm

This may cause a debate to resurface which in the past has not gone well so let’s be civil this time to both each other and the mods. We clearly need a golf admin who can maintain the small amount of stickies we need. If mav or davie are still unable to do this then maybe someone else could offer to help keep the golf section running smoothly.

I agree with davie that even kwini’s article does not need to be a sticky and would also reiterate that new threads seem to work a lot better than threads which are supposed to be all encompassing for one topic. Eg the advice thread.

The sort of thing that works well as a sticky is something that will contain important information that we all want to see but may not get many postings. Eg info on a meet up.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 12:28 pm

the fantasy league results and standings thread could be dropped also if ned was happy to include a link to it at the beginning of each new event thread.

i don't mind the advice thread if its a database sort of thing with links to other threads - but obviously that will require a lot of organising by the mods/admins so perhaps its best to let it just die a death.

personally i'd keep the 'tell us about your game' thread as a sticky, along with kwini and mavs current pga and euro tour threads. also, any current fantasy league event, and any current meet up thread - but remove the other meet up sticky.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 21 Nov 2011, 12:31 pm

McLaren wrote:This may cause a debate to resurface which in the past has not gone well so let’s be civil this time to both each other and the mods. We clearly need a golf admin who can maintain the small amount of stickies we need. If mav or davie are still unable to do this then maybe someone else could offer to help keep the golf section running smoothly.

I agree with davie that even kwini’s article does not need to be a sticky and would also reiterate that new threads seem to work a lot better than threads which are supposed to be all encompassing for one topic. Eg the advice thread.

The sort of thing that works well as a sticky is something that will contain important information that we all want to see but may not get many postings. Eg info on a meet up.

We have Navy who is happy to do that
I think we just need to decide what we want as stickies!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:15 pm

Surely this is a simple one - post new requests for advice as new topics, and then once a few replies have been posted and the thread's popularity starts to wane they can be merged into the general advice sticky?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

I started the advice stick on request of many on here but I think in all honesty it has become a bit to convoluted and filled with guff. It was a good idea in general but in practice it doesn't work.

As far as stickies go I think were getting diluted down as many run their course and die a death but folks see them and therefore don't create new topics.

I have asked a few times to get some of mine taken off the tips one included. I think half the stickies we currently have need removing.

We need get back to new threads appearing from all posters and debating those instead of sticking (literally) to the same ones. I'll keep up the Euro tour updates as kwini does PGA, Fantasy league, eclectic and maybe game today but do we need any other than that! Those ones tick over as they are an ongoing thing, but all the others are diluting the forum imo

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:28 pm

Consider some of the stickies gone....

UPDATE: I cut a couple loose. We should lose the 'Awards' sticky soon. Would cut it loose myself but think I'll leave it to Y I.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down