The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McLaren/Honda Link

2 posters

Go down

McLaren/Honda Link Empty McLaren/Honda Link

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:47 am

McLaren are reportedly considering using Honda engines starting from 2014 when Formula 1 shifts to V6 turbo engines.

McLaren currently use Mercedes engines, which Mercedes provides for free, however the deal is due to expire at the end of 2012. Although the deal also states that Mercedes can provide the Woking-based team with the engines until at least 2015 but they will have to pay around eight million Euros for that.

On the other hand, Mercedes now has their own team in Formula 1, the Mercedes GP, due to which reports have been coming that McLaren have already started to look for new engine partners.

Amid reports in Auto Motor und Sport, a German based source has claimed that the Woking team has put down Honda in the list of probable candidates to provide them with engines. Though it unsure whether McLaren will be looking to make the deal by the end of 2012 or will they want the engines starting the 2014 season, which will the beginning to a new era of Formula 1 with V6 turbo engines.

If Honda finally does become the engine supplier for McLaren, it will not be the first time. The duo has collaborated in the past and with success too, between 1988 and 1992. During the collaboration, McLaren claimed four drivers’ titles with the Honda powered engines.

What's everyone's opinions on this, loved the Mclaren-Honda name in F1 back in the day with the success of Ayrton Senna.

Back to top Go down

McLaren/Honda Link Empty Re: McLaren/Honda Link

Post by Belgarion of Riva Mon 21 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

Interesting story. I remember there was some talk of Mclaren building their own engines.

It would be interesting to see the Mclaren-Honda partnership again.

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:51 pm

I think McLaren are only building their own engines for their road cars, such as the MP4-12C.

I can just about remember the last time McLaren and Honda worked together...I shall be watching with great interest to see how this pans out.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

Thanks dryewolfe, I remember hearing something of the sort.

Cheers

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

Yes Dyrewolf, Mclaren are focusing on building their own engines specifically for the Mclaren road cars under the lead of Ron Dennis. On reflection does anyone else think this looks like nostalgia from McLaren? It’s not the 80's/90s anymore…

Of course Honda are very knowledgeable in creating turbo engines but surely a deal is way off and there's still uncertainty and financial questions hanging over Honda isn't there? Do you think this potential deal and Mclaren losing the power and reliability of the Mercedes engine will cause implications in the future of Hamilton at Mclaren in his quest for multiple titles. Another 'potentially' disappointing season next year for Mclaren and with the added blow of losing their engine supplier could sway Hamilton's future.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:12 pm

Well, anything can happen in the future.

I'm a little surprised McLaren are even thinking about looking elsewhere, considering how well the Mercedes engines have served them, but maybe there are reasons for that.

Perhaps Honda can offer them powerplants at less than the €8m price tag Mercedes will charge?

I don't think there are any financial worries about Honda. They pulled out of F1 because it was getting too expensive to run an entire team, for the returns they were getting. Just building a series of V6 turbo engines will be considerably cheaper and is probably decent value for money in return for having their name plastered all over Mclaren's cars and drivers.

I seem to recall the BAR / Honda cars were okay in terms of reliability - just lousy in terms of performance. Wink

As for Lewis Hamilton, I think what will really sway his future is whether or not the team delivers a car at least on a par with Red Bull's entry, if not better. I think both his and Button's main concern right now is whether the team can match Newey and Co. in the car development stakes.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down