The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate my course

+22
oldshanker
ralphjohn69
matelot golfer
Noshankingtonite
George1507
golfermartin
beninho
raycastleunited
Eyetoldyouso
navyblueshorts
barragan
dr_peeps
super_realist
Shotrock
McLaren
theeldestboy
4putt
kwinigolfer
Doc
ScottieD18
Davie
drive4show
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rate my course Empty Rate my course

Post by drive4show Mon 21 Nov 2011, 12:59 pm

We've had a few threads in the past where people have put up links to show their swings, thought I would do something a bit different. My club has just redesigned it's website and it went live last week. So I thought I would put up a link to the new site and people could have a look. Some good pictures in the course section although they don't really show some of the undulations, very hard to capture those in 2D.

Anyone else want to post a link to their club website?

www.broadstonegolfclub.com

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Rate my course Empty Re: Rate my course

Post by Davie Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:05 pm

This is mine...

http://www.sandmartins.com/

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:10 pm

...and mine.

http://www.deesidegolfclub.com/

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:17 pm

Mine and a wee bit cheaper than D4S's cracking Broadstone GC, but a stunning track and great greens

http://www.gorstyhillgolf.co.uk/

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:21 pm

Not where I currently play, but where I hope my ashes are scattered:

http://www.golfclubofnewport.com/

Photographs and hole descriptions don't necessarily do the place justice.
The par 3 holes 4, 13 and 16 have been sadly shortened in the past decade or so; otherwise this is a course that, due to prevailing winds and landing areas, usually plays much longer than its yardage.
Shotrock has asked that he be brought in as a design consultant when I win the lottery and buy the place . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:22 pm

My course when living in the UK.

http://www.willingdongolfclub.co.uk/

None of my present local courses have a website.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:24 pm

kwini

That course looks very unusual in that it has a very British look about it. The photographer has done a good job capturing the autumn colours. If I ever make it to the frozen norths of the USA I'll be tapping you up for a game Smile

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

Davie wrote:This is mine...

The 9th hole is stunning...and looks deceptively easy, right? Nice wide fairway but do those trees overhanging the approach cause a few problems if you've found the left or right of the fairway?
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:32 pm

theeldestboy wrote:
Davie wrote:This is mine...

The 9th hole is stunning...and looks deceptively easy, right? Nice wide fairway but do those trees overhanging the approach cause a few problems if you've found the left or right of the fairway?

Correct TEB - trees actually overhang both to the left and right of the pond, but the ones on the right are the ones really in play. The pond itself if also a nice challenge; for better players it's there to stop them takinga driver off the tee but shouldn't really be in play for them. For the higher handicappers it's a challenge if you are perhaps stretching your second shot and there to catch any "duffed" shots. Being 50 yards in front of the green it really doesn't affect any properly hit shots but gets into your head if "stretching"

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm

This is where my son (seasonally!) works and has been a junior member:

http://www.kwiniaska.com

Some terrific holes, some difficult (especially back nine par 3's 12 and 15), and a couple of over-long forced carries. We'd all make some design changes!

d4s: You're always welcome! Expect to see Haystongolfer first though! A bit more spartan than most British courses I've played; Geoffrey Cornish has designed a raft of courses in New England and Eastern provinces of Canada . . . . I recommended one to Beninho on a recent visit to New England; haven't heard from him since so maybe he's still on Cape Cod.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:41 pm

Ok, I will rate them so far and add mine. Will update my list as new courses added.

1. Broadstone
2. Golf club of Newport
3. Braid Hills (mine)
4. Willingson
5. gorstyhill
6. Deeside
7. Sandmartins

Broadstone looks very nice but cant help but think a few holes need the chainsaw treatment and it would be elevated to another level. I am thinking of visiting Dorset and the south west next summer, if so I hope an offer is open? Pretty please.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:42 pm

So how far is the water? I only ask because sometimes i wonder why archtiect has placed water where he has, like it's a waste and too-easily avoided by better golfers. Like on your course, and without knowing the hole, you say that the water is there to stop players taking driver, suggesting it's "reachable" but not "carryable", so a simple choice is made bu t it kinda forces one styple of play every time.

I would prefer to see architects move cross-fairway water toward the tee, encouraging risk reward. Like on a hole like your 9th, put it at 240 carry and reward the risk-taker with a bit of fairway run afterwards. All too often, most water on courses i play is too easily taken out of play.

Stunning course though mate, in great condition by the looks of things.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm

New ranking to include kwiniaska, another place I hope an offer is open?

1. Broadstone
2. Golf club of Newport
3. Kwiniaska
4. Braid Hills no.1 (mine)
5. Willingson
6. gorstyhill
7. Deeside
8. Sandmartins
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:47 pm

Kwin - I'll let you re-design 11. All I want is is a chainsaw and approval to remove all the trees I desire. (Can I get the OK within the week? I think I'll move a lot of Christmas trees this holiday season.)

My home course website:

http://www.aronimink.org/

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

I'd put my own course (The Old Course) in, but I think Mac would spontaneously combust in his fullsome and Doaklike praise.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm

1. TOC (and other links trust courses as one club)
2. Aronimink
3. Broadstone
4. Golf club of Newport
5. Kwiniaska
6. Braid Hills no.1 (mine)
7. Willingson
8. gorstyhill
9. Deeside
10. Sandmartins

Starting to look like us 606v2’ers can play at some quite good courses on mates rates.

Makes you wonder if a venue for the meet up will become apparent.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:53 pm

McLaren wrote:Ok, I will rate them so far and add mine. Will update my list as new courses added.

1. Broadstone
2. Golf club of Newport
3. Braid Hills (mine)
4. Willingson
5. gorstyhill
6. Deeside
7. Sandmartins

Broadstone looks very nice but cant help but think a few holes need the chainsaw treatment and it would be elevated to another level. I am thinking of visiting Dorset and the south west next summer, if so I hope an offer is open? Pretty please.

Mac

Some of the pics are quite deceptive because there aren't trees in play on many of the holes. A lot of the pics have been taken from vantage points well away from the playing lines and the camera lense tends to foreshorten the perspective. There is actually a tree clearing program going on at the moment as we want to get even more heather back on the course. As if we haven't got enough of it already!!

If you do come down this way, please get in touch as I'd love to have a game with you. I think you are one of the more colourful and interesting characters on here and a game would be a lot of fun thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:55 pm

D4s, sadly the real life mac will provide a distinctly average encounter.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:56 pm

theeldestboy wrote:So how far is the water? I only ask because sometimes i wonder why archtiect has placed water where he has, like it's a waste and too-easily avoided by better golfers. Like on your course, and without knowing the hole, you say that the water is there to stop players taking driver, suggesting it's "reachable" but not "carryable", so a simple choice is made bu t it kinda forces one styple of play every time.

I would prefer to see architects move cross-fairway water toward the tee, encouraging risk reward. Like on a hole like your 9th, put it at 240 carry and reward the risk-taker with a bit of fairway run afterwards. All too often, most water on courses i play is too easily taken out of play.

Stunning course though mate, in great condition by the looks of things.

I'd say the pond is around 300 yards from the tee (can't say more accurately than that as it doesn't come onto my radar until the second shot Wink

I have heard that one of our young pros occasionally takes it on from the tee when messing around but I've never witnessed it; I have seen medium to long hitters get close though with drivers so I assume it is reachable to the longest.

I know what you mean though about "needless" water hazards - as I say it is much more in play for the higher handicappers who may still have quite a carry with their second shot. I have often had to lay up my second after a badly hit tee shot.

To Mac - who ranks it bottom of the list so far - respect your opinions but I can only say, and hope, that is largely because of a pretty mediocre website and the course galleries don't really do it justice. As TEB says, it is pretty stunning in real life and gets lots of praise from visitors and members alike. In fact, IMO the two best holes are 16 and 17 but the photos on the website just don't do them justice at all

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:00 pm

A little bit of history about my old UK golf club.

http://www.willingdongolfclub.co.uk/designer.htm

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:02 pm

Davie

sorry, was just based on website photos. I would not take any ranking seriously when the ranker (me) has not played the course. Just thought a list of where we all play would be interesting. You may as well ignore my rankings.

Despite what super thinks I have a theory that all courses can be infinitely enjoyable with the right company.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

Kwini great looking muni course Very Happy I'm assuming it is at those prices Laugh

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:08 pm

McLaren wrote:Davie

sorry, was just based on website photos. I would not take any ranking seriously when the ranker (me) has not played the course. Just thought a list of where we all play would be interesting. You may as well ignore my rankings.

Despite what super thinks I have a theory that all courses can be infinitely enjoyable with the right company.

Mac, you obviously haven't played Lochgelly or Dunnikier!

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:10 pm

I'm surprised no courses I've played have not came up yet.

Is Deeside near the bottom because some have played it, it's got a poor reputation or is it being judged by website alone (I thought the photos were pretty good).

I'd agree the course is not amongst the best I've played (but it's challanging) but it was in good nick this year and the other facilities are brillient (new clubhouse, 9 holer, covered driving range, large practice putting green and practice pitching green).

We also have Paul Lawrie as a member and he uses the facilities most weeks when at home.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:13 pm

Scottie, it's the course I'd join (if there's not a waiting list) if I moved back up to Aberdeen.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

super-realist,

Waiting list currently 5 years (I got in this year). Used to be 15 years when I was a junior.

Royal Aberdeen would be the best course to join if you moved back to Aberdeen. I think the waiting list is only a year or so but you only get in as a 6 day memeber for the first few years so not ideal. Both Royal Aberdeen and Deeside are about £1K and the same joining fee.

Murcur would probably be the best option. Very good course and good practice facilities and no waiting list or joining fee.

Out of interest, where did you play when you lived in Aberdeen?

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_peeps Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:23 pm

This is not the best course in the area, but its where i grew up and its very handy, which is more important to me than prestige !!.

http://www.westhillgolfclub.co.uk/course.html

dr_peeps

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:23 pm

I wasn't a member anywhere Scottie, but I played at Murcar quite a bit.
I imagine there's much icing of steps to knock a few of the older members of their perches in Winter up there?

Didn't realise those two were so expensive. Makes Trumps new course seem pretty reasonable.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:40 pm

Doc,
Both course links I put up are "semi private", which means public (almost) always welcome but privileges for members. Not sure whether you feel Kwini is expensive or not, Newport considerably less so.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:42 pm

1. TOC (and other links trust courses as one club)
2. Aronimink
3. Broadstone
4. Golf club of Newport
5. west hill golf club
6. Kwiniaska
7. Braid Hills no.1 (mine)
8. Willingson
9. gorstyhill
10. Deeside
11. Sandmartins
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:43 pm

super-realist,

The prices are a bit high. My mate joined Deeside about 6 years ago and it has increased by 50% over that period. I guess there is still too much money in Aberdeen and so long as we have a waiting list the fees are only going one way.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:45 pm

Mac, you don't have to update everytime someone posts a new course. Imagine if everyone did that. No point rating them unless you've played them

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:49 pm

super_realist wrote:Mac, you don't have to update everytime someone posts a new course. Imagine if everyone did that. No point rating them unless you've played them

Agreed. Even dr_peeps would agree Westills is too high on the list (unless the list is a measurement of altitide between lowest and highest points on the golf course). Whistle

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

these are mine, for now:

www.duddingstongolfclub.co.uk

www.fortrosegolfclub.co.uk

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_peeps Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:58 pm

Haha, while were playing point scoring : ScottieD18

Lets just have a little think about courses in Deeside in Order of How good they are !!

Ballater
Peterculter
Banchory
Inchmarlo
Deeside

Paul Lawrie & Deeside are a marriage made in heaven !!

dr_peeps

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:54 pm

This is mine:

http://www.wollatonparkgolfclub.com/

New website that they're still populating with stuff. Just had a look at the photos currently there and....well....they don't do it any justice whatsoever.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:03 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:the photos....don't do it any justice whatsoever.
its amazing how few clubs get photo's professionally taken. just a member with an interest in photography - or more likely a committee member who happens to have a camera, but limited skill in picking out a good shot.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:06 pm

This is mine:-

http://www.whitefieldgolfclub.com/pages.php/course.html

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:07 pm

ban_bam wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:the photos....don't do it any justice whatsoever.
its amazing how few clubs get photo's professionally taken. just a member with an interest in photography - or more likely a committee member who happens to have a camera, but limited skill in picking out a good shot.
That's exactly what they look like to me. Frankly, I could do a lot better myself. In fact, I think I might and ask if they'd like to use them.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:42 pm

drive4show wrote:We've had a few threads in the past where people have put up links to show their swings, thought I would do something a bit different. My club has just redesigned it's website and it went live last week. So I thought I would put up a link to the new site and people could have a look. Some good pictures in the course section although they don't really show some of the undulations, very hard to capture those in 2D.

Anyone else want to post a link to their club website?

www.broadstonegolfclub.com

Very nice d4s. Looks stunning, but as you say it's hard to capture the undulations. The 7th looks a cracking hole from the photo's.

A very bold strapline on the website: "the premier heathland course in the south of England". Would you agree with this? That is some claim when Sunningdale and Walton Heath to name but two would aspire to this title.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:14 pm

Kwini,

I returned from New England but the closest to golf i got was a massive cape cod crazy golf course. Which was surprisingly good fun. Did love New England, and am now a Pats and Red Sox fan.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:17 pm

Beninho -

A Red Sox fan?? Don't put anything in writing! You can do much better than that!

Glad you enjoyed New England, beautiful part of the country.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:18 pm

ray

I think the claim is aimed at the area outside the Surrey heathland area and if that is the case then yes, I would say it is.

To be honest, as a layout it is right up there with the best Surrey has to offer. There is a massive variation in holes, only 2 of the 18 holes are vaguely similar and even then there are marked differences.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:37 pm

Welcome back beninho!!!! Your ears must have been burning - hope you had a great time.
Shocking admission about the Red Sox though . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:49 pm

In my mind, the south of England is anywhere south of, say, Milton Keynes. But anyway Broadstone looks fantastic! The tee shot on the 1st looks like a slicer's nightmare... I bet a lot of rounds begin with a search in the heather!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:51 pm

beninho wrote:Kwini,

I returned from New England but the closest to golf i got was a massive cape cod crazy golf course. Which was surprisingly good fun. Did love New England, and am now a Pats and Red Sox fan.

R Pats? Sorry Beninho, I didn't realise you were a teenage girl. laughing

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:53 pm

Well its either the Red Sox or the Mets, the Mets as a friend in Manhatten keeps buying me items, but the Fenway Park tour was good, though also now have to choose between the Giants and the Pats. As have shirts for both.

Really like Boston, a little bit less manic then NYC.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:02 pm

Here is my place:

http://www.oldfoldmanor.co.uk/course.html

You can click on the camera icons on the course planner to see the different views which is quite neat. However, to be honest, the photography is awful. The photos are very old and the angles are a bit odd too.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:48 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Here is my place:

http://www.oldfoldmanor.co.uk/course.html

You can click on the camera icons on the course planner to see the different views which is quite neat. However, to be honest, the photography is awful. The photos are very old and the angles are a bit odd too.

ray

We had the '606 Southern Open' there in the summer, there were 6 of us if memory serves me right. Had a really good day, everyone enjoyed your course. Greens were very true. Quaint clubhouse as well with little alcoves hidden away.

And yes, a lot of rounds at Broadstone start with a drop out of the stream which runs all the way down the right of the fairway or a hack out the heather if even further right!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:18 pm

Great thread, d4s, some of the courses look beautiful. Broadstone for instance. It made me check out the website for Stoneham which I'd never done. Can't remember a thing! Not even able to identify some holes that I can picture in my mind. I wonder if they did some re-routing when they re-did the course. Oh well.

Looking at some of these courses reminds one that you don't have to play "trophy" courses all the time to golf on a course that you really enjoy. Fits your eye and fits your skills.

Only thing standing between me and trying some of the less heralded, but absolutely superb, courses is time and money.

I have a habit of looking at every hole I play and considering what, if anything, I'd like to do to change it. No doubt we all do, but none the less fascinating for all that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next