The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic test event

4 posters

Go down

Olympic test event Empty Olympic test event

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:15 pm

The test event for next year's Olympics starts this week. It isn't a qualifier, but GB, Ireland, Russia and France amongst others are all sending teams, so the competition should be fierce.

GB have just released their team.

At light Fly, Charlie Edwards has again been selected. He is the standout in GB at this weight, but at the age of 18, has little international experience. He will be a certainty to be selected for the qualifier.

At Bantam, Commonwealth Champion Sean McGoldrick has been picked. Luke Campbell has already qualified for next year, but should be a good experience for the Welshman.

Martin Ward is again picked over Iain Weaver at Lightweight. He is in pole position for the spot, but needs a good performance here after disappointing in the Europeans and the Worlds.

Tom Stalker has qualified at light Welter, so Scotsman Josh Taylor is representing GB. Fred Evans is selected at Welter, but he has already qualified for the games.

With Ogogo recovering from shoulder surgery, Callum Smith, one of the famous Smith brothers from Liverpool, is picked at middleweight. If he does well then he could be selected for the qualifier.

Simon Vallily has been dropped in favour of Warren Baister at Heavyweight. Similar situation with Smith, a good showing and he will go to the final qualifier.

GB chose not to participate in the Flyweight, Light Heavy and Super Heavy division.

Ireland have also selected their team. Declan Gerraghty is picked at Bantam, but John Joe Nevin has already qualified. Similarly, Conrad Cummings is picked at middle, though Darren O'Neill has qualified. David Oliver Joyce is again picked at lightweight. Was truly unlucky not to have qualified in Baku, but still seems to be Ireland's first choice lightweight. Con Sheehan is again picked at Super Heavy.

The only surprising choice is that Kenny Egan has moved back down to light Heavy. After Defeat to Joe Ward at the Irish Seniors at Light Heavy, he moved up to Heavyweight, but was resoundingly beaten in the second round in Baku. If he decides to stay at the weight then whoever wins the seniors next year will box at the qualifier. Tommy McCarthy takes Egan's spot at Heavy as a result.

Strangely, there is no tickets available for the public. It's a shame, as there is a world class field on show. Hopefully the BBC or Boxnation televise it.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Olympic test event Empty Re: Olympic test event

Post by Steffan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:18 pm

Heres hoping the Welsh fighters are successful Wales

Would love one of them to bring home a gold next year

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

Yep, bring that gold back to Britain......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:41 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Yep, bring that gold back to Britain......

Theres is nothing to bring back being as the Olympics and medals are already in Britain Doh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:46 pm

Does anyone rate Robert McCracken as a coach then?

I assume he will be in the fighters corners at each fight

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:47 pm

So where exactly would the Welsh boxers you refer to "bring home a gold"? My point was they're competing for Britain, not Wales.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:So where exactly would the Welsh boxers you refer to "bring home a gold"? My point was they're competing for Britain, not Wales.

Im not having a nationality debate as I dont want to get into trouble with the mods. All I said is good luck to the Welsh fighters

So...Robert McCracken. Do you rate him?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:07 pm

Have to say he's done an excellent job Steffan. I know you aren't particularly fond of him due to his affiliation with Froch, but there is no doubting the achievements of the team.

Considering only one of the 2008 Olympic team stayed amateur (Bradley Saunders), he has created another top class team in the space of a few years. Obviously the boxers are a talented bunch, and deserve a lot of the credit, but under his guidance they really have moved to another level.

Irregardless of whether Froch defeats Ward, he must be a front runner for coach of the year at the Sports Personality of the year awards, and the team itself must be up there in the Team of the year category.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:12 pm

So who would you say has the best chance of winning gold? I dont know much about the fighters apart from Selby to be honest

Agree that McCracken has done a good job from what the results show

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:25 pm

You'll be happy to hear this, but if I had to put money on one, it would be Selby. Agonisingly lost to Aloyan in the final, but can easily turn that round in the next year.

There is alot of classy fighters at light welter, so Stalker will be up against. Campbell also has a great shout, but that Cuban Bantam looked superb, He was lucky to get the decision in the Semi against Nevin as well.

Joshua has a decent shout, Super Heavy Is the weakest division. If Cammarelle can't regain form, then it's wide open. Evans, the other Welshman, could win a medal, but Sapiyev (Kazakhstan) and Selestyuk (Ukraine) will be tough to beat.

But with a Home crowd roaring them on, and a guaranteed seeding, any GB boxer who qualifies is in with a chance.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:36 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:Have to say he's done an excellent job Steffan. I know you aren't particularly fond of him due to his affiliation with Froch, but there is no doubting the achievements of the team.

Considering only one of the 2008 Olympic team stayed amateur (Bradley Saunders), he has created another top class team in the space of a few years. Obviously the boxers are a talented bunch, and deserve a lot of the credit, but under his guidance they really have moved to another level.

Irregardless of whether Froch defeats Ward, he must be a front runner for coach of the year at the Sports Personality of the year awards, and the team itself must be up there in the Team of the year category.

Hello George Bush Jr. We have misunderestimated you.

As to the rest - I wholeheartedly agree - 1 team can be luck two exceptional teams in a row is not a coincidence.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:51 pm

Haha, apologies for the poor English, although it is my second language...

Terry Edwards was the coach at the last Olympics, he was sacked afterwards and McCracken replaced him. Seemingly, he laid a lot of the groundwork, and McCracken has continued on with it.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:53 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:Haha, apologies for the poor English, although it is my second language...

Whats your first?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:58 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:Haha, apologies for the poor English, although it is my second language...

Terry Edwards was the coach at the last Olympics, he was sacked afterwards and McCracken replaced him. Seemingly, he laid a lot of the groundwork, and McCracken has continued on with it.

I thought Mcracken was background staff?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:19 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:

I thought Mcracken was background staff?

He may well have been, but I wasn't aware that he was. When the fella (can't remember his name) who replaced Edwards resigned after the World Champs, I thought they went for a whole new approach with McCracken. I'm probably wrong though. I follow the Irish amateurs more.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down