The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

+26
Tiler76
Faldono1fan
LadyPutt
Scottrf
ADMIN
Union Cane
HERSH
dummy_half
Davie
Adam D
AlexHuckerby
ScottieD18
Fists of Fury
super_realist
lorus59
kwinigolfer
Mad for Chelsea
NedB-H
Noshankingtonite
McLaren
Diggers
sportform
JAS
Maverick
Doon the Water
delToro87
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Empty BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by delToro87 Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Nominees for BBC SPOTY have been revealed, Darren Clarke, Luke Donald and Rory McIlroy have all been nominated:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/sports_personality/15920702.stm

That's pretty impressive for the sport of golf, though I suppose it means that the 'golf vote', which is relatively low anyway, will likely be split three ways, so I can't see any of them winning it, which is a shame. I reckon it'll go to Cavendish, or maybe Farah.

delToro87

Back to top Go down

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Empty Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by ADMIN Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:13 am

The global option is now available if you wish to take part in the debate with non golf members. If you wish to send me any write ups on Donald, McIlroy or Clarke please drop me a PM.

OK

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Empty Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by LadyPutt Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:18 pm

The triumphant European Solheim Cup team are also up for the Team of the Year award - another nomination for golf. Pity they didn't include the Walker Cup team as well!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:57 pm

The stand out achievement for me is Mcilroy's win in the US Open. Would have been a staggering win even without what happened at Augusta (which most sports fans would have watched). I think what Cav has achieved is tremendous, but unless it's the olympics it won't register with the public. The world athletics was on channel 4? So not sure Farrah and Greene have much chance. Donald's exploits will not register with the general public and I think Cook will not win because he has just been one element in a very good side.

Darren may have a chance because The Open will be seen by a wider audience and it was a great story.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Diggers wrote:I thought it was always from a shortlist chosen by "experts". Id vote for Farah personally.......not that I'll vote......great story, good guy and an amazing achievement. Agree re Cavendish, great year as well.
Golf wise Id go Donald but the public wont, I think DC has a chance as the whole of Ireland will vote for him and probably for Rory as well.
But ultimately....who really cares.

Pretty much sums up how I feel, although I don't really know enough about Cav or Farah's achievements to comment. None of the golfers will win because the vote will be split 3 ways, as many others have commented.

I think SPOTY is pretty mickey mouse anyway, it seems too contrived and lacks any real meaning or context in my opinion. I'm sure Lukey will be much more interested in a vote the other side of the pond.....

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:30 pm

If I voted, which I don't and won't, my vote would go to ether Mark Cavendish or Mo farah

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:21 pm

I also think it will go to Cavendish. Even though it is a team event, he still has to be in the right position at the right time - and I agree he is almost "carried" to the position. For him to win that many times on one Tour is fantastic. I think he has mellowed a bit as well from his earlier brash persona. Tour covered by terrestial TV whereas Lukes exploits mainly seen on Sky. Same for McIlroy. I think DC will be 2nd or 3rd. (Slightly off topic: Does anyone else remember the brouhaha when fisherman Bob Nudd was "disqualified"? The Angling Times published a copy of the voting form in their paper and loads of anglers voted for him. The Beeb "removed" 100,000 of his votes.)

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:36 pm

McLaren wrote:Did Catriona Matthew get a nomination in 2009 for winning the open, after all that is all Clarke has done?

The issue with clarke is that he is not one of the top performers in his sport and fluked a good week at the right time. People like McIlory and Donald have been at the top all year and even the likes of Rose and Laird have had a better year than Clarke. When you are at best the 10th or so best performing athlete in your sport from the UK how can you be on the list?

I would say the top performing UK sportsperson this year has been Jenson Button who has outperformed both his car and Lewis Hamilton, two very difficult feats. His win in Canada was the equivalent to someone overhauling a 5 shot lead on the final day of a major without the field coming back to you. Despite Vettel having a far superior car Button almost won more points in the second half of the season than him.

There is no doubt it is the best season Button has had in terms of performance and he has been nominated before. I know little of cycling but if Cavendish can get on the list for great rides without the big title then button should be on it for his immense drives this year.

As impressive as Buttons win in Canada was, the fact of the matter is he was utterly dwarfed by Sebb. Kuddo's to him its good to see him taking it seriously these past few years and looking like he cares rather than swaggering about Monaco as a rich playboy, and its great that he gained so many points (7 more i believe than Vettels total last season) but Vettel was totally out of sight.

However It's pretty laughable that you're classing him as Britains top performing sportsperson of the year (IMO), there are many others more deserving some of which haven't even been given a look in: Brownlee brothers, Helen Jenkins are beating everyone in world triathlon events, Mo Farrah breaking world/British 5/10K records, Becca Adlington winning World Gold to go alongside the past Olympic Gold.

Regarding Cavendish, what do you mean by he didn't win the biggy? He's a sprinter, he did win his biggy!! And a truly outstanding feat. He would be my vote for the win, incredible season.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:58 pm

Button wouldn't make my top 10 I'm afraid.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 am

Gary

If someone else in your sport having a better season ruled out a nominee then why are McIlroy, clarke, murray etc on the list. So to say Vettel having a better year than Button rules out Button is a little odd.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:02 am

Was as surprised not to see Button on the list as I was to see three golfers.

Even more surprised by the absence of women - seems a travesty.

But anyone putting Berbatov and Toure on the list, as the MEN did, opens the entire process up to ridicule. Good Lord, we'll have newspapers hacking phones next. Nah.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:53 am

Mac, please stop banging on about button. He's not in it for a very good reason.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:46 am

This may be politically incorrect but I wish they had left seperate mens and womens sections.
In most sports men and women will never be equal.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 am

By the same token though Doon. Golfers are not the same as Cricketers are not the same as Cyclists etc etc. The whole concept of this award needs to be taken a little less seriously. Having separate awards based on gender would be a backward move in my opinion. As an aside I noticed yesterday that the newly crowned women's world surfing champ (Carissa Moore) is competing against the blokes in the season ending Triple Crown of Surfing in Hawaii, fair play to her I say.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Look this is just a tuppenny ha'penny award that means absolutely nothing to anybody, unless you watch the BBC, and lets face it, those who watch sport do not watch the BBC, as apart from football, they do not show any live sport events

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:20 pm

oldparwin wrote:Look this is just a tuppenny ha'penny award that means absolutely nothing to anybody, unless you watch the BBC, and lets face it, those who watch sport do not watch the BBC, as apart from football, they do not show any live sport events

Don't think i've heard a more accurate statement surrounding the SPOTY award, well said OP. At the end of the day how many people voted for in these awards have really done much in way of sport on the Beeb this year.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2