The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

+45
Grizzly
kwinigolfer
time please
djlovesyou
Tranquil Chaos
Kay Fabe
jbeadlesbigrighthand
geoff998rugby
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
JDandfries
CaledonianCraig
Pal Joey
Gibson
erictheblueuk
guildfordbat
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Davie
azania
Super D Boon
GG
Derbyblue
B91212
Adam D
damngoodOvalball
McLaren
Diggers
Yadsendew
TopHat24/7
Faldono1fan
AlexHuckerby
cabbagesandbrussels
Rava
super_realist
Gentleman01
beshocked
Mad for Chelsea
Fists of Fury
88Chris05
LondonTiger
Rowley
Scottrf
skyeman
Union Cane
The Galveston Giant
ADMIN
49 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Who should win the SPOTY?

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 17 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 6 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 6 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 10 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 8 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 19 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 14 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 35 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 20 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 23 ]

Total Votes : 158

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Empty BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by ADMIN Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

First topic message reminder :

The BBC have announced this year’s nominations for the Sports Personality of the Year and they are as follows:

Alistair Cook
Amir Khan
Andrew Strauss
Andy Murray
Dai Greene
Darren Clarke
Luke Donald
Mark Cavendish
Mo Farah
Rory McIlroy

I’d like to ask people who are knowledgeable on any of the above nominations to submit to me a brief paragraph or two with the nominees achievements over the past 12 months and the reasons for why they should be included. If you are interested in this please PM me.

Do you agree with the nominees? Are there any glaring omissions? And most importantly who do you think will win?

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Empty Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:09 pm

Agree, they shouldn't be released whilst a player is still playing but I guess they often do because the player in question is going to want to make money whilst they're still hot, so to speak. If they were to suffer an incredible drop in form and found themselves in the wilderness their pulling power for such deals would be dead in the water, so in that sense you can see why it happens.

Definitely takes something away from the book though, given that they haven't had time to reflect on anything, and have an incomplete story. An example with KP would be the whole captaincy saga and the falling out with Peter Moores, along with Swann's comments about him and the successes of his double tons in Australia and against India etc. No doubt he will bring out another in the aftermath of his career, but one has to think it would have been better served inside one book, which would have made a corker.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 2 Empty Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:14 pm

That is my issue with them Fists, you know there are issues they discuss where you are not getting their true feelings on, look in boxing at No Ordinary Joe, am sure Joe has opinions on Warren and his failure to secure bigger fights sooner but is hardly likely to express them with both barrels for as long as he is with him, is always going to be skirting round such things.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:40 pm

Rory for me. His performance in the US Open after capitulating at the masters was extraordinary. I think Cook and Donald have been very consistent in both of their respective sports and Cavendish,Farrah and Greene have some great achievements to look back on. Darren might win some sentimental votes for eventually winning a major when everybody except him thought it was too late.Nice story, but Rory's achievement was exceptional.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

Of the three golfers, Rory would get my vote. Clarke's win was a great story, but the golf Rory produced at the Us was exceptional. Still ranks below Cavendish and Farah for me though.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:50 pm

It was an exceptional win, but he has to lose a lot of points for bottling it so spectacularly earlier in the year. Not sure any of the golfers are worthy, in honesty.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

Anyway, while I'm on my "Cavendish for SPOTY" campaign, here are two vids of his main achievements this year:

1) His five TdF stage wins.

2) The last 5 km of his win at the Worlds.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:06 pm

FOF - Surely he must gain points by recovering from this collapse so quickly and so spectacularly? I think the public like someone who fights back. I'm struggling to understand at what point golfers would become worthy. Between all 3 they won 2 majors and both money lists? Wouldn't mind seeing Cookie win as I am a cricket fan as well.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:12 pm

If I had to rank them I'd go
1) Cavendish
2) Farah
3) McIlroy
4) Cook
5) Donald
6) Strauss
7) Khan
8) Clarke
9) Greene
10) Murray

or something similar

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:16 pm

Rory Mc for me. Cav's been excellent but, whilst he won plenty of stages, and the green jersey, he didn't actually win the Tour. Those (admittedly impressive) achievements are on par (no pun intended) with Rory in the Masters, amazing performance but just didn't win it overall.

The fact he then went an won the US Open (a major) accomplishing along the way: record ever score (16 under) beating greats Nicklaus & Woods by a massive 4 shots; first ever play to get to 13 under in the tournament; lowest 2 day total ever (11 under); fastest ever double-digit under par in the tournament history; lowest 3 day total ever.

In short, amazing.

Special mention to Mo Farah who takes 2nd place for me having had a phenomenal year, Cav who takes third and Murray the perennial bottle-job who shouldn't even be on the list!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:19 pm

Union Cane wrote:...and the golf section wonder why nobody likes them.

A little harsh there Mr. Cane, but there again, I suppose all the other sections are without the odd plank or two.

As a disliked old fart of a golfer that also enjoys other sports, I have gone for an individual. Whereas to us golfers, Rory and Darren's Majors wins were something very special; it is my view that the superb achievements of Mark Cavendish would make him a worthy winner.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

Cavendish can't win the tour, he's a sprinter! To say it's on a par with Rory at the Masters is wrong, it's like saying Thierry Dusautoir didn't deserve to win IRB rugby player of the year because he didn't score many points. In cycling, like in many other sports (although not golf) different people have different roles. Cavendish's role is to win sprints, which he did remarkably well all year. Also, he won the Worlds, which is arguably the greatest achievement in cycling for a sprinter.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:It was an exceptional win, but he has to lose a lot of points for bottling it so spectacularly earlier in the year. Not sure any of the golfers are worthy, in honesty.

Come on FoF, although Donald did not win a major, he has had a spectacular year. Winning many tournaments, and if not winning almost always being in the top five. The first player ever to top both the PGA and European money lists. Became world No1. And imo been the most consistent sportsman of the year.

These achievements are surely worthy.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:24 pm

Lots of bleating from female "athletes" about no women being on the list.

Look at what happened the last time a bird won it...it discredited the whole event...

No women on the list BECAUSE NO WOMAN HAS DONE WELL ENOUGH!!!!

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:27 pm

I'm no sexist, but cabbage is right on this one. The women just haven't achieved that much this year. I mean, who really would deserve to be on the list, instead of any of the ten candidates? Just can't think of any myself.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:28 pm

Faldono1fan wrote:FOF - Surely he must gain points by recovering from this collapse so quickly and so spectacularly? I think the public like someone who fights back. I'm struggling to understand at what point golfers would become worthy. Between all 3 they won 2 majors and both money lists? Wouldn't mind seeing Cookie win as I am a cricket fan as well.

I agree on this for McIlroy, the manner in which he recovered from such an epic choke to then turnaround and win the US showed real character to me and that's why he got my vote.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Cavendish can't win the tour, he's a sprinter! To say it's on a par with Rory at the Masters is wrong, it's like saying Thierry Dusautoir didn't deserve to win IRB rugby player of the year because he didn't score many points. In cycling, like in many other sports (although not golf) different people have different roles. Cavendish's role is to win sprints, which he did remarkably well all year. Also, he won the Worlds, which is arguably the greatest achievement in cycling for a sprinter.

Still doesn't change the fact that the Yellow Jersey is the marquee event. Winning the Tour de France puts your name down in history, no matter how many excellent second-tier achievements you make.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:I'm no sexist, but cabbage is right on this one. The women just haven't achieved that much this year. I mean, who really would deserve to be on the list, instead of any of the ten candidates? Just can't think of any myself.

Becky Adlington won gold and silver at the swimming world champs this year. Not too shabby really being best in the world, I think if a bloke had done the same he would be on the list. She probably suffers from past achievments winning double Olympic gold and breaking a world record. Brits winning global swimming medals is still a pretty rare event, especially golds, and she if putting together a bit of a collection. If she wins an Olympic title next year she'd have to go down as Britains best post was swimmer id guess.

Last edited by Diggers on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:37 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:I'm no sexist, but cabbage is right on this one. The women just haven't achieved that much this year. I mean, who really would deserve to be on the list, instead of any of the ten candidates? Just can't think of any myself.

Exactly, when that posh horsey bird won it for some fringe level event and having no public persona the whole award looked a joke.

Next year the women might be back in the shout as we have some excellent female athletes like Ennis and Pendleton. That young weight-lifter girl would be in with a shout for Young SPOY too.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

Yes I'd forgotten about Addlington, my bad. She possibly deserves to be on the list, though again the swimming world champs aren't the pinnacle of the sport (the Olympics are). I'm sure next year things will be different.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

Rory does indeed gain points for his comeback, it showed a hell of a lot of character and steel. He gains stacks of points for that. The negative of his capitulation cannot be ignored, but on the balance of things he definitely ends on a positive note as opposed to negative.

Had he won both, he would be a shoe in for this award.

Skye - maybe a little harsh, impressive achievements from Donald, but in such an individual sport wins in the big tournament are what define you.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:40 pm

It the win by the Royal Horse wasn't bad enough (clearly an underground effort by the equine community) the win by Giggs the following year was even worse. Great career he's had, but he'd had an ordinary year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:41 pm

yeah Giggs would have deserved a career achievement award, but him winning SPOTY was a complete joke!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

Adlington was apparently 1 vote behind Amir Khan to make the list.
It's voted on by 27 different sports experts from different newspapers and magazines in the UK:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/sports_personality/15895642.stm

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:47 pm

well I personally feel Addlington would be more worthy than Murray TBH. I'm a big fan of Murray and he had his best year yet, but he didn't win a Slam, nor did he finish n°1 (or even any higher than previous years). Sure, reaching all four slam semis was impressive, but more so than winning a world title? Probably not IMO. Don't really know enough about boxing to comment on Khan's achievements.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:49 pm

You do have to seriously question why Zoo and Nuts are given a vote on this.
And the bias towards Manchester based sportsmen/women in the MEN vote is ridiculous.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm

Hmm looking through those lists Alistair Brownlee is another I'd forgotten. Dominant throughout in the triathlon, deserves a shout? Sport probably not mediatised enough though. Good to see Cavendish made nearly all the lists...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:53 pm

As I said on the first incarnation of this thread before the golfers got uppity the award should go to Jenson button if we believe the criteria for winning is based on performance.

Although only second in the championship he was the best driver relative to the performance of his car along with Alonso. He also managed to beat lewis Hamilton and become the first team mate ever to do so. On top of this he won three grand prixs one of which ranks among the all time top wins. This of course being Canada where he came all the way back through the field of the longest ever gp to beat vettel on the last lap.

If Cavendish can get on the list for winning stages or smaller events then buttons achievements should have been enough for a nomination. In fact he won more points this season in the championship than vettel did when winning the championship last year. (270 v 256)

Button was also very close to beating vettel in terms of points gained in the second half of the season despite vettel still having a far superior car.

It has also been accepted by all those in the know about f1 that Button is driving a lot better now than when he won the championship in 2009 and he got a nomination then.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

Mac, there have been far too many performance on an individual level this year for Button to get a look in, good as it was (for a rubbish "sport") it doesn't merit a nomination for SPOTY.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

The World Championship is not a "smaller event", sorry. And winning the Green Jersey is a worthy achievement in itself too. Button for me ranks a bit alongside Andy Murray: both had good years, were consistent, etc. But ultimately Button didn't win the title. Not his fault maybe, but there you go...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:01 pm

I don't think people realise how big Cavendish is on the continent. He's basically as big as Beckham was in his pomp.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:13 pm

super_realist wrote:I don't think people realise how big Cavendish is on the continent. He's basically as big as Beckham was in his pomp.

cider
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:25 pm

I am not an overly keen cycling fan, but the feats by Cavendish this year would not surprise me if he were to pick up the award.

But one thing i have noticed about the sport, is that without his team mates, he like all cyclist's on the road would not win anything. Thus relying on others to help.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm

How many sports don't have a team or back up team of people?
Let's not forget he actually wins things, a rare thing in British sport.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:31 pm

super_realist wrote:How many sports don't have a team or back up team of people?
Let's not forget he actually wins things, a rare thing in British sport.
Yeah because the others on the list don't win things Rolling Eyes

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:37 pm

Scotty, less of the rolling eyes, I was referring to how people are demeaning Cavendishes achievements because he didn't win the TDF (as if that's all there is to win)

He's certainly won more of note than Cook/Strauss/Murray and Khan this year.

Thank goodness there are no footballers or Rugby players in there.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:43 pm

Well I'm referring to you demeaning British sportspeople's achievements when the success is clear in that list.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:44 pm

"I was referring to how people are demeaning Cavendishes achievements because he didn't win the TDF (as if that's all there is to win)"

I could easily rephrase that as;

"I was referring to how people are demeaning Buttons achievements because he didn't win the drivers title (as if that's all there is to win)"
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:44 pm

super_realist wrote:Scotty, less of the rolling eyes, I was referring to how people are demeaning Cavendishes achievements because he didn't win the TDF (as if that's all there is to win)

He's certainly won more of note than Cook/Strauss/Murray and Khan this year.

Thank goodness there are no footballers or Rugby players in there.

Sorry, but i must disagree.

As i said, i could see Cavendish winning the award, but the Ashes and No1 ranking are a bit more than a note Wink

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:45 pm

Khan has unified (to an extent) the super-lightweight championship of the world.

Alastair Cook has won the Ashes in Australia, a home series against Sri Lanka and a home series against India, whilst scoring a stack of runs along the way at enormous averages.

Want to revise your comment?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:47 pm

Cricket, are you serious? The Ashes is a 50/50 coin toss.
Winning that is hardly an international achievement while World Cricket is in a bit of a crisis.

Mac. Cavendish has performed far and above anything like Button has this year.

I'm not even a cycling fan, but he's performed better than probably any other British sportsmen in his field this year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

to be quite frank though McLaren, in F1 the drivers title is pretty much all there is to win. Sure there's the constructor's championship but that's even more down to the car, and Button didn't win that either. Then there's individual races, which are great, but not enough for me to displace any of those on the list.

The cricketers are worthy nominations though, reaching n°1 in the world is a hell of an achievement. However, it was such a team effort I don't think giving it to one of the individuals would be quite right.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

So super

You know nothing about cycling or F1 but feel happy to make that comment?

Mad for chelsea

There are also 18 races to win and ten points positions every race.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

I wouldn't have Golfers, F1 or Cricket anywhere near such a list. They don't fit my definition of sport I'm afraid.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:51 pm

Is there any great skill involved in cycling though?

As far as I can see it is just a question of stamina, who can spin their legs round the fastest for longest.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:51 pm

super_realist wrote:Cricket, are you serious? The Ashes is a 50/50 coin toss.
Winning that is hardly an international achievement while World Cricket is in a bit of a crisis.

Absolutely, you only have to look over the last fifty years how many countries have absolutely dominated Australia in a test series in Australia, happens every other week.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:52 pm

McLaren wrote:So super

You know nothing about cycling or F1 but feel happy to make that comment?

Mad for chelsea

There are also 18 races to win and ten points positions every race.

Mac, I didn't say I didn't know anything about them, I said I wasn't a fan.
F1 is by and large an engineering competition, I don't doubt the fitness of the driver, but ultimately it comes down more to which team you drive for whether you will win the championship or not.
It isn't a level playing field and so loses the sporting element for me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:53 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:to be quite frank though McLaren, in F1 the drivers title is pretty much all there is to win. Sure there's the constructor's championship but that's even more down to the car, and Button didn't win that either. Then there's individual races, which are great, but not enough for me to displace any of those on the list.

The cricketers are worthy nominations though, reaching n°1 in the world is a hell of an achievement. However, it was such a team effort I don't think giving it to one of the individuals would be quite right.
If Button won the most races but didn't win the title, he wouldn't get much credit would he? There's no green jersey in F1.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:53 pm

super_realist wrote:I wouldn't have Golfers, F1 or Cricket anywhere near such a list. They don't fit my definition of sport I'm afraid.

That is why you would be regarded as a philistine Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

super_realist wrote:Mac, I didn't say I didn't know anything about them, I said I wasn't a fan.
F1 is by and large an engineering competition, I don't doubt the fitness of the driver, but ultimately it comes down more to which team you drive for whether you will win the championship or not.
It isn't a level playing field and so loses the sporting element for me.
And cycling doesn't come down to your team?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

rowley wrote:
super_realist wrote:Cricket, are you serious? The Ashes is a 50/50 coin toss.

Absolutely, you only have to look over the last fifty years how many countries have absolutely dominated Australia in a test series in Australia, happens every other week.

Australia are probably at their lowest ebb in all sports for decades. If england hadn't won the ashes convincingly there would have been an inquest. All they've achieved is exactly what was expected of them, namely beat a poor quality team.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next