The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tucker ko 10 Douglas 30/5/87 - How important was this result??

+4
paperbag_puncher
Atila
AlexHuckerby
TRUSSMAN66
8 posters

Go down

Tucker ko 10 Douglas 30/5/87 - How important was this result?? Empty Tucker ko 10 Douglas 30/5/87 - How important was this result??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 1 Dec - 18:34

Kind of a meaningless IBF Heavy fight where the Winner fights Tyson to win the HBO tournament......on 1/8/1987..

A fight Douglas was dominating when he basically quit!! (As he was prone to do back then)

Does Douglas take Rooney/Tyson in 87.....??

If he has Tyson's number... with Holy and Spinks in the wings waiting for a chance..does Tyson get to have the title back or a legacy???

Would Douglas take an inexperienced smaller heavy in Holy (87/88) or dominate Spinks with the jab??.....Setting up a legacy for himself!!

If Tyson takes Douglas......Does he add big George and Holy to the list...in 90/91....

Does he become a top 5 heavy???

Desiree Washington ever exist in his life???

Funny how such a meaningless fight and date had such big implications in Heavy history.......

TUCKER ko 10 Douglas..looks routine on paper.....evidently not in the shape of things to come!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Tucker ko 10 Douglas 30/5/87 - How important was this result?? Empty Re: Tucker ko 10 Douglas 30/5/87 - How important was this result??

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 1 Dec - 18:40

i guess it was yeah

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Tucker ko 10 Douglas 30/5/87 - How important was this result?? Empty Re: Tucker ko 10 Douglas 30/5/87 - How important was this result??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 1 Dec - 18:43

Thanks for your insightful response....Anyway how come you are on here 24/7 everyday Alex....

No offence but don't you go out?? 606 isn't better than sex believe me..

Get a chick..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 1 Dec - 18:44

You've asked a few questions there Truss so I don't know exactly the response you're looking for. I'll just say that before Douglas fighting Tyson was even on the horizon, there was a boxing writer I saw on TV saying that he wanted to see them fight as he thought that Douglas could Tyson some problems.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 1 Dec - 18:48

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Thanks for your insightful response....Anyway how come you are on here 24/7 everyday Alex....

No offence but don't you go out?? 606 isn't better than sex believe me..

Get a chick..

im on it at work then i just flick it on my phone every now and then so it gives that impression. im on the bus home right now honey.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 1 Dec - 18:59

Fair enough.....Alex

Really wouldn't mind knowing who the writer was...he didn't predict 9/11 as well did he?

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 2 Dec - 0:23

Interesting concept but think a lot of variables came together and fell into place the night Douglas beat Tyson. Not sure if he ever had the dedication or competitiveness to ever make a real dent in the division whether he beats Tucker or not.

I'd take Tyson to beat him in 87, avoid Foreman and I'd fancy Holy to beat Tyson at any time.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 2 Dec - 2:26

I'm don't think it's that important to be honest Truss, say Douglas had won, he would have gone in a against a focused tyson near the peak of his game, and perhaps more importantly, the circumstances that were to inspire Douglas to the performance of a life time in toyoko would not have arisen yet. So a less inspired Douglas would have fought a better Tyson, and probably loses by stoppage, and Tyson's career would have carried on the same regardless- maybe he doesn't lose his tile as early as he did, and maybe it's Holyfield that relieves him of the title. But whoever it was I think his life would have still played out along the same path.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 2 Dec - 10:33

A lot of ifs, buts and maybe's there, T-bone.

You have to fancy an 87 version of Tyson to get past Douglas. Douglas may have presented Tyson with some problems regardless of when they fought but a properly focussed Tyson in the form he was in throughout 87, I feel, would have been too much for Douglas. Let's not forget that a special set of circumstances put Douglas in a once in a lifetime frame of mind and he put in an incredible performance to stop Tyson. Would he have been similarly inspired had they meant in different circumstances? I don't see anything in his history to suggest that he would?

I don't see Holyfield moving up against Tyson at that stage. It's likely that he would have waited things out for a year or so and had history panned out differently, he might have been the one to take the title away from a somewhat distracted Tyson.

Tyson was on a downward spiral professionallly and personally before the Douglas fight and probably would have ended up with the same problems and with a roughly similar career.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 2 Dec - 13:06

Interesting point you make Truss.

The way I see it: Douglas 87 loses to Tyson as lacks the motivation provided by his mother.

Tyson continues his downward and off-the-rails spiral regardless. Meets up with Holyfield - who I also believe had his number and who I also see beating him - closer to prime.

My outcome, ergo - is Holyfield doing a bit better out of it all in the all-time-rankings stakes; but I don't see it affecting the Tyson-Washington affair.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 2 Dec - 13:18

Tyson would have beaten Douglas 87, 88, 89 or any other time that wasn't that specific date in 1990. Always said that despite Douglas putting in the fight of his life there was just something not quite right about Tyson that night.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 2 Dec - 14:10

Its a good point about Holyfield, Oxy. A win over a pre-prison Tyson would just about make him a nailed on top 10 heavyweight.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down