The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who wins this fight Benn or Froch??

+21
azania
WelshDevilRob
Super D Boon
Rowley
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
J.Benson II
JDandfries
Fists of Fury
superflyweight
manos de piedra
mckay1402
huw
cave_man_KO
paperbag_puncher
ShahenshahG
88Chris05
AlexHuckerby
Imperial Ghosty
captain carrantuohil
spencerclarke
Waingro
25 posters

Go down

Who wins Benn or Froch

Who wins this fight Benn or Froch?? Vote_lcap47%Who wins this fight Benn or Froch?? Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 15 ]
Who wins this fight Benn or Froch?? Vote_lcap53%Who wins this fight Benn or Froch?? Vote_rcap 53% 
[ 17 ]

Total Votes : 32

Who wins this fight Benn or Froch?? Empty Who wins this fight Benn or Froch??

Post by Waingro Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:58 pm

Simple question to you lot - who wins Benn or Froch?

Who do I think wins? Benn imo. Far too much power for Froch who does not have the skill to beat him.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Who wins this fight Benn or Froch?? Empty Re: Who wins this fight Benn or Froch??

Post by spencerclarke Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:02 pm

awww that would be a fight i would love to have been possible!! Benn was always my fav as a kid. Loved how dangerous he was when hurt. At the same time Froch is a warrior with a chin of steel and is looking more skillful as his career continues. Wanted a choice of draw really!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Who wins this fight Benn or Froch?? Empty Re: Who wins this fight Benn or Froch??

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:17 pm

Froch - chin's good enough to beat Benn at super-middle. Benn the middleweight was a much more damaging puncher, and I can see him running out of ideas and steam against Froch. Great fight while it lasts, but Froch in about ten would be my pick. Think a switched on Eubank beats Froch, mind.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:34 pm

I like Froch but I do not think he has the skill to beat Benn. Eubank Benn and Collins would all beat Froch. Froch is good dont get me wrong but Kessler beat him and he only barely beat Direll those guys would get destroyed by Benn.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:39 pm

Not sure Kessler gets destroyed by Benn, anyone who can be competitive with Calzaghe at super middleweight has something about them, in fact I might be inclined to pick the Dane to beat Benn.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:45 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Froch - chin's good enough to beat Benn at super-middle. Benn the middleweight was a much more damaging puncher, and I can see him running out of ideas and steam against Froch. Great fight while it lasts, but Froch in about ten would be my pick. Think a switched on Eubank beats Froch, mind.

Word for word agree completely.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 01 Dec 2011, 11:33 pm

Froch for me. Think he's a bit too big and physically imposing for Benn at 168 lb. Moreover, the things which Froch has had his struggles with - namely top level speed and constant movement - Benn simply didn't have.

I see Froch taking Benn's best punches in a real tear up before taking control in the mid rounds. I reckon Benn's nasty habit of running out of steam down the home straight comes back to haunt him, more so if Froch gets on his bike behind his superior jab to make him chase, effectively taking the legs from underneath him. Froch by late stoppage would be my call.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 01 Dec 2011, 11:58 pm

I have never rated collins. Lucky twit wth a solid chin.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:08 am

I think Benns pretty much made for Froch. He's not as well rounded as the likes of Kessler or as quick as Taylor or Dirrell. Froch's chin would stand up to Benn's greatest asset.

Froch by UD if he decides to box behind the jab or a mid to late stoppage if it becomes a tear up.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Fri 02 Dec 2011, 9:20 am

Think this would be similar to the Froch Pascal fight, in that it would be a real tear up, in truth could go either way.

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 02 Dec 2011, 9:47 am

Would hate this fight as a Benn fan.

Just feel Froch would probably be too big.

Could have a bit of 'Rocky' about this fight though and I could see a double knock down in the 10th with both fighters trying to get up in slow motion for what seems like a 25 count, Froch who was almost up on the count of 23 slumps back down only for Benn to be almost standing and given the win.

Benn then, rather than doing an interview, stands in the middle of the ring and starts shouting for Adrian. At this stage I'm not sure what Adrian he is asking for as I'm not sure he knew any, I however went to school with someone called Adrian so he could borrow the one I know if he doesn't know any.

All then is good until he realises Frank Warren has been giving him easy fights and when he actually goes against someone from the A-Team who runs him over in a tank that was made from a shopping trolly and some random objects found in the changing room.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:01 am

Benn every day for me.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:03 am

Froch for me for the same reasons as already pointed out. Think Froch struggles with technicians and slicksters which Benn certainly isnt.

Fight pans out similar to Eubank v Benn I for me.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:20 am

Important to note though that Richie Woodhall knocks both of them out inside 2 rounds.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:44 am

Laugh

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:45 am

Always thought Benn was overrated, Froch wins inside 8, by KO - Eubank however is a different kettle of fish and would take a UD against Froch.

Who mentioned Collins? Total dross, Froch By EKO!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:58 am

JDandfries wrote:
Who mentioned Collins? Total dross, Froch By EKO!

I'd probably pick Froch over Collins but by EKO??! No, not in million years.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:02 pm

I think Benn is a good match up for Froch at 168lbs. Great speed and movement are Froch's Achilles heel which Benn never possessed. I think Froch would box behind his jab on the back foot and make Benn chase him Benn would tire out like he did at times leaving him ripe for Froch to KO late on in the fight.

If it did turn into a tear up I could see Froch being able to take Benns best shots but like I said Benn would tire out and Froch would dominate the later rounds and probably force a stoppage then as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:03 pm

superflyweight wrote:Important to note though that Richie Woodhall knocks both of them out inside 2 rounds.

Wise words, good to see Ralphy's work was not wasted. Have voted for Froch, think Benn's power whilst obviously not anything to be taken lightly did not really carry up to super middle and if Froch handles this and you have to think he does I see Benn's questionable stamina becoming an issue because Froch has proven he has a decent engine and carries his power late. Think it is a tear up early but as it goes later if Benn starts to slow or gas Froch probably gets the stoppage late in the day.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:10 pm

Froch would win handily. Have said it before that the "legendary" Benn, Eubank, Watson triumvirate were somewhat overrated, partly because of terrestrial TV and that they had mainstream attention, partly also because of the disdain they had for each other making for great hype.

Benn was more devastating as a middleweight and can't see him shifting Froch. Froch the better boxer. Both Calzaghe and Froch are a level above the supper middleweights of yesteryear.

Froch wide UD or late stoppage.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 02 Dec 2011, 1:06 pm

Nigel Benn wins for me. More skills and speed. Froch just too static a target and his defence is woeful.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 02 Dec 2011, 1:20 pm

Depends actually - A fired up Benn could possibly cause Froch a headache - especially if he leads with his head - but I think Froch would take it and get a late KO. Eubank gives him a good go and finishes a round or two ahead. Collins swarms Froch but gets handled by Froch for a round 8-10 KO

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri 02 Dec 2011, 1:35 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Collins swarms Froch but gets handled by Froch for a round 8-10 KO

I honestly couldnt see how Froch KO's Collins.
Froch's power at world level is nothing above decent and Collins was known for his toughness and durability. I'd lean towards Froch winning but think it would be a close fight, possibly ending with a MD.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 02 Dec 2011, 2:09 pm

Sorry mate that should read TKO. He could be hurt and I think Froch hits hard enough to wear him down to a late tko

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri 02 Dec 2011, 2:21 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Sorry mate that should read TKO. He could be hurt and I think Froch hits hard enough to wear him down to a late tko

I'm not even sure about that mate. Taylor was the only world class opponent that Froch stopped (or dropped) and he is known for his stamina problems.
I certainly think the Collins that fought so valiantly against McCallum would be a step up from the likes of Arthur Abraham and a +40 year old Glen Johnson.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Dec 2011, 2:25 pm

Benn would win. I see this similar to the Benn/that sky tv welsh mensa member boxer.

Carl likes to hang his chin out to be hit and Benn will accomodate his often until he goes.

Benn can also box on the back foot as demonstrated against Wharton and can bang a little also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 02 Dec 2011, 2:45 pm

Although I agree with the arguments for a Froch victory I think Benn wins but am not confident in that result. I back 6 out of 10 times.

I think Froch is too open early on would go out for a tear up as always. He got caught early afew times by Johnson and Benn's far more explosive. Froch isn't that big for super middle and usually hits 168 pounds a while before fight night. If Benn doesn't shake him up early then Froch wins by KO late on. It would be good scrap either way.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 02 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

I would say its marginal if Benn has more power than Johnson at SMW?

Ive always had the feeling that Benn is a little overrated and that he is overly reliant on power, which is not really enough all the time at the top level.

I think Froch in his current form woud be able to box Benn but have to say if it came to an all out brawl then I think Froch prevails aswell with better chin and stamina and slightly better skills.

I can see Benn taking the eraly rounds through sheer agression but a bit like in the Eubank/Benn first fight I think Froch can weather the storm, give some back and ultimately outlast Benn down the stretch.

"The Dark Destroyer" was a formidble MW but less so at SMW. I think you might be surprised how much bigger Froch is who is a big SMW, while Benn is actually a quite small one.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 02 Dec 2011, 3:00 pm

You've echoed many of the points I made in my original post, Manos. People seem to be forgetting that Benn was actually a fairly different animal at Super-Middleweight than he had been at 160 lb. At the higher weight, he was actually involved in a few dour fights that he won with merely workmanlike performances, rather than the spectacular, bulldozing ones he gave at Middleweight.

Regardless of weight, he still had a tendancy to fall away late, and it would cost him against Froch, whose chin is easily comparable to the likes of Eubank, who was able to survive the onslaught of Benn, even the Middleweight version. I maintain that it's even early on, but the naturally bigger Froch tires Benn out by making him chase thanks to his better boxing skills, and takes him out late.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 02 Dec 2011, 3:01 pm

He's a tall and rangy super middleweight but he looked smaller than Kessler (although most do) and no bigger than Dirrel, he got backed up by Johnson.

I think Johnson's one punch power is decent at this stage, but he relies more on relentless pressure.

As I said before, all the arguments in favour of Froch make perfect sense, but Benn was a heck of a puncher in my estimation and Froch's reflexes and defense are less than great. His chances go up alot if he boxes the way he did against Abraham although I'd still pick Benn to win the early rounds.

I feel I should point out I prefer Froch so there's no 90's nostalgia clouding my vision.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 02 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

The thing is though that Kessler and Dirrell are actually big guys. Proper Super Middleweights who could easily compete at light heavyweight. They are 6'1/6'2 guys with decent frames. I think those guys are closer to LH than MW, while Benn is closer to MW than LH. We saw with another somewhat limited big hitter like Abraham who himself is basically the same size as Benn - he looked tiny and inneffective against Froch.

Benn was much smaller physically even though he possessed power. I think hes only 5'9/5'10 with a smaller frame. I would question how his power translates against those physically bigger guys like Kessler and Froch who have great chins themselves. And even if his power carries, would it be enough?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 02 Dec 2011, 3:21 pm

He would be smaller than Froch, I agree with that but his speed and bobbing movement make him a very different prospect to the upright high guard of Abraham. I'd also wager Froch himself could sooner be comfortable at 160 than at 175.

It's very plausible that Nigel detonates afew big ones on Carl and he sruvives them with someting to spare, but I find it unlikely given how hurtful and heavy handed he was naturally.

We assume Carl can outlast him, but Benn beat G-Man at 168 based on outlasting him in what was arguably Benn's peak performence. Nothin can be presumed with this one, but I'd put money on it not going the distance.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 02 Dec 2011, 3:22 pm

Froch has that great chin I see Benn coming out for a tear up and I personally think Froch takes over the fight from round 6 stopping a tiring Benn.
Benn could also be caught early on though, was all over the place against Anthony Logan and dropped by McClellan early on.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 02 Dec 2011, 3:27 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:He would be smaller than Froch, I agree with that but his speed and bobbing movement make him a very different prospect to the upright high guard of Abraham. I'd also wager Froch himself could sooner be comfortable at 160 than at 175.

It's very plausible that Nigel detonates afew big ones on Carl and he sruvives them with someting to spare, but I find it unlikely given how hurtful and heavy handed he was naturally.

We assume Carl can outlast him, but Benn beat G-Man at 168 based on outlasting him in what was arguably Benn's peak performence. Nothin can be presumed with this one, but I'd put money on it not going the distance.

Fair enough, Id probably have to disagree with you overall though. I just think Benns power was diluted at SMW partly because he himself wasnt a big SMW and partly because the guys he would be facing would be bigger and more durable guys.

I would expect Carl to end up at LH personally and have always considered him a big SMW. I think hed have to drain to hit MW wheras he could more comforatably grow into LH. Sizewise I do think he holds a big advantage.

Would certainly be a fight Id pay to see either way though!

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Dec 2011, 7:29 pm

Don't quote me on this and my mind may be slightly hazy but before the Johnson fight Froch admitted he likes to get to his fighting weight of 167/168lbs one week before the fight so he doesn't need to rehydrate. This if true is fairly unique and would make Froch a very small super middleweight which makes sense when compared to most of his opposition.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 02 Dec 2011, 7:34 pm

Froch has been at the weight for a few weeks already.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Dec 2011, 7:38 pm

So can't imagine he would have much problem getting down to middleweight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 02 Dec 2011, 7:40 pm

I'm not always sure what they mean by 'on the weight'. I doubt he's actually walking around at 168, I think he means that if the weigh in was tomorrow he could make it.

He's quite tall and fairly built so not sure about middle but he doesn't struggle to make SMW.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Dec 2011, 7:44 pm

This is what confuses me because before the Johnson fight he gave an interview and stated he was down to his fighting weight of 168lbs already which seems absurd looking at him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Dec 2011, 9:05 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Don't quote me on this and my mind may be slightly hazy but before the Johnson fight Froch admitted he likes to get to his fighting weight of 167/168lbs one week before the fight so he doesn't need to rehydrate. This if true is fairly unique and would make Froch a very small super middleweight which makes sense when compared to most of his opposition.

I remember that interview also and was surprised by what he said. In my opinion, its either he was lying or by fight weight he keant what he would weigh come fight night (after rehydrating) as opposed to the weigh in itself.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:11 pm

Really tough one to call this one as both love a war and can be tagged. I think Carl could outbox Benn if he stuck to a game plan but i dont think Carl would be able to resist a tear-up which plays into Nigel's hands. Benn especially in his later days was more difficult to tag cleanly than Froch is. Nigel's defence,weaving and bobbing were much improved later in his career. He was never Sweatpea granted but his defence did improve and i think that could be the difference. Froch is always good to be caught flush a few times during a fight and although he has a great chin and Benn wasnt as concussive at SMW as he was at MW. Lets make no mistake he could still punish you if you showed him your chin too many times which i think Froch would end up doing.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down