The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maldonado confirmed at Williams for 2012 , bottas as reserve

4 posters

Go down

Maldonado confirmed at Williams for 2012 , bottas as reserve  Empty Maldonado confirmed at Williams for 2012 , bottas as reserve

Post by Fernando Thu 01 Dec 2011, 11:13 pm

Williams confirmed on Thursday that Pastor Maldonado will race for them again next season, with Valtteri Bottas named as reserve driver.

The decision to retain Maldonado comes at the end of what has been the most disappointing season in the team's history. Williams finished ninth in the constructors' championship after picking up just five points, with the Venezuelan rookie's contribution coming at the Belgian Grand Prix where he finished 10th.

"I am delighted to be able to continue with Williams into my second season and I will give my very best to help the team as we push to return to the front of the grid," said Maldonado, who brings substantial sponsorship from Venezuelan state oil company PSVSA.

"This has been a tough season for the whole team but it has given me personally the opportunity to learn and develop. I am convinced that the steps we have taken to improve our competitiveness will bear fruit in 2012 and beyond."

Bottas, meanwhile, gains promotion having tested for the team during the past two years, including at Formula One's recent young driver test. The 22-year-old Finn also won the 2011 GP3 championship.

"I would like to thank Frank Williams and the whole team for the investment that everyone at Williams has made to help me over the past two years," Bottas said. "The opportunity now to continue this unique development with the position of Reserve Driver will enable me to gain essential experience as part of the race team in 2012."

In a statement released on Thursday, team principal Sir Frank Williams confirmed that Bottas will take part in a Friday practice session at 15 races next season, adding that he "has proved a very capable and rounded young man of fierce determination".

Williams also said the team's second race driver will be announced "in due course". Rubens Barrichello's hopes of taking his F1 career into a 20th season appear to hinge on that decision, although Force India's Adrian Sutil is favourite to take the seat.

Source: sky sports

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Maldonado confirmed at Williams for 2012 , bottas as reserve  Empty Re: Maldonado confirmed at Williams for 2012 , bottas as reserve

Post by Critical_mass Fri 02 Dec 2011, 2:04 pm

hmmm Maldonado promised so much and just tailed off towards the end of the season. Plus the swipe at hamitlon at spa made him go down on my estimations.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Maldonado confirmed at Williams for 2012 , bottas as reserve  Empty Re: Maldonado confirmed at Williams for 2012 , bottas as reserve

Post by Guest Fri 02 Dec 2011, 2:28 pm

Basically the Venezuelan money was too good to refuse. Maldonando is truly a shocker. Yes his swipe at Hamilton and his absolutely appaling driving in Abu Dhabi failing to get out of the way not once but twice and then tried to race button i think it was into the next corner just sums him up. I expect Sutil to join him and show him up all ends.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 02 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

Hmm.

Going to Williams could prove to be a backward step for Sutil, going on current form...but I suppose its better than no race seat at all.

Maldonado certainly hasn't pulled up any trees in his rookie season, but we must remember the Williams car was poor this year...even Barrichello struggled badly. Who knows, Pastor may surprise us next season. Sutil would be a safe bet as lead driver, but where they really need to raise their game is in the car development stakes.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:29 pm

Bruno Senna has signed for Williams for 2012. Amazing news

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:39 pm

Delighted that Bruno as agreed to drive for Williams!

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 17 Jan 2012, 3:32 pm

He had to it was Williams or back to Hispania and no one deserves that Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:26 pm

Here's hoping he can help Williams reach something approaching their fomer glories. Its been painful watching them struggle just ahead of the new teams.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down