The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple of questions for ya....

+12
eddyfightfan
ArchBritishchris
kevchadders
BALTIMORA
ADMIN
Zeb the owl
Daz
bellchees
Scottrf
coxy0001
Imperial Ghosty
Adam D
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A couple of questions for ya.... - Page 2 Empty A couple of questions for ya....

Post by Adam D Fri 11 Mar 2011, 10:23 am

First topic message reminder :

Got a few questions for you:

1. Boxing gloves.

I once read about the difference in effect that boxing gloves and MMA gloves have on opponents. From memory, the article I read is that due to the bigger surface area of boxing gloves, they distribute the damage over a larger area. This has the effect that boxers take more damage than an equivalent punch from a MMA style glove (as the boxer is more likely to take more punches before going down and cause more lasting damage).

Conversely, MMA gloves offer more of a one punch knock out which is better for the fighter long term.

Does anyone know any more on this subject?

2. Punching power

I read on here (I think) that when a fighter moves up in weight, they get stronger neck muscles and therefore can take a punch better (I think it was with regards to Khan moving up). Also, punching power would obviously increase at the same time as well but speed would potentially diminish (both hand speed and movement generally).

So my question is, what do you think is the optimum weight class for the most effective fighter.

3. Who would you not like to face?

Following on from the previous question, who would you least like to face in a fight (and for the purpose of this, lets make it a street fight). Would you fancy your chances against a heavyweight more due to a lack of speed or would you prefer to fight a smaller fighter due to size advantage.

Cheers guys

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

A couple of questions for ya.... - Page 2 Empty Re: A couple of questions for ya....

Post by HumanWindmill Sat 12 Mar 2011, 2:37 pm

You're welcome, BALTIMORA.

With that, I'll leave it to you to to slug it out.

Enjoy !

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

A couple of questions for ya.... - Page 2 Empty Re: A couple of questions for ya....

Post by D4thincarnation Sat 12 Mar 2011, 2:40 pm

I never discounted that, but far more deaths occurred after the introduction of gloves.

And my statement stands true that big gloves do not prevent brain injuries.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 12 Mar 2011, 2:45 pm

Cheers, but there'll be no slugging here, I don't have the patience. Enjoy your Saturday.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 12 Mar 2011, 2:53 pm

And airbags don't prevent automobile deaths, parachutes don't prevent flying-related deaths, smoke detectors don't prevent death by fire, and careful breeding can't prevent idiots. Good day.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Mar 2011, 7:29 pm

Thats a different argument all together.

BJ Penn in his day
Anderson Silva
Rampage Jackson
Rashad Evans
Junior Dos Santos
Matt Serra
Alessio Sakara
Marcus Davis
Vitor Belfort

These are all good boxers who ply their trade in the UFC.

I'd disagree with this to be honest. I'd say these are MMA fighters that have reasonable boxing skills. Vitor Belfort as far as I know has had one pro boxing fight which he won & Silva has 1 win & 2 losses. Silva holds black belts in tae kwon do, BJJ & has trained in muay thai & capoiera. In general pro boxing isn't that big in Brazil, BJJ & martial arts seem to be more popular. Its been said before that if these guys were decent boxers they'd probably ply thier trade there due to the money involved, but then they would have to train full time as boxers which is probably not thier passion.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 12 Mar 2011, 7:50 pm

sohotnot wrote:Thats a different argument all together.

BJ Penn in his day
Anderson Silva
Rampage Jackson
Rashad Evans
Junior Dos Santos
Matt Serra
Alessio Sakara
Marcus Davis
Vitor Belfort

These are all good boxers who ply their trade in the UFC.

I'd disagree with this to be honest. I'd say these are MMA fighters that have reasonable boxing skills. Vitor Belfort as far as I know has had one pro boxing fight which he won & Silva has 1 win & 2 losses. Silva holds black belts in tae kwon do, BJJ & has trained in muay thai & capoiera. In general pro boxing isn't that big in Brazil, BJJ & martial arts seem to be more popular. Its been said before that if these guys were decent boxers they'd probably ply thier trade there due to the money involved, but then they would have to train full time as boxers which is probably not thier passion.

Rashad Evans and Rampage were college wrestlers who were taught how to box when they went into MMA. Ditto BJ Penn. Belfort and Silva have had pro fights. Davis was a pro boxer and so was Sakara. Dos Santos also learnt boxing on the back of MMA. Silva is considered to have the best boxing in MMA (UFC) yet has lost one or two as a pro. None of them would hold a candle to any pro boxer who is in the top 50 ranked fighter in their weight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Mar 2011, 8:11 pm

Rashad Evans and Rampage were college wrestlers who were taught how to box when they went into MMA. Ditto BJ Penn. Belfort and Silva have had pro fights. Davis was a pro boxer and so was Sakara. Dos Santos also learnt boxing on the back of MMA. Silva is considered to have the best boxing in MMA (UFC) yet has lost one or two as a pro. None of them would hold a candle to any pro boxer who is in the top 50 ranked fighter in their weight..
azania
.........................................................................................................

Exactly. These guys have found their way into MMA through wrestling & martial arts where they are decent fighters & as you have mentioned have mostly learnt thier boxing to make them more rounded fighters. I dont think any top level boxers in their prime have made the switch to MMA. Theres nothing to say some of these guys wouldn't have been contenders had they started out in boxing in the first place but they didn't. Some as I mentioned are from countries where boxing isn't big. In The Netherlands there are very few decent boxers as its not that big here, but Muay Thai/Kickboxing thats another story. Doesn't mean the dutch couldn't box. Most of this talk with regards to MMA fighters in boxing & vice versa is from Toney vs Couture fight & some of the tacky comments we've had from Joe Rogan amongst others. Most Dutch kickboxers are big boxing fans.

Back to top Go down

Post by expertBoxingMaster Sun 13 Mar 2011, 1:09 pm

Street fighting...

My specialty!

In all seriousness though, when you think of the power behind a punch thrown from any professional Boxer in comparison to the average joe on the street I'm not sure I'd like to face any of them.

However, Tyson will always be a scary dude to face regardless.

expertBoxingMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2