The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath v Leinster Discussion thread

+7
Feckless Rogue
HERSH
asoreleftshoulder
Golden
Bathite
caoimhincentre
Mickado
11 posters

Go down

Bath v Leinster Discussion thread Empty Bath v Leinster Discussion thread

Post by Mickado Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:33 pm

Leinster are reporting no fresh injury concerns after last week’s drubbing of Cardiff so JS has pretty much a full deck to pick from.

What side do you expect to see put out and how are we going to try to win this one? We’ve tended to pick a big pack when away from home to try to contain the opposing forwards but with Bath’s problems in the front row lately could we see a smaller, more mobile pack trying to stretch them?

This is the team I’d love to see start on Sunday:

Healy – Cronin – Ross
Toner – Cullen
O’Brien – Heaslip – Jennings
Reddan – Sexton
Fitzgerald – McFadden – O’Malley – R.Kearney
Nacewa

Strauss – VDM – White – Sykes – Ruddock – Boss – Madigan – Carr

Bath fans – is Donald expected to be fit this week? What (in your opinion) are you going to target?

Will post both teams when announced this week.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Bath v Leinster Discussion thread Empty Re: Bath v Leinster Discussion thread

Post by caoimhincentre Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:40 pm

Looks good.

Kearney will start at 15 though.
is D'arcy injuried.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

Kearney probably will start at 15 alright. I can see why, I just love watching Isa at fullback.

Darcy isn’t injured and will almost definitely be starting at McFadden’s expense, but I think McFadden has made himself undroppable over the last couple of weeks.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:49 pm

Donald should start I would imagine, but we are desperately short on personnel due to injuries. Going to get another pumping in the front 5, Healy and Ross to have a field day!

I think a midfield of Barkley and Banahan is one (maybe only) potential area of advantage

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:52 pm

Mickado wrote:Kearney probably will start at 15 alright. I can see why, I just love watching Isa at fullback.

Darcy isn’t injured and will almost definitely be starting at McFadden’s expense, but I think McFadden has made himself undroppable over the last couple of weeks.

Agree totally in relation to Isa, if only he was born in Wexford.

Not so sure in McFadden though. he is playing well but so is D'Arcy and given the choice i would go for D'Arcy every time.

But hey isnt it a great situation to be in when we can fight over which one starts

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

Will be good to see O' Malley up against Banahan. Will quash all these concerns over him been too small once and for all.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:56 pm

Golden wrote:Will be good to see O' Malley up against Banahan. Will quash all these concerns over him been too small once and for all.

Good point. They won’t come bigger than Banahan, so if size is what is concerning people it should answer some questions.

O’Malley isn’t THAT small though, sure his legs are too skinny to keep his socks up but he’s not exactly short (5”11’ ish) and he’s certainly no whippet.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:02 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Nacewa at 15 but if that happens then drop Kearney,he's no winger I'd prefer Kearney jr. if it came to that.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:03 pm

Mickado wrote:
Golden wrote:Will be good to see O' Malley up against Banahan. Will quash all these concerns over him been too small once and for all.

Good point. They won’t come bigger than Banahan, so if size is what is concerning people it should answer some questions.

O’Malley isn’t THAT small though, sure his legs are too skinny to keep his socks up but he’s not exactly short (5”11’ ish) and he’s certainly no whippet.

his legs arent skinny!!!

Its a choice Wink

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:12 pm

When it comes down to it I’d be inclined to say 15 R.Kearney 14 Nacewa is a very slightly better combo than 15 Nacewa 14 D.Kearney

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:00 pm

With all the doom and gloom around the Rec at the moment I can't see any other result but a Bath Win.

Yes that’s right a Bath win.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:09 pm

R Kearney is actually playing really well. I like watching Iosa as well, but Kearneys attacking game is much better this season. He has it in him to be a world class fullback for Ireland so I want him starting for Leinster.

I think Strauss will start but Cronin will come on and hopefully have an impact. I like Schmidt's bold use of the bench. I'm scratching my head sometimes with his substitutions but in the big games it always seems to come off.

I also think Boss deserved to start. He's in very good form. And Schmidt favoured him in away games last year.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 06 Dec 2011, 5:42 pm

I'd like to see:

15 Abendanon
14 Banahan
13 Hipkiss
12 Barkley
11 Biggs
10 Donald
9 Claasens
1 Beech
2 Biller
3 Wilson
4 Attwood
5 Caldwell
6 Louw
7 Mercer
8 Taylor

Replacements

Perenise
Batty
Flatman
Hooper
Ovens
Cuthbert
Heathcote
McMillan

There are a few key players out with injuries, but I still think Bath can make a game of it. The reality is that it's hard to see anything other than a Leinster win, Bath are short on first choice players, have a number of new players still finding their feet, but most importantly have a lack of leadership on the pitch which has lead to some stupid decisions being made at crucial times in the game.

If anyone is in Bath on Saturday night and fancies pre-game sherberts PM me. guinness
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Dec 2011, 5:55 pm

PJ, a bunch us (gibson, PenfroPete, hughie, red_stag, Kai, Puma, prop_lyd, lucky, dreamer, KiwiRedDevil, Mick Chef, Glas, etc.) will be there before and after the game on Sunday - thinking of setting up base camp in the Pulteney Arms - would be grand to catch up? Ale

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 06 Dec 2011, 6:11 pm

I'd like to see that Leinster side as well but I reckon it could be;

Healy – Strauss – Ross
Toner – Cullen
O’Brien – Heaslip – Jennings
Boss– Sexton
Fitzgerald – DarcyMcFadden Nacewa
Kearney

Cronin – VDM – White – BrowneMcLReddan – Madigan – O'Malley

Starting from the front back,

- Strauss is a close call with Cronin and Joe might go with the experienced front row. Cronin might start at home in the return fixture.

- Boss is usually the preferred away fixture scrumhalf from what I have seen and his physicality in the first half when Bath are looking to blow Leinster away might be preferred. Also then Reddan coming the bench really injects pace onto the game. SOB usually plays a bit better with Boss in that position as Boss uses his pack much better than Reddan while Reddan gets the most out of Sexton and the backs.

- Darcy won't be dropped because his experience in this away fixture and running the defensive line is invaluable. McF might drift out one position to OC putting EOM on the bench as EOM can cover centres and McF can go to wing if needed. I would prefer EOM to start and hope he does but won't be surprised if for the away leg its Darcy and McF and for the home leg Darcy and EOM.

- Kearney is our 15 when fit so Nacewa goes to the wing at 14.

- Fitz just edges Carr for the 11 jersey. If Carr gets that wing jersey then you could see Fitz get the bench in front of EOM.

- I think Browne gets into the squad for the second row but that he ends up on the bench to come on instead of Toner for the final 20 minutes. Sykes not to be in the squad as he is looking the weakest of the 4 from recent games.

- McL to edge Ruddock for the bench spot as he is still ahead of him on the depth chart.

Considering so many different combinations, I still look at each potential XV and have confidence that they can do a job if called upon.

This won't be an easy game though and right now I'd be content with a LBP (always get something in the away legs) and then go for the juggler in NLR the week after.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 06 Dec 2011, 6:35 pm

I would like to see the combination of Ruddock, Jennings and SOB again. Thought they played very well together. Ruddock isn't the force he once was though, he will need to pull his socks up.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:10 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:PJ, a bunch us (gibson, PenfroPete, hughie, red_stag, Kai, Puma, prop_lyd, lucky, dreamer, KiwiRedDevil, Mick Chef, Glas, etc.) will be there before and after the game on Sunday - thinking of setting up base camp in the Pulteney Arms - would be grand to catch up? Ale

Sounds like a takeover Asbo, I've got gibson's number so me and Mrs Holybloke will see you there guinness Ale mug Bubbly .
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:11 pm

Grand, train arrives just before half 11 Alecider

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:23 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Grand, train arrives just before half 11 Alecider

I've treated the wife to hospitality for her birthday so we're having breakfast and a player Q&A at the River Canteen by Pulteney Weir, we'll be in there from 10.45 but after the game is a date - I reckon I'll have some sorrows to drown. Crying or Very sad
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:35 pm

You'll recognise Gib easily enough - my eldest swears that he is a doppelgänger for a cross between Theoden from Lord of the Rings and Jerry Springer!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:49 pm

laughing Sounds difficult to miss. You'll recognise me because I look like this:

Spoiler:

But without the Mo now. mo2

PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down