The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Birmingham Bulls: A brief overview

+3
BamBam
The Mangler US_UK
Birmingham Bulls
7 posters

Go down

Birmingham Bulls: A brief overview Empty Birmingham Bulls: A brief overview

Post by Birmingham Bulls Thu 08 Dec 2011, 4:37 pm

Good evening all!

The Birmingham Bulls are one of the longest established American Football teams playing in the United Kingdom, having been founded in 1983. After competing in the BAFANL Division One Central Conference last season (eventually losing to East Kilbride Pirates in the semis) we can now confirm that following the end of season league meeting held at Leicester, the Birmingham Bulls will be competing in the BAFANL Premier Division for 2012.

The Bulls will be scheduled to play a 10 game season in the Northern Conference - which also includes Doncaster Mustangs, Yorkshire Rams, East Kilbride Pirates, Tamworth Phoenix and Leicester Falcons.

The exact schedule will be revealed at the pre season schedule meeting in early February 2012, and of course, we will let the fine folk of 606v2 know as soon as we do.

The new expanded Premier division also includes a new Southern Conference that consists of the Ipswich Cardinals, Farnham Knights, Bristol Aztecs, London Olympians, London Warriors & London Blitz.

We wish all our 2012 opponents the very best of luck for the forthcoming season.

The Bulls are also one of the most successful teams in the land, only failing to make the playoffs 5 times out of 28 seasons, and winning 4 British titles. The team represented the UK in the inaugural Eurobowl, where they placed third.

Honours:

British / National Champions: 1995, 1991, 1988, 1986.
British / National Runners-up: 2000, 1999, 1996, 1994, 1989.
Conference Champions: 2011, 2005, 2000, 1998, 1996, 1992, 1991, 1989, 1988, 1986, 1985

(Win-Loss-Tie)

2011 BAFA Community Leagues Division One 9-1-0*
2010 BAFA Community Leagues Division One 2-8-0
2009 BAFA Community Leagues Division One 4-6-0
2008 British Senior League Premier Division 1-7-0
2007 British Senior League Premier Division 5-4-1
2006 British Senior League Division One Northern Conference 7-3-0*
2005 British Senior League Division One Northern Conference 10-0-0*
2004 British Senior League Division One Northern Conference 8-1-1*
2003 British Senior League Division One Northern Conference 7-3-0*
2002 British Senior League Division One Northern Conference 8-2-0*
2001 British Senior League Division One Northern Conference 5-3-0*
2000 British Senior League Division One Northern Conference 7-1-0*
1999 British Senior League Division One National Conference 5-2-0*
1998 British Senior League Division One Northern Conference 9-1-0*
1997 British Independent Gridiron Conference 3-3-0*
1996 British Senior League Division Two Northern Conference 10-0-0*
1995 BAFA Division One 9-1-0*
1994 BAFA Division One 6-4-0*
1993 NDMA Central Conference 6-4-0
1992 NDMA Southern Conference 9-1-0*
1991 NDMA Northern Conference 9-1-0*
1990 NDMA Northern Conference 9-1-0*
1989 Budweiser League Midlands Conference 9-1-0*
1988 Budweiser League National Division Midlands Conference 12-1-1*
1987 Budweiser League National Division Western Conference 7-3-0*
1986 BAFL National League Central Conference 10-2-0*
1985 AFL Midlands Division 12-0-0*
1984 Merit table 4-3-0

* Competed in Play-offs

Over the coming days, weeks and months the Birmingham Bulls will share all important news items with the 606v2 community as we're aware of the interest in the BUAFL and BAFANL seasons on these boards.

Looking forward to some lively debate!

Don't forget to visit, Like, Follow or Subscribe to our social media, mind;

Facebook: Official Birmingham Bulls
Twitter: @BirminghamBulls
YouTube: BirminghamBullsTV

Thanks guys,

Birmingham Bulls

UNITED WE STAND!

Birmingham Bulls

Back to top Go down

Birmingham Bulls: A brief overview Empty Re: Birmingham Bulls: A brief overview

Post by The Mangler US_UK Fri 09 Dec 2011, 5:59 pm

That's a sharp looking logo. Good luck in the upcoming season.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Dec 2011, 6:12 pm

So how many leagues are there in Britain? Is there any way I can find out which teams are local to me, may consider trying out for a low level team if there is one. I live in Kent if that's any help

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 09 Dec 2011, 6:30 pm

bambamwillis wrote:So how many leagues are there in Britain? Is there any way I can find out which teams are local to me, may consider trying out for a low level team if there is one. I live in Kent if that's any help
There is the Premier Division, Division 1 (split North, Central, South), Division 2 (split North, Central, East, West). Where abouts do you live? Or you can look on this helpful map: http://hovercookers.co.uk/bafanl/findateam

Edit: Some of the locations on that map may no longer be up to date, as I found out by being surprised that the Staffordshire Surge were in the very easy to get to (for me) Burton-upon-trent to then check up further and see they're in Stoke.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Birmingham Bulls Fri 09 Dec 2011, 6:52 pm

Thanks Mangler!

@bambam - The link provided by Derbyblue is a definitive list of the teams in the BAFANL. As stated in the OP, there has been a league restructure, so I'm not sure if Division One is still split into North, Central and South, but I can check that for you.

As mentioned before, the Prem is now a North and South conference.

I'll be posting an article about our indoor sessions starting in January in a bit, so if you're in or around the Midlands, keep your eyes peeled!

Coach Amor
Birmingham Bulls

Birmingham Bulls

Back to top Go down

Post by Birmingham Bulls Fri 09 Dec 2011, 6:56 pm

Oh dear, I should probably read comments in full before responding. I see you live in Kent.

You could try the Kent Exiles; http://www.kentexiles.co.uk/

Hope that helps!

Birmingham Bulls

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Dec 2011, 7:05 pm

The Kent Exiles and Maidstone Pumas are probably the closest to me, looks like the Exiles gave the Pumas a bit of a whalloping last season, 62-20 and 78-6!

Might head down to a training session at the Pumas next year, do you have any idea what the standard is like? I am in fairly decent physical shape but am certainly not a massive guy

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Birmingham Bulls Fri 09 Dec 2011, 7:25 pm

Hi Bambam,

Division 1 (which I believe Kent will be participating in next year) is a pretty competitive division with some established teams.

Don't let that put you off though.

You don't need to be 'massive' to play this game. In fact, at the Bulls, we have some pretty small guys on the depth chart. The reason clubs hold rookie training camps is to drill the fundamentals / basics in to the players.

The coaches will best positioned to evaluate your ability and see what position you'd be best suited to.

Get in contact with the Exiles and find out when their rookie camps / pre-season starts and they'll help you from there.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on though! Whilst the Bulls are chuffed to bits with the exposure 606v2 is giving us, it's not just about our growth - it's about British American Football as a whole. The more people that play the game in this country, the better!

Coach Amor
Birmingham Bulls

UNITED WE STAND!

Birmingham Bulls

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue 13 Dec 2011, 8:43 am

Interesting and informative posts Coach, please keep 'em coming.

One quick question for you. What's your view of the NFL thinking of having a team based here in the UK? Good or bad for the BAFA?

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Birmingham Bulls Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:05 am

TM Moot wrote:One quick question for you. What's your view of the NFL thinking of having a team based here in the UK? Good or bad for the BAFA?

Well, firstly these opinions are my own, and not that of the Bulls as a club (thought I may have to throw that out there!).

I'd personally love to see an NFL franchise based in the UK, but fear it's too much of a logistical nightmare for it to actually become a reality.

As for it's impact on BAFA, I think if it happened, it could only be good for British American Football. Looking at it simplistically, you'd have greater exposure on a weekly basis which would drive interest forward in the amateur game - hopefully seeing an increase in the numbers of people playing the game and spectating.

Not only that, but I believe having a professional NFL team based in this country would go some way to improving the standard of our game. Players could look at it and say "hey, I want to reach that level" and do something about it, like attending US colleges. The only example I know of this is Elliott Hoyte who has successfully obtained a full scholarship (at least, I think it's full) at Boise State University. Elliot's a product of the Bristol Aztecs youth system and decided very early that he wanted to play American Football. This is the kind of success that BAFA teams can be proud of, and I believe more could follow.

Apologies if my post seems a bit of a ramble. It's 9am and I've yet to have a Red Bull.

Cheers!

Coach Amor
Birmingham Bulls

Birmingham Bulls

Back to top Go down

Post by Birmingham Bulls Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:16 am

Elliot heading to Boise St.

Here is a link to an article about Elliot.

Coach Amor
Birmingham Bulls

Birmingham Bulls

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:20 am

Thanks for the speedy reply Coach.

The general view on here was mostly sceptical, I guess most forumers already 'have' a team.

I know i would love to see the Packers play over here, not sure if i would go and see the London Olympians (?!) though.

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:19 am

Moot - you can see the London Olympians play any time in the summer - they are in the BAFA league. Don't know if they would give up their name for an NFL team though! Not sure naming them after a 1 year event is a good idea. Smile

The WL was good for the British game for the reach coach has given above. At the time 2 Bulls and 1 Ravens player made the Monarchs squad (not sure but I think a couple of other Britball players made the Monarchs or other teams in the WL before it folded). Had it kept going I think it would have continued to draw top players from the native countries and that in turn would have helped the British game no end.

For me though, having a full NFL team won't do a hell of a lot for Britball. The NFL (for sound business reasons) hasn't given us a great deal of help to date, and an NFL team over here wouldn't really change that. The difference in skill level is a gulf and the only hope any of our players would have is to got to college in the US. I'm not sure an NFL team would make the difference there.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:35 am

skins4ever wrote:Moot - you can see the London Olympians play any time in the summer - they are in the BAFA league. Don't know if they would give up their name for an NFL team though! Not sure naming them after a 1 year event is a good idea. Smile

Damn, you're right. Shocked

Sorry Olympians, I was just trying to think of a suitable marketable team name for a new UK NFL franchise. I thought I was being quite original with the name... Very Happy

Thinking about it, I guess if a current NFL team had to move, based purely on the name, then it should be the Ravens or Lions.

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 13 Dec 2011, 5:31 pm

Alliteration abounds!

If any team moves it will be the Jags - and of course, if they came hear they'd have to change their logo to a posh car and learn how to say Jaguar properly! Whistle

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 13 Dec 2011, 6:05 pm

Birmingham Bulls wrote:Elliot heading to Boise St.

Here is a link to an article about Elliot.

Coach Amor
Birmingham Bulls
There is this guy too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-12878425

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 6:58 pm

There are a few examples of UK born players attending US colleges like Tom Wort, MLB, Oklahoma(real good player) and Tariq Polley, OL, Utah State but most, including Wort and Polley, only took up the game after moving to the US at a young age. It's good to see a guy like Elliot Hoyte obtain a scholarship after playing in the BAFA. The general standard in our leagues makes it difficult for young players but this shows that if you're good enough then you'll get a shot.

Here's another interesting story: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/sports/ncaafootball/recruiters-pounce-on-british-transfer-with-no-football-experience.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 3:48 pm

Oklahoma LB Tom Wort article in The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/20/ton-wort-rugby-pads Good player, he'll have a role in the NFL.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 21 Dec 2011, 5:50 pm

I read about Wort, was going to ask in the prospects thread what he was like, but then thought he is only a sophomore so isn't a prospect for this year.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down