The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cue Action

2 posters

Go down

Cue Action Empty Cue Action

Post by TwisT Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 9:54

After Marco Fu's closely fought match against Mark Allen last night, I noticed something that I hadn't before from the Hong Kong dragon....

.....He doesn't appear to have a cue action.

His action is an exact copy to the one I use - point the cue close to the cue ball, emphasised back swing, pause and release.

I noticed that he never struggled to get into the ball to produce spin, even though I was always taught that having a good cue action would aid you to get backspin. Players like Shaun Murphy, who is known for a fluid cue action, can generate a lot of pace and spin with, what appears to be, minimum effort. However, if you look at Marco's action, how much of the cue action debate is actually about the action itself and more to do with personal preference?

When you guys play snooker, do you have a very pronounced cue action or do you just tend to change it depending on the shot and where the cue ball is? Did you struggle, like I did, keeping to a natural rhythm and doing the same routine at every shot?

Thoughts?

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Cue Action Empty Re: Cue Action

Post by Beer Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 9:58

For me it depends on ball positioning and the type of shot i want to take on. I've also learnt recently to control my shorter shots more by bridging closer to the tip, whereas usually i had a long gap between them and this caused the occasional miscue.

I find with either i can still generate as much spin or screw as required.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 10:12

King Beer wrote:For me it depends on ball positioning and the type of shot i want to take on. I've also learnt recently to control my shorter shots more by bridging closer to the tip, whereas usually i had a long gap between them and this caused the occasional miscue.

What is interesting about Fu's action is that, you would think, he should be stunning the cue ball more. He jabs at the cue ball rather than having a more fluid stroke.

By bridging closer to the cue ball KB, do you find that you are restricted in how much pace you can put on it? With a longer follow through, you should get more pace I would have thought?

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 10:16

TwisT wrote:
King Beer wrote:For me it depends on ball positioning and the type of shot i want to take on. I've also learnt recently to control my shorter shots more by bridging closer to the tip, whereas usually i had a long gap between them and this caused the occasional miscue.

What is interesting about Fu's action is that, you would think, he should be stunning the cue ball more. He jabs at the cue ball rather than having a more fluid stroke.

By bridging closer to the cue ball KB, do you find that you are restricted in how much pace you can put on it? With a longer follow through, you should get more pace I would have thought?

It's a misconception that being closer would cause you to stun the ball more. In most cases it's simply a cases of elevating the angle to generate screw or pushing through the top of the ball more.

Never had the issue with pace, i find that because i bridge closer, much action is smoother, therefore more controlled, so i can afford to put a bit more 'ooomph' into the shot.

A longer follow through does perhaps give a bit of extra pace, but what you gain, you lose in cue and cue ball control. I've noticed a significant improvement in my game since i changed.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 10:25

I had to do the opposite. I was far too close to the cue ball and had to come back a good few inches. Maybe we are about the same now KB.

It does give me the ability to screw the ball back further now. The usual scenerio I found myself in was a straight red in the bottom pockets around the black spot. All I wanted to do was screw the ball back a few inches to have the black in the same pocket. What I found was it didn't come back enough and I would have a stupid angle to try and get the black in the opposite pocket than the one I intended.

He is one of a kind though Marco. Every shot is so clinical but with minimum effort. Simply points, back, bang.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 10:54

Yeah agree on the point about Marco, in the same way i've been fascinated with the way in which Trump puts so much top on the ball with so little effort.

I've recently tried to improve my spin accuracy and practicisng the use of side. How do you find it with your adjusted cue action?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:10

King Beer wrote:Yeah agree on the point about Marco, in the same way i've been fascinated with the way in which Trump puts so much top on the ball with so little effort.

I've recently tried to improve my spin accuracy and practicisng the use of side. How do you find it with your adjusted cue action?

Now that my bridge is further back, the angle of the cue has increased. I now find it easier to get into the ball than before. If anything, I have had to relearn how to use side, because before I used to have to hit at the extreme left or right, for barely any spin. The problem I have now is that is I am still in that mindset. This means with my elevated cue, I am swerving the ball slightly when I put top on it, even for non-power shots.

I had a couple of practice frames on my own to combat this, and re-evaluate how much spin I need. Top and screw are no problem now. i just need to remember to follow through more, which has been another issue with taking my bridge hand further back.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:16

I've taken the time to use it in practice games. Pulled off a cracker of a shot in a match on Tuesday. Angled red to the middle, black went to the other middle bag, loads of top left, slammed it in, off top cushion, off bottom cushion and left it sat perfect for a straight black. Shot's like that give me confidence in playing with top side more often.

My cue is pretty much perfect. My local landlord is a whizz with cues. He sanded it down, taking all the lacquer off it, then gave it a coat of linseed oil. It feels perfect when i play now. Only thing is my tip needs sanding a bit as i've had some kickback at times.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:24

King Beer wrote:I've taken the time to use it in practice games. Pulled off a cracker of a shot in a match on Tuesday. Angled red to the middle, black went to the other middle bag, loads of top left, slammed it in, off top cushion, off bottom cushion and left it sat perfect for a straight black. Shot's like that give me confidence in playing with top side more often.

My cue is pretty much perfect. My local landlord is a whizz with cues. He sanded it down, taking all the lacquer off it, then gave it a coat of linseed oil. It feels perfect when i play now. Only thing is my tip needs sanding a bit as i've had some kickback at times.

Wish I had Hawk-Eye and Taylor's white lines to picture it thumbsup

My cue is a bog standard two piece that I had since my teens. I have tried other cues, even brought myself a nice 3-piece two years ago, but I always return to my old one. Just feels better. I usually go to Rileys every week, try and practice as much as possible. Then if the tournaments come round at the local I take part - even the pool ones.

By the way....where is everyone on the Snooker forum? Trying to drum up some interest in here.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:33

It's always been quiet here.

www.onthebaize.com is a good place for hints and tips and cracking videos.
I bought myself a cue, a Paul Hunter 2 piece. Dropped it in frustration at missing an easy shot and it snapped at the joint, so i broke it into about 7 pieces. A mate gave me his old cue and it's fantastic.

A guy who drinks in my local has a one piece. It's about 4ft 7" and it's the best cue i've ever played with.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:37

You had the Paul Hunter two piece?! That is my cue lol. White trim at the bottom and with Paul's signiture on it? JJB sports finest Very Happy

Do you prefer heavy or light cues?

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:44

Mine had a green pattern on it?

Light cues all the way. As ridiculous as it may sound, i like the cue to just feel natural, like it's just an extension of my arm. Something heavy i find distracting.

What's your approach to the table like? In pool, if i can see an opening, i like to get in, no hesitation and just try and play fluenty from the off, rather than over thinking and talking myself out of shots.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:52

I usually assess things right at the beginning, and plan my move for red/colour/red. Then I stop and assess again. That way I don't get too far ahead of myself and miss easy balls because I am concentrating on position.

Pool, like you, I just get in and play. I am pretty confident that any shot on a pool table I could get, so I don't really pre-plan. Unless it is a really poor spread and I would have to play cannons to open the play up.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:56

This is my Paul Hunter cue (available on Ebay - or that is at least where I found the image Shocked ):

Spoiler:

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:59

TwisT wrote:This is my Paul Hunter cue (available on Ebay - or that is at least where I found the image Shocked ):

Spoiler:

Can't see it, work filter.

Will check it out later.

How long have you been playing for? Do you play league or just tournaments?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 12:35

I have played for over 10 years, but the last 5 years I have got more into it. I usually play pool tournaments. Although I like the competitve nature, most weeks all I want to do is go to Rileys and play 10 frames with my mates round robin. Only time we joined a league is when we all did it together.

That said I am a big snooker armchair fan. It is probably, outside of football, the one sport I would plan my evening around if it was on.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 12:44

I play pool league mainly. Do enjoy the friendly games of snooker.

I do enjoy watching Snooker, especially when guys like Ronnie, Trump and Robertson are playing.

You ever heard of Ollie Dale?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 12:47

Can't say I have mate. Who is he?

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 12:59

I think i got his name right?

Lads in the pub were telling me about this lad who plays one handed snooker shots, screwing the length of the table.

Can't clarify his name but youtube some vids. Some of the shots are out of this world.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 13:03

I will have to have a look see later. Have your problem though now - office blocker Very Happy

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down