The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was Cotto about to quit again?

5 posters

Go down

Was Cotto about to quit again? Empty Was Cotto about to quit again?

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 12:30

Watched the fight again and at the end of the 9th round Cotto looked really tired...Steward the former trainer of Cotto also said he looked gassed.

I believe the last 3 rounds would of been a recurring nightmare for Cotto...Margarito had just fought his best round of the fight in the 9th and had hurt Cotto with a left hook early in the round.

I don't think the referee intentionally stopped it to save Cotto from getting knocked out...but I think it worked out as a move that ultimately may have saved Cotto from getting taken out in the last three or quitting like he has before.

If you look at the 9th round...Cotto took a lot of punishment in that round and Margarito looked to be the stronger fighter.

Cotto's face was badly marked up...We likely would have seen the bleeding start in the closing stages of the fight.

The doctor obviously didn't set out to prevent Margarito from making history by stopping Cotto a second time but I think in the end that's what happened.

Cotto failed to prove that he is a different fighter...He looked mentally about to crumble as he did in the first fight but the doctor's decision saved him the humilation of quitting a third time in his career.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Was Cotto about to quit again? Empty Re: Was Cotto about to quit again?

Post by Captain Lucas Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 12:41

Here's the facts: Cotto was ahead 8-rounds to 1 going into the 10th. Margarito's eye was closed by the 7th round. The Doctor gave Margarito the 7th, 8th, and 9th to do his thing - he had his chance but Cotto was too good for him.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 12:45

The genius of PBF wrote:

Cotto failed to prove that he is a different fighter...He looked mentally about to crumble as he did in the first fight but the doctor's decision saved him the humilation of quitting a third time in his career.

With every respect, PBF, this is more than a little tenuous.

It's the nature of boxing at the highest level that there will be ebbs and flows and that, in a competitive fight, each man will from time to time look a little worse for wear. In this instance I believe you are trying to manipulate the events to suit your agenda rather than allow your agenda to be governed and shaped by the events.

Cotto won the fight fairly and squarely, and you are the first person ( as far as I'm aware, ) to suggest that he was on the brink of quitting.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 12:50

Captain Lucas wrote:Here's the facts: Cotto was ahead 8-rounds to 1 going into the 10th. Margarito's eye was closed by the 7th round. The Doctor gave Margarito the 7th, 8th, and 9th to do his thing - he had his chance but Cotto was too good for him.

Morales had one eye shut against Maidana but was allowed to last the distance...Margarito seemed to becoming on strong and had his best round of the fight.

I believe Cotto was about to quit again...Even Steward his former trainer said Cotto looked winded and was relieved that the fight was stopped.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 12:54

Did Morales have an artificial lens in his eye like Margarito? And the difference in that fight was that Morales made it competitive and made it very close. On the contrary, Margarito was getting beat up. Stick to watching Mayweather beating up on lightweights. Looks like Robert Guerrero is next!

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 12:57

My god you talk absolute garbage.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:00

Captain Lucas wrote:Did Morales have an artificial lens in his eye like Margarito? And the difference in that fight was that Morales made it competitive and made it very close. On the contrary, Margarito was getting beat up. Stick to watching Mayweather beating up on lightweights. Looks like Robert Guerrero is next!

Margarito was getting outboxed not beat up and was coming on strong...Speaking of close fights remember Cotto scrapping past the mighty Clottey and Malignaggi?

Hey Guerrero is a live fighter maybe Cotto can learn something and not pick on shot fighters like Mayorga.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:01

Imperial Ghosty wrote:My god you talk absolute garbage.

Dariusz Michalczewski knocking out RJJ? laughing

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:03

In a word, no. Margarito was tagging cotto more in the 9th but cotto was hitting marg with harder shots also. He wasn't afraid to go toe-to-toe with the bigger man in bursts. Cotto was visibly weakened by round 10 in the first fight. Cotto was tired but looked like he could go on for another 5 rounds

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:04

http://www.boxingscene.com/steward-cotto-rematch-tough-fight-pacquiao--46960

Think Steward makes a good point that the next few rounds Cotto was going to struggle.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:05

Loath as I am to put on my admin hat, I believe it might be an idea to drop an early word to the wise.

This is a controversial thread ( nothing wrong with that, by the way, ) with the potential for fireworks. Would really appreciate it if we continue to argue the issues without injecting personal stuff.

Thanks, fellas.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:09

The genius of PBF wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:My god you talk absolute garbage.

Dariusz Michalczewski knocking out RJJ? laughing

It's a prediction unlike you with an apparent dislike for Cotto, twisting pitiful arguments to suit your own personal agenda.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:13

If I had a agenda against Cotto would I have defended Margarito over the hand wraps?...I believe Margarito used illegal hand wraps in the 1st fight against Cotto.

I think you have agenda against RJJ to make that prediction.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:15

The genius of PBF wrote:http://www.boxingscene.com/steward-cotto-rematch-tough-fight-pacquiao--46960

Think Steward makes a good point that the next few rounds Cotto was going to struggle.

Well obviously, marg comes on strong late and cotto starts well and fades. BUT, he didn't look in any trouble, marg had hit him and cotto had taken them well, a lot better than he did in the first fight. Cotto was landing the harder punches, snapping tony's head back with a couple of shots.

http://www.boxingscene.com/compubox-stats-miguel-cotto-antonio-margarito-fight-1--46764

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=cotto-margarito-rematch-compubox

if you look at both, marg had landed 46 power punches in the 7th and landed over 20 power punches in 7 of the 11 rounds. In the second the first time he landed over 20 was the 9th. Cotto was not nearly as tired as the first fight and his best numbers came in the 9th where 50% of his power shots landed. Marg's eye would have popped before cotto was in the same state he was in in the first fight

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:15

Fact is PBF you contribute very little to this site and the majority of what you do contribute is nonstop bile about how useless Cotto is hence why it's clear you have an agenda, discussion over.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:16

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:In a word, no. Margarito was tagging cotto more in the 9th but cotto was hitting marg with harder shots also. He wasn't afraid to go toe-to-toe with the bigger man in bursts. Cotto was visibly weakened by round 10 in the first fight. Cotto was tired but looked like he could go on for another 5 rounds

Not sure he could go another 5 rounds to be honest, always felt Cotto fades late...The same thing happened against Mosley which is why the fight was 115-113.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:24

The reason I interpret this as an agenda, PBF, is that you have absolutely no evidence to back up your suspicion that Cotto wanted to quit, yet you still level at him the greatest insult which can be levelled at a fighter.

If it isn't an agenda, then please provide evidence, as opposed to tenuous speculation and suspicion.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:24

The genius of PBF wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:In a word, no. Margarito was tagging cotto more in the 9th but cotto was hitting marg with harder shots also. He wasn't afraid to go toe-to-toe with the bigger man in bursts. Cotto was visibly weakened by round 10 in the first fight. Cotto was tired but looked like he could go on for another 5 rounds

Not sure he could go another 5 rounds to be honest, always felt Cotto fades late...The same thing happened against Mosley which is why the fight was 115-113.

True but mosley is much more of a dynamic puncher than marg is. Marg wears you down by landing many whereas mosley can knock you out with a shot at any time. Mosley also has a speed advantage, marg shots where easy to read so cotto could take some force out of them. We saw when marg fought pacquiao, he connected plenty of times but apart from a body shot in the 6th manny was never hurt and manny although tough is smaller than cotto. I also think fighting at 154 made cotto's punch resistance increase so he could take more punishment

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:35

HumanWindmill wrote:The reason I interpret this as an agenda, PBF, is that you have absolutely no evidence to back up your suspicion that Cotto wanted to quit, yet you still level at him the greatest insult which can be levelled at a fighter.

If it isn't an agenda, then please provide evidence, as opposed to tenuous speculation and suspicion.

He submitted in the first fight against Margarito I believe he said something along the lines that he was thinking of his family.

He did the same thing to some extent against Pacquiao where he was just trying to survive.

No agenda have nothing against Cotto, think he is a good fighter but not hall of fame.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 13:43

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
The genius of PBF wrote:

True but mosley is much more of a dynamic puncher than marg is. Marg wears you down by landing many whereas mosley can knock you out with a shot at any time. Mosley also has a speed advantage, marg shots where easy to read so cotto could take some force out of them. We saw when marg fought pacquiao, he connected plenty of times but apart from a body shot in the 6th manny was never hurt and manny although tough is smaller than cotto. I also think fighting at 154 made cotto's punch resistance increase so he could take more punishment

Good point...To Cotto's credit he tied up Margarito more...I thought Cotto got stunned in the 9th round and the pressure Margarito applies takes a lot out of you especially with Cotto known to fade late...Think the last few rounds would have been tough for Cotto.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 14:19

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Fact is PBF you contribute very little to this site and the majority of what you do contribute is nonstop bile about how useless Cotto is hence why it's clear you have an agenda, discussion over.

clap

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down