The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The enigma that is Johnnie Beattie

+10
George Carlin
Scot Abroad
Turkster
21st Century Schizoid Man
TJ1
nickj
LuvSports!
gowales
LondonTiger
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
14 posters

Go down

The enigma that is Johnnie Beattie Empty The enigma that is Johnnie Beattie

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:19 pm

From scottishrugbyblog.co.uk:

"How Do You Solve A Problem Like J. Beattie?

Posted by Alan Dymock at 12.05am

There’s an elephant in the room. The kind of elephant that once had the most poach-worthy tusks in the savannah but is now dozing in the shadows of his team mates. Johnnie Beattie is the missing man at Glasgow and no one is pointing out his absence with so much as a hushed murmur.

Last week in a dismal draw with the Dragons Beattie was one of the few to make a positive impression on the game. He crunched into contact; he raced into defensive holes; he absorbed fallen balls; he put his hand up; he shouted. We are told that he is not currently injured and we have seen that he was capable of playing 65 minutes in Newport. Now we are told that he missed out because there must be a reward for guys like “Ryan Wilson for the outstanding form they’ve been showing.” Guys like Ryan Wilson are rewarded with a start, sure, but Beattie is not even on the bench.

For balance it is fair to point out that Moray Low is also not in the squad, despite being fit. His situation is hugely different, though. He is having a crisis of confidence. After first being dropped he played for Aberdeen Grammar in RBS Premier One and was yellow carded before he had a chance to make an impact. He then came back to Glasgow but has not elbowed his way back to the front of the queue. He is not going to be out of contract in the summer, though, and he is needed by Scotland. Glasgow will be using him again soon.

As for his back-row cohort: it must be frustrating. A good performance after being out in the cold is followed by a week of no rugby. He is not back with Ayr* for their trip to Tralee Park to face Munster ‘A’ in the British & Irish Cup. He has history in that competition having played in Ayr’s win over Plymouth a few weeks back, scoring the winner at the death. This not only showed he could still be in the mood for a rugby game, but also that he was fit enough to play. He isn’t playing.

For now he is missing opportunities. Lineen has said that he and Low will get other chances but for Beattie the clock is ticking. There are breakaways ahead of him in the pecking order right now and his contract is up in about six months time. If he does want to leave, is he still in the shop window?

As I pointed out in my piece ‘Rory Lamont: Free Agent’ it is becoming acceptable for a club and a player to agree a mutual termination if it is not working out for either. Lamont did it to move from Toulon to Glasgow and Euan Murray did it to move from Northampton to Newcastle. This week it happened in another way. Peter Stringer of Ireland moved ‘on loan’ to Saracens because he was not getting any game time at Munster and the London club were having issues with their scrum-halves.

Now I am not saying a mutual termination will happen or even that this is the best thing for both parties. Nonetheless, with Beattie out in the cold and Aviva Premiership teams like Worcester having a back-row “mini-crisis” perhaps a loan could be possible. Perhaps a change could happen as the prized elephant trumpets a reminder to Mr. Robinson."

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

The enigma that is Johnnie Beattie Empty Re: The enigma that is Johnnie Beattie

Post by LondonTiger Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:23 pm

I do not see the Scottish teams play very often, but what I have seen of Johnnie Beattie he is a class act. If he is surplus to requirements at Glasgow, they must have a very strong back row.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

LT, Ryan Wilson is an up&coming 8, but hasn't reached the heights that Beattie did by any stretch yet. The rumours are that it is more a question of attitude that is stopping his selection - sometimes he looks like the colossus that he can be, at other times like he has little interest in the game. I think a coach with a bent for getting the best out of players that need motivating would sort him out, it might just not be Sean Lineen at Glasgow OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:58 pm

Thinking about it Cardiff Blues could do with another decent no.8. Rush is getting on a bit now and there isn't another established no.8 in the Blues squad i don't think. Could he follow Parks down to Wales?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:02 pm

I thought he was the future of Scottish Rugby after powerful performances in the 2010 6 nations, especially that memorable win over Ireland, with his barnstorming run and try.
I think he was rushed back after his shoulder injury and Robinson didnt pick for him for the WC as he has a tendency to drift in and out of games. It is a shame though because personally if there was a lions tour in 2010, Beattie was the best no8 in the BI.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:11 pm

Looks like one of the mooted options at Worcester has disappeared

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16176323.stm

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:13 pm

Its his head that appears to be in the wrong place - he needs some help with it IMO

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:33 pm

It looks to me more like bad management than anything else.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:17 pm

His shoulder is still bothering him apparently - nothing to do with bad management

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:20 pm

gowales wrote:Thinking about it Cardiff Blues could do with another decent no.8. Rush is getting on a bit now and there isn't another established no.8 in the Blues squad i don't think. Could he follow Parks down to Wales?

thought a certain ex-bath no.8 currently in exile in Australia was signing for them next season?

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:25 pm

JB was in the foyer of the club on Sunday with DTHvDM signing fixture calenders and looked chipper enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 14 Dec 2011, 6:36 pm

He already stated in the Daily Record (the number one source for rugby information) that he wants to secure another contract at Glasgow. I’ll try to find the link.

Edit: found it

Beattie said: “The appetite has always been there – although I admit what I have managed to string together on the pitch hasn’t been what I would have expected from myself.

“Now I will go out and play as hard as I can at Rodney Parade, stay in good fettle and get back on the radar with the Six Nations on the horizon. I have a massive few weeks ahead for the Warriors with the crunch stage of the Heineken Cup.

“We also have the festive back-to-back tussles with Edinburgh, which everyone loves being a part of.”

Beattie also made it clear he will not be seeking a move when his Glasgow contract runs out later this season. He said: “One of the reasons there is pressure on me to play well is I want to stay here.

“With our switch from Firhill to Scotstoun it will be an exciting time for the club.

“It is my home-town team and I have played all my pro rugby here – it is up to me to earn that new contract.”

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 14 Dec 2011, 6:52 pm

The shoulder surgery was in summer 2010 but it was a substantial reconstruction of his left shoulder (unlike Eddie who just keeps dislocating his). One of the saddest things for Scottish fans is seeing JB less than his best.

Because at his best, he's a bullet repelling big monster of a ball carrier.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by luvtotup Wed 14 Dec 2011, 7:26 pm

Surely he will get a look in this weekend- Wilson seems to be struggling imo and a bench place for Beattie is the least he should expect.

luvtotup

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Dec 2011, 7:48 pm

luvtotup wrote:Surely he will get a look in this weekend- Wilson seems to be struggling imo and a bench place for Beattie is the least he should expect.
Agreed, luvtotup, I'd consider starting him with Wilson on the bench instead of Fusaro just in case it all goes jubblies-up

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:40 am

Don't get me started on JB jnr.

2010 arguably the best no 8 in the northern hemisphere, competative with Parisee and dominant over Heaslip. To be honest has not been the same player since his injury. Good to see him included in the Glasgow squad in the HC this weekend.

A chance to show the fans and more importantly AR that he is ready to reclaim the no 8 shirt like his father and reunite the killer Bs for the 6N.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 16 Dec 2011, 4:55 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
A chance to show the fans and more importantly AR that he is ready to reclaim the no 8 shirt like his father and reunite the killer Bs for the 6N.

that sounds like some sort of prophecy. "When the prodigal son returns, 3 will become 1, and none shall stand before them..."
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:08 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

that sounds like some sort of prophecy. "When the prodigal son returns, 3 will become 1, and none shall stand before them..."

Ha, brilliant!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 20 Dec 2011, 5:56 pm

And by the name Beattie shall ye know the Father and the Son. angel
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down