The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what effect will the new IRB board have on rugby?

3 posters

Go down

what effect will the new IRB board have on rugby? Empty what effect will the new IRB board have on rugby?

Post by blackcanelion Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:42 pm

The IRB has elected a new board. My understanding is that it has diluted the impact of the British and Irish nations at the board level. The board makes most of the decisions and was traditionally dominated by England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Now there are just three officials 1 English man (Beaumont), and two Irish lads. The only connection to the 3 senior positions being the current CEO.

My thought is this: Lappasset was elected on a platform of change, his and Hoskin's support is based on a fair amount of support from emerging areas and Australia and South Africa. There are two board members from outside the power bases of the game (Japan and North America). Will this lead to a change in the game timetables (more games for minor teams), a change in the world cup schedule (Aus, SA, Argentina and NZ want later starting dates), or any other changes?

It seems to me it will result in changes of some sort, there's an increase in the decision makers from outside the conservative, traditional powerbase. Britain/Ireland are now a minority on the board for the perhaps the first time. Here's the link for the board: http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pressrelease/newsid=2060876.html#lapasset+elected+irb+chairman

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

what effect will the new IRB board have on rugby? Empty Re: what effect will the new IRB board have on rugby?

Post by Biltong Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:49 am

The mere fact that Hoskins is in the mix should concern nobody, he has been a mere pushover in the SANZAR setup, he will have little impact if any on the new setup.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

what effect will the new IRB board have on rugby? Empty Re: what effect will the new IRB board have on rugby?

Post by munkian Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:08 am

I think it will have little effect - I thought Beaumont wanted to make changes ? Erm
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down