The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rookie of the Year

+8
liegerwoods
EmmDee57
Faldono1fan
Lairdy
ScottieD18
super_realist
McLaren
Doon the Water
12 posters

Go down

Rookie of the Year Empty Rookie of the Year

Post by Doon the Water Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:00 am

No surprise that it is Tom Lewis.

Do you think he will be the first Englisman to win an Open since Wham were TOTP?

Coming up for 18 years now. Approaching the same gap at Max Faulkner and TonyJacklin.
Strangely it was also an 18 year gap between Jacklin and Faldo, perhaps it is written in the stars!

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Rookie of the Year Empty Re: Rookie of the Year

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:33 am

I wonder if the presence of u-line will spook him?

It is good to see that once donald and co move over there are some good players coming through. Not the case just after Faldo faded.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:48 am

Seen nothing from Uihlein which makes me think he's going to be anything more than a journeyman. Much too much of a priveleged upbringing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:10 am

Why would having a privileged upbringing have anything to do with it?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:17 am

I hope Tom Lewis manages his own expectations and gives himself a few years to get fully established.

McIlroy's progression the last 4 years was almost perfect. He even had a quiet summer his first full year on tour to make him realise the game, even for the best, can sometimes be difficult.

A few other young guys have stalled a little recently (Ryo Ishikawa, Matteo Manassero) so will be interesting to keep an eye on Tom Lewis's progress next year. The best of luck to him.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:17 am

Difficult to explain Mac, but I get the impression that a man in Uihlein's position has probably had smoke blown up his backside his whole life, plus knowing that he'll never want for anything. Can't see him having the same desire as someone like McIlroy, whose parents really had to struggle to support him.

Of course there will be plenty exceptions, but Uihlein doesn't really impress me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:24 am

Super

I would class mcilroys upbringing as quite privileged given that his parents dedicated everything to his golf career. I would have won a masters and a US open by now if my parents had done that.

I wonder super, did you come from a poor background as you seem to have a bit of an issue with typical middle class types and those who come from better of households? Don’t let your commonness cloud your thinking.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:32 am

McLaren wrote:Super

I would class mcilroys upbringing as quite privileged given that his parents dedicated everything to his golf career. I would have won a masters and a US open by now if my parents had done that.

I wonder super, did you come from a poor background as you seem to have a bit of an issue with typical middle class types and those who come from better of households? Don’t let your commonness cloud your thinking.

Mac,
I come from an averagely middle class family so have no bitterness towards the wealthy or priveleged, unlike the Guardianista, who seem to think that being rich is evil and that you should share the fruits of your hard work with the poor. Rolling Eyes

I don't think McIlroy had that priveleged a background. His parents had to work bloody hard. I think his dad had three jobs, hardly the same as Uihlein being given everything he wanted on a plate or didn't even need free of charge.
The sacrifice Mcilroy's parents were making was surely an incentive for him to work harder than he would had he been given it on a plate.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 21 Dec 2011, 12:39 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that Peter Uihlein received none of the perks you'd think the son of the Acushnet CEO (or whatever he is/was) would have. He had to pay his own way for clubs etc. Not to say things were difficult for the lad but at least his family saw sense in not spoiling him that way. I actually think he'll turn out alright as a pro. Sort of a Stewart Cink type of career, perhaps without the major.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 21 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm

I still think Chris Wood is England's best chance for an Open.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 12:50 pm

Doon the Water wrote:I still think Chris Wood is England's best chance for an Open.

He looks to have the game but blew his chance of a first win this year in the Iberdrola Open. Clarke took advantage of Wood's train crash on Sunday. If Wood's had held his nerve then probably Clarke would not have won the Open.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm

Doon - He needs to recover from this back injury (bulging disc) that has kept him out since the Dunhill links in October. He managed to play a local Gloucestershire and Somerset PGA medal a couple of weeks ago.Just one round and a pairs event they finished runners up. I think he is hoping to be able to play in January. I agree he is a great links player and not just because he is a local lad!!

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 21 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm

Didn't realise he was injured, he does have the wrong frame for golf.
I followed him for a bit at Turnberry and he looked like he had all the makings of a great player.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 1:22 pm

Hopefully we'll see a lot more of Tom Lewis's mum on tv when he's playing. I enjoyed seeing her when he was at the Open this year.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:30 pm

super_realist wrote:

Mac,
I come from an averagely middle class family so have no bitterness towards the wealthy or priveleged, unlike the Guardianista, who seem to think that being rich is evil and that you should share the fruits of your hard work with the poor. Rolling Eyes

I don't think McIlroy had that priveleged a background. His parents had to work bloody hard. I think his dad had three jobs, hardly the same as Uihlein being given everything he wanted on a plate or didn't even need free of charge.
The sacrifice Mcilroy's parents were making was surely an incentive for him to work harder than he would had he been given it on a plate.

i think rory had a very priveleged upbringing. his parents gave him all the financial backing and support they could. as for his dad having three jobs....i doubt he worked 120hrs a week. anyone of us would push ourselves to the edge of exhaustion and financial meltdown if our child had the talent that rory clearly had at an early age and if we were unable to provide it im sure there would be someone falling over themself to assist. i remember watching the documentry on rory and pishing myself when they milked the whole struggling to make ends meet and they showed the house he grew up in and the putting green that mummy and daddy had installed........im sure the ballifs were kicking the door down.

dont get me wrong.

i have huge respect for the way rorys parents have raised him. they deserve huge credit because i think rory seems like a genuine bloke.
but save me the sob story.

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:22 pm

Doon the Water wrote:No surprise that it is Tom Lewis.

Do you think he will be the first Englisman to win an Open since Wham were TOTP?

Coming up for 18 years now. Approaching the same gap at Max Faulkner and TonyJacklin.
Strangely it was also an 18 year gap between Jacklin and Faldo, perhaps it is written in the stars!
The first bit I think's fine Doon. Can we leave out the hyperbolae though? At least can we wait for a few more wins before we anoint him as the new golfing Messiah?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:27 pm

Navy I hope just as you are, doon was yanking our chains.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:35 pm

I was watching the best young amateurs playing their final comp in one of the rich Arabian countries, a young female golfer impressed me winning her event by a handful of shots, in fact she was the only player in her comp to shoot under par (-5) now I can barely remember her name(had a few whiskys) think it was Hayley David or Davies, but I am sure she would be one of the up and coming British female golfers.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:41 pm

super_realist wrote:

Mac,

Doesnt David Cameron think he's just averagely middle class as well. Did you go to Eton Super ? Wink

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggers Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:18 pm

Doon the Water wrote:No surprise that it is Tom Lewis.

Um, the last Englishman to win The Open was Faldo in 1992 - 19 years ago and will, of course, be 20 years come the next Open Championship.

Baggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 22 Dec 2011, 8:05 am

Baggers..you are correct I thought it was 1994 that Faldo last won.

Well that's blown the 18 year theory...sorry Englanders you will have to wait even longer now.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down