The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement.

+26
TJ1
bathmad
WelshinEdinburgh
Gatts
21st Century Schizoid Man
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
George Carlin
dogtooth
RuggerRadge2611
doctor_grey
Rory_Gallagher
GLove39
bedfordwelsh
Tattie Scones RRN
Manky-Flanker
HERSH
bsando
bluestonevedder
rodders
IanBru
Rava
nickj
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
Dorothy_Mantooth
BATH_BTGOG
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement. Empty Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement.

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:37 am

Another great of the game bites the dust.

I have a lot of respect for Paterson he always seemed to hurt England when we played them, and he made me laugh when he was at Gloucester as he couldn't hit a barn door with his kicking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16274504.stm

Chris Paterson's Scotland career
Games - 109
Started - 96
Points - 809
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement. Empty Re: Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement.

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:47 am

A great servant to the Scottish game, scored 22 tries for Scotland which is often overlooked.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement. Empty Re: Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement.

Post by RDW Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:50 am

Absolute legend for Scotland but right decision - leave gracefully before overstaying your welcome.

He's not the player he used to be but still gives his all and has a huge amount to offer Edinburgh.

Absolute hero Sad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:57 am

A true Borders, lad, has always given everything for his country and never leaves anything on the pitch - he will be missed clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:00 am

A great servant of Scottish rugby. A true pro and a true gent. Bravo Mossy.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:01 am

Seriously good player who I enjoyed watching immensely. I hope by retiring from International Rugby we will see him in the Pro 12 for another couple of years thumbsup
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:04 am

What can you say? Legend. Loyal servant. Gave everything for his country. 22 tries. Two years without a missed kick. Scotland's player of the decade. We will miss him terribly.

My mother loves Chris more than me or my brother. Or my dad. She bought the special edition Scott's Porridge Oats with him on the box. She doesn't like porridge.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:07 am

Laugh Classic, Ian

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:18 am

IanBru wrote:

My mother loves Chris more than me or my brother. Or my dad. She bought the special edition Scott's Porridge Oats with him on the box. She doesn't like porridge.

My girlfriend did the same. Although I suspect she preferred the Thom Evans one better!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:24 am

Great professional and has been a credit to Scottish rugby. He's gotten a lot of well deserved praise for his amazing goal kicking stats in recent times but he was a very underrated player too.

To get >100 caps across wing, full back and fly half is a phenomenal achievement and shows what a talented player he is. Braveheart
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:29 am

Anywhere within 30 metres in front of the posts he was deadly.

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:30 am

Great player, and always loved to watch him. Seemed like a real genuine bloke too- he will be missed I think.

I will always remember that phenomenal tackle on Ben Foden during the 6N. He proved you don't have to be a physical monster to survive in today's modern game!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

haha that's a nice story Ian. Legendary player, a hard grafter, great tackler and very accurate kicker. He'll be missed, but this marks a new era in Scottish rugby, soon there'll be lots of new players getting regular game time which is exciting.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

Laugh spot on Safeasmilk Ok!

He was average at best, lets face it Scotland didn't have anyone else hence why he got 109 caps.

Parks is twice the player that Paterson was. Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement. 3602195817
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:34 am

Great guy, great player. Will be sad to see him go after years of service to the national team. Hopefully he will continue to contribute to the game in Scotland in some way or other.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:46 am

HERSH wrote: Laugh spot on Safeasmilk Ok!

He was average at best, lets face it Scotland didn't have anyone else hence why he got 109 caps.

Parks is twice the player that Paterson was. Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement. 3602195817

Please no one rise to this - lets try and keep the thread from being a petty argument with Hersh! OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:49 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Anywhere within 30 metres in front of the posts he was deadly.

Dim

HERSH wrote: Laugh spot on Safeasmilk Ok!

And Dimmer.

Give it a rest, lads, try and show a little respect pls

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:53 am

AsLongAsetc

My post was tongue-in-cheek, but it is kinda true.

Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:53 am

Hang on, Paterson never took long range kicks so safeasmilk was right kicks about 30m out straight infront was what he was good at.

Plus don't you rate Parks?

As for showing respect he hasn't passed on.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:54 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:AsLongAsetc

My post was tongue-in-cheek.
Glad to hear that, my apologies then

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:55 am

I think if we're going to praise players we need to accept their limitations too.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:56 am

HERSH wrote:Hang on, Paterson never took long range kicks so safeasmilk was right kicks about 30m out straight infront was what he was good at.

He never took long range (like Halfpenny, say), but he always took plenty long enough ones, the short range myth is just that. And no, I don't rate Parks very highly, even tho he has had the odd good game for Scotland

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:57 am

HERSH wrote:Hang on, Paterson never took long range kicks so safeasmilk was right kicks about 30m out straight infront was what he was good at.

HERSH - bit of exaduration there. Mossy's range was within the 10m line, from any side of the pitch. Yes he couldn't kick anything longer than that but to say he could only kick 30m straight in front of the posts shows a lack of knowledge.

And yes he hasn't died but this is a thread in homage to a great servant to Scottish rugby.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:00 am

So he was an average player then. Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement. 3602195817

Let's keep things in perspective, he wasn't in the same class as Wilko or Carter.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:03 am

HERSH wrote:So he was an average player then. Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement. 3602195817

Let's keep things in perspective, he wasn't in the same class as Wilko or Carter.

I'd say a success % in the high 80s / low 90s for any kick within the 10m line is better than average!

And remember he didn't miss a single kick for 2 years - 37 or something like that - now that is something special.

Yes he is no Dan Carter but does that make him any less of a great servant to the Scottish game?

We're not saying he's the best player ever to grace the game, just that he has been a great player, role model and person for Scotland for the last 10 years or so.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:03 am

A compltely brilliant player for Scotland, always gave his all on the pitch, his kicking was sublime.

Agree with others about some of his last ditch tackles - phenomenal!

A truly great player for Scotland imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

I think most players would settle for being average at international level, I'm not knocking him, but lets not make him out to be a Rugby God because he wasn't.

He was slightly above average on a good day.

Merry Xmas Scotland Fans Scotland's Chris Paterson has announced his international retirement. 3602195817
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:43 am

I would recommend watching the 100 caps video clip on the BBC Sports page - a very nice little tribute to a great servant to the game.

Many many thanks for some great memories CP.

clap

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed inflamatory sentence)

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:45 am

Good luck Chris, another player who I think won't be fully appreciated until he's no longer there
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 1:37 pm

Sad to see him go, but glad he didn't do a John Smit and play on long past his best. Imagine Paterson getting fat...

Looking back, my favourite Mosssy Moments.
.2006 - His sublime kicking performance in the Calcutta win.
. 2006 - His last minute penalty in Rome giving Scotland their first away win in the 6nations in ages.
2007 - The delight on his face as he kicked Scotland into the world cup quarters.
2008 - Outclassing Wilko at Murrayfield and helping Scotland to another Calcutta win Yahoo
2009 - Knocking over the match winning drop goal in the famous win over Australia
(2010 - Injury curtailed most of his 2010 season)
2011 - His fine try saving tackles in the 6 nations against England & Italy

I'm sure there are more highlights but I can barely see my keyboard through the haze of tears Sad Paterson you were a great servant of the game and Scotland's best player for the past 6/7 years. All the best Mossy

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 21 Dec 2011, 1:38 pm

Some big retirements lately from the home nations. A new era of players must now step up.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 21 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

Good on Chris for going out this way. Always liked to watch him play. Would have liked to clap him off in the 6N though. He's earned that.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 1:42 pm

Wish the SRU could have arranged a post world cup game at Murrayfield so we could have given the likes of Paterson and Hines a decent farewell from the International game.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Dec 2011, 1:51 pm

GLove39 wrote:Sad to see him go, but glad he didn't do a John Smit and play on long past his best. Imagine Paterson getting fat...

Looking back, my favourite Mosssy Moments.
.2006 - His sublime kicking performance in the Calcutta win.
. 2006 - His last minute penalty in Rome giving Scotland their first away win in the 6nations in ages.
2007 - The delight on his face as he kicked Scotland into the world cup quarters.
2008 - Outclassing Wilko at Murrayfield and helping Scotland to another Calcutta win Yahoo
2009 - Knocking over the match winning drop goal in the famous win over Australia
(2010 - Injury curtailed most of his 2010 season)
2011 - His fine try saving tackles in the 6 nations against England & Italy

I'm sure there are more highlights but I can barely see my keyboard through the haze of tears Sad Paterson you were a great servant of the game and Scotland's best player for the past 6/7 years. All the best Mossy

Some great memories - and I was there for a lot of them!

Just read the tributes on the SRU website Sad

It's a shame he's not getting a Shane Williams style send off but this is the 6N coming up and I'm sure he wouldn't want to be picked just for sentimental reasons.

On the other hand if he comes on at half time for a round of applause that would be amazing!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:03 pm

A man of true class. Retiring at this time is the best thing for him. I do hope we get a chance to show our appreciation at the 6n.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:10 pm

clap

well played paterson.

thumbsup
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 21 Dec 2011, 3:32 pm

More than any other player, Mossy was damned for his versatility.

Not many people get to play in five different positions for his country – 45 caps on one or other wing, 40 at full back, and 11 at stand-off as well as 13 replacement appearances. Amazing.

He will always be Scotland's 10 that never was and serves as a salutary lesson to players that unless you demand treatment as a specialist, you're at the mercy of the selectors. Damn you Hadden you tool.

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed inflamatory sentence)
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 21 Dec 2011, 3:33 pm

I have removed a number of comments from this thread that were devolving into bickering. Lets keep it at the banter level eh folks

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec 2011, 4:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:[This thread was honouring a great ambassador for Scottish rugby who has won us numerous games over the years
I like "numerous" is over-egging the pudding a bit. That's more of a comment about Scotland than Paterson though.

Good luck to the chap. A fine, upstanding fellow who is bowing out with grace Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Dec 2011, 4:09 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:[This thread was honouring a great ambassador for Scottish rugby who has won us numerous games over the years
I like "numerous" is over-egging the pudding a bit. That's more of a comment about Scotland than Paterson though.

Good luck to the chap. A fine, upstanding fellow who is bowing out with grace Very Happy

Ah you see us Scots can't score tries and, since he has been our kicker for years, he's obviously won us most of the games we have won! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 21 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

IMO he was unlucky not to get a Lions Cap
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 21 Dec 2011, 5:52 pm

Paterson would not have missed that drop kick at the end of the Argentina match...........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 5:59 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:

As it's mentioned Scotland as I know only to well fail to score tries. Paterson was often the difference for us when it came to winning.
The following games won by Paterson
Scotland 20 - France 16 (Paterson Kicks 10 points)
Scotland 18 - 12 England (Paterson kicks 15 points)
Italy 10 - 13 Scotland (Paterson scores 10 point including a try)

Scotland 21 - Wales 9 (Paterson kicks 7 perfect penalties)

RWC Scotland 18 - Italy 16 (Paterson kicks all of Scotland's points and put us into the quarters

Scotland 15 - 9 England (Paterson kicks 12 points)
Argentina 14 - 26 Scotland (Paterson kicks 16 points)

Scotland 9 - 8 Australia (Paterson kicks vital drop goal)

2010 - Injured at the start of the season and misses most games

RWC
Scotland 34 - Romania 24 (Paterson kicks vital 14 points which turn out to be the difference)

So as you can see, there's numerous games which have been won for Scotland by the 12 stone kicking beauty that is Chris Paterson

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 21 Dec 2011, 6:57 pm

Well done Mossy - a great player and a great guy. He will be missed but the right time to go. notworthy

PS Those Grade A *ank*rs on the BBC Rugby site cannot even get the photograph of Mossy correct - hint BBC gnobs - that is Lawson and De Luca at the foot of the article.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Dec 2011, 7:01 pm

If anyone is on Twitter #farewellmossy to try and get it trending!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 21 Dec 2011, 7:03 pm

Bring back Capt Picard.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 21 Dec 2011, 7:05 pm

Should have also said thanks Bath_ BTGOG - very gracious of you. Unlike some of your countrymen who show no class whatsoever. They are of course entirely consistent. tomato

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:11 pm

GLove39 wrote:So as you can see, there's numerous games which have been won for Scotland by the 12 stone kicking beauty that is Chris Paterson
I think me and you have different views on what "numerous" means. But, I'm not saying that as a pop against Paterson thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:31 pm

Paterson was a match winner. Comparisons with DC are ridiculous mostly because DC is in a different universe compared to both CP and JW....he can be compared with JW because both made their mark as kickers.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 22 Dec 2011, 7:34 am

Remarkably childlike, some of the posters here, who cannot allow one single thread celebrating the contribution of a terrific individual and a long time servant to the game without stopping to insist on a caveat or have a pop at the country or clubs he played for.

Nakedly, senselessly graceless and pathetic and demonstrative of a terrible inferiority. Would you find a single Scottish fan qualifying praise about Shane Williams or Alfie on their retirement? No, you wouldn't.

The great thing about The Mossy was that he was much liked and respected amongst fellow professionals even if he wasn't always on the winning side. Utter dedication and professionalism required to get kicking numbers like that and to ease your body through all of these years in the professional game. You've got to want it.

And that's why he will always be a fan favourite - he struck a cord based on the national mentality that there is no substitute for sheer effing hard work.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Appalling grammar.)
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next