The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shakib al Hasan - number 1 All Rounder Test&ODI

+4
msp83
Corporalhumblebucket
skyeman
KO-KING
8 posters

Go down

Shakib al Hasan - number 1 All Rounder Test&ODI Empty Shakib al Hasan - number 1 All Rounder Test&ODI

Post by KO-KING Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:27 am

Good achievment from a young player who comes from a side like Bangladesh, shame that he has to often fight alone to keep bangladesh alive in games.

'Shakib Al Hasan, the former Bangladesh captain, has become the No. 1 Test allrounder in the latest ICC rankings following his outstanding performance against Pakistan in Mirpur. Shakib's rise ended Jacques Kallis' lengthy hold on the position' - Kallis was number one for 10 years in test cricket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/story/546592.html

ICC Player Rankings
Test
Rating
1 Shakib Al Hasan BAN 404
2 J.H. Kallis SA 397
3 D.L. Vettori NZ 385
4 S.R. Watson AUS 379
5 S.C.J. Broad ENG 376
6 G.P. Swann ENG 255
7 T.T. Bresnan ENG 238
8 D.J.J. Bravo WI 206
9 D.W. Steyn SA 201
9 M.G. Johnson AUS 201

Odi

1 Shakib Al Hasan BAN 420
2 Moh. Hafeez PAK 407
3 S.R. Watson AUS 405
4 Shahid Afridi PAK 370
5 J.H. Kallis SA 352
6 ten Doeschate NED 301
7 D.L. Vettori NZ 298
8 J.D.P. Oram NZ 295
9 Yuvraj Singh IND 284
10 R.A. Jadeja IND 282

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Shakib al Hasan - number 1 All Rounder Test&ODI Empty Re: Shakib al Hasan - number 1 All Rounder Test&ODI

Post by skyeman Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:41 am

Fair play to Shakib, well done especially as you are in a struggling team. But it does rather show up the fact that there not many very good all-rounders in International cricket at the moment.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Shakib al Hasan - number 1 All Rounder Test&ODI Empty Re: Shakib al Hasan - number 1 All Rounder Test&ODI

Post by KO-KING Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:47 am

skyeman wrote:Fair play to Shakib, well done especially as you are in a struggling team. But it does rather show up the fact that there not many very good all-rounders in International cricket at the moment.

The guy averages about 35 with the bat and 30 with the ball, and in Odi's he is similar aswell, Hasan woould be up there in the All time All Rounder rankings

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:18 am

KO-KING wrote:
skyeman wrote:Fair play to Shakib, well done especially as you are in a struggling team. But it does rather show up the fact that there not many very good all-rounders in International cricket at the moment.

The guy averages about 35 with the bat and 30 with the ball, and in Odi's he is similar aswell, Hasan woould be up there in the All time All Rounder rankings

Oh that is pushing it. He has only played 29 Test matches, and batting against the top teams Eng 25.25, India 21.00 and SA 15.12 then his bowling 36.94, 42.55 and 29.25 respectively. Quite rubbish in fact.

And not much better in ODI's against the top teams.

I would not even have him in the top 50 of all time all-rounders.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:57 am

Interesting that Swann is 6th in the list of test all rounders and yet in his last 25 innings he hasn't made a half century....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:05 am

Rubbish is not something I'd say about Shakib, against any side. He is a pretty all-rounder, and is young and developing.
The more he plays test matches, he would improve.
Not close to being an alltime great as of now, but has the potential to become one.
Aravinda and Arjuna, when they started out for Lanka were promissing cricketers with average numbers, but we all know what they achieved by the end of their career.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:10 am

msp83 wrote:Rubbish is not something I'd say about Shakib, against any side. He is a pretty all-rounder, and is young and developing.
Not close to being an alltime great as of now, but has the potential to become one.
Aravinda and Arjuna, when they started out for Lanka were promissing cricketers with average numbers, but we all know what they achieved by the end of their career.

Agreed, rubbish, against the top teams was a bit harsh. I should have said not very good.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:05 am

shakib isnt rubbish however there is no way that he is the best all rounder in world cricket. its a good achievement considering the side he is playing in, however i would say Kallis is better.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:39 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:shakib isnt rubbish however there is no way that he is the best all rounder in world cricket. its a good achievement considering the side he is playing in, however i would say Kallis is better.

A few months ago I'd have agreed , but Kallis hasn't looked the same with the ball lately ... I think his days as a true all rounder are limited (and fair enough too ! - he put a fair bit into his bowling and he isn't getting any younger)

The figures aren't everything but I think we can accept that Shakib is there on merit - many on that list are not really all rounders at all , just bowlers who can bat a bit...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:10 pm

As of now, Shakib is a better bowler than Kallis is.
He's their best bowler, and is one of Bangladesh's best with the bat as well.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Had a fantastic half-season with Worcs when we were in Div 2. Very good bowler, probably a better bowler than batsman.

Good to see him doing well, would love to get him back for the first half of the season.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:18 am

i would say in one day cricket, watson is a better all rounder IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:28 am

cricketfan90 wrote:i would say in one day cricket, watson is a better all rounder IMO.
For me, Watson is a far better bat, while Shakib is the better one with the ball in hand.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:32 am

If you look at Watson's and Shakib's test batting averages, there hardly is a difference of 4 runs.
What I mean to say is that Shakib is often not appreciated for being the fine all-round cricketer that he is.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:05 am

Shakib has had a fantastic year - hence why I included him in my test XI of 2011 - and is a cracking player.

He is underestimated because he plays for a poor team (when actually there is more pressure on him), because he is a slow bowler and perhaps because he is short. Yes I know that last one sounds dumb - especially bearing in mind the statures of some of the greatest batsmen of all time, but I feel people have been pre-programmed to expect their all-rounders to be big rollicking players who bowl quick and give the ball a whack. Shakib is the opposite of this, but in a good team he would be a real star of teh game.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:38 am

msp83 wrote:If you look at Watson's and Shakib's test batting averages, there hardly is a difference of 4 runs.
What I mean to say is that Shakib is often not appreciated for being the fine all-round cricketer that he is.

probably because of the country where he comes from. Overall poor performances hide his good performances.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:25 am

skyeman wrote:
msp83 wrote:Rubbish is not something I'd say about Shakib, against any side. He is a pretty all-rounder, and is young and developing.

Agreed, rubbish, against the top teams was a bit harsh. I should have said not very good.

He is very good against teams like Pakistan, Sri Lanka (when they had a stronger team), also very good against NZ.

I wasn't saying he is up there with the greatest all rounders of all time, I meant to say for his Age compared with other All Rounders at the age of 24

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down