The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double Headers

4 posters

Go down

Double Headers Empty Double Headers

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:04 pm

I posted this on the old boards and thought I would re do the wheel so to speak.

With the Quins Sarries game topping 80,000 at Twickenham and on going problems with Regional attendances I have often wondered if our own double header at the strat of the season would work?

I have been lucky enough to go to the London double headers and the St Georges day games they have had and the atmosphere of the whole day has been great.

WOuld the Regions and WRU even consider it? How about our Xmas derbies running as a double header at the MS or even trying to schedule them around nearest saturday to St Davids Day.

I know the 'home' Region would lose home advantage so to speak but the marketing and increased gate share could compensate, likewise St Davis Day is during 6 Nations so all Regions would be without big stars but it would give the youngsters chance to play at the MS and maybe aspire to getting to the top etc.

Would it work?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Double Headers Empty Re: Double Headers

Post by Guest Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:11 pm

I've wondered why it hasn't happened before, especially for the Christmas derbies. As for "home advantage" you could also do it on a rotational basis. Not that difficult to do when there are only four regions.

Given that a lot of folk are still undecided about the regions it gives them a chance to see them all in action on the same day and maybe foster some support from those who are still unconvinced or making their mind up. Big occasions like these can often have a significant impact on young fans who, if they see a great performance by a region or a player, may attach themselves to one region or another after having a great day out.

I think it's a good idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:16 pm

Safe,

Couldn't agree more, the Blues attracted nearly 50,000 for the HC semi a few seasons back and a lot of those were casual supporters.

I like the sound of the St Davids Day timing but I do wonder how much the top names being away would influence people going, but if it was marketed properly and priced accordingly it could be great day of rugby and celebration of Wales etc etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 29 Dec 2011, 7:41 am

There are 12 inter regional matches in the R12, and the crowds this week show that people will turn out for these derbies. So to try and develop teh regions and celebrate Welsh rugby I woul dhave two double headers each year.

The first could be the season opener and teh second in the spring. st David's day sounds good - but losing the big names could have a big impact. With two double headers each region loses 1 home match - but in a good cause. The christmas/New Year derbies can still be played and each team will have one other home fixture against a region.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 29 Dec 2011, 7:58 am

Bedford - I'm not sure how it would work in Wales in terms of which regions would produce the best derbies but in Scotland they already do the double header as Glasgow and Edinburgh play back to back in successive weeks every new year for the 1872 Cup.

The crowd at Murrayfield for this last week was 13,240.

In Scottish terms, that's the equivalent of, oooh, 80,000.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:37 am

Thats the thing George...

Traditionally Scarlets and Ospreys, formally Llanelli and Swansea were local rivals as were Blues and Dragons, formally Cardiff and Newport.

So we have the historical rivalries there. Though I fancy that the Blues get a bigger crowd when the play Scarlets or Ospreys than when they play Dragons, who despite contributing several Welsh players, 2/3rds of the backrow, they are still seen as the weaker of the Regions buy all the others. It is not as though they dont pull off some good wins in the Derbies though.

You also have to look at the economics of the area though, South Wales is nowhere near as prosperous as South London. I am not sure how much tickets for Twickenham last weekend were but if they were £20 that would work in london but not in Wales. if the Tickets were £5-£10 then the Millenium would be full to the rafters.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:14 pm

I though it was £10 for adults and £5 for kids at Twickenham.

Do the same at the MS and surely you could fill it?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down