The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011 Comes to a Close

3 posters

Go down

2011 Comes to a Close Empty 2011 Comes to a Close

Post by d260005p Thu 29 Dec 2011, 2:56 pm

Afternoon Fight Fans.

Just a quick end of year discussion I thought id post on here before the end of the calendar year.

The subject is the following:

* Your favourite fighter this year and why
* Your fight of the year candidate
* Biggest upset of the year
* Most memorable moment

My picks would be Juan Manual Marquez for my fighter of the year. He proved he still has it after the Pacman fight. Always involved in a classic scrap.

My fight of the year would probably be Murray vs Mitchell. Absolute barnstormer.

Upset of the year would have to be Khan losing against Peterson ever so recently.

Memorable moment would be when Mayweather punched Ortiz and knocked him out behind the Ref.

Thoughts please.................

d260005p

Back to top Go down

2011 Comes to a Close Empty Re: 2011 Comes to a Close

Post by Guest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

No fav fighter as such but I was impressed with Marquez for the way he "beat" Manny.

Fight of the year - Morales v Maidana

Upset of the year was Haye's non-performance against Wlad (the result wasn't an upset but I was upset that I'd left the house to go watch it)

My memorable moment would be Hopkins doing push-ups against Pascal

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:11 pm

Morales for becoming Mexico's first ever 4 weight world champion (Put an asterix next to that if you fancy) and for proving everyone wrong in the Maidana fight, showing he truly has something left, or at least did that night.

FOTY - Marquez / Concepcion incredible fight, the rematch was a bit of a let down in the fact that is was a straight blowout.

Upset of the year - Realistically looking at it from when the fight was first made Fury/Chisora. Though the odds did change when Chisora came in answering the question to who ate all the pies.

Memorable moments have been Mayweather KOing Ortiz, Haye dramatically breaking his little toe and Bob Arum making it through another year.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:47 pm

haha good one with Hopkins Push ups and the Haye broken Toe scenario peeps.

Marquez/Concepion was a corker.

Another one for me would have been Prescott vs Alvarado or whatever his name was. Was a fun fight to watch

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Thu 29 Dec 2011, 4:45 pm

Fave Fighter - Saul Alvarez....... ok he is still young, can be accused of cherry picking a little, and was gifted a title at the start of the year against Hatton.... but has stayed busy, continued to show great improvement, and stepped up the competition gradually.

Honorable mention - Jorge Arce

Fight of the Year - Delvin Rodriguez v Pawel Wolak.... the creepy swelling will never lose its gag factor.

Honorable mention - Murray v Mitchell

Biggest Upset of the Year - Salido v Juan Lopez..... didn't see the fight so just checked result next morning and although I thought Lopez was an accident waiting to happen I still was that shocked I had to refresh my browser just to make sure it wasnt mistaken.

Honorable mention - Ishida v Kirkland

Most Memorable Moment - De Gale's premature celebration at end of Groves fight..... made all the more memorable by Booth's subtle hand gesture.

Honorable mention - Floyd getting told by an 80 year old he would love to knock him out.

Last edited by alanqlm on Thu 29 Dec 2011, 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 29 Dec 2011, 4:47 pm

Degale celebrating when he heard still undefeated was pretty hilarious.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down