The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic mauling Federer to start the season

+14
banbrotam
laverfan
viv.theraiden
Josiah Maiestas
hawkeye
bogbrush
Calder106
luciusmann
break_in_the_fifth
sirfredperry
amritia3ee
JuliusHMarx
djlovesyou
Simple_Analyst
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Djokovic mauling Federer to start the season Empty Djokovic mauling Federer to start the season

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 30 Dec 2011, 11:51 am

As i write, World No.1 Novak Djokovic is busily mauling Federer in the desert of Abu Dhabi. The season has started unofficially. Although this is an exhibition match, with a $250000 winner take all prize, there is motivation to play but Federer seems to have no answers to Djokovic. Exhibition or not, Federer should be attempting to stamp his authority on Djokovic after the New York trauma but not looking likely, he is about to get a bagel here. Has to be worrying as the challenger many people have to beat Djokovic in 2012 is Federer. Count this match and he would now have lost 5 of their last 6 matches in 2011 as well. Heading into the Australian Open, Djokovic has his one hand on the trophy already.

Last edited by Simple_Analyst on Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Djokovic mauling Federer to start the season Empty Re: Djokovic mauling Federer to start the season

Post by djlovesyou Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:00 pm

Bearing in mind that some segments of the tennis supporting world regard the WTF as a 'meaningless exhibition' and that not a lot should be read into the results. I would imagine results in Abu Dhabi should be worried about even less then?

But that's not the way it works, is it?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Djokovic mauling Federer to start the season Empty Re: Djokovic mauling Federer to start the season

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

WTF is an end of the season show piece event where players are looking to rest and not playing tennis. Certainly shouldn't read much into results and we have seen that from the past. Abu Dhabi is a start to the season and players are likely to show their intent for the season; Djokovic doing so with an easy straight set victory today. He is not playing any other match before the AO begins so i guess why he played this match like a slam match.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:15 pm

There is no doubt amonst both players and knowledgeable fans that the Abu Dhabi exhibition event is of much greater importance and prestige than the WTF.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:18 pm

WTF is more important than Abu Dhabi.
However by WTF most top players come in injured/knackered so sometimes its just a case of last man standing.

Very very disappointed with Federer's performance today. Not good at all, I watched the match.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:22 pm

Julius where did i imply Abu Dhabi is of greater importance than the show piece event, WTF. The WTF give bigger prize money and ranking point, essentially a money spinning tournament with hype but hardly indicates a players form in the new season.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:29 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:Julius where did i imply Abu Dhabi is of greater importance than the show piece event, WTF.

Simple_Analyst wrote:WTF is an end of the season show piece event where players are looking to rest and not playing tennis.

Simple_Analyst wrote:Abu Dhabi is a start to the season and players are likely to show their intent for the season.

There is an implication that players take Abu Dhabi more seriously i.e. regard it as more important.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm

Well I'm sure that when 2012 is finished everyone will be talking about an exhibition match in Abu Dhabi in December 2011. As for the O2, "exhibition" or not, you still get 1,500 more points for it than you do in some Middle East friendly.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:56 pm

Djokovic made a meaningless exhibition out of Federer.

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:00 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:As i write, World No.1 Novak Djokovic is busily mauling Federer in the desert of Abu Dhabi. The season has started unofficially. Although this is an exhibition match, with a $250000 winner take all prize, there is motivation to play but Federer seems to have no answers to Djokovic. Exhibition or not, Federer should be attempting to stamp his authority on Djokovic after the New York trauma but not looking likely, he is about to get a bagel here. Has to be worrying as the challenger many people have to beat Djokovic in 2012 is Federer. Count this match and he would now have lost 5 of their last 6 matches in 2011 as well. Heading into the Australian Open, Djokovic has his one hand on the trophy already.

One hand on the trophy already? Are you seriously suggesting that Federer is the only one who could stop him at the Australian open?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:09 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:

One hand on the trophy already? Are you seriously suggesting that Federer is the only one who could stop him at the Australian open?
No, then he would have two hands on the trophy.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:13 pm

amritia3ee wrote:
break_in_the_fifth wrote:

No, then he would have two hands on the trophy.

Hmm well I'd still say accounting for Fed as half of Novak's potential obstacles is pretty generous especially if you could say the other half would be down to Novak himself.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:16 pm

OK, Djokovic has one of his fingers on the trophy.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:18 pm

I was just surprised at how much credit S_A was giving to Federer. Perhaps he does consider him to be greater than he's been letting on.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:19 pm

Lol. Anyway many people have Federer as his main challenger and seeing what he is to him, is a worry for every one else.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:21 pm

But perhaps the most important period of the season is not actually between FO and Wimbledon, but is in fact 30th December 2011, for Djokovic at least.

That would perhaps explain why he won so easily.

He might not be as motivated for the less important challenges to come.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:46 pm

This is an amusing thread, was it meant seriously? $250, 000 somehow means the exhibition match is somehow more serious than the WTF, which dishes out 1, 500 points and $1.5 million for the winner? The stuff of fantasy. If you want to be taken serious you shouldn't try to make an insignificant exhibition match which awards pocket change to someone like Federer out to be of serious significance. Perhaps $250, 000 means more to Djokovic hence why he was willing to play hard to win the match but why would that be motivation to Federer? The guy must have earned well over $100 million in prize money and endorsements by now.

I'm amazed at the excuses some Nadal fans make for poor performances @ the WTF. Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that it's one of the major tournaments Nadal hasn't won. Lame excuses to be fair, if Federer could win the Australian Open 4 times @ the beginning of the season and then @ the end of it win the WTF then there's no excuses why other top players can't do it too.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:00 pm

Luciusmann you seem to be under the impression Djokovic is desperate for the $250000. He made $12 million last season so what is your point here. This is a winner take all event, i don't know about the appearance fee but why fly to Abu Dhabi if you will turn up like you just woke up from bed against your rival? The WTF losses have a point. Players are tired, knackered and sometimes disinterested. Add DC finals to it and you have a half hearted display. They give out 1500 and big money to add to the hype. Push it earlier into the season and Nadal, Djokovic, Murray will give better displays.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:01 pm

luciusmann. Don't see any mention of Nadal in this thread. But you seem to be making excuses for Fed's defeat.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:05 pm

Making excuses for an exhibition match? Or put it another way, easy to argue your putting too much emphasis on an rather insignificant exhibition match which carries zero points. It's not me who's awarding it zero points, that's the ATP. If you have an issue with the lack of points, of lack of recognition, take it up with them.

It's predominantly Nadal fans on this thread rubbishing the WTFs on this thread, no one else. The fact you don't see the subtle attacks is beyond me!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:15 pm

Seemed like he was up for it before the match.

http://www.crunchsports.com/category/Tennis/Roger-Federer-wants-perfect-start-to-2012-with-Abu-Dhabi-title-201112280043/

Look I know its an exhibition tournament with no ranking points but your not seriously telling me that Federer didn't care whether or not whether he won against Djokovic.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:16 pm

He wanted to win but he was outplayed.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:16 pm

Just like Nadal is getting outplayed by Ferrer.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:19 pm

I agree.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:21 pm

Come on calder106, when do top tennis players say anything other than that they want to win the title? If you're going to read much into what they say @ least make it after they exit a tournament, when actual raw emotion might be felt instead of what they're been prep'ed/trained to say before/during tournaments.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:27 pm

So you give one of your main rivals the psychological boost of a 6-1 6-2 victory. Not a good idea in my mind.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:29 pm

Or indeed give the 29 year old #5 a morale boosting stroll to a 3 & 2 win?

I suppose this event has become meaningless again. Laugh Laugh

Last edited by bogbrush on Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

No it hasn't.
Nadal lost to David Ferrer.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:33 pm

Yeah, it's really crucial. Rolling Eyes

Been away a few days having a life. Think I'll have another dose.

Ta Ta.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:33 pm

Best player won easily in both matches. No excuses for the losers. That's what tennis is about.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:33 pm

The same opponent who Federer was 2 match points away from beating @ the USO and who Federer actually did defeat @ the French Open, the only player to do so last year in a grand slam match.

Most of the grand slam matches Djokovic and Federer play against each other are very close, that was true last year and I doubt that will change this year. If you think a best of 3 exhibition match is going to give Djokovic some sort of psychological boost, then Federer can't be that mentally resilent (if he's unable to weather it), which would be more concerning to me as a fan...

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:39 pm

What is Djokovic getting a psychological boost have anything to do with Federer. He can't read Federer's mind.

Anyway Nadal vs Fed tomorrow. Both played excessively Poopie today.

Last edited by amritia3ee on Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:44 pm

I think it will. Remember since USO Djokovic has been struggling. Federer has been on song. A win for Federer today would have given him a great boost in that he was still in top form and had the beating of Djokovic. It would also have put doubts in Djokovic's mind befoe AO as he is not playing again until then.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:52 pm

Calder106 wrote:I think it will. Remember since USO Djokovic has been struggling. Federer has been on song. A win for Federer today would have given him a great boost in that he was still in top form and had the beating of Djokovic. It would also have put doubts in Djokovic's mind befoe AO as he is not playing again until then.
Exactly!
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

The only conclusion I could make from the bits of the matches I saw was that Djokovic was in full serious match mode.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 30 Dec 2011, 3:11 pm

I'd agree with you calder106 if it wasn't for the fact that this was an exhibition match for zero ranking points and just a cheque of $250, 000 (pocket change to someone like Federer).

You can draw many, many conclusions from matches, including exhibition matches and about the mental impact they can have on a player, but to be fair, it's over analysis gone too far. Example: when Federer went into the French Open match against Djokovic last year, he had lost both of his previous grand slam semi final matches to Djokovic, not to mention a few more in other tournaments, did it stop Federer from winning? No. Did it play on his mind? Perhaps it did? Going on your logic, it probably did...but did it stop anything but a Fed win? Nope. Enough said.

Likewise, did Djokovic's lose to Federer in that match stop Djokovic from beating Fed in USO semi final? No. I think you're short changing the mental toughness of our top tennis players to be fair when really they should be given more credit.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 30 Dec 2011, 3:18 pm

It counts for jack sh*t.
Just a shame Djokovic thought this would actually count in the H2h when in reality it was a training session with no relevance.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 30 Dec 2011, 3:44 pm

There is a big mental aspect in tennis alongside the talent and fitness aspects. Fed himself acknowledged this himself after the WTF finals when refering to the time out he took during the Asian swing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/8919870/Roger-Federer-I-have-overcome-mental-demons-after-win-in-final-of-ATP-World-Tour-Finals-over-Jo-Wilfried-Tsonga.html

Very honest IMO but to me it shows that confidence plays a major part having a winning mentality. I know this is just an exhibition tournament with no ranking points but will be interested in seeing how this translates at AO time if they meet each other.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by viv.theraiden Fri 30 Dec 2011, 3:55 pm

Wow amazed at the knowledge of the some of the posters here.

viv.theraiden

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Fri 30 Dec 2011, 4:16 pm

viv.theraiden wrote:Wow amazed at the knowledge of the some of the posters here.
It is quite amazing I admit.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Fri 30 Dec 2011, 4:18 pm

viv.theraiden wrote:Wow amazed at the knowledge of the some of the posters here.
If you think this article is insane then you would probably collapse after you read my in-depth match by match fair analysis of 2006 vs 2011.
https://www.606v2.com/t20972-the-truth-2006vs2011
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 30 Dec 2011, 4:18 pm

I wouldn't argue that the mental aspect plays anything other than a big part in tennis but you're elevating a win in an exhibition match (which not only carries no ranking points but as Josiah points out doesn't even count in the H2H) as somehow having some sort of mental impact, which I find highly dubious. You think an accomplished professional player like Federer wouldn't be aware of the fact this match has zero impact on anything?

I've provided a number of examples from both of the players concerned showing these match losses (which btw were actually matches which count) are overcome. There's no doubt this match will have next to no significance, mentally or otherwise when you think Federer has actually had a real tough loss @ the USO 3 1/2 months ago and bounced back and the fact you're dwelling on an exhibition loss just shows there really isn't much tennis to be discussed at the moment!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by viv.theraiden Fri 30 Dec 2011, 4:21 pm

ATP gives a shiit to these matches and doesnt even bother to discuss the results in their official pages, so no idea why fans take it seriously.

No idea whats gonna happen in Fedal match if both are not interested to play.

viv.theraiden

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 30 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

viv.theraiden wrote:ATP gives a shiit to these matches and doesnt even bother to discuss the results in their official pages, so no idea why fans take it seriously.

No idea whats gonna happen in Fedal match if both are not interested to play.

They matter hugely to people who know all about the mental side of top level professional play and who spend their lives on fan sites.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 30 Dec 2011, 4:43 pm

Fed was clearly more happy than Nadal after todays practise session, GOAT continues gathering momentum.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 30 Dec 2011, 4:45 pm

Tomorrow Federer will do more of the same and allow Nadal some confidence while not really playing any killer shots. Exhib's are the only chance for Nadal to beat Fed on HC these days.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 30 Dec 2011, 4:52 pm

I agree Josiah, Miami 2011 was actually 5 years ago.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Fri 30 Dec 2011, 4:57 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Tomorrow Federer will do more of the same and allow Nadal some confidence while not really playing any killer shots. Exhib's are the only chance for Nadal to beat Fed on HC these days.
Apart from Miami 2005 Nadal has won every single outdoor hardcourt match they have played.
You my friend, are a genius.

Edit: Actually no Josiah has a point. It's pretty clear that Federer lets Nadal win all the unimportant matches but just steps it up and thrashes him when it comes to Grand Slam finals.
Oh wait a sec...

Last edited by amritia3ee on Fri 30 Dec 2011, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 30 Dec 2011, 5:22 pm

Djokovic-Federer ------> Nadal-Federer.... OK

Round the mulberry bush and all that. Laugh Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 30 Dec 2011, 5:24 pm

This has progressed from being how these exhibitions matches are rather insignificant to a Fedal bashing session....jeee....just typical!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next