The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best rugby pubs in Cardiff?

+5
maestegmafia
munkian
bedfordwelsh
EnglishReign
peachbomb
9 posters

Go down

Best rugby pubs in Cardiff? Empty Best rugby pubs in Cardiff?

Post by peachbomb Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:22 am

Happy New Year everyone! Hi, was wondering if anyone could recommend some pubs in Cardiff with great banter and atmosphere for a group of girls travelling down from Edinburgh for Scotland v Wales next month as we've never been before?? Thanks kiss

peachbomb

Back to top Go down

Best rugby pubs in Cardiff? Empty Re: Best rugby pubs in Cardiff?

Post by EnglishReign Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:30 am

The Wetherspoons pubs are generally the best shout, I reckon. Prince of Wales by the train station is always good, but The Gatekeeper right next to the stadium is always buzzing too. I'd advise getting in fairly early because, as I'm sure you understand, it gets bloody busy!

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:13 am

The Owain is always good little bit of main drag and generally just rugby fans in there.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:20 am

I always like the goat major , small but big selection of Brains and cheap too
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:11 am

I agree the goat major is a great pub... Often go there pre match, quite often post match too. Sometimes when there's no match at all.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Tryin Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:46 am

No no no.....Try the Old Arcade, a rugby pub with lots of history there will be queues but with the wait, if your finding places a bit small and cramped there's always the Revolution Vodka Bar opposite the castle which I've never had a problem getting into on international days and have always had a great time in, the wetherspoons pubs are a bit rough for internationals due to the cheap beer and not recommended for first timers looking for a memorable weekend. Enjoy!

Dai Tryin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:22 am

Go on a pub crawl try them all. I have no doubt you will have a fantastic time.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:35 am

Goat Major is a great old pub. Some pretty dodgy characters though! Old Arcade is another 'old man's pub' and worth a shout.

Also the Owain, Dempseys (watched some great Wales v England games in there in the early 2000s) City Arms (usually a bit rammed though). I quite often used to stay in Roath and go to The Albany.

It's been a couple of years since I lived there though.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:55 am

PEACH - have a look at these KAIRDIP PUBS

Will check out the opening times for match day (with the game being on a Sunday)

Best 'rugby' pubs would be the CITY ARMS and the OLD ARCADE.

Not technically a pub, but this 'bar' may be good for a group of young lassies -
REVOLUTION
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:18 am

peachbomb When you get to Cardiff you will find that you wont be wasting time looking for these pubs you will just be doing your own thing due to the brilliant atmosphere generated during a rugby weekend.
The stadium is just a short walk from the city center on the way there and on the way back you will literally be tripping over pubs.
Recommending pubs is always difficult due to the fact we all have our own tastes and what was good last year could be totally different this year due to the fact that the pub/club has simply changed brewery or management.
This is going to be your first visit to Cardiff and my suggestion would be that you find out for yourself what pubs appeal to you one thing for sure though I can guarantee you that it wont be your last visit.
Cardiff Millennium Stadium is one of the best sporting venues in the UK due to it's close proximity to the city center and all the amenities a vibrant city like Cardiff has to offer.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:30 am

Yeah, Cardiff is an incredibly compact city centre and you will pass about 50 pubs within 5 minutes of leaving the train station and heading down St Mary's street.

The truth is, pretty much every pub/bar becomes a rugby pub on match day, although some people have mentioned a couple of hardcore rugby orientated places. I suggested the two Spoons pubs because of their size, location, familiarity and atmosphere (that I've experienced). Places like Vodka Revs will be more expensive but perhaps attract a crowd you would prefer, although you will get a good range of people wherever you go!

As Cymro suggests, just have a walk around, get a feel for it and see where you end up! There really isn't a right or wrong answer. Happy hunting!

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by peachbomb Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks guys! Really looking forward to it Bubbly

peachbomb

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:05 am

If you want to go to a 'proper' rugby pub so to speak then I would suggest venturing off St Marys Street a bit.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:08 am

Queens Vaults is a pretty good rugby pub, really all the ones of Westgate Street are, you can't really go wrong anywhere!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:09 am

rugbydreamer wrote:Queens Vaults is a pretty good rugby pub, really all the ones of Westgate Street are, you can't really go wrong anywhere!
I'd forgotten about that one! Has it still got the pool table(s)? Used to go down there quite a bit when I live in the 'diff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:15 am

Yeah they do, but they move them for the big rugby days so there's room to stand in front of the big screen. You can also buy 2 pints in one there (the plastic glasses are huge!).

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:26 am

Goat Major is great but tiny and Prince of Wales is massive but usually a lively atmosphere
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down