The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Madden 12

+5
Sam_Bradford_8
crazy_dave23
CFCNick
cherriesfna
sodhat
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Madden 12 Empty Madden 12

Post by sodhat Wed 04 Jan 2012, 9:37 am

Hey guys, I don't post in this section too often (generally lurking...), but I'd like some of your feedback and tips for Madden 12.

I got this game over Christmas and basically haven't stopped playing it. It was the first I'd had since 2009 and I thought it was excellent.

But one thing that was bothering me, and still is, is the difficulty of passing the ball. The defense swarms all over my receivers taking them out of the game, and then any time I have someone open it seems to be overthrown or picked off by some marauding safety/corner/linebacker.

I play on all-pro at the moment, but I get the feeling I need to bump down to pro to work on my passing. Defense and rushing is pretty good, and I don't really have issues with them, it's just my poor QB has just about the worst stats in the league each year...

I'm on a franchise with the Raiders at the moment and I won the superbowl in the first year on pro difficulty, but since going all-pro have gone 6-10 in back to back years, with barely any passing TD's. If Darren McFadden goes down I think I'm stuffed.

Is anyone else finding these problems, or is it just me? Are there any tips you have to improve my passing game?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Madden 12 Empty Re: Madden 12

Post by cherriesfna Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:01 am

what are you doing when passing, short or deep?
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:06 am

I tend to mix it up, but increasingly I'm going shorter to my tight end or to the backs in a shotgun. Quicker shorter passes seem to be more effective, but even then I struggle to get first downs from them with any regularity.

I gave up on throwing passes to the middle of the field...it was as if my QB was aiming for the defense!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:13 am

try slants, when passing do you try and force it and what is the state of your WR core?
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:31 am

I have one 90 WR and the rest are around 73-76

I have noticed that I get picked off far more if I throw bullets so I'm trying to not hold down the buttons for too long, but even then I find they get batted away or more annoyingly, dropped!

I think I need to work on timing too, I get a lot of overthrows or passes nowhere near receivers and timing must be a factor somewhere. I just haven't worked it out yet..

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:33 am

who is the 90 rated guy?
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:36 am

His name is Ravonne Reese, and he was a rookie I picked up in the 3rd year draft. Due to my 6-10 season I ended up with third pick and I had scouted him because of my lack of depth with my WR's

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:37 am

what his hight and speed?
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:42 am

Don't remember exactly, but I think he is around 6"2 and speed is pretty good, about 93?

He is a good WR but I'm damned if I can hit him with anything. His catching is perhaps his weakest area too, if he takes a hit the ball often pops out

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:50 am

who your QB
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:54 am

He's another rookie I picked in the draft, in his second season, called Luke Pommerer (out of Miami I believe). He's got solid ratings on short/medium throws and scrambling, as well as throwing on the run, which is vital for me! Think his overall is 83 now.

I did have Carson Palmer in season 1, then Ryan Fitzpatrick for season 2. But neither of those made any impact either.

How are you finding the game? Who do you play as?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:59 am

im planning to start a franchise simutainusly with a mate on friday after the last rating changes for seattle.(him phins)
got adequite areas all of the field QB is biggest worry and will probably be drafting one 1st round
Ground and pound mostly with lynch,
i play on custom difficulty inbetween all-pro and all-madden.
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:06 am

Ah man, there is no way I could go any higher than all-pro! I'm still weighing up whether to stick with it and take the beatings and learn from them or go down to pro and win games again! I'm pretty stuck in the middle because even I find pro a bit too easy, but all-pro a bit too hard.

I need to ground and pound more, it's the only way we're effective and I have a pretty decent run offense.

Have you played franchise before? If not, the scouting mode will really help you identify the best QB to draft. In the offseason you can unlock all their ratings and pick exactly what suits your team!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:08 am

ive simmed it but not played it
got 3 and a half seasonas on 15 mins quarterds done on madden 11 inclueding 2 superbowl wins Very Happy
dont know wether to go exclusivly with lynch or give forsett and leon some carries
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:11 am

g2g now be back some time this afternoon
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:18 am

I tended to go solely with McFadden and used my FB and back up RB in the 4th if I had it won. Injuries are pretty frequent on franchise I found, so I had to be pretty confident in my back ups in all areas.

Think I might up the quarter time too, at the moment it goes pretty fast because I run the ball so much!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:48 am

Are you trying to use the left thumb stick to aim your passes? I've found it helps because you can go over the top (up), underneath (bottom), or move the stick left or right to choose what side of your WR and the DB is on. Ideally you want to throw it where so if the DB gets there first it's most likely to be knocked down rather than intercepted.

Another thing I found helps me out is moving in the pocket before throwing because it's all very well having someone wide open but you still have to create a path through the defenders to thread the ball through needle.

What I've learned with overthrows is if you have your WR open but a defender is about 5 yards behind chasing him it's best to just tap the WRs button and it'll rainbow over the top and into his path.

Also, once the ball is airbourne are you pressing B/circle to control the WR and pressing Y/triangle to make him put his arms out for a catch?

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:59 am

No, I rarely take control of receivers because I find I have a higher percentage of muffed catches or I spoil the route. I only really try user catches on defense when I think I can take it the other way.

I hadn't been using the stick to aim, no, but that's a very useful tip. I often find passes that need a bit more finesse are bulleted straight at the defense, and I need to aim them away and maybe take my finger off the button a bit quicker! I move quite a lot in the pocket (and quite often outside of it) because I'm paranoid about the pass rushers! I think often my interceptions are down to poor choices and trying to force plays that aren't really there.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:42 pm

sodhat wrote:No, I rarely take control of receivers because I find I have a higher percentage of muffed catches or I spoil the route. I only really try user catches on defense when I think I can take it the other way.

I hadn't been using the stick to aim, no, but that's a very useful tip. I often find passes that need a bit more finesse are bulleted straight at the defense, and I need to aim them away and maybe take my finger off the button a bit quicker! I move quite a lot in the pocket (and quite often outside of it) because I'm paranoid about the pass rushers! I think often my interceptions are down to poor choices and trying to force plays that aren't really there.

I used to throw a lot of picks by panicking about pass rushers lol

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed 04 Jan 2012, 6:55 pm

I initially found it mighty frustrating to throw the ball. I think there was one game I played as an exhibition with Jason Campbell & the Raiders against someone like Denver where I could barely complete a pass (on all-pro), although I had previously played a very solid game with Rodgers so the relevant skill levels of the QBs played a part (which I like).

I have since improved a fair bit playing a franchise with Houston (figured the pack were already too good!) on something between all-pro and all-madden, probably close to the first and whilst my completion percentage is a little low (55% on the season say) I can move the ball if required, but by no means always.

As said above, slants can be pretty good, but mostly wont go for long gains unless you can hang about in the pocket a fair while for them to cross over to the other side of the field past any zones.
My key read on every play (particularly slants over the middle) is if the MLB(s) are in a zone over the middle of the field. I've generally noticed that's how all my INTs are caused so i'm very very careful throwing in that way.
On hooks don't bother throwing if the DB plays the receiver tight as they will just jump route 7 times out of 10... only really works if you hit it the moment the receiver makes his turn.

Deep balls remain pretty tough on this game. If the CPU is playing 2 deep safeties pre-snap it just doesn't seem to work. You need to wait until they have at least one showing the blitz and then have your target WR as the only guy going deep, with someone else on a mid level route in the hope the remaining safety goes after someone underneath and your left man on man with the DB outside. Even then its less than 50/50 with someone like Dre' Johnson!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:18 am

I picked up 2 wins out of 3 last night, so thanks for the tips guys. Who knows, maybe I can have a winning record this season...

Aiming short passes lower has certainly lessened my interception ratio!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Bradford_8 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

Im a year in year out madden player, but each year it always takes a while to get used to the new passing and running implimented.

My advice would be to have a fool around in practice mode (no defense), all kinds of plays, fiddle with the left stick direction, power of the throw etc until you feel comfortable throwing then test yourself against the practice defense.

If you have a nice tall receiver the fade route works really well this year, wait until he breaks to the outside, then just loft the ball up, 9 times out of 10 they come down with it. Slants are good for quick completions, and screens are an easy way to avoid blitzes...

I love using the long throws this year personally. You can usually see if your receiver has the edge on the defender, but watch for safety cover. If a team brings a safety down to the box, i like to send another receiver in motion and have 2 receivers on the same side run vertical routes, 1 corner cant cover 2 receivers with the safety out of position.

Im only on my 3rd franchise season with the Rams, but Bradford has shattered the single season record with over 6000yards and about 60tds, Lloyd had 30tds, and over 2000 yards receiving in my best year. It takes time, keep at it!

Sam_Bradford_8

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 2:21 pm

I used to be a very much pass first team. I would throw in a couple of runs each game just to keep them guessing slightly. This time around though I just focused on getting a good O-line and ran it all game. Previously I would get a yard or two each run, now I'm getting 4/5. It opens up the passing game and makes the game as a whole seem more realistic. Also thanks for the left stick tips, I didn't know about that before.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 05 Jan 2012, 2:25 pm

Sam_Bradford_8 wrote:Im a year in year out madden player, but each year it always takes a while to get used to the new passing and running implimented.

My advice would be to have a fool around in practice mode (no defense), all kinds of plays, fiddle with the left stick direction, power of the throw etc until you feel comfortable throwing then test yourself against the practice defense.

If you have a nice tall receiver the fade route works really well this year, wait until he breaks to the outside, then just loft the ball up, 9 times out of 10 they come down with it. Slants are good for quick completions, and screens are an easy way to avoid blitzes...

I love using the long throws this year personally. You can usually see if your receiver has the edge on the defender, but watch for safety cover. If a team brings a safety down to the box, i like to send another receiver in motion and have 2 receivers on the same side run vertical routes, 1 corner cant cover 2 receivers with the safety out of position.

Im only on my 3rd franchise season with the Rams, but Bradford has shattered the single season record with over 6000yards and about 60tds, Lloyd had 30tds, and over 2000 yards receiving in my best year. It takes time, keep at it!

Long throws remain the bane of my life on that game. Sometimes I get lucky and they come off, but it's more a play made by the receiver as opposed to my QB. I do need more patience to let plays develop I think, but I always have an eye on the pass rush and tend to throw it quite flustered!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Bradford_8 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 2:54 pm

Barney92 wrote:I used to be a very much pass first team. I would throw in a couple of runs each game just to keep them guessing slightly. This time around though I just focused on getting a good O-line and ran it all game. Previously I would get a yard or two each run, now I'm getting 4/5. It opens up the passing game and makes the game as a whole seem more realistic. Also thanks for the left stick tips, I didn't know about that before.

Yeah i like to mix it up myself, if the run works ill stick with it, throw in some play action and open things up. Throwing can also open up teams tough against the run, 49ers, ravens, steelers etc. (mostly 3-4 teams). There are probably tips in the manual as well, might be worth a look....

I use the pump fake a lot to, it can keep defenders in position or make them flinch, R1...if you didnt know

Sam_Bradford_8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Bradford_8 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 2:59 pm

sodhat wrote:Long throws remain the bane of my life on that game. Sometimes I get lucky and they come off, but it's more a play made by the receiver as opposed to my QB. I do need more patience to let plays develop I think, but I always have an eye on the pass rush and tend to throw it quite flustered!

Sometimes it is luck. You have to just trust the player (probably sounds a bit silly). Look at each players skills and use them accordingly.

I suppose thats a personal thing, reaction time or what to look for. If i get sacked i get sacked, doesnt put me off standing in the pocket all day...

I usually have around 4 seconds, check if anyones open upfield then get rid of it, or run...

Vertical threats work best against a cover 2 defense, you can get the ball to the receiver up the sideline behind the corner and just before the safety!

Last edited by Sam_Bradford_8 on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sam_Bradford_8

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 05 Jan 2012, 3:13 pm

Sam_Bradford_8 wrote:
Barney92 wrote:I used to be a very much pass first team. I would throw in a couple of runs each game just to keep them guessing slightly. This time around though I just focused on getting a good O-line and ran it all game. Previously I would get a yard or two each run, now I'm getting 4/5. It opens up the passing game and makes the game as a whole seem more realistic. Also thanks for the left stick tips, I didn't know about that before.

Yeah i like to mix it up myself, if the run works ill stick with it, throw in some play action and open things up. Throwing can also open up teams tough against the run, 49ers, ravens, steelers etc. (mostly 3-4 teams). There are probably tips in the manual as well, might be worth a look....

I use the pump fake a lot to, it can keep defenders in position or make them flinch, R1...if you didnt know

I wondered how effective the pump fake actually was, as I'd only used it once on pro difficulty and I'm yet to try on all-pro. Does it have much of an effect in letting receivers gain a yard or slowing a pass rush?

Think I'm coming round to the idea that a sack is preferrable to an interception, but my natural instinct is always to try and get a throw off before getting hit, and more than once that has resulted in a costly pick.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Bradford_8 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 3:25 pm

I havent done any extensive studies on the pump fake like...but it works for me. It does get some players, makes them freeze or jump earlier etc. Yes it can let your receivers gain a yard, and can make an incoming pass rusher jump early or miss you completely...(another useful tip is to flick the r3 button, it makes your qb try to avoid the rusher, sidestep him etc.)

I tend to use it if i have deep routes or a fade route. Snap the ball, pump fake then float it up for the fade route. Or on deep routes, snap wait 1 or 2 secs, give a pump then launch it up there..

I used to be the same, it frustrated me giving up a sack, but i would prefer giving up a sack than an int now. Try to get in the habit of moving out of the pocket if you can sense the pressure, but not like those annoying online gamers, who snap the ball then immediately run out of the pocket or back 20 yards, that annoys the heck outta me. I like the more realistic way of playing the game..

Oh and you can throw the ball away once your out of the pocket, hit r2 (i think). If you throw it away when your in the pocket then you'll get called for intential grounding, if your willing to take the penalty instead of a sack go for it.

Sam_Bradford_8

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:20 pm

SamBradford8 - I havent done any extensive studies on the pump fake like...but it works for me. It does get some players, makes them freeze or jump earlier etc. Yes it can let your receivers gain a yard, and can make an incoming pass rusher jump early or miss you completely...(another useful tip is to flick the r3 button, it makes your qb try to avoid the rusher, sidestep him etc.)

Pump fakes work like a dream for me.

Oh and you can throw the ball away once your out of the pocket, hit r2 (i think). If you throw it away when your in the pocket then you'll get called for intential grounding, if your willing to take the penalty instead of a sack go for it

Throwing the ball away has bailed me out of a lot of sacks when running an impromptu bootleg. It's clicking the right stick on 360.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:29 pm

Sorry Sam Bradford but I think you quoted me instaed of someone else by mistake there. Think it was Sodhat that said that not me. Not that it really matters. I rarely think about pump faking, every now and then I'll do it just before I take off with the quarterback. It works sometimes and when it does it gives you a lot more room to work with.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Bradford_8 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

My bad Barney, sorry. It didnt quote right the first time then i went to copy and paste it and got the wrong one. Ill fix it....

What system is everyone on? PS3 OR Xbox?

Sam_Bradford_8

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:31 pm

Im a PS3 man. Those Xbox controls seriously confuse me nowadays.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:42 pm

You probably aready know I'm a 360 man.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:48 pm

Anyone ever do fantasy drafts? My current one is one. They change things up a bit with Tebow currently at the Cowboys and Polamalu at the Ravens I think. Think Matthews and Suh were my first two picks.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:40 pm

I used to do fantasy drafts on the old ones, and I probably will once I'm done with my current Raiders franchise.

I always enjoyed the draft part of it, but generally it led to a pretty imbalanced team!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:17 pm

Yeah, I see what you mean. Have a very good defence but I sort of neglected the offence, especially the wide receivers. Think 70 was my highest rated one at the start.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:53 pm

Ha, I do completely the opposite and end up with a heavy offense bias. I prefer the offensive side of the game but if I do it this year I'm going to do my best to actually draft sensibly.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Sun 19 Feb 2012, 7:17 pm

sors to bump this up, but does anyone elsehave the problem in FA that no great players are ever avlible, im in my 5th year and havant had one 87+player up yet.
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Feb 2012, 7:42 pm

cherriesfan wrote:sors to bump this up, but does anyone elsehave the problem in FA that no great players are ever avlible, im in my 5th year and havant had one 87+player up yet.

The only player I've had over 90 in FA has been Shane Lechler!!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 20 Feb 2012, 9:43 am

cherriesfan wrote:sors to bump this up, but does anyone elsehave the problem in FA that no great players are ever avlible, im in my 5th year and havant had one 87+player up yet.

I've had a few great players available, but no one in the mid 90s or more.

I picked up a RB of 89 in my 6th season (now in 9th), and have seen the odd 90+ QB (Tom Brady, if I remember correctly...).

I think much of it is that the franchise mode has been overhauled, and the CPU teams are supposedly making more sensible decisions. I.e. holding on to their stars!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 10:12 am

Picked up Revis, still 99, in the 3rd or 4th season. Next best was a fake qb with 94 but after that most have been below 90. Revis was a pretty handy free agent to pick up even if he cost me an arm and a leg.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:03 am

Cherries - I assume you are referring to FA between seasons? I agree its mainly because FA has been overhauled in franchise. It was too easy to pick up 3-4 good FA's by outbidding the CPU. Now you see more teams after the same spread of players so competition is tighter. Getting a grip on the new bidding system is also a factor for me!

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 20 Feb 2012, 12:14 pm

Has anyone had it where a player in their team just disappears following FA and the draft?

It's happened more than once now, and I have resigned all the players I wanted to - is there something I'm missing that I should be doing?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 20 Feb 2012, 1:02 pm

After I played one season with the Giants I resigned all my FAs and when pre-season came around I found out Rocky Bernard was a Viking and Jonathan Goff was in Oakland.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 20 Feb 2012, 1:07 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:After I played one season with the Giants I resigned all my FAs and when pre-season came around I found out Rocky Bernard was a Viking and Jonathan Goff was in Oakland.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me.

Is there restricted or unrestricted FAs that I need to be looking at and signing up, or is the CPU just cutting some of my best players!? I lost my two best linebackers yesterday, and had to do some rather unfortunate trades to even be respectable in LOLB and MLB.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Bradford_8 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:20 am

Thats a weird one. Did you re-sign them at the re-sign screen or just through the FA bidding?

Sam_Bradford_8

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:24 am

Sam_Bradford_8 wrote:Thats a weird one. Did you re-sign them at the re-sign screen or just through the FA bidding?

On the re-sign screen, I always re-sign anyone of 76 or above myself and let the CPU decide the rest.

But the thing is, these guys weren't even on the re-sign screen, and they hadn't retired either! I didn't see them in FA come to think of it - if I had I would have re-signed them then.

They literally disappear from my team by the time pre-season rolls around.

I now have a pretty poor looking set of linebackers, highest is rated at 83 and he is out of position playing on the right (that's where I tend to control on defense plays). The rest are all 75-78s.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:29 am

I think there's an auto function that fills your roster after FA/draft before pre-season starts. I wonder if it makes cuts to keep you under the cap?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Bradford_8 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:32 am

Thats stumped me. If you re-sign them on the re-sign screen then they should be on the team, only logical. Maybe some kind of glitch, i havent experienced it though...

Sam_Bradford_8

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:39 am

I think you're probably right skins, it's the only way I could explain it, because I certainly never cut them! But then I look in FA before my first pre-season game and I don't see them there either, so I've not a clue.

How is everyone finding franchise in general? I'm really enjoying it to be honest, I'm 9 years in as the Raiders already. I think I have addiction problems. I still can't throw the ball very well though Laugh

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next