The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets & Ben Morgan

+4
Shifty
Chunky Norwich
ScarletSpiderman
QuickBall
8 posters

Go down

Scarlets & Ben Morgan Empty Scarlets & Ben Morgan

Post by QuickBall Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:03 pm

Now that Mr Morgan has set his eyes on playing for England. Should the Scarlets let his contract with the region expire and let him find a home in the Jeff? Or keep him continue to develop him as a player, which would see him take the place of a potential welsh player?

this goes to the Scarlet supporters on the board.

QuickBall
QuickBall

Back to top Go down

Scarlets & Ben Morgan Empty Re: Scarlets & Ben Morgan

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:06 pm

I would love it if we could keep him, but would understand if he wanted to move back to England after his contract expired. He's the type of no8 that really suits our game, and he's fitted in really well with the whole Scarlets ethos.

It wouldn't be terrible though if he did end up going as we have players like Murphy coming through the system (and whispers of a couple of other potential number 8's coming through the academy system).

Personally though, would rather he stayed with us.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:12 pm

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with the RFU and whether or not he gets selected, and if he does whether it is a one cap to prevent him changing his mind or not. I know Jonno has gone but he was keen on English players being based in England, so I guess we will have to see what the next England coach has to say on where the EPS players play. Morgan may have to seek pastures new in order to stand a chance of playing for ENgland regularly.

Personally I do think that we have NWQ places in our squads for players who benefit the regions, and I do think that Morgan is one of those players the Scarlets should try to keep hold even if he is NWQ. Also he has another few years on his contract so even if we held onto him whilst we were bringing Murphy through (or even repositioning McCukser) it would have its advantages.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:13 pm

He'll go to England after his contract expires. Maybe sooner if a club is willing to pay a fee.

Best of luck to him. He'll always be Scarlet. He's made the right choice.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:14 pm

He isn't English until he has been capped by them, and he did turn down the chance to play for England Saxons, before the World Cup.

He also hadn't come out himself and said made any kind of public commitment, to either side, to me it looks very much like he is keeping his options open until the last minute. The whole discussion came about because of Kingsley Jones talking on Scrum V, speaking to his dad, who talked to him. Headscratch

I would say he would probably have the better career with Wales simply because Wales struggle to produce the kind of forward that Ben Morgan is. On the other hand big, stong, head down, arsé up, bull forwards are two a penny in England. England tend to produce great forwards as a rule. Remember Ben Morgan couldn't get a professional contract at ANY English club a couple of seasons ago, and had to go amateur in Ebbw Vale in the Welsh Premiership to have a rugby team! That's how good he was in relation to all the other good young English forward prospects he was!

By the same token English players like Ben Youngs and Joe Simpson might never of made it as professional players in Wales simply because of the log jam of scrum halves we have a tendency to produce. We produce backs. Historically Wales have traded backs (Dewi Morris) for forwards (Tony copsey) with England.

Last edited by AlynDavies on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:15 pm

He's declared for England today!

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:17 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:He's declared for England today!
Ah dang my BBC website was saying about Holley going for the Ospreys job, now it's updated to Ben Morgan chooses England while I've been browsing this forum.

Oh well best of luck to him. Hug

I guess he wouldn't be making this announcement unless he knew he'd be picked for the English 6 Nations squad, after all he refused the England Saxons squad as it would tie him down to England.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/4544.php

article for your info Alyn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:44 pm

Fair play can't deny him playing for his country of birth. I think he maybe let go after his contract expires as he will probably need to be involved in the aviva premiership to get an england cap.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:48 pm

AlynDavies wrote:He isn't English until he has been capped by them

He'd be English even if he was capped by Wales.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:59 pm

I am guessing maybe that Lancaster or someone from England has been in touch with him and said they want him in his plans.

He could look little silly if saying this now and is then not selected.

Either way good luck to him, I was looking forward to him and Faletau going head to head for Welsh No8 jersey now instead maybe just going head to head.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 04 Jan 2012, 1:58 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:He isn't English until he has been capped by them

He'd be English even if he was capped by Wales.
Shush you, his surname is Morgan we could of gotten away with that one! Whistle

rugbydreamer wrote:http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/4544.php
article for your info Alyn.
Hug

Last edited by AlynDavies on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jan 2012, 1:58 pm

If you read the article on the Scarelts' website beford he does say he understand that he might not be selected and if not, he'll just continue keeping his head down and working on his rugby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 04 Jan 2012, 2:42 pm

Just like any other player the Scarlets should try and extend his contract if he deserves one if he doesn't then let him go.
Two years is a long time in rugby nobody knows yet what kind of player he will be like when the contracts is up for renewal.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down