The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Top 10 Players Who Play By Instinct

+3
lydian
time please
legendkillar
7 posters

Go down

Current Top 10 Players Who Play By Instinct Empty Current Top 10 Players Who Play By Instinct

Post by legendkillar Wed 04 Jan 2012, 7:48 pm

Guys I will run 2 lists. I am intrigued to see who features in who's list. Here is the first one. I think the modern tennis player has 2 mindsets. There are those who play by instinct those with lovely touch and seem at one with the ball. Then there are those who play by percentages who keep themselves in points until confident enough to play their best shots. Instinct players are extrovert and Percentage players are Introvert.

My 10 Instinct Currently:

1) Federer
2) Tsonga
3) Malisse
4) Nalbandian
5) Gasquet
6) Haas
7) Del Potro
8) Davydenko
9) Blake
10) Soderling

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Current Top 10 Players Who Play By Instinct Empty Re: Current Top 10 Players Who Play By Instinct

Post by time please Wed 04 Jan 2012, 9:42 pm

Certainly I agree with your top 2 legend - it's not that I necessarily disagree with the rest but I am feeling very dull witted at the moment and don't have many ideas.

I wish that Fed would sometimes just let rip more because I believe that he is at his brilliant best when he is playing instinctively.

Tsonga has had a great year relying on his instinctive game rather than feeling the constraints of a coach's dictats, and this has allowed his power game to really flourish.

time please

Back to top Go down

Current Top 10 Players Who Play By Instinct Empty Re: Current Top 10 Players Who Play By Instinct

Post by lydian Wed 04 Jan 2012, 9:51 pm

I guess we're talking "flair" players?

I'd say Dolgo is pretty high up there.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:01 am

Good point lydian,

I think Dolgo against Djokovic at the FO showed that if he tries to 'think' too hard and play the percentages, he becomes too unsettled.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:55 am

legendkillar wrote:Good point lydian,

I think Dolgo against Djokovic at the FO showed that if he tries to 'think' too hard and play the percentages, he becomes too unsettled.

Yes Dolgopolov was certainly inspirational to watch when everything was flowing instinctively from his raquet - he is wonderful to watch when he hits his zone.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:07 am

He is a talent TP. I think when he thinks he is dangerous!! laughing

Unorthodox and unpredictable. The serve is just amazing when he gets the first one in.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:08 am

Interesting thing about Blake was that, at one stage of his career, he decided to play the percentages more so as to cut out errors and found that he was playing far too passively.
Bit surprised to see Davydenko on the instinct list. A fine player, but surely one that ought to be on the percentage list. He could, arguably, be replaced by Gonzo. Some may also remember Magnus Gustafsson (spelling) who used to to hit huge, flat forehands and could be a real handful.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:11 am

Davydenko actually plays his best tennis when he is up against it. If he played percentages he would actually have more success. I find him frustrating because he hits a beauty of a BH. If it was all time players I think only 2 at best would make the list.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:26 am

I agree. Davydenko is anything but a "safe" player. He takes the ball earliest on the tour and aims so close to net and lines that in my view it makes him one of the riskier player. That's why it took him so long to become a good player and also why he has trouble finding his range again since injury and change of racquet.

Monfils is in my view one of the "worse" percentage player....Nadal being the worst as all his musles are designed to make his shots safer.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:32 am

Monfils is the laziest player on tour. I can't make sense of his game. He can play attacking tennis for about set at the most. When he does try to play percentages it is horrible to watch. It is like watching a failing junior at about 8 years old who isn't going to make it. When his head goes down, his serving action goes with it. Just horrible.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:34 am

Yes, but his lazy tennis makes him work much harder than he should.

That's the weird thing. More than lazy, I'd say pretty gutless.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:52 am

Yep LK and TP...I'm expecting good things from Dolgo this year (and Raonic)...its a question of how much his blood disorder holds him back though. If you read his interviews the condition can affect him quite severely.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:46 pm

lydian wrote:Yep LK and TP...I'm expecting good things from Dolgo this year (and Raonic)...its a question of how much his blood disorder holds him back though. If you read his interviews the condition can affect him quite severely.

I think his condition will hold him back, very sadly.....it's just too demanding in modern sport to be able to maintain the heights with that type of chronic condition (I can't remember what the blood disorder is exactly atm, but I do remember reading and thinking it had to hold him back)

Raonic looks as if he could be an exciting prospect - he seems to have a good temperament too. Have only been following results on and off this week, but Tomic had a very good day a few days ago that certainly had the Aussie press looking forward to AO. Tomic is an instinctive player too imo.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:56 pm

Tomic could meet Murray in the semi's at Adelaide. A Tomic win might arouse opinion about a youngster ready to crash the top 20.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm

I heard Tomic put on a few muscle pounds over Xmas! Things can only get tougher for the top players.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 05 Jan 2012, 1:02 pm

Saw Tomic at Wimbledon last year and he looked very mature for one so young. One to watch, I think.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 05 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

I was reading (can't remember where) that Tomic has suddenly begun to take training very seriously - I think Rafter had a bit of a pop at Tomic's rather casual practices at Davis Cup - allegedly!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 05 Jan 2012, 2:32 pm

Tomic's attitude is somewhat bizarre. He seems like a reluctant Aussie because he had that fall out with Hewitt and seems to be annoying Rafter. Maybe Parential Guidance is having a knock on effect.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 2:37 pm

It could also be the case that he has now reached the age where he can do harder physical training and build muscle. It is not a great idea to stack on the muscle too young while you are still growing as it can lead to problems later.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:45 pm

If this is a list indicating those who tend to 'hit and hope', resulting in some spectacular stuff one shot and (often) embarrassing rubbish a shot later, then I agree

However, please don't make me laugh again by suggesting that Del Potro it a player with a 'lovely touch'!!

Indeed, I suggest a third list, of those with the best 'touch' to their game. Headed by Fed and McEnroe or course

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:18 pm

banbrotam wrote:If this is a list indicating those who tend to 'hit and hope', resulting in some spectacular stuff one shot and (often) embarrassing rubbish a shot later, then I agree

However, please don't make me laugh again by suggesting that Del Potro it a player with a 'lovely touch'!!

Indeed, I suggest a third list, of those with the best 'touch' to their game. Headed by Fed and McEnroe or course

Laugh

Nice 2 man list you have!

S_A in disguise!

If you are making the mistake of defining touch as 'Net' play or 'Volley' I shall stop laughing till you rectify that thinking

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:33 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeD6Z0k8E5s

What a poor touch!!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:05 pm

legendarykillar

Instinct Players and Touch players are two different animals. A touch player (as far as I'm concerned) has always been defined as a player who has a natural feel for the ball, where they will be a significantly (admittedley small) part of that players game which has a draw dropping subtle beauty to their game - i.e. Federer.

Such a list would have Fed, McEnroe, Mercir, Leconte , Tsonga and yes Murray as these players, when they are at their very best often come up with a shot of beauty rather than just power / instinct

However, it's your list, so we'll going on your definitions as it's your article and agree to differ!!

I've just never heard DP referred to as a 'touch' player. Of course all the best players have a degree of touch / subtlety - but definitions are usually used to describe their main attribute

I like your idea, but think that there are three facets of a Tennis player and we've relegated the third, touch, because it's not seen as that relevant in today's 'subtle as a kick in the teeth' power game

Interesting that only Fed, would get in all three categories

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:18 pm

Looking at Del Potro, he can volley. Looking at his racquet grip which is something I took into account requires far more focus on 'touch' than your average 'power' player. The FH grip he has focuses very much on a wristy action.

Example

Soderling FH v Del Potro FH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1ig38WUE8g

This is a gem of a video.

Look at the grips. That shows Del Potro is using the index finger as a control measure of how he is going to strike the ball.

Look at the follow throughs. Del Potro's stance is straight and almost still like. He is generating all his power from the Forearm

Soderling is rotating through his body as his beginning stance is left sided. All his power comes from the hips.

Funny you not laughing at Soderling being on the list Erm

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:50 pm

legendkillar wrote:
Funny you not laughing at Soderling being on the list Erm

I didn't notice!! I was too stunned at DP being there and now I'm speechless - I'll have to go lie down for a bit!!

Seriously, if this is "instinct" play then come back Rafa all's forgiven!!

I do think your idea is a good one, but surely instinct has to be more than merely hitting a forehand without thinking or taking it early

Or maybe a discussion about what defines a touch player

Looking at the list, I realise now why some get on the backs of Murray - if this is defined as 'good'.

Me? I'll stick to the good old all round court craft of the Scot, including the way he carefully constructs a point Wink

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:01 pm

:facepalm:

Next you will tell me tennis is played with a bat!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down