The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who wins in the following Super Six?

+11
ArchBritishchris
Sugar Boy Sweetie
zx1234
oxring
azania
wow_junky
88Chris05
Scottrf
HumanWindmill
The Galveston Giant
GeoffSnapes
15 posters

Go down

Who wins in the following Super Six? Empty Who wins in the following Super Six?

Post by GeoffSnapes Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:13 am

The super six is at the semi-final stages and has proved to be a semi-success, despite the many withdrawals and injuries. If this format had been around in early 2000 (lets say 2000 - 2003), how do you see a Super Six at super middleweight going between the following fighters:-

* Jermaine Taylor (Group 1)
* Sven Ottke (Grp 2)
* Bernard Hopkins (Grp 1)
* James Toney (Grp 2)
* Roy Jones Junior (Grp 1)
* Joe Calzaghe (Grp 2)

For me it would be as follows:
Roy Jones (Winner)
Joe Calzaghe (Final)
Bernard Hopkins (semi) (Loses to Calzaghe by UD)
James Toney (semi) (Loses to RJJ by UD)
Jermaine Taylor (out first round in group containg BHop and RJJ. 2 losess, UD to BHop, KO to RJJ)
Sven Ottke (UD losses to Calzaghe, KO loss to Toney)

Boxing Challenges

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Who wins in the following Super Six? Empty Re: Who wins in the following Super Six?

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:38 am

If it's back in 2000 i will go with the following;

1. Roy Jones
2. Bernard Hopkins
3. James Toney
4. Joe Calzaghe
5. Jermaine Taylor
6. Sven Ottke

If the whole tourney was in Germany, would go as follows;

1. Sven Ottke
2. Sven Ottke
3. Sven Ottke
4. Sven Ottke
5. Sven Ottke
6. Sven Ottke
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Who wins in the following Super Six? Empty Re: Who wins in the following Super Six?

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:41 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:If it's back in 2000 i will go with the following;

1. Roy Jones
2. Bernard Hopkins
3. James Toney
4. Joe Calzaghe
5. Jermaine Taylor
6. Sven Ottke

If the whole tourney was in Germany, would go as follows;

1. Sven Ottke
2. Sven Ottke
3. Sven Ottke
4. Sven Ottke
5. Sven Ottke
6. Sven Ottke

Ha !

If it were in Germany, Galveston, then Marcus Beyer would come second, even though he isn't in the tournament, and I dare say that Mario Veit would have a podium place, also.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:44 am

I think Jones and Toney could salvage draws when they knock him out.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:46 am

Ha, very true Windy. Very Happy
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:47 am

Scottrf wrote:I think Jones and Toney could salvage draws when they knock him out.

Depends if they get penalized for actually having the nerve to hit Ottke, as Reid was.

I'd have to pick Jones as the winner of this, but it's by no means a formality. I think he'd simply always have the wood over Toney, but the 2000 version of Hopkins and Calzaghe give Jones nightmares for me. In the end, I think that too low a work rate costs Hopkins against Jones, and 'Captain Hook' just about squeezes past Calzaghe in cagey battle where he's on the back foot for nearly the whole night.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:50 am

The clear top 4 are RJJ, Calzaghe, Hopkins and Toney - I'd probably have them in that order as well but could easily make a case for any of them winning it.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:50 am

Sorry guys having problems seeing updated comments at work just now, bet it's Germany, i wasn't even in the tournament.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 16 Mar 2011, 3:20 pm

RJJ vs Toney final with RJJ winning easily. Inactivity did not cost Bhop against RJJ. It was simply RJJ's speed and Hop knowing that as soon as he opened up, RJJ would hit him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 16 Mar 2011, 3:22 pm

Toney nowhere near the final. Man had no dedication - great talent - yes. But the idea he'd have made 168 in 2000? For 4 whole fights? Burger King would have to go into liquidation first
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 3:34 pm

Roy Jones wins easily enough

I think Calzaghe could make final by winning his group and beating group runner up hopkins in semis; stylistically calzaghe is not hopkins cup of tea.

I fear Toney may not get out of his group if he fights Ottke in Germany; maybe losing by disqualification.

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:12 pm

oxring wrote:Toney nowhere near the final. Man had no dedication - great talent - yes. But the idea he'd have made 168 in 2000? For 4 whole fights? Burger King would have to go into liquidation first

I'm taking them at their best. ie full training and total dedication with all their talents on display.

Keep him away from Burger King.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:22 pm

I think a prime B-Hop beats JC. joe struggled enough with the 43 year old version who'd lost some speed and resorted to spoiling too often. RJJ is the other strong candidate, and he beat a prime Toney so you'd have to put him ahead of Toney in this. In order I'd say:

RJJ
Hopkins
Calzaghe
Toney
Taylor
Ottke
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:41 pm

I reckon Calzaghe struggled with Hopkins, missing for 8 rounds was part of that. Hopkins often wins by taking it close and making it difficult to tell, doesn't always work though. Perhaps its a question of eras, RJJ beat Toney (a bit like the 1988 Olympic final that one) and Hopkins in the 90s, but would the verdict have been the same in 2000? The 2000 fight between RJJ and Hopkins was a classic the world never got to see. RJJ against Jermaine Taylor also a interesting spectacle.

Not to be cynical but many of these fights woudn't have happened in their primes anyway. But, maybe there would be some upsets, Jermaine Taylor may turn out to be the winner. He was the first person to beat Hopkins in about a decade, Jones has a style he doesn't mind. Taylor vs Toney in the final.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:59 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:I think a prime B-Hop beats JC. joe struggled enough with the 43 year old version who'd lost some speed and resorted to spoiling too often. RJJ is the other strong candidate, and he beat a prime Toney so you'd have to put him ahead of Toney in this. In order I'd say:

RJJ
Hopkins
Calzaghe
Toney
Taylor
Ottke

Why do many use Hop's age when he lost to JC but forget that JC was getting old himself and was no longer in his prime? IMO JC beats Hop 80% of the time.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 21 Mar 2011, 8:51 am

Calzaghe wouldn't have entered this tournament as it would have meant he would have to fought a good before they were finished
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 21 Mar 2011, 9:08 am

Toney @ 168 in 2000 laughing

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by beastfromthesoutheast Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:21 am

Group 1 would be interesting if it was in 2005. Jermain Taylor beat Hopkins twice in that year, plus Roy Jones Jr was just over the hill. In which case I think Taylor would have nicked it that group. Meeting either Calzaghe or Hopkins in the final (probably B-Hop)

In 2003 Taylor wouldn't have been ready and would have come last in the group with a peak Roy Jones clearing up. Calzaghe is the clear winner of group 2, not so sure about 2nd place though, making the weight would be a huge struggle for Toney so maybe Ottke coming 2nd with the help of a home town decision.

Hopkins would beat Calzaghe if they met in the semis, and a Hopkins - Jones rubber match in the final would lead to Jones winning.

beastfromthesoutheast

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:39 am

In the time frame you are talking I think it favours Hopkins and Calzaghe.

Jones only fought at SMW in the mid 90s so by 2000-2003 when he was a LH and had gone up to HW its hard to imagine him even being able to compete there.

Ottke would have been aging and was a step below these other guys so cant see him making an impact.

Taylor hadnt even gone pro in 2000 and was still pretty green in 2003 so hard to see him being capable of challenging then. He only ever fought at SMW in the tail end of his career and was a natural middleweight.

Toney was a blob fighting around cruiserweight at that point.

Hopkins won fighter of the year around 2001/2 and Calzaghe was a well established SMW then so I would make Hopkins a clear favourite with Calzaghe second.

Its questionable if Jones, Toney and Taylor could even be involved in the competition 2000-03 and Ottke was a step below Hopkins and Calzaghe.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down