The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales to go alone

4 posters

Go down

Wales to go alone Empty Wales to go alone

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:18 pm

ttp://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES5/articles/000001/000166.shtml

intresting, but do they have the class to get anywhere....intrested in people's thoughts on this.

Back to top Go down

Wales to go alone Empty Re: Wales to go alone

Post by Mike Selig Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:30 pm

To cut a long story short (the test is about to start after all, and nobody really wants to read another rant by Mike Selig about the dominance of the few in World Cricket governance), it is highly unlikely to happen anytime soon. Wales cricket is effectively run by Glamorgan who are effectively run by the ECB. Whether this is in the best interests for overall cricket in Wales (or indeed in the world) I leave to you to decide, but discussions about a possible Wales only team are purely hypothetical for now.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:17 am

i dont think it will happen, because if glamorgan cricketer arent avaliable then, its hard to see where quality players will come from..

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:48 am

No reason why Glamorgan players couldn't be available (as Irish/Dutch players mostly get released by their counties, so feasibly could welsh players, although I understand the difficulties if 80% of your players have to get released - perhaps it is a case of working the European calendar around the English one). The problem more is that Glamorgan and welsh cricket get a huge chunk of funding from the ECB which in the short term would go away.

Personally I'm not that bothered: welsh cricketers (unlike many others) have the opportunity to play at the highest level they can, and the infrastructures in Wales are fine. From a world cricket development perspective I don't think it matters too much whether or not they get their own team.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:41 am

im not overly bothered if they play international cricket, however i noticed the article and thought i would bring it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:33 pm

I reckon they'd give the associates a good game! They'd have some decent players there though some of them may try to qualify for England.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

Pretty sure Wales do have a team, they just play small countries

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:45 pm

yh but hodge i highly doubt they would be competiive....

unless they just used glamorgan players which i dont see happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:02 pm

hodge wrote:Pretty sure Wales do have a team, they just play small countries

Nope they don't. They're not even a member of the ICC (apart from as part of England). They have played the odd friendly over the years (against England mainly) but don't compete in any official capacity.

If they ever did take the leap and were allowed access to all their best players I've no doubt they'd be up there challenging the Netherlands and Namibia fairly soon...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:15 pm

Gareth Rees
Geraint Jones
Mike Powell
Tom Maynard
Michael O'Shea
?
Tom Wallace
Robert Croft
Will Owen
James Harris
Simon Jones (even if he's only on one leg)

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:36 pm

Rees- good player
Jones-played too much for england
Powell- laughing
Maynard-class player
o'shea- laughing
Jamie Dalrymple at 6 perahps?
isnt it Mark wallace not tom wallace?
Croft-retired by then
Owen-crap
Harris-class
Jones-played too much for england

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:00 pm

The Jones's could do an Ed Joyce. Of course I mean Mark Wallace Doh Powell, O'Shea and Owen would work fine against an associate team. We aren't talking a test side here.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:02 pm

yh but GG the two jones's played a hell of a lot for england, joyce didnt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:08 pm

Doesn't make any difference. they can play for any nation for which they qualify 4 years after playing for England, regardless of how many times. Of course, any players going in the reverse direction (associate to full member) doesn't need to wait 4 years. Which is obviously completely fair and above board.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:10 pm

ah yes mike my mistake...

however geriant jones is 36 i think so he wouldnt play for them, and simon jones can hardly move most of the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:14 pm

True true. I think Wales would be a good associate side. I doubt they'd beat the best like Ireland, Afghanistan, UAE or even Scotland, but they'd give them a run for their money.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:18 pm

they could do what netherlands and scotland usually do, take part as the 'make up' side in the CB40 perhaps.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:23 pm

A bit unfair on the Netherlands who won 5 matches last year and tied another.

Anyway the point is entirely hypothetical, as things stand those who matter in Cricket Wales don't want them to split from the ECB, so that's that. Besides, if they tried to compete in the CB40 without their Glamorgan contracted players they'd be roundly beaten by all.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:25 pm

werent scotland in it last year though as well?

they could replace them who done awful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:30 pm

Wales without Glamorgan would get roundly smashed by Scotland. Frankly they'd lose to both Denmark and Italy, and struggle against the likes of Jersey. Their system is currently based entirely on a top-down functioning as a feeder for Glamorgan.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:34 pm

Without the Glamorgan players I might get in Very Happy

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 6:06 pm

i highly doubt anything will come from this, like i say, i saw the article and thought it would be good to bring it up, and see what people think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

Well, the feeling I get is that views in Wales are pretty mixed: some say that without the ECB funding and the top-down approach the game will go backwards and the grass-roots will struggle. Others say that the top-down approach is currently stifling the game, and being affiliated to England puts a lot of potential players off; in the long term it would be better for Wales to build on their own from the bottom up.

I don't really know enough about the situation to tell you which view is correct. What I do know is that even at grass roots, players in Wales have access to facilities and dreams most other cricket countries would die for, so from a development perspective I'm not too fussed.

From a moral democratic perspective I am of course horrified that all the power in Wales cricket is given to Glamorgan, but democracy and the ICC don't really mix do they (indeed neither do morals and the ICC)?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:51 pm

This is an interesting idea, but not one I can see happening for a long time. Wales as far as I'm aware does not have the competative structure in place (other then at Glammy) for us to be developing enough players to be even a little bit competative.

Set up a more competative league amongst clubs within Wales and then at least we'd have a better starting point to go from.

Tis a nice idea, but not one I can see ever really happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:06 pm

i completely agree with ya dreamer...its nice they have ambition, but its more hope than anything else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 08 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

The thing is, if Wales/Ireland/Scotland all 'went alone' and made an effort to be independent ODI and Test sides they would eventually get to a reasonable level, but it would take time. Ireland in particular have some decent players but as soon as anyone is a class above they get poached to play for England because that's the only way to play Test cricket (Morgan/Joyce). I guess what I'm saying is it's a bit of a vicious cycle but I would personally love to see Wales and the others develop into fully independent cricketing nations.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:37 pm

Carrotdude wrote:The thing is, if Wales/Ireland/Scotland all 'went alone' and made an effort to be independent ODI and Test sides they would eventually get to a reasonable level, but it would take time. Ireland in particular have some decent players but as soon as anyone is a class above they get poached to play for England because that's the only way to play Test cricket (Morgan/Joyce). I guess what I'm saying is it's a bit of a vicious cycle but I would personally love to see Wales and the others develop into fully independent cricketing nations.

good to see ya back carrotdude thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down