The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul Scholes resigns for Manchester United

+6
Beer
All Time Great
lorus59
hampo17
Marky
Crimey
10 posters

Go down

Paul Scholes resigns for Manchester United Empty Paul Scholes resigns for Manchester United

Post by Crimey Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:09 pm

Paul Scholes has come out of retirement and will play for Manchester United until the end of the season.

The former England midfielder, 37, retired at the end of last season and has been coaching at United.

But he has been persuaded to help United through their injury crisis and is on the bench for Sunday's FA Cup third-round tie at Manchester City.

Scholes said: "I'm delighted the manager feels I can still make a contribution to the team."

The veteran midfielder spent his entire career at Old Trafford and made his debut in the League Cup in 1994.

Scholes went on to win 10 Premier League titles and two Champions League trophies in a glittering domestic career.

The Premier League champions are beset by injury concerns in midfield, with Darren Fletcher ruled out for the rest of the season with a bowel condition and Tom Cleverley still struggling with an ankle problem.

Scholes, who made just 16 Premier League starts for United last season, made what was thought to be his final appearance in United's 3-1 defeat to Barcelona in the Champions League final in May.

He added: "I've been pretty clear since I stopped playing that I miss it.

"I'm looking forward to playing my part in trying to bring more success to this great club."

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson feels Scholes, who quit international football in 2004 after winning 66 England caps, retired too soon.

"It's fantastic that Paul has made this decision," said Ferguson. "It's always sad to see great players end their careers, but especially so when they do it early.

"But he has kept himself in great shape and I always felt that he had another season in him. It's terrific to have him back."

Scholes will use the squad number 22 after Ashley Young took over his iconic number 18 at the start of the season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what does everybody think of this? Good move or bad move? Similar to Thierry Henry in one sense, except that Scholes only left last year. Is a 37 year old Scholes really what's missing for United though? I just can't see it making a difference past him giving them a bit of motivation, last year he never really influenced games like he used to hence why he retired.

Unfortunately for United fans I see it as Fergie showing that he's not going to buy a creative midfielder in January, which I think Manchester United desperately need.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Paul Scholes resigns for Manchester United Empty Re: Paul Scholes resigns for Manchester United

Post by Marky Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:12 pm

I heard Bobby Charlton said no, so Fergie asked Scholes.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Paul Scholes resigns for Manchester United Empty Re: Paul Scholes resigns for Manchester United

Post by hampo17 Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm

The Henry move is a far more sensible one in my opinion. Henry has at least been playing competitive football so his match sharpness should still be there, this Scholes deal strikes me as desperation from Fergie. How poor must he think the midfield is to get a 37 year old Scholes to come out of retirement?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:26 pm

It definitely smacks of desperation. Will this version of Scholes strike fear into any opposing team? I seriously doubt it.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:27 pm

I'm delighted. Scholes was one of very few players who was able to stand up against Barcelona in the Champions League final.

He's a useful addition to the squad- players like him don't come around everyday.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm

I'd like to hear what the United fans think this says about the rest of Uniteds centre midfielders

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:29 pm

If ever a move smacked of desperation, this is it.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Golbaboy Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm

Cannot belive the news. Fergie must be desperate.. Just watch him get the winner today though.
What next Gary Neville??

Golbaboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:34 pm

Gary Pallister is still on reasonable shape. But saw David May on MUTV and he's piled it on.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:37 pm

Fergie must be desperate. He's 37 and hasn't played competitive football for a while, AND he's on the bench today!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:53 pm

I love this news!

Scholes has been training with the reserves all season, he knows how both squads play and has kept himself in shape.

Yes this is a big risk, but one I think that is needed. What it does tell us though is that we desperately need to sign someone new in this transfer window.

We've been hit hard by injuries, but we shouldn't have even been in the position to have to call up on Scholes as cover (no matter how brilliant he is).

Could go either way today, he could play a blinder when he comes on, or do a typical Scholes "tackle" and see red. Who knows. I'm just really excited for this now!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:55 pm

Smile We seem to have a lack of CM's as it stands with Fletcher probably finished for at least a year. It can't backfire, this move. I suspect Scholes kept himself in reasonably good shape anyway and, at the most, he'll play 20 minutes.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Sun 08 Jan 2012, 1:31 pm

Im glad that he is back, I mean who else is going to join us during january when we are out of the CL, best player we could have got and he fills a gap until summer.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down