The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey squad and sides for next season

5 posters

Go down

Surrey squad and sides for next season Empty Surrey squad and sides for next season

Post by king_carlos Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:25 am

Evening all! Firstly I'd like to start with an apology to the old Surrey faithful from the now gone Surrey page (and anyone else who will listen!) for going missing through the second half of last season. I'm afraid some of life’s little commitments meant certain luxuries had to be neglected for a time.

That done, what a finish it was to have to miss though! Three big wins in the last three CC games securing the promised promotion even Chris Adams seemed to have gone a bit quiet about and an excellent performance in the CB40 returning on the promise of our young squad in the short format! clap

Looking to next season the squads coming nicely with the entire core of last season’s squad who were out of contract signing extensions, a couple of academy players (pace man George Edwards and spinner Freddie van den Bergh) signing first professional contracts and of course our big signings Jon Lewis and Murali Kartik.

Concentrating on the biggest news for us - Murali Kartik. Finally a high quality overseas spinner for a full season and will make a huge difference in my humble opinion! Just look at Pragyan Ojha's impact at the end of the season to see what we've been missing and what all fans have been crying out for. As a side effect of this Chris Schofield and Simon King have been released. Whilst Schofield did incredibly well to come back from minor counties and make an (albeit brief) international return, last year he was little more than a lower order slogger and occasional spinner. As for King if he was going to break through it would've happened by now.

So that leaves our squad at the moment as:
Harinath
Lancefield
RHB
Roy king
Ramps
Maynard
Pietersen
Davies
Wilson
Burns
De Bruyn
Jordan
Ansari
Spriegal
Lewis
Dernbach
Tremlett
Linley
Meaker
Dunn
Jewell
Edwards
Kartik
Batty
Van den Bergh

I’m pretty sure that’s everyone and I’ve tried to split that roughly into batsmen (openers first etc), keepers, all-rounder’s, pace men and spinners!

So that’s a squad of 24 with 7 batsmen, 3 keepers, 4 all-rounder’s (that can be debated with this squad though), 7 pace men and 3 spinners. The age of the squad is very good with an average age of just below 27 and 14 players aged 24 or under! Also great to see lots of academy prospects making their mark now.

Taking a more in depth look at the squad we will spend much of the season without KP’s many talents (good and bad that is) and Tremlett will undoubtedly be missing for some of the season due to England duty, the winter tests will tell us how much so however. If Tim Bresnan’s great form continues it may lead to Surreys gain as well as England’s come the summer. Also Dernbach will hopefully continue his development in England’s one day set-up, Gary Wilson will spend some time with Ireland and Steve Davies is only an injury away from the test and one day set-up.

So here’s my County Championship side:

1.RHB
2.Roy
3.Ramps
4.De Bruyn
5.Maynard
6.Davies
7.Batty
8.Lewis/Viscount
9.Dernbach
10.Tremlett
11.Kartik

Not selected KP due to how much he’ll be missing. Not an easy selection at all if (by some miracle) we stay near full strength. Linley,Meaker and Jordan are all very unlucky to miss out. Wouldn’t be a nice feeling leaving the Viscount out after last season but at full strength I just feel 3 quicks with De Bruyn is all we need and it’s hard to look past Tremlett/ Dernbach’s extra pace and Lewis’s experience may give him that spot (though they are similar bowlers).

If KP’s around I would expect Batty to miss out giving us a longer batting line-up and looking to Pietersen/Hyphen for extra spin overs. Will be interesting to see whether we persist with the make-shift openers in Roy and RHB or look to Harinath and Lancefield to take one of those spots!

CB40 side:

1.Roy
2.Davies (wk)
3.RHB (capt
4.Maynard
5.De Bruyn
6.Ramps (unsure whether he’ll play one day)
7.Spriegal
8.Lewis
9.Tremlett
10.Dernbach
11.Kartik

Next in line for batsmen would be Wilson, for spinners Batty and for pace men Meaker.

T20 side would be similar but hard to pick until our second overseas player for it is announced.

So that’s my view on everything but what of everyone else.

And maybe, just maybe depressed might have thought about changing his name by now?! Ale

Cheers KC.

Last edited by king_carlos on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 3 times in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Surrey squad and sides for next season Empty Re: Surrey squad and sides for next season

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:54 am

A very warm welcome back to King Carlos!

The major thing you've missed - whilst obviously dealing with matters of Spanish national importance - is that Depressed has changed his name to MuchHappier. Very Happy

A bonus point by the way for using the trademark logo viz Roy king

Off to work now. Reply fully tonight.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Surrey squad and sides for next season Empty Re: Surrey squad and sides for next season

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:05 pm

welcome back king carlos

Essex squad

James Foster (c)
Ravi Bopara (vc)
Maurice Chambers
Alistair Cook
Michael Comber
Tom Craddock
Ben Foakes
Billy Godleman
David Masters
Jaik Micklelburgh
Tymal Mills
Graham Napier
Mark Pettini
Tim Phillips
Henry Ramsden
Owais Shah
Greg Smith
Ryan Ten Doeschate
reece Topley
Tom Westley
Adam Wheater
Charl Willoughby

CC SIDE:

Cook (Pettini if cook away)
Godleman
Bopara
Shah
Smith
RTD
Fossie (wk)
Napier
Masters
Craddock
Mills

CB40:

Cook (pettini if cook away)
Mickelburgh
Bopara
Shah
RTD
Smith
Fossie (wk)
Phillips
Napier
Masters
Mills

we badly need a spinner for the 4 day game!

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

On the Surrey front, I largely agree with King Carlos, although I think the no. 7 spot is a big issue. None of our top bowlers can bat that high and Jordan can not bat that high with such a weak tail. That leaves Batty or a batsman and IMO any overs that Batty bowls are just ones which are not being bowled by the front line bowlers, and so I would go for Spriegel as he is a proper batsman and he can bowl to a decent standard. Therefore, the side I'd go for:

R Hamilton-Brown (c)
S Davies (wk)
M Ramprakash
Z De Bruyn
T Maynard
J Roy
M Spriegel
C Tremlett
M Kartik
J Dernbach
T Linley

with Meaker next in line for a seamer's spot if there are injuries/England call ups (yes, ahead of Lewis!) and Roy to move up to open if Davies is called up and then Wilson would slot in at 7.

CB40 is a lot easier:

R Hamilton-Brown (c)
S Davies (wk)
J Roy
Z De Bruyn
T Maynard
M Spriegel
G Wilson
G Batty
C Tremlett
M Kartik
J Dernbach

And then as you say, it is hard to pick the T20 side until we know the overseas player.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Thinking about it, I would probably rather see Ansari at 7 in the CB40 line up, ahead of Wilson.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 pm

guildford

Thanks for the welcome and hope your keeping well!

Left the running of Spain to the true king Mr Giles for the time being I'm afraid he gets bored with Warwickshire duty! Good news re MuchHappier though,I guess things truly must be looking up. I wonder whether the Kartik signing may even draw out an OptimisticSurreyFan!

cricketfan90

The batting picks itself for you in both forms really! With Cook there it looks dangerous to say the least! Bopara,Shah and RTD don't look inviting for one day stuff either!

Surprised you've left Charl Willoughby out however. Also does Reece Topley's impact last season not warrant a one day place at least! Got to agree on the spinner issue though,still got your overseas signing to come though mind and Craddock was looking good last season so if he comes through all may be well!

Definitely got options with though bowling however with Smith,RTD and Bopara all in your top 6.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:47 pm

hmmm the bowling is a tricky issue to sort out..the batting picks itself...however we have plenty of quick bowlers, we just lack a match winning spinner...phillips is a very good county one day spinner, but he only got a handful of f/c wickets last season.

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:52 pm

jbd349

I had the same problem re no 7 in both sides! Thats what I meant by thinking Adams may try (again!) to blood Lancefield or Harinath to give us a proper opener and longer batting line-up in CC games.

Thing which turned me to Batty though is that wth Kartik onboard we should be producing turning wickets at the Oval and therefore would want spinners from both ends. Whilst Batty isn't the next Murali he didn't do to badly last season and is the next best spinner we have as of now. Would be good to see RHB bowling more overs again however!

Interesting to see your opinion on Lewis being that far from both sides! Can't realistically see him not getting picked having signed a three year deal especially in one day stuff. Personally think he'll be leading the attack in CB40!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:00 pm

IMO Lewis and Viscount need to play to take the new ball, one of them would have to miss out to accomodate Tremlett if he is available though. Kartik is an obvoius pick although presumably he'll miss the start of the season due to IPL commitments so that gives Batty his place back. Meaker and Dernbach will be the other 2 bowlers used if we go for the 5 man attack I think we need.

Hyphen
Davies
Ramps
Brain
Roy
Maynard
Batty
Meaker
Lewis
Dernbach
Viscount

Looks awfully weak on batting though doesn't it? Perhaps bring Spriegel in as 2nd spinner in place of Dernbach and move everyone down. Going to be a tough team to pick this season if everyone is fit although I'm sure there will be plenty of injuries and call ups to 'help' the selection.

Good to see you back btw King!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Welcome back, too, King Carlos. April suddenly doesn't seem that far away with the restart of Surrey debate in earnest.... Very Happy

I think the Viscount has more than earned the right to be in the starting XI in the cc given his remarkable high level of consistency and achievement through last season. I am really hoping that Meaker will step up a notch or two in terms of consistency.

Spriegel didn't play a single cc match last season despite his strong efforts in the CB40. I would like him to do well but I think to get in the cc XI he is going to have to put in some very strong performances in either CB40 or for the seconds.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:56 am

The King and all,

The squad has a lot of variety and depth. That is necessary but might not turn out to be such a good thing. I'll try to explain.

We need a large squad as we just don't know enough concerning who will be available or, more accurately, unavailable and when. Factor in these possibilities and some of the players who might go missing for a while:

* IPL - Kartik, Dernbach.

* England Test and ODIs - Petersen, Tremlett, Dernbach, Davies.

* England Lions - Roy king , Maynard, Meaker (possibly England ODIs as well).

* Scotland - Wilson.

* Injuries - Ramps, Tremlett and Jordan are now the usual suspects.

* University final term and exams (early season) - Ansari, van den Bergh.

* Being KP - Petersen [ Sorry - cheap shot!]

I'm not saying this will all happen but, as we don't and can't know for sure, it's right that Adams prepares for such scenarios. For once, I very much sympathise with him.

The other extreme is that there won't be that many calls leaving the larder over filled and too many decent players - paricularly seam bowlers - regressing or not developing further due to the absence of first team opportunities.

All very difficult to call at this stage. We'll clearly need to see how things unravel. Whatever happens, I find it hard to see more than very limited opportunities this coming season for Dunn, Edwards and Jewell. There are plenty ahead of them in the pecking order even though we don't who of those will be starting and missing out. I hope Adams considers trying to send youngsters like these three out on loan to a Division Two County Championship side to get first team playing experience. That should be better for them than continually playing second eleven games and should also ultimately benefit us.

I agree that the number seven role is so very important. It's too long a tail for my liking with Batty at seven and Lewis at eight followed by two other seamers and Kartik. I follow the Corporal's thinking about playing Spriegel there. However, do we even need a support spinner in April and May? Maybe an extra batsman or seamer instead. If Jordan is fit and on form, he would bring much needed balance; however, it's a big ''if''.

I hope you're right about Kartik, King Carlos. I'm twitchy we may have bought a decent player but one past his ''sell by'' date. Let's hope I'm just being paranoid following the Arafat experience.

Whoever plays, the start to the CC season will be crucial. We finished last season in excellent form. However, we started it poorly - two draws and a defeat from the first three games when we were on top at times in each. I don't expect Division One to allow us so much opportunity to turn things around.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative. It's not really meant to be. I am definitely looking forward to the new season. I just feel there are going to be quite a few issues and that we can't properly deal with them until we know exactly what they are. Good fun speculating though! Very Happy

PS King and all Surrey supporters - please keep a close eye on the Hall of Fame thread. Input from everyone on Peter May will be needed in the very near future. Not trying to influence you, just alert you to something concerning one of Surrey and England's greatest ever batsmen and captains. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:33 am

Hi all!

Corporal - Couldn't agree more about april suddenly not feeling such a long time away!

Didn't realise Dernbach had an IPL contract Guildford! If that's case and he keeps his place in the one day set-up we'll effectively have an interchange between Tremlett and Dernbach for the season. One goes another arrives. Of course this is speculating that they are fit and big Chris is playing tests. A lot of speculation basically! Headscratch

Think everyone's got the same selection issues. Lots of seamers to chose from and a batsmen short.

The Oval pitches will be important this season. Make a batsmens paradise it allows us to pick the extra bowler (probably a spinner) to make up for being an established batsmen short - seems likely to happen but will produce draws. Poor way to play cricket in my opinion!

Say we produce a wicket with more in it for the bowlers (either spin or pace) we could put Harinath or Lancefield up top of the order have 3 seamers and Zander then Kartik and RHB.

Personally I'd go with the following in this case. If KP's around he'd slot in at 4 with a rejig and Lancefield dropping out.

1.Lancefield
2.Roi the boy king
3.Ramps the Gramps
4.Maynard
5.RHB
6.Davies
7.Zander
8.Lewis/Viscount
9.Tremlett
10.Dernbach
11.Kartik

Hate not mentioning Viscount so put him in contention for new ball spot alongside Tremlett. As explained above more likely for it to be Lewis,Viscount and one of Tremlett/Dernbach by looks of things!

Guildford - on Kartik I had the similar symptoms of Yasir Fever when I first heard about the signing but thinking into it I realised I can't think of spinner in county cricuit that I'd rather have whose available for the whole season! Monty's become more consistent but not as good in field or one day stuff. Keedy of course was excellent last year but still I stand by the above statement!

Last edited by king_carlos on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:40 am

cricketfan90

Yes you guys have the similar problem to us of lots of fast bowlers and not sure what to do with them! Best you can hope for the younger players long term future (such as Dunn,Jewell and Edwards at Surrey) is they find a suitable club to play on loan for. Much better in the county circuit plying their trade for a club short of bowlers than stuck bout 6,7,8 in the pecking order at home.

Whilst I'm a big fan of Tim Phillips one day bowling got to agree he hasn't got the weapons to take wickets in FC cricket. Craddock looks a great talent though as said before and good thing about leg spinners is they tend to take wickets. What sort of pitches are you tending to get in Chelmsford these days?!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:53 am

King Carlos - to reassure you a bit about Dernbach and the IPL, that was only speculation I've heard.

I agree with the Corporal that the Viscount deserves to start. However, with Lewis having to be seen to be earning his 3 year contract (I don't agree with that but feel it'll be the case) and all the others possibly available and in contention, I can see Viscount being a fall guy. If so, a Division Two CC side like Derbys - where he's had success more than once - would surely be mega keen to take him on loan and give him the Tiflex ball.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:15 pm

king_carlos wrote:cricketfan90

Yes you guys have the similar problem to us of lots of fast bowlers and not sure what to do with them! Best you can hope for the younger players long term future (such as Dunn,Jewell and Edwards at Surrey) is they find a suitable club to play on loan for. Much better in the county circuit plying their trade for a club short of bowlers than stuck bout 6,7,8 in the pecking order at home.

Whilst I'm a big fan of Tim Phillips one day bowling got to agree he hasn't got the weapons to take wickets in FC cricket. Craddock looks a great talent though as said before and good thing about leg spinners is they tend to take wickets. What sort of pitches are you tending to get in Chelmsford these days?!

batting pitches unfortunately.

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 pm

Guildford - has Wilson transferred his loyalties from Ireland to Scotland? Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:20 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Guildford - has Wilson transferred his loyalties from Ireland to Scotland? Very Happy

Doh

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:17 am

someone like ojha would fit perfectly into the essex side Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:03 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:someone like ojha would fit perfectly into the essex side Wink

He'd probably fit into most sides....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:42 pm

yes but our one most of all Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 pm

Calling all Surrey posters and readers! Make sure that you read the 606v2 "Hall of Fame" thread (Part II) in which the great Peter May is one of a batch of five players under consideration for entry to this hallowed institution. You don't need to be biased in favour of Surrey to appreciate the greatness of the man who averaged 54 in his 41 tests as England captain. Very Happy The chance to vote probably only lasts for another 10 days or so. thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:41 pm

thought you might advertise about peter may corporal Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:08 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:thought you might advertise about peter may corporal Hug

Cf - thumbsup But no misleading propaganda which could bring HoF into disrepute. Just the plain facts Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:12 pm

i know mate, im messing with ya Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:24 am

Folks - there's a lovely 3 or 4 minute fun item clip on the Surrey website of the Viscount bowling to Mark Church in the indoor nets at the Oval. I don't think we'll be signing Churchy up but he comes out of it very well on all levels! clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:37 am

essex have announced the signing of Ojha as their overseas for the new season Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:essex have announced the signing of Ojha as their overseas for the new season Smile
Where is the announcement? Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:11 pm

oh sorry i thought if i said it enough times it might happen :P

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Just seven weeks today

Surrey have arranged a two day pre-season away fixture against Essex at the People's Republic of Chelmsford commencing Wednesday 21st March. Format of game still to be determined.

This is followed by a four day friendly away to Somerset and then a three dayer at the Oval against Leeds/Bradford MCCU commencing Saturday 31st March. This last game before the start of the CC season is afforded first class status. I don't suppose even a fit again Ramps could try for a thousand runs before the end of April?! Very Happy

Meanwhile, Stuart Meaker has returned from the England Lions' tour of Sri Lanka with an injured lower back and joins Chris Tremlett on the physio's couch. Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:09 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Just seven weeks today

Surrey have arranged a two day pre-season away fixture against Essex at the People's Republic of Chelmsford commencing Wednesday 21st March.
Surrey squad and sides for next season 1054138444

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:57 pm

guildfordbat wrote: Meanwhile, Stuart Meaker has returned from the England Lions' tour of Sri Lanka with an injured lower back and joins Chris Tremlett on the physio's couch. Shocked
May be just as well we signed Lewis as it looks like we could have enough crocks to stock a potting shed...or is it a china shop? Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 am

cant wait for the new season...

and himm intresting pre-season game against surrey boxing

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 am

cricketfan90 wrote:cant wait for the new season...

and himm intresting pre-season game against surrey boxing

Yep. Thought that would catch your interest, CF. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:25 am

at fortress chelmsford Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 am

cricketfan90 wrote:at fortress chelmsford Wink

I'll remind any Surrey supporters going to take their passports! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:32 am

haha

i will try and get to that game if im not working Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Mixed News

The usually reliable cricket journalist Richard Spiller makes some interesting points in today's Surrey Advertiser.

Of most concern, Chris Tremlett is to see two specialists about the recurrence of his back problems prior to possible sugery. Unlike other reporters who have referred to the possibility of Tremlett being out of action for three months, Spiller makes no comment as to how long Tremlett might be missing. I do though think it telling that Spiller refers to matters as 'particularly worrying'.

In contrast, early indications are that Stuart Meaker's lower back injury is 'not too serious'. It seems realistic to hope that he will be fit for the start of the new season.

Murali Kartik seems certain to miss the opening weeks of the season due to his IPL involvement. Exactly how much playing time he will miss is currently unknown. As a contingency, Surrey are considering an approach to South Africa's leg spinner Imran Tahir.

I've been keen on Imran Tahir for some time. Hope that comes off.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:43 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Mixed News

The usually reliable cricket journalist Richard Spiller makes some interesting points in today's Surrey Advertiser.

Of most concern, Chris Tremlett is to see two specialists about the recurrence of his back problems prior to possible sugery. Unlike other reporters who have referred to the possibility of Tremlett being out of action for three months, Spiller makes no comment as to how long Tremlett might be missing. I do though think it telling that Spiller refers to matters as 'particularly worrying'.

In contrast, early indications are that Stuart Meaker's lower back injury is 'not too serious'. It seems realistic to hope that he will be fit for the start of the new season.

Murali Kartik seems certain to miss the opening weeks of the season due to his IPL involvement. Exactly how much playing time he will miss is currently unknown. As a contingency, Surrey are considering an approach to South Africa's leg spinner Imran Tahir.

I've been keen on Imran Tahir for some time. Hope that comes off.

tahir wants to come to essex boxing

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:36 am

So with Tremlett out and possibly Meaker as well, who are we looking at as our, more than likely, 5 man attack?

Jordan/Ansari
Kartik
Lewis
Dernbach
Linley

Something like that I imagine.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:39 pm

so does the signing of kartik, and the emergence of ansari, spell the end for batty?

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Carrotdude wrote:So with Tremlett out and possibly Meaker as well, who are we looking at as our, more than likely, 5 man attack?

Jordan/Ansari
Kartik
Lewis
Dernbach
Linley

Something like that I imagine.

Hi Carrot - that might be the case in the second half of the season but we'll be missing Ansari (summer term at university and exams before joining up) and Kartik (IPL) in the opening weeks when a disproportionately high amount of CC cricket is schheduled. Best hope no more injuries ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:41 pm

We still have Batty, Clive and Jordan but hopefully Meaker will be back at the start of the season.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Evening all,

So as already mentioned Tremlett and Meaker both on the physio table, Tremlett following surgery. Haven't heard much on either injury and expected return dates. Especially odd for Tremlett as England management usually give expected return date pretty fast these days.

On a brighter note Dirk Nannes has re-signed as second overseas palyer for T20. An excellent T20 bowler no doubt but not quite in line with the experienced batsmen I think most of us were hoping for!

Allows us to select our T20 sides though so here it goes!

1.RHB
2.Davies
3.Roy
4.Maynard
5.ZDB
6.Spriegal
7.Ansari
8.Lewis
9.Kartik
10.Dernbach
11.Nannes

If KP is around (looking more likely on current England form!) he'd slip in for Ansari or Spriegal and batting order would re-jig. As said bowling looks quite strong, I've left Tremlett out due to the injury and probable time in England set-up.

On the championship side planning for not having Tremlett and Meaker it's looking fortunate we've got a lot of seamers in the ranks. Pessimism on the injuries I know but hope for the best, plan for worse!

With that I'd go for:

1.Lancefield
2.Roy
3.Ramps
4.Maynard
5.Zander
6.Davies
7.RHB
8.Lewis
9.Viscount
10.Kartik
11.Dernbach

I know I've changed my mind with the batting from the original article but I've convinced myself we're going to produce pitches with more in it for the bowlers and play an extra batsmen! Headscratch

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:27 pm

The signing of Rudolph raises a few questions about our side for the start of the season. Last year we consistently went for 5 bowlers and our regular top 6 of RHB/Davies/Ramps/Brain/Maynard/Roy. So where does Rudolph fit in? Presumably he'll open so either a batsman misses out (Roy?) or we go with 4 bowlers + the Brain. Apparently Davies will miss the first Championship game of the season due to being in the England Test squad for Sri Lanka so we'll definitely have to go with 7 batsmen including Wilson imo. It leaves us somewhere like this:

Rudolph
Hyphen
Ramps
Brain
Maynard
Roy
Wilson
Batty
Dernbach
Lewis
Viscount

When Davies is back I could see him and Meaker coming in for Roy and Wilson although that makes our 8-11 very very week batting wise. Interesting dilemmas ahead.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi Carrotdude

Good signing given the circumstances I think! Yes I'd rather have Kartik at the start of the season but given how Roy and Hyphen struggle to work out whether it's a 20/20 or CC game when opening Rudolphs presence could be a great thing for first few games in 1st division.

Hadn't thought about that with Davies but looking at tour dates it's spot on. Haven't checked Ireland games for Wilson actually but guess he's available.

That considered I'd go for the same 11 as yourself till Davies returns.

Once Davies is back I'll stick to the albeit strange ideas of my previous post that we're going to make more bowler friendly pitches and play 7 batsmen including keeper so Davies would simply switch in for Wilson.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 am

I think 4 bowlers plus the Brain should be sufficient (Hyphen can bowl too). Harsh on whoever misses out bowling wise though.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 am

Yes this was my view that we should use 3 seamers + the Brain and 1 specialist spinner + Hyphen. That's why the Kartik signing excited me so much as it allows us to do this comfortably!

Will be hard on many who miss out from seamers at full strength though!

Tremlett
Dernbach
Viscount
Lewis
Meaker
Jordan
Dunn

All excellent bowlers on their day and have proven it in CC already! Obviously injuries will happen (already have looking at Tremlett and Meaker) but the likes of Jewell and Edwards will likely need to look for a loan club or bide their time in the 2nds.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down