The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement?

+15
Pal Joey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
msp83
Liam_Main
Mad for Chelsea
hodge
Shelsey93
skyeman
JDizzle
amanuensis
Mike Selig
Fists of Fury
Gregers
jbd349
Duty281
19 posters

Go down

Bresnan's Replacement

Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement? Vote_lcap33%Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 7 ]
Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement? Vote_lcap0%Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement? Vote_lcap62%Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement? Vote_rcap 62% 
[ 13 ]
Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement? Vote_lcap5%Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 21

Poll closed

Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement? Empty Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement?

Post by Duty281 Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Finn, Tremlett (if fit, currently has eye infection), Onions or someone else. Personally, I'd go for Tremlett.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement? Empty Re: Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement?

Post by jbd349 Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Tremlett, or Finn of he doesn't recover

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement? Empty Re: Who would you pick as Bresnan's Replacement?

Post by Gregers Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:32 pm

Panesar, gives us a second spin option which I think we need against Pakistan

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Wouldn't go in with two seamers only, Gregers, given our lack of all-rounders. Likewise, I wouldn't go in with 5 bowlers, particularly without Bresnan, as the batting would suddenly look very fragile after the top 6. Can't see any way to fit Monty in I'm afraid, and I'd choose Finn in Bresnan's place, based on recent form and his recent surge in pace, it may help to take dead tracks out of the equation.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Straight shoot-out Finn vs Tremlett in final warm-up game. Tremlett is the man in possession so Finn has to bowl well to oust him.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by amanuensis Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Bopara & Panesar could replace Morgan & Bresnan. I'm not a fan of the Essex man, but he's a better bowler than either Trott or Pietersen.

amanuensis

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Finn, all the way. He could be something special. And I think the decision will be made easier by the fact Tremlett's main asset of bounce will be subdued somewhat by the "dead" pitches they will play on and although Finn relies on bounce he has the extra pace to trouble the batsmen aswell.

The only way England would consider playing two spinners would be in a 5 bowler attack, and that is unlikely to happen without Bresnan, as like Fists points out, the batting begins to look a little weak then.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Tremlett for me, the more accurate of the two.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Amanuensis, despite Morgan failing in the first warm up he is a player that we will need against the slow bowlers of Pakistan, so I wouldn't even consider leaving him out. Our top 7 picks itself, and I'd suggest the only issue is Finn or Tremlett. Agree with Mike actually - straight shoot out would be best.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Tremlett may be more accurate, but we saw in Australia last winter that Anderson can keep the runs down on flat pitches and Broad was going t just over 2 an over when he had to leave the tour of Aus so he can keep the runs down aswell. So I would go with Finn as I think he is the best wicket taking option of the two.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Actually either would be fine with me, both have their strong points.

The warm-up game as stated will decide a lot.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by amanuensis Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Fists of Fury

I'd love to know what claims of Morgan's prowess against quality test spin are based on. For Wednesday:

Strauss/Cook, Trott, Bell, Pietersen, Morgan, Bopara, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson & Panesar

That would give them a chance to see a different team balance & put pressure on Morgan.

amanuensis

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Tremlett if fully recovered from eye infection - Man of the Series in last full series he played and starred in Australia. Could still cause Pakistani batsmen some problems with bouce even in the UAE

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Finn was out standout player against India in the ODI series thought, much more recently than Tremlett had his impact and this was on pitches that will be similar to what they enounter in the UAE.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:48 pm

has to be Finn for me, could be a major player for England if given the chances, rapid pace he has now consistently and good at getting the wickets which is what a bowler is put in the side to do.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:48 pm

I cant believe I'm saying this but I think the side is more balanced with Bopara at 6 (when Bresnan is injured). I honestly believe we need two spinners for this tour and with Bopara as the 5th bowler it gives us the luxury to do that.

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:56 pm

I don't know Gregers, the UAE wickets don't really spin that much so I think it's unlikely England will go in with two spinners. Much more likely they'll stick to their tried and tested balance, and rely on reverse swing and accurate pressure-building bowling (same as they did in Aus). I don't think Bopara is either a good enough bat or a good enough third seamer for tests personally.

Morgan is England's best player of spin in ODIs and there's no reason he can't transfer that form to test level. In fact in his test career so far he's hardly ever got out to spin IIRC (Ajmal got him once I think, possibly got out to spin vs Bangladesh or SL too, pretty sure only the seamers got his wicket against India).

I'd go with Finn who I see as being a special talent, but not too fussed if Tremlett gets in instead. In fact I've just re-watched highlights of last winter's boxing day Ashes test, and Tremlett bowled remarkably well in the second innings on a pitch which had flattened out considerably (without luck).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:12 pm

I guess that in turns raises an interesting question of Swann or Panesar. Monty was in the form of his life last season whereas Swann was noticeably quiet last summer.

Swann for the first test, if not very economical then chuck monty in

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by amanuensis Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Mad for Chelsea

You do realise who bowled "spin" for India this summer?

amanuensis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Harbajan, Mishra, Yuvraj Singh, Raina. Sure, not the best spin attack, but like I said he only got out to Ajmal on one occasion the previous summer as well. I agree this is the series he needs to start delivering though.

Gregers, Swann struggled on unhelpful pitches. When the Oval gave him a bit he bagged nine wickets. Still a much better option than Panesar.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Oh come on! England have built their success recently (partly) on consistent selection. Drop Swann? Seriously? He'd need to have a whole poor series before I even considered the idea. Quite aside from being England's best spinner by a distance (and he has ALWAYS produced match-winning performances when presented with a helpful deck - for recent examples see India at the Oval, SL at Cardiff and Aus at Adelaide - whereas where Monty failed was to do the same on at least two occasions - including against South Africa when Smith made 150odd) he is one of the top two spinners in the world.

I don't know why everyone's so keen to change the England side. Bopara as a bowler? He'll bowl the odd over, and maybe get the odd wicket, but that's about it. I doubt he can bowl the 10-15 overs a day we'd need from our 3rd seamer. He certainly won't score many runs at 6. He's also a poor fielder.

Whether they pick Tremlett or Finn, I don't really mind. Both have their strengths, Tremlett looked the more complete bowler, but those who know a fair amount about such things (namely JD and MfC) have extoled the virtues of Finn in India (I admit to watching little of the series). I suspect England are leaning towards Tremlett (as the man in possession) but if Finn performs brilliantly in the final warm-up he'll get his chance. They may well consider Panesar if it's an absolute dustbowl (Pakistan unlike their neighbors don't seem to play spin all that well).

I would however be astonished if England made any other changes from the team which demolished India.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Mike hits the nail firmly on the head I think. Tremlett is probably still the man in possession, and TBH I don't really care that much who gets the nod. It's very possible they'll both play a part at some stage anyway I'd have thought, as it's pretty much three back-to-back tests so resources will be tested on both sides.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Tremlett for me, didn't do alot wrong before he was dropped. Panesar and play two spinners is another option though.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Yeah, although I would like Finn to play for the reasons I've stated that I think he could be a special, special bowler for England it is a great position to be in where one of their first choice seamers is injured and it doesn't matter who they bring in. Such that a proven test performer like Onions doesn't get a single vote is superb for the health of English quick bowling.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:43 pm

has to be finn

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Woakes could be a shock call up. Would offer a third seamer option as well as something with the bat

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:53 pm

woakes wont get called up....

they arelady have:

anderson
Broad
Finn
Tremlett
Onions

no point in having 6 quicks out there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Im just saying cf, I think we need an allrounder

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:01 pm

i no mate im just saying it wont happen, they wont take him out there when we have 5 bowlers...i can see where your coming from but it wont happen mate.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 am

On flat track, its pace, real good pace that might bring wickets for England.
Tremlett is quick enough, and he puts the ball in good areas consistently. Finn has added some more yards of pace, but is not quite consistent with his line and length. so, Tremlett for me, won't be complaining too much if Finn gets the nod though.
Another name doing the rounds is that of Graeme Onions. I think Tremlett and Finn should be ahead in the pecking order though.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 am

IMO

Finn should play...tremeltt back up to him, onions back up to both.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:22 am

Tremlett and Onions both are playing the warm up match, as is Panesar. If Onions does something big here, he should also be in with a fair chance.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:26 am

Although Anderson bowled superbly in Australia by taking wickets and keeping the runs down, the UAE wickets will not offer the bounce and pace that was available downunder. Even in Australia, Finn went for a fair few. Tremlett, by being more consistent at good pace, should be an even greater challenge.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:33 am

Right now Id go with a batsman and hope 3 bowlers can do the job if they have more than 200 runs to defend

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Not much in it with the Tremlett/Finn vote, either will be ok.

Who was the one vote for other and why Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:16 pm

I cant see Tremlett not getting picked ahead of Finn, even if Finns showing good signs in the warmups. Tremletts angle causes problems even on pitches which dont offer much bounce, and the difference in pace isnt much. Finns still got questions to answer on his endurance and accuracy too. Hes perhaps unfortunat eto have come along at at a time England are blessed with a solid stable of seamers and have stayed fairly injury free.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:02 am

Voted for Chris Tremlett. I just think he has a touch more guile, shape and accuracy, whereas Finn has more pace but is an excellent bowler too. Either way - I wish both bowlers the best of luck in the upcoming Tests.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Covering a couple of eventualities....

If the wickets are dry and flat with little bounce I'd pick Panesar . Otherwise if the Dubai wickets are quicker with a bit more carry then I would select Chris Tremlett. So I've voted for him.

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:07 pm

I'd say go with Panesar. He's in form and looks fitter these days.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:36 pm

IMO its out of Finn or Panesar

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1uk Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:44 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:IMO its out of Finn or Panesar

so tremlett it is then Whistle

rich1uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:45 pm

rich1uk wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:IMO its out of Finn or Panesar

so tremlett it is then Whistle

boxing probably Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:47 pm

or Finn or Monty.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:07 pm

it will be finny or monty, although some reports saying monty has already been told he is playing...

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:18 pm

That's great. So he's ahead of Swanny... or they're going with 2 spinners?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:19 pm

i think 2 spinners, he wouldnt be ahead of swanny just yet...although swanny needs a rocket up his arse, he has been very complacent since he was viewed as the no1 spinner in world cricket.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Has he been doing his video diary... or his he been told to put his camera away for the time being? Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:40 pm

first i clicked finn, but im now thinking monty should play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:07 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i think 2 spinners, he wouldnt be ahead of swanny just yet...although swanny needs a rocket up his arse, he has been very complacent since he was viewed as the no1 spinner in world cricket.

Really? In what way?

Because I don't view bowling your side to victory on the only 3 pitches which have even looked like they thought about turning complacent personally...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:26 am

27 wickets in 2011 at 34 from only 8 games isn't too shabby... if it is down on his returns from the previous 12 months that is partly due to the fast bowlers generally not leaving him much , and partly to the fact that 4 matches were against India , who can still play spin rather well despite their other failures.

I think the "complacency" theory is largely derived from his output on "Twitter" - and I fancy the words "tongue in cheek" are appropriate in that area...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down