The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dai Greene - Olympic Prospects

+3
djlovesyou
davidl1061
Mad for Chelsea
7 posters

Go down

Dai Greene - Olympic Prospects Empty Dai Greene - Olympic Prospects

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:22 am

Well the first of what I imagine will be the start of many articles concerning athletics has appeared on the Beeb, this time concerning Dai Greene: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/16373463.stm

Now I, personally, have a lot of admiration for Dai. He strikes me as a very committed, driven and hard working guy, who doesn't get involved with anything on the periphery. For him it's all about his running and hurdling, and I really like that.

I know his winning of the World Champs was in a relatively slow time, but I know he's capable of running a lot quicker, but do you guys reckon he's able to string out fast times consecutively across a tournament? (as is mentioned being needed at the end of the article)

Another point, do you think the media focus will get too much for him? I'd like to think not. Dai seems to have a very wise head on young shoulders, and I hope he managed to keep himself focused and out of the spotlight. One of my biggest fears for the Olympics is how the British media is going to do its best to sabotage it anyway it can.

Do you all think Dai will be able to escape that, focus just on himself, and get himself to the final, and a possible (hopefully!) Gold medal? I think any medal would be fantastic for him, but Gold...that would be incredible.

For me, for him to be within a chance of Gold, he needs to start running faster a lot more consistantly.

Back to top Go down

Dai Greene - Olympic Prospects Empty Re: Dai Greene - Olympic Prospects

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:15 pm

times don't mean much in major championships. There was something about Dai throughout the worlds that just said he couldn't/wouldn't be beaten (the semi-final run I remember being so impressive - I think the French expert Stephane Diagana picked him for the title then). Certainly he's capable of running much faster than he did then, and I'd be very surprised if the British record didn't fall this year.

Not sure about your last sentence, Dai last year ran very consistently, pretty much always around the 48.2/3 mark which are still very good times. Sure he needs to be maybe looking at going under 48 secs more regularly, but as I said, times aren't the be-all and end-all of major champs, it's more about getting through the rounds with enough energy to compete at your best in the final, particularly in such a tough event.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:41 pm

I think because it is such a strong event, I would rather he be able to run faster (sub 48) more consistently. He's likely to be up against a whole lineup of runners who are more then capable of running sub 48, and for me, Dai hasn't done it often enough in his career for me to trust he can put in a performance like that when it matters, and in the Olympics, if not in the final, he might still have to do it in the heats. You never know, then again, it might be a relatively "slow" tournament, I'd just rather he covers all bases!

I know what you mean about Dai in the worlds though. He just seemed so determined and assured, you just didn't think he'd lose. Tis a bit odd that for a British athlete to be like that in recent times!

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:52 pm

Tournament running is not about running quick. As long as he is running good tactical races and qualifying for the next round without taking to much out of him I dont see any reason why he cant win. He has become a very consistent performer on the top stage and can see him doing well again this year

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

He just needs to run well enough in the semi in order to keep out of the inside lane. The round (s) prior to that he should be able to cruise through.

Then I feel he'll have as good a chance as any. He seems to have good mental strength in tough situations, and a number of his competitors seem to be the opposite.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:26 pm

I know tournament running isn't always about running quick, I'd just rather he have the ability to consistently do it in his armoury is all, couldn't hurt, surely?

I'm always weary come the Olympics, you always get some shock results, an athlete putting in the performance of their career, and I'd rather Dai be equipped better to cope with it should that happen.

Agree with you dj, that he seem to have the mental edge over some of is rivals. It's definitely a part of his race attitude that I really like about him.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:26 am

I think Dai is primarily a racer rather than one who chases times...

Last year I had the feeling he would run as fast as he needed to get the Gold ...might have to be quicker this year but I think he is well aware of that. And capable of it.

Have seen a few hurdlers who run a lot of fast times especially early in a season but couldn't quite produce the goods at mayor championships. (Van Zyl to an extent , Rawlinson a few years ago , for example)

Olympics is of course very tough , but I think Greene's mental attitude is just what is needed for the task. As long as he stays fit , I like his chances.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:32 pm

I think Alfie has put his finger on it very well. Dai seems to be an out and out racer. Times for him will always be secondary to scalps.

He seems to have great mental strength with obviously a huge will to win. In his buildup he has that ability to go into a zone and not be distracted by anything around him.

Having said that, there have been enough suprises over the years to know that nothing is ever guaranteed. Look at what happened in the men's triple jump last year. Philips had an outstanding series but at the end of the day he lost to someone who jumped out of their skin. Same thing could happen in Dai's event but that would need to be around 47.5 to deny Dai that gold.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 5:51 pm

dreamer

"but I know he's capable of running a lot quicker"

How do you know?
What time did you have in mind?

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Jan 2012, 4:39 pm

osprey - I think I should have put an and, and not a but before that sentence! Would have got my point across better (that I know he's capable of running a lot quicker then the time he won the world champs in!)

But thinking about it, I do believe him capable of running quicker, certainly breaking the british record anyway. He's got all the atributes to do it imo. Consistancy is key for me though, and Dai's one of the most consistent out there. I think things are all looking good for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sun 22 Jan 2012, 5:55 pm

Have to agree about Dai's 'mental edge' - always good to see fast times, and when an athlete we support puts in a good time, then that builds confidence; but Dai only needs to maintain that mental edge, so if a competitor is putting in a fast run, Dai still favourite - and then we got our fast time...it will come if its needed...

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Jan 2012, 6:00 pm

a good read this, and touching on a lot of the points we've been discussing here already: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyce/2012/01/i_try_to_forget_im_the_best_in.html

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Tue 24 Jan 2012, 6:57 pm

Read this today and shows his development, really looking forward to seeing how he does

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down