The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which boxer is most adept at fighting with his hands down?

+15
md_fan
kevchadders
RatBoy66
Youarethegreatest
Sir. badgerhands
eddyfightfan
Gentleman01
ArchBritishchris
coxy0001
Lumbering_Jack
Bob
Adam D
BALTIMORA
azania
D4thincarnation
19 posters

Go down

Which boxer is most adept at fighting with his hands down? Empty Which boxer is most adept at fighting with his hands down?

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Watching Martinez last weekend I noticed how much he drops his hands, not just to show boat as some fighters down but as part of his tactics and style.

RJJ used to do this a lot, Ali, Hamed, and a host of other fighters, but who was the best at it?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Which boxer is most adept at fighting with his hands down? Empty Re: Which boxer is most adept at fighting with his hands down?

Post by azania Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:52 pm

RJJ fought with his hands behind his back. I'll go for RJJ.

azania

Back to top Go down

Which boxer is most adept at fighting with his hands down? Empty Re: Which boxer is most adept at fighting with his hands down?

Post by BALTIMORA Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Is the answer Manny Flip Pacquiao?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 pm

The one that springs to mind for me when I read it (but obviously not considered an all time great) was Chris Eubank.

I would also say that Haye does it a little now (well he did in the Valuev fight)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Hobo wrote:The one that springs to mind for me when I read it (but obviously not considered an all time great) was Chris Eubank.

I would also say that Haye does it a little now (well he did in the Valuev fight)

They don't have to be a ATG just be great at fighting with there hands down.

A lot of fighters do it for a bit to show boat, but Martinez does this for almost all the fight.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Froch walks around with his hands in his pockets at times.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Bob wrote:Froch walks around with his hands in his pockets at times.

Yeah he has his left hand down all the time. Kessler took advantage of this and caught him to the body more than a few times when they fought.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Jones of the recent era, Ali from times gone by.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Nate Campbell, not wait he got sparked when he showboated

I'll go for Mayorga giving free shots to Vargas (i think) who wasn't exactly Malignaggi when it came to punching power.

I give it 15 more comments before this gets hijacked by the OP

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Pacquiao doesn't fight with his hands down, its more out fighters who use the technique than pressure fighters. Technically, a number of the Cuban counter punches keep their hands down for periods, Rigondeaux, Kid Chocolate, etc.

Fellow Dundee coached, Ray Leonard, was a similar hands low fighter to later era Ali. When on the outside he kept his hands low, but if receiving pressure he put them back up. Willie Pep relied on quick and sublime movement rather than a high guard.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 am

I would say Gene Tunney is the most effective fighter to box with his hands down. He did this quite often throughout his career to draw leads and then counter, most notably in his fights with Dempsey, he had Jack leaning and swinging and he countered him all night...

Also think Philadelphia Jack O'Brian might be worth a mention. Supposedly he used to box with his hands low as he believed that having his hands low made it easier to move his head.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:11 am

prince naseem did this all the time

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:30 am

coxy0001 wrote:Nate Campbell, not wait he got sparked when he showboated

I'll go for Mayorga giving free shots to Vargas (i think) who wasn't exactly Malignaggi when it came to punching power.

I give it 15 more comments before this gets hijacked by the OP
***********************************************************************************************
I remember Mayorga doing that against Forrest also!

Dropped his hands and stuck his chin out, a risky business and no mistake.

RJJ for me in his pomp, his hands barely went above chest height.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:43 am

eddyfightfan wrote:prince naseem did this all the time

NAZ!!! Good call. What an immensely smug little turd he was, but my god if he didn't have reason to be so.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:57 am

can remember him falling face first when he was flipping into the ring..... bet he wishes he had his hands up then....

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:07 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:can remember him falling face first when he was flipping into the ring..... bet he wishes he had his hands up then....

I'd love to see a link for that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Youarethegreatest Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Vitali does this alot. great skill to have

Youarethegreatest

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:31 pm

i'll get one for it later. but im at work at the moment- think it might be on youtube

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Herol Graham

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Kirkland Laing deserves a mention but it cost him on more than one occasion.

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Didn't Ivan Drago do it briefly in Rocky IV?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 pm

calzage as well

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:09 pm

Youarethegreatest wrote:Vitali does this alot. great skill to have

If he faces Haye i can imagine his hands being a little highter! Wink

DAVE667 wrote:Herol Graham

Yeah that was the one that first sprung to mind... gets messy when they lose there reactions.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:21 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Didn't Ivan Drago do it briefly in Rocky IV?

He did have his right hand cocked waiting for the signal.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:51 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:

I thought there was a scene where he had his hands down doing a bit of showboating in his stiff upright European style.

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:55 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

I thought there was a scene where he had his hands down doing a bit of showboating in his stiff upright European style.

Are you talking when he fights Apollo, he has his hands down, not defending himself but has he right hand cocked back ready for the signal. It was meant to be an exhibition. boxing

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Watched Calzaghe vs Roy Jones Junior the other night. I though the hands down showboating by Calzaghe was disrespectful to Jones but aside from that he couldn't really pull it off and look cool. He looked awkward, ridiculous and a bit glaikit to be honest. He was a great boxer but this was unecessary and did him no favours.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Why is showboating direspectful when Calzaghe does it, but great when RJJ does it?

Boxing Challenges

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:50 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

Are you talking when he fights Apollo, he has his hands down, not defending himself but has he right hand cocked back ready for the signal. It was meant to be an exhibition. boxing
I can't remember and can't really see myself watching it again just to clarify but I thought there was a point when he had Apollo hurt and decided to try a bit showboating to show how superior he was which....was far removed from what the American's expected.

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:55 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

I can't remember and can't really see myself watching it again just to clarify but I thought there was a point when he had Apollo hurt and decided to try a bit showboating to show how superior he was which....was far removed from what the American's expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEtJ0GiOp64

Here you go.

He started off just given Apollo free shots.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:10 pm

I see what you mean 2nd round both hands down by his side.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Thank you!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Funny how Apollo just takes a few slaps and dies and Rocky takes 15 rounds worth of them....

Me I wanted Drago to win and defend against Clubber..Wanted the three kryptonians to do Superman too...

Sure they would sort Gaddafi out.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:19 pm

GeoffSnapes wrote:Why is showboating direspectful when Calzaghe does it, but great when RJJ does it?

Boxing Challenges

Don't mean to imply that I approve showboating from anyone. Just thought that this behaviour did not suit Calzaghe at all. Ali could pull it off but not many others.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 pm

gta be ali or more recently hamed b4 he changed his 1st trainer

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:01 am

md_fan wrote:
GeoffSnapes wrote:Why is showboating direspectful when Calzaghe does it, but great when RJJ does it?

Boxing Challenges

Don't mean to imply that I approve showboating from anyone. Just thought that this behaviour did not suit Calzaghe at all. Ali could pull it off but not many others.

Have to agree with Geoff on this one, Jones throughout his career showed now respect to his sub par opposition yet when Calzaghe does it to him it's not acceptable, don't understand that logic at all

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down