The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashley Beck

+19
Higher_Ground
Cymroglan
CurlyOsp
Looseheaded
taffbornnbred
gowales
APrice
glamorganalun
Morgannwg
Taffineastbourne
Pot Noodle Miner
Messymesina
LiziDragons
dublin_dave
Gatts
Knowsit17
maestegmafia
Shifty
mckay1402
23 posters

Go down

Ashley Beck Empty Ashley Beck

Post by mckay1402 Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Without wanting to create a bandwagon I have thought for a couple of years that it would only be a matter of time before Ashley Beck made a case for Wales honours and he is certainly putting his hand up lately. I would love to see him get some game time in this six nations. He looks strong, fast and has an eye for the line and good hands. could be a winner.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Ashley Beck Empty Re: Ashley Beck

Post by Shifty Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:14 pm

I'll hold my hand up and say I never thought he was going to be anything special, just a big lump who happened to play center, but he has really come on this season. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:16 pm

Lets just hope he doesn't have a scottish immediate relative.

Sorry just saw who wrote this, apologies mate.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 pm

He's done well when given the chance over the last two seasons, much like Webb. For now he's made the 12 shirt his own at the Liberty. If any of Doc, Foxy or Scotty are ruled out for a game or more...or simply underachieving, then he should be in. This is a golden opportunity to stock up on centres and create some intense competition for midfield places before 2015.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:25 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Lets just hope he doesn't have a scottish immediate relative.

Funny you should say that I just checked Ashley and Alex Cuthbert on Wiki to see, and Ashley is born in Neath, but Alex is born in Gloucester.... Ashley Beck 3933776953
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Would be great if Wales could develop that level of competition in all XV positions on the field instead of just three or four.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:29 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Lets just hope he doesn't have a scottish immediate relative.

Funny you should say that I just checked Ashley and Alex Cuthbert on Wiki to see, and Ashley is born in Neath, but Alex is born in Gloucester.... Ashley Beck 3933776953

Too late for him to change course thank fuke, won his first cap against Australia...they don't do declarations at senior level do they?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:30 am

Just saw him v Treviso..he won't start v ireland but i expect to see him start v italy and/or scotland

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:58 am

Its important to get him into the squad at least just to familiarise him with the set up

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:36 pm

what are you feeding them lads. you could put out the biggest tallest backline in world rugby. byrne, north, davies, roberts, cuthbert, priestland, philips.

we could put out the smallest, reddan, rog,mc fadden, darcy, drico, fitzgerald, earls

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:49 pm

dublin_dave wrote:what are you feeding them lads. you could put out the biggest tallest backline in world rugby. byrne, north, davies, roberts, cuthbert, priestland, philips.
Valley girls obviously!
One bag of chips and half a shandy and their anyones! laughing
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by LiziDragons Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:49 pm

hes a class player! has been for a few years now but lately has really matured and i think he could poosibly be ready for a call up

LiziDragons

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:19 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
dublin_dave wrote:what are you feeding them lads. you could put out the biggest tallest backline in world rugby. byrne, north, davies, roberts, cuthbert, priestland, philips.
Valley girls obviously!
One bag of chips and half a shandy and their anyones! laughing

One bag of chips!
That comment is out of order.
It's two bags of chips, one to eat and a spare one in the unlikely event of an orgasm. Shocked

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:42 pm

hes been immense, should be in the 22 come the 6N he seems to have a knack of being in the right places at the right times, scores tries, holds defenders up well, defensively sound, high work rate he'll run back and fore the pitch all day long
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:02 pm

I like Beck.He seems an all round good player.Hughes at the Dragons always seems like a winger playing in the centres.Tucks the ball away and has a go.Would not like to be a winger outside him!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:18 pm

On current form, Beck should take Scott Williams' place on the bench. Doc should be back for the trip to Spala with Gatland unlikely to drop him. It should be the usual backline, although I am worried about the fly-half cover after seeing Stephen Jones drop the ball 3 times on the weekend.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Agreed...

If, Jamie Roberts is out that would add a place for AN Other too, possibly from Liam Williams, Gavin Henson, Adam Hughes and Lee Byrne.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Morgannwg;

I posted S Jones was rubbish in the Northampton game and I got stick for being anti S Jones, the fact is he was rubbish along with, Shingler and both scrum halves.

I can't see Adam Hughes getting anywhere near the squad, I suspect Roberts will be in the squad even if he is injured with the chance he willl play in later games. I suspect Beck will be in the squad and could form a partnership with Henson in one of the games.

I am a Brew fan but I will be taken back if he makes it as he has had plenty of chances but tries too hard and screws up or the ball does not go his way.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by APrice Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:22 pm

He's a cracking player. Seems to have plenty of time on the ball and has been a rare shining beacon in the Ospreys' back play this season.

Reminds a little of Regan King the way he just seem to glide past people.

APrice

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:48 pm

I remember on Henson's Ospreys profile a few years ago they had a questionnaire and one of the questions was "which player should we look out for in the future?" or something along those lines and he said Ashley Beck.
I like him a lot hes a big boy who can take the crash ball but hes more of a ball player. He plays whats in front of him which our other centres don't really do. He can also step into first receiver when needed and can kick out of hand well.
I can see Regan King in him but someone else said Will Greenwood and i can definitely see that as well as Henson!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:54 pm

APrice wrote:He's a cracking player. Seems to have plenty of time on the ball and has been a rare shining beacon in the Ospreys' back play this season.

Reminds a little of Regan King the way he just seem to glide past people.

I'm no expert but once a couple of seasons ago I saw Beck run with the ball in hand from roughly 10m from his own try line to well past the half way line through a crowd of players without an apparent sidestep and without facing a tackle. It was astonishing. I am told he is a "ball shower" that is he uses the ball held in both hands in front of him in relation to his hips to create confusion for the defender.
He reminds me of Will Greenwood.
I think he is a great addition to the Welsh Squad.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by taffbornnbred Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:28 pm

As a Blues fan im made up for Leigh Halfpenny and Henson in the welsh Squad they are both having a stormers ! But I have always had one eye on Adam Hughes and how he has not made the Welsh squad is beyond me.
He tackles harder and moves quicker than any other centre in Wales, certainly more experience than Beck who has had a few lucky breaks thats all !
Its a shame he cant come to the Blues, he will have quality players alongside him that will pass the ball to him, unlike the young lad Roblin and that over weight tualangi guy.
We all know he needs to get out of the Dragons if Gatlands going to look at him !

taffbornnbred

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:51 pm

I think thats very unfair on Beck, he has been in decent form this season, he scores and sets up tries, hes also more creative than other centres, he would actually be my 12 and it would be between Davies and Roberts to fight out for 13.

Back to top Go down

Post by taffbornnbred Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Beck has quality around him...thats all....
Just realised I forgot to add my bit about another Blues selection Harry Robinson, although im happy for him, again, Hughes scored 10 tries and 3 conversions for the Dragons last year on the Wing and as Gatland talks about the versitility of Henson , why not give Hughes his chance on the Welsh wing ?

taffbornnbred

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Taff, whilst I do actually agree with you, may I ask how long you and Adam have been an 'item'?

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by taffbornnbred Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Looseheaded : I know i shall have to put my photos of Hughes down lol Very Happy
Its just me, i was the same about Leigh Halfpenny when he was producing some fantastic Rugby and never seemed to get the recognition !
I hate to see talent overlooked

taffbornnbred

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:23 pm

No I do agree with you regarding Hughes, he should be taken to Poland in my opinion, the training squad doesn't have a limit I believe but his time will come, I'd be very surprised if he didn't become a regular in the Wales squad within the next few years.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:32 pm

I just can't justify Hughes being in the squad. Maybe I've missed his best games or something but from what i've seen he's been a good club player at best.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Some players are being selected just so they get used to being in the Welsh camp. The selectors see their potential they are just being eased into the system but may not play any part come the six nations..
This is just the 35 man squad who will be assessed in Poland

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 am

taffbornnbred wrote:Beck has quality around him...thats all....
Just realised I forgot to add my bit about another Blues selection Harry Robinson, although im happy for him, again, Hughes scored 10 tries and 3 conversions for the Dragons last year on the Wing and as Gatland talks about the versitility of Henson , why not give Hughes his chance on the Welsh wing ?

Could say Robinson is in at Hughes expense?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:09 am

Beck quality all around him? Biggar inside and Bishop outside isn't exactly great. Of course hes got Shane and Bowe outside him but they haven't played well this season.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:20 am

And maybe its because Gatland doesn't think Hughes is good enough. Just because hes played quite well for the Dragons doesn't mean he should be in the Welsh squad. You may think hes a good player but perhaps Gatland doesn't think he has the ability to play international rugby. Although he could get selected for the summer tour for all i know.

He isn't fast enough to play wing, he doesn't have the handling or passing to be a top centre and he doesn't have the size or tackle breaking ability to compensate for it.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:12 am

It's fair enough if you don't think Beck should make the squad, it just means that you haven't seen him play this season, where he has easily proved he can handle top flight rugby. His inclusion into the squad will make JD2 and Scott Williams pull their socks up, because on current form he is playing better than both of them.

Adam Hughes is a tryer, and they love them down at the Dragons - who doesn't? But at the minute, as mentioned, he looks like a good club player, and hasn't demonstrated anything to put himself up for international selection. He is very young though, so he has plenty of time to improve and stake his claim.

We're going to need to shake things up A LOT if we're going to make a statement in this 6N:

Rhys Gill Huw Bennet A Jones
Lou Reed Ryan Jones
Lydiate Faletau Warburton (c)

Phillips
Priestland
Brew
JD2
Roberts
North
Halfpenny

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:52 am

Ground,

Can't comment on Gill as hasn't seen enough of him but can't see him getting in ahead of Jenkins or James.

I Evans should be one of the 2nd rowers
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 am

Gill should be in ahead of Bevington though.

Ground,
That forward pack is vey weak. Starting Lou Reed and Ryan Jones in the second row is madness.

Hopefully it will look more like
Gethin Rees Jones
Davies Evans
Lydiate Faletau Warburton

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:03 am

mckay1402 wrote:Without wanting to create a bandwagon I have thought for a couple of years that it would only be a matter of time before Ashley Beck made a case for Wales honours and he is certainly putting his hand up lately. I would love to see him get some game time in this six nations. He looks strong, fast and has an eye for the line and good hands. could be a winner.

And he plays with his socks half down, always watch the guy with rolled down socks.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:04 am

go,

That would be my starting 8 and unless someone gets injured or they have a storming training camp can't see otherwise.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:18 am

Glas a du wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:Without wanting to create a bandwagon I have thought for a couple of years that it would only be a matter of time before Ashley Beck made a case for Wales honours and he is certainly putting his hand up lately. I would love to see him get some game time in this six nations. He looks strong, fast and has an eye for the line and good hands. could be a winner.

And he plays with his socks half down, always watch the guy with rolled down socks.

Its usually because their calves are to skinny to fill out the socks!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:22 am

gowales wrote:
Glas a du wrote:

Its usually because their calves are to skinny to fill out the socks!

Possibly, yes, but I also think in the case of Dean Richards, Mike Teague and Chris Latham it showed a non conformist attitude, a determination not to put vanity above performance.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:25 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:go,

That would be my starting 8 and unless someone gets injured or they have a storming training camp can't see otherwise.

+1

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:28 pm

overlordofthewest wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:go,

+1

I agree too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:34 pm

With the likelyhood of

James, Bennett, R Jones and Tipuric on the bench
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Messymesina wrote: I am told he is a "ball shower"

Laugh

brilliant.

Becks been the form centre in wales this season, fully deserves his place in the squad and itll be very interesting to see what happens if he shows good form in poland and the training camps.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down