The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diet.

+9
TRUSSMAN66
ShahenshahG
Stuart81
skimpton
johnson2
liverbnz
bluestonevedder
The_Essence_of_Excellence
Fists of Fury
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Diet. - Page 2 Empty Diet.

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 16 Jan 2012, 2:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

The one aspect of training that so few people know anything about. There is plenty of contradictory advice found on the various websites around the internet, which can leave people in more of a twist than when they started.

Hopefully, there is someone here that knows a bit about it.

My dilemma is this: I work full time, 8.30-5pm Monday to Friday, so eating often goes out of the picture. My aim is to maintain lean muscle, and minimise body fat (13% at last check). What then, would be a suitable plan to follow?

At the moment, my typical weekday diet is as follows:

Breakfast: Cereal (usually special K) and a piece of toast.
Lunch: Chicken breast slices from Sainsbury's either with rice or on a couple of cobs.
Evening: Completely varies, usually meat/fish and vegetables, though.

In terms of protein shakes, I'm quite bad with these and usually only get round to having one per day (usually at night). Should I be having more of these, and when?

Does anyone have any additional suggestions/alterations to my typical weekday diet (remembering that I buy my food at lunch times, so it can't be overly expensive). The restraints of an office job are such that the eating little and often mantra becomes pretty difficult to enforce.

All info is much appreciated, as I'm sure you'll agree that diet is very much a 'black spot' in the training routine of many.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Diet. - Page 2 Empty Re: Diet.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 4:51 pm

Always found that a good hard gym session got rid of my excesses anyway...

To be good at anything you have to enjoy doing it......I think people can get to worried about eating the right foods at the right times and working out can become like army training....

I tended to eat the right things generally every two or three hours but had plenty of cheat meals too!!!

Luckily I had a good metabolism...but people do need to lighten up....

Enjoy bodybuilding....don't make it a chore..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:41 pm

You make a very good point, Truss. Being too regimented would take much of the enjoyment away, I'd imagine. I'm like you at the moment, decent most of the time but plenty of cheats.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 24 Jan 2012, 9:24 am

I've recently started having a cheat day once a week (Sundays to accommodate for the roast) and found that it's really helped me mentally. Instead of being 100% strict throughout the week, I used to find myself yearning for a snack or something fatty, but now that I have assigned one day as the cheat, I actually have something to look forward to. I'm not tempted during weekdays now at all, as I know that come Sunday I can eat whatever I like!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:07 am

I always cheat on a Sunday, but also on many other days too. My discipline isn't great, luckily my metabolism is!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:19 am

Fists of Fury wrote: My discipline isn't great, luckily my metabolism is!

You lucky lucky man. I wish my metabolism was faster!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by tammywilson52 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

I loved that line of The_Essence_of_Excellence,” I gain weight just looking at food- whereas the missus can eat a bucket of KFC and guzzle full fat Coke and still be a size 10”. Few days back I heard my uncle saying “When you are ought to get fat then only a blow of wind can do that, and when not then even plenty of fatty foods can’t do anything”.

tammywilson52

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 20 Jun 2012, 11:07 am

So, with summer upon us (maybe?), and beach holidays to be had, how is the diet going?

I'm currently doing something like the following during the week, and using weekends as a more relaxed couple of days, just to keep me sane:

Breakfast - Porridge with semi-skimmed milk, 1 crumpet

10.30am - Handful of nuts

Lunch - Chicken slices with rice and a few bits of lettuce chucked in.

3pm - Handful of nuts

5.30pm - Usually have a pre-workout snack, maybe tinned mackerel fillet.

Dinner - Tend to alternate between things like fajitas, chicken 'in the bag', pasta dishes etc.

10.30pm - Protein shake, scoop of peanut butter

I make sure I drink 6-8 pints of water throughout the day, too.

Any comments/thoughts/suggestions? How is your own diet going?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 20 Jun 2012, 1:59 pm

Breakfast - Weetabix/Oats with a bannana
9.30 - Scrambled egg/mixed fruit and yogurt/protein shake
12.00 - ham or tuna sandwich wholemeal Smile/tuna or chicken pasta and piece of fruit
15.00 - mixed nuts and piece of fruit
18.00 - steak/chicken dinner with veg. Homemade bolonese or curry 1 day a week.
21.00 - depending on whether it's workout day or not I may have cottage cheese on crackerbread/jam on toast/protien shake

I could certainly improve my diet but I'm really focusing on my workout and ensuring form is correct and that I'm gaining strength. I'll correct my diet as I go along hopefully.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 07 Aug 2012, 4:34 pm

People over-complicate their diet plan.

Just eat plenty of fruit and veg, healthy carbs (oats, pasta, brown rice), good fats (fish oils, avocados) and a decent amount of protein (100-150 grams a day is more than enough). Drink plenty of water (around 8 litres a day) and be consistant. Avoid takeaways and other processed junk.

Thats it!

Also, protein shakes are mostly just sucralose filled, gimmicky bunk.....as are almost all otc supplements. They don't make any real difference. Its just a money making scam.
Eggs whites are a far better, more natural option.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Aug 2012, 7:55 pm

Benson is right....If your routines or diet are too strict....you reach burnout....and the gym becomes a slog and not FUN!!!!

Have the cheat meals...mix it up......

The workouts will get rid of your excesses.....

Nothing more boring than a bodybuilder who let's the gym take over his life!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 08 Aug 2012, 10:05 am

Agree with both! I always have a cheat day once a week, usually a Sunday. Gives me something to look forward to, and my urges during the week and can satisfied then, without making me think i'm never going to eat these foods again!

I use low carb, and low sugar protein shakes as meal replacements for when i'm at work, but that's it really. Occasionally do a creatine cycle just before the rugby season, and I take glucosamine to look after the joints. So much of your needs can be met with a good diet.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 16 Aug 2012, 1:03 pm

J.Benson II wrote:People over-complicate their diet plan.

Just eat plenty of fruit and veg, healthy carbs (oats, pasta, brown rice), good fats (fish oils, avocados) and a decent amount of protein (100-150 grams a day is more than enough). Drink plenty of water (around 8 litres a day) and be consistant. Avoid takeaways and other processed junk.

Thats it!

Also, protein shakes are mostly just sucralose filled, gimmicky bunk.....as are almost all otc supplements. They don't make any real difference. Its just a money making scam.
Eggs whites are a far better, more natural option.

Agreed, but a protein shakes are convienience for most. Bit of a fannny on carrying around 15+ egg whites for your protein intake.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:01 pm

Just finished a tub of the well-known Optimum Nutrition "Gold Standard Whey".

Would have happily purchased again but I see its price has risen to £50 for 5lbs of the stuff.

As value is pretty important for me here, alongside basic nutritional info, and the fact I am trying to stay lean and bulk gradually, I am generally looking at the whey isolates/concentrates. Although I am willing to hear if I should go down a different route.

Kinetica's product appears to be pretty highly regarded, only £40 for 5lbs and also has a couple of flavours I'd like to try out.

Would like to hear your thoughts, thanks.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:47 am

theslosty wrote:Just finished a tub of the well-known Optimum Nutrition "Gold Standard Whey".

Would have happily purchased again but I see its price has risen to £50 for 5lbs of the stuff.

As value is pretty important for me here, alongside basic nutritional info, and the fact I am trying to stay lean and bulk gradually, I am generally looking at the whey isolates/concentrates. Although I am willing to hear if I should go down a different route.

Kinetica's product appears to be pretty highly regarded, only £40 for 5lbs and also has a couple of flavours I'd like to try out.

Price sounds ok to be honest, I've seen far more expensive protein powders on the market. I have heard that MyProtein was ok & a good price, mail order only.

As for the use of protein powders what are you goals, how much are you using & what is your diet like? I think it is far better to get your nutrition from a good diet high in fruit & veg, good fats, wholegrain carbs & good quality protiens such as fish, meat, eggs & cheese, with variety being the key and using whey protein as a back up. I'd also recommend buying a good juicer that does both veg & fruit and a blender for smoothies, you will be surprised at how good you feel, better sustained energy levels, less need for sugar or caffeine & better skin.

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun 24 Feb 2013, 12:39 pm

sohotnot wrote:
theslosty wrote:Just finished a tub of the well-known Optimum Nutrition "Gold Standard Whey".

Price sounds ok to be honest, I've seen far more expensive protein powders on the market. I have heard that MyProtein was ok & a good price, mail order only.

As for the use of protein powders what are you goals, how much are you using & what is your diet like? I think it is far better to get your nutrition from a good diet high in fruit & veg, good fats, wholegrain carbs & good quality protiens such as fish, meat, eggs & cheese, with variety being the key and using whey protein as a back up. I'd also recommend buying a good juicer that does both veg & fruit and a blender for smoothies, you will be surprised at how good you feel, better sustained energy levels, less need for sugar or caffeine & better skin.

I use protein powder mostly as a convenience, like someone posted earlier it is rather awkward to carry a load of egg whites with you every day. I am trying to perform a lean bulk, I'm currently 5"11, 160lbs, trying to progress to about 170-175lbs. Can't claim to be ultra-disciplined when it comes to diet, although I suppose like many others it is mostly a case of limiting the damage on those demotivated days.

All in all, I just don't think I can intake 150g protein daily, without a scoop or two of the powder.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Feb 2013, 4:08 pm

theslosty wrote:
sohotnot wrote:

I use protein powder mostly as a convenience, like someone posted earlier it is rather awkward to carry a load of egg whites with you every day. I am trying to perform a lean bulk, I'm currently 5"11, 160lbs, trying to progress to about 170-175lbs. Can't claim to be ultra-disciplined when it comes to diet, although I suppose like many others it is mostly a case of limiting the damage on those demotivated days.

All in all, I just don't think I can intake 150g protein daily, without a scoop or two of the powder.

I totally agree & understand you, but remember a lot of the info we are fed with regards to protein powders & eating are coming from the supplement companies & the magazines that they pay huge amounts to to advertise ie you can only digest 30g of protein per meal, you must eat 5 small meals a day, best to stock up on our powder & mrp's. If you read maximuscles bumpf then you are probably lacking in some many areas that you only going to fail & quite possibly about to collapse! Have you set yourself a rough time limit for your goals? Why not just look to increase you calorie intake by 100 calories per day, maybe mix your protein with full fat milk rather than water, eat an extra banana a day. Unless you get that extra 100 calories from butter or sugar you are not going to put on fat, one of the myths the supplement companies feed us & why there protein + carb powders are better/essential.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2