The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mcdermott shouldn't be paid - It's time to make an example!!

+16
Union Cane
Valero's Conscience
ShahenshahG
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Knowsit17
manos de piedra
oxring
KingMonkey
nissan
The Galveston Giant
AlexHuckerby
johnson2
TRUSSMAN66
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mcdermott shouldn't be paid - It's time to make an example!! Empty Mcdermott shouldn't be paid - It's time to make an example!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 4:08 pm

People pay good money to watch a show......Boxing is a professional sport..People have the right to expect a guy to act in a professional way or be penalised....

6 ft 3 and nearly twenty stone.......Just pathetic and let's face it the fight was always going to end early!!!

You turn up overweight for training in cricket or soccer you get sent home and fined...You certainly don't play!!!

People expect an athlete who's well paid to act professional......

Time for the bodyweight index to come into Boxing...Nothing too severe!!!!

But enough to stop fat people who come in looking like that to earn money in another profession..

He'll get paid but he shouldn't be..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Mcdermott shouldn't be paid - It's time to make an example!! Empty Re: Mcdermott shouldn't be paid - It's time to make an example!!

Post by johnson2 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 4:28 pm

His weight is a disgrace. The fact this man can call himself a professional boxer and obese in the same sentance says a lot about his lack of dedication.

The fight should not have allowed, I agree...

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Mcdermott shouldn't be paid - It's time to make an example!! Empty Re: Mcdermott shouldn't be paid - It's time to make an example!!

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 22 Jan 2012, 4:37 pm

He put in a good performance against Olumbiwo (spelling) in pretty much the same shape. He just got caught early by a Price that was levels above, he went for it early, but was caught out. I agree his conditioning isn't the greatest but he's won against resepctable fighters before. Some Heavy's are fat, oh well.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 7:17 pm

I reckon If Roseanne Barr goal-hanged for Utd..she'd score now and then!!

Professionals who get well paid... owe the consumer to give the best of themselves....

Or else they are taking money under false pretences....

He'd didn't give the best performance he could..

Because he's a slob...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 22 Jan 2012, 7:29 pm

I agree, he's getting paid well he should train properly.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by nissan Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:02 pm

For what it is worth.
John McDermott deserves all his money. He had the bottle to get into the ring
and take some punishment. The promoter needs to answer the questions
of why he promoted the fight.

nissan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

nissan wrote:For what it is worth.
John McDermott deserves all his money. He had the bottle to get into the ring
and take some punishment.
The promoter needs to answer the questions
of why he promoted the fight.

Azaniav2?

Just kidding!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:17 pm

No.......The public pay to see a fighter give of his best and you can't do that if you can't be bothered getting in shape..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:22 pm

Well, it's difficult I guess, is there a real responsibility for an athlete to entertain, or just get in there and get out, you could argue that it's up to him/her as to how she performs and you're the person taking the risk to spend money on it, Man Utd/Man City won't churn up a classic everytime.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by nissan Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:23 pm

The promoter puts on the show..
The fighter is the "performing monkey"
The promoter failed to deliver a fit and proper act to perform. His Show His rules His Fault

nissan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:26 pm

It's not the promoters fault the fighter couldn't perform and didn't have the motivation to be in shape, Same as the managers in football can only do so much though really, it's the players responsibility to perform, the promoter just gives them the stage to do so, my opinion anyway Nissan.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:30 pm

It's not up to him how he performs.....

He tries or he doesn't get paid......Purses can be and have been frozen..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:34 pm

McDermott turned up in exactly the same shape as always and that, in the past, has seen him go 10-12 rounds with some of the division's best. For anyone who has ever stepped into a ring they will know what that takes.

What he didn't account for was a very decent uppercut.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by nissan Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:36 pm

What he didn't account for was a very decent uppercut..
Yes when all is said and done.. I agree.

nissan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:38 pm

He was marching forward wildy, his tactics to get close were correct but he used no defence. Very poor overall, in performance and preparation.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:39 pm

Seeing as his weight wasn't the same as in others..

To suggest exact condition is a little folly..

No one goes 10 rounds at a half decent pace at....6'3 and 269!

Tubbs was considered a slob and he was 6ft 3 and 240..............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:43 pm

Must agree with Truss, he wasn't in the same condition he has been in opposed to others, like I put in my write up, this shouldn't really be seen as the same McDermott that pushed Fury, not saying that the one that fought Fury would have faired much better but still wasn't a particularly motivated McDermott who didn't come in at optimum weight. 18 pounds heavier, basically a stone and a half heavier.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:44 pm

Hello

Very Happy

Hey Truss, are you Littlejohn from the Sun by any chance.?
You seem to have a nack for sensational headlines followed by tabloid content Wink

I don't disagree with the gist of your sentiments.

ghost

emancipator - Alas, all things must come to an end; the annals of history, time, is just a moment lent.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 22 Jan 2012, 11:42 pm

Do you know the saddest thing Truss?

In the 6-7 years now I've been chatting with you about boxing online (that made me feel old as well) - you must have posted essentially the same article over 10 times. Change the name, maybe change the weight but the point was the same.

And you're right! Every time!

Yet there's been no evidence of changes - and the same boxers are still getting away with it. I believe this is the second time you've posted this about McDermott! You certainly did Danny Williams a couple of times. Robin Reid for his loss to Froch...the list goes on.

Mismatches like that blacken and cheapen the name of the sport - at a time when boxing needs all the help it can get.

And to cap it all - the only fight I can recall where the BBBoC considered withholding a wage was for Audley's tilt at the HW title! At least he got in shape!

Sure - pay a living wage. They deserve renumeration for getting in the ring at all. However - 2 minutes and 30 seconds? To be paid several hundred thousand pounds?

Sod it - you or I could lose that badly. Throw us in instead next time - can't do worse than a 1 round KO surely!
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:00 am

Id be shocked if McDermott got anything near several hundred grand for that fight.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:06 am

At this point in time I don't train or exercise very much. Don't get me wrong, I usually try to muster the willpower to stay in shape and at the best of times go for a daily two/three mile run, I just haven't been at my most active in recent months.

The point is I haven't shouldered the responsibility that McDermott has accepted as a pro boxer, I don't get paid to train and give the ring a shot. And yet at my unfit present self I must still be a fifth or a quarter McDermott's weight based on the evidence of his last showing.

It just shocks me how someone who is supposed to be making a living out of staying fit can have the cheek towards himself, his camp and his fans to do the complete opposite. By the looks of it McDermott's daily regime consists of McDonald's and a minimum five-beer limit.

People should not have to give away their hard-earned cash for that shambles. It really isn't asking as much as some might think to stay fit for a considerable paycheck.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:07 am

alma wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Id be shocked if McDermott got anything near several hundred grand for that fight.

More like 20 or 30 at a rough guess

He would have been lucky to get that. Sky only pay £40k for a British Title fight. They would probably only have had to pay around £20-25k to get this fight. I would be surprised if McDermott got more than £10k.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:10 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
I would be surprised if McDermott got more than £10k.

Still a decent gig for not actually doing anything.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:12 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote: I would be surprised if McDermott got more than £10k.

Can buy a lot of KFC with that, every cloud and the like

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:18 am

How much do you reckon Price got? An upcoming heavvyweight star in who got a bronze medal at the olympics? More than normal?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:28 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:How much do you reckon Price got? An upcoming heavvyweight star in who got a bronze medal at the olympics? More than normal?

I would be surprised if Price got any more than £20k for the fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:41 am

Unfortunately it seems up and comers copy champions and fight once or twice a year, absolutely shocking really.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:48 am

He's with Maloney which is a problem. Maloney doesn't have the stable to put on regular shows. Price shouldn't have knocked back Warren.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:50 am

Is a pity though because lets be honest Price will have had sparring sessions that have taken more out of him than Saturday's fight, is absolutely no reason at all he could not be back in the ring within a month, keeps him busy and builds on any buzz or momentum he built up saturday

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:53 am

I would say so, the length between fights is becoming a joke. There's nothing to stop him coming back out at the end of Febuary, beginning of March.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:25 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
alma wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Id be shocked if McDermott got anything near several hundred grand for that fight.

More like 20 or 30 at a rough guess

He would have been lucky to get that. Sky only pay £40k for a British Title fight. They would probably only have had to pay around £20-25k to get this fight. I would be surprised if McDermott got more than £10k.

Doesn't his promoter have to pay him for the fight camp as well? Normally does - maybe 100k very optimistic - but there's the 6-12 week training camp. And repayment for all the "effort" he'd put in.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:45 pm

McDermott still looked bulimic compared to Butterbean

Spoiler:

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:McDermott still looked bulimic compared to Butterbean

Spoiler:
Where did you get that picture of Union from?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:52 pm

From army barracks - this is how our soldiers treat prisoners of war. Put em in a cage with union and cover them in butter.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:33 pm

The issue above McDermott's weight is irrelevant as he's always been like that so it was fully expected of him to come in at that weight from everybody involved.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:36 pm

But Valero, he still came in almost 20 pounds heavier than he has in previous fights, no one was expecting him to look a double or Arnie Schwarzanegger but he actually came in the ring in even worse shape than normal.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

No, the scales were wrong, he weighed himself when he got home from the weigh-in and he was only 18 stone.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:41 pm

Union Cane wrote:No, the scales were wrong, he weighed himself when he got home from the weigh-in and he was only 18 stone.

I looked in my bathroom mirror this morning and I was 6 foot 4, sporting a remarkable six-pack and rugged good looks.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:42 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:The issue above McDermott's weight is irrelevant as he's always been like that so it was fully expected of him to come in at that weight from everybody involved.

He has a BMI of 35. Obese. The guy is a utter disgrace.

Rules need to be enforced to stop guys who have clearly prepared by eat pies and drinking beer entering the ring. It will take a lot of effort to be that fat.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:45 pm

johnson2 wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote:The issue above McDermott's weight is irrelevant as he's always been like that so it was fully expected of him to come in at that weight from everybody involved.

Rules need to be enforced to stop guys who have clearly prepared by eat pies and drinking beer entering the ring. It will take a lot of effort to be that fat.

That is a good point, although we are focusing on his training, one thing that's certain is it will take some amount of eating to maintain that weight while training.

Last edited by The Galveston Giant on Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:45 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Union Cane wrote:No, the scales were wrong, he weighed himself when he got home from the weigh-in and he was only 18 stone.

I looked in my bathroom mirror this morning and I was 6 foot 4, sporting a remarkable six-pack and rugged good looks.

You have Trussman in your bathroom?

How queer.

It looked as though McDermott's training had consisted of lining up empty Boddington's cans in his dressing room beforehand.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:53 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
johnson2 wrote:

That is a good point, although we are focusing on his training, one thing that's certain is it will take some amount of eating to maintain that weight while training.

Takes roughly 3500 calories to lose/put a pound in weight. If you are in full time training you will have to be consuming 5000/6000+ calories per day to put on weight.

A nan bread, full portion of rice and a full curry with and onion Bhaji from your local Indian takeway contains 1400 calories. Must have been eating a hell of a lot.

Obviously this is a very rough assessement of the situation, but you get the idea...

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:55 pm

johnson2 wrote:

Correction - Morbidly obese. Where the obesity has reached a stage where it is having a detrimental effect upon health.

In terms of massive people - I have seen one person with a BMI of 79 - which was quite impressive, and also a man of 6'6 with a BMI of 65. He weighed in at well over 200kgs.

Anyway - Galveston's point is absolutely right - to maintain a BMI of 35 - you've got to try pretty hard. That's supersizing every McDonalds, extra large-ing Dominos and getting a family bucket at KFC for 1. For breakfast. Every day.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:56 pm

Did anyone notice that during the introductions - when John's weight got announced he shook his head like he was disappointed! Strange.

Like a few above have said - he has always looked like that and still put in some very good performances. Sometimes even a fatty can be a force. Take Roy Nelson from the UFC - fatter than John and a great fighter and a surprising level of cardio fitness.

Another thing I found funny was that after he lost - he was pictured having his gloves removed, behind him were loads of beer cans!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:58 pm

Daz wrote:Did anyone notice that during the introductions - when John's weight got announced he shook his head like he was disappointed! Strange.

Like a few above have said - he has always looked like that and still put in some very good performances. Sometimes even a fatty can be a force. Take Roy Nelson from the UFC - fatter than John and a great fighter and a surprising level of cardio fitness.

Another thing I found funny was that after he lost - he was pictured having his gloves removed, behind him were loads of beer cans!

Daz - I don't mind how someone looks - but when they're 20 pounds heavier than they're previous fight and they get blown away in a round - and then after their gloves removed they're sitting in a room that they look like they're sharing with an alcoholics convention - questions are going to be asked.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:59 pm

Daz wrote:Did anyone notice that during the introductions - when John's weight got announced he shook his head like he was disappointed! Strange.

That's because he weighed himself when he got home from the weigh in and he was only 18 stone...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 23 Jan 2012, 2:02 pm

Union Cane wrote:

That's because he weighed himself when he got home from the weigh in and he was only 18 stone...

The old standing on one leg trick never fails to work.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 23 Jan 2012, 2:02 pm

Headscratch

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 23 Jan 2012, 2:03 pm

Probably had his belly on the towel rail like Homer in Simpsons.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 23 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Union Cane wrote:

The old standing on one leg trick never fails to work.

Trust me it does

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next