The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns is full WBO champ- Mitchell fight must get made now

+7
The Galveston Giant
two_tone
KingMonkey
Nico the gman
Steffan
manos de piedra
Seanusarrilius
11 posters

Go down

Burns is full WBO champ- Mitchell fight must get made now Empty Burns is full WBO champ- Mitchell fight must get made now

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Ok, so we have now got two WBO world champs who never beat a champion in the ring.

Burns has been handed the full belt, fair play, means a battle of Britain fight with Mitchell can be made a bigger event.

In the words of MArvin Gaye, lets get it oooooooooooooooooooooon!!

http://www.boxingscene.com/ricky-burns-named-full-wbo-lightweight-champ--48948

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Burns is full WBO champ- Mitchell fight must get made now Empty Re: Burns is full WBO champ- Mitchell fight must get made now

Post by manos de piedra Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:03 pm

Said this on another thread there. Problem is it likes like lightweight will be emptied out now. Rios and JMM are looking to move up and Guerrero will likely follow. That leaves lightweight a bit thin.

But Burns v Mitchell is a fight Id like to see and if Burns beats Moses (not a gimme) then this should be straightforward. The good news for Burns is now he has the title he can probably command more money despite probably doing less numbers. Without a title he would have to settle for less.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Burns is full WBO champ- Mitchell fight must get made now Empty Re: Burns is full WBO champ- Mitchell fight must get made now

Post by Steffan Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Well done to Ricky. He deserves it. 2 World champions from the Isles now. Cant fault it

A fight with Mitchell would be one I want to see

Burns winning via a late TKO with that one

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:20 pm

How much is Burns making as champ i wonder? Burns v Mitchell would be a very good scrap. Burns is durable, gritty and dusciplined, Mitchell is classy, has a decent dig too but is vulnerable, if mitchell wins there ios the rematch possibility with Murray and Burns. If Burns wins, maybe throw Murray in with him att he ed of the year. This is all good for Warren

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:25 pm

For all the flak Warren gets, he does very well for his fighters in general.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Fancy this about time we had a good battle of Britain world title fight think this will be a cracker if it comes off.
Burns would be unstoppable if he had a dig, Mitchell is a far better fighter than the Kastidas fight,this is a 50/50 fight for me, the pace will be fast from the off, could be a contender for fight of the year this one.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Well done to Ricky, he deserves it?

Really? I like the lad but 'he deserves it'? Not sure about that. Hey ho, whatever. Is the WBO, I barely acknowledge it.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:56 pm

I like Burns and would probably rather him win this than Mitchell even though Mitchell would fair better on the world stage in my view, but I think Mitchell will probably stop Burns late on via TKO if it happens. Would watch this with interest has the makings of a good fight.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:16 pm

[quote]
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:28 pm

KingMonkey wrote:Well done to Ricky, he deserves it?

Really? I like the lad but 'he deserves it'? Not sure about that. Hey ho, whatever. Is the WBO, I barely acknowledge it.

Agree with this, still struggle to accept the WBO as a proper world title, even Pacquiao as there champion at welterweight is a bit of a joke when Michael Jennings of all people involved when Cotto initially won it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:33 pm

All the world titles are equally lacking credibility now. I think the IBF is margianlly the best. But the WBA and WBC decision to introduce regular/super champions and silver/diamond belts has made them a laughing stock.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Im still a Ring Title man

Its not perfect but better than the rest for me

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Depends on the history of the belt in the division I suppose.

Burns WBO title meant something at 130lbs but at 135lbs it means nothing.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:49 pm

These are the current (has not been updated yet) Ring Title Champion and Top 10 Contenders

Its the best ranked belt for me anyway

CHAMPION: Juan Manuel Marquez
Mexico
Record: 53-6-1 (39 KOs)

1. Brandon Rios
USA
Record: 29-0-1 (22 KOs)

2. Robert Guerrero
USA
Record: 29-1-1 (18 KOs)

3. Antonio DeMarco
Mexico
Record: 26-2-1 (19 KOs)

4. Miguel Vazquez
Mexico
Record: 30-3-0 (13 KOs)

5. Kevin Mitchell
United Kingdom
Record: 32-1-0 (24 KOs)

6. Paulus Moses
Namibia
Record: 28-1-0 (19 KOs)

7. Ricky Burns
United Kingdom
Record: 33-2-0 (9 KOs)

8. John Murray
United Kingdom
Record: 31-1-0 (18 KOs)

9. John Molina
USA
Record: 23-1-0 (19 KOs)

10. Richard Abril
Cuba
Record: 17-2-1 (8 KOs)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Steffan wrote:These are the current (has not been updated yet) Ring Title Champion and Top 10 Contenders

Its the best ranked belt for me anyway

CHAMPION: Juan Manuel Marquez
Mexico
Record: 53-6-1 (39 KOs)

1. Brandon Rios
USA
Record: 29-0-1 (22 KOs)

2. Robert Guerrero
USA
Record: 29-1-1 (18 KOs)

3. Antonio DeMarco
Mexico
Record: 26-2-1 (19 KOs)

4. Miguel Vazquez
Mexico
Record: 30-3-0 (13 KOs)

5. Kevin Mitchell
United Kingdom
Record: 32-1-0 (24 KOs)

6. Paulus Moses
Namibia
Record: 28-1-0 (19 KOs)

7. Ricky Burns
United Kingdom
Record: 33-2-0 (9 KOs)

8. John Murray
United Kingdom
Record: 31-1-0 (18 KOs)

9. John Molina
USA
Record: 23-1-0 (19 KOs)

10. Richard Abril
Cuba
Record: 17-2-1 (8 KOs)

The top 3 guys will all probably move up aswell.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 am

You can't look past The Ring title really. If vacant #1 & #2 have to fight in order to win it. No other way. Which is how it should be. No poxy interim titles, Super Champions or Diamond belts. It is what it is.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:03 pm

The Ring Ratings are, unfortunately, coming in for some criticism. The ratings panel apparently still lists Nick Charles, along with another writer (can't recall his name right now) who has requested he be removed.

There's a pretty good article out there by Ivan Goldman which touches upon this.

They're still more reliable than the alphabets, though. Bob Mee wrote a brilliant article about them for Boxing News last week. How anyone can call themselves a world champion these days is beyond me -- surely even Burns doesn't believe he's the lightweight champion. Sad, as he's a top little fighter.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:11 pm

hazharrison wrote:

They're still more reliable than the alphabets, though. Bob Mee wrote a brilliant article about them for Boxing News last week.

Read that Haz, brilliant piece, the moment a fighter who was dead managed to move up the rankings should have been the point the sport said enough is enough with the governing bodies. There was a comment in the last Boxing Monthly that said across the 17 divisions the WBA website listed 37 world champions, it has reached the point where they are beyond parody, you could not make up things more ridiculous than they manage to do on a day to day basis.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

In the words of MArvin Gaye, lets get it oooooooooooooooooooooon!!

Boxing would have been a whole lot weirder had Marvin Gaye been a ring announcer with that as his catchphrase.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down