The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The rise and return of del Potro

+2
Marcus
Stealth Maestro Agro Love
6 posters

Go down

The rise and return of del Potro Empty The rise and return of del Potro

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Whilst the big news at the minute is of course about the Djokovic/Nadal, Pretender vs King match up, there is some good news regarding a player who has of course endured a rough time.

Argentinian half human-half Albatross Juan Martin del Potro, having being as low as #485, a ranking previously reserved for Dan Evans, will see his ranking boosted by at least 30 places as he jumps one step closer to returning to the rankings big time. He should roughly be #55 on Monday. An impressive recovery has seen him win a title already this year, at Delray Beach, and of course make his way to the semi finals of the Indian Wells Masters; no mean feat considering he hadn't been on a court for almost a year.

The question is; how high will he rise? He almost looks like his old self, but his old self isn't necessarily the limit of his ability - he is but 22 years old. Do you see him mounting a challenge for the Number 1 spot in the future? Was the US Open as good as it gets for him? What does he need to improve? Would it be fair to the rest of the tour if he decided to let his Albatross arms fully form into wings, thus allowing him to fly during points?

Discuss.

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

The rise and return of del Potro Empty Re: The rise and return of del Potro

Post by Marcus Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:35 pm

JMDP will reach #1 within the next two years if he stays fit.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Hello, News! Very Happy

I didn't realise you were that old?! You're... old news? Or just very wise?

I'm really glad Del Potro's doing good and hope he'll continue the same way.
As for him growing Albatross angel - no, that certainly would NOT be fair!

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:17 pm

I think JMDP did really well to get to a SF after the year out. And it is a pity for him having that year out because I think its a bit difficult yet to guage where he might be.

I think that Rafa will have another couple of years at the top yet. But to be number 1, you need to be winning two Slams a year and in addition to that, start racking up the Masters. Looking at what JMDP has done to date, yes, he had that fantastic US Open win, but he's yet to win a Masters and has only been to the final of one.

If you look at his results in 2009, he was going the right way for a budding player in that he was reaching the quarters and semis of major tournaments, a semi at the French and winning the USO. His injury meant that we couldn't see if he kicked on from that which is what he needed to do in 2010. So he's still a bit of an unknown quantity for me. I'm interested to see how he gets on in this season's clay tournaments, because his results on grass are way behind. When we see him winning Masters and getting to the final of a couple of Slams, then I think a future Number 1 will be something we can talk about.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:27 pm

The one thing that might stop him reaching the very top is his style of play and the possibility of a reoccurrence of the the wrist problem.

Let's hope not.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Welcome to the forum THIS_IS_THE_NEWS.......hope you enjoy yourself here on v2 Smile

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down