The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shot distances and cold weather

+14
Skydriver
Fader
Lairdy
Diggers
oldparwin
puligny
George1507
raycastleunited
princedracula
McLaren
twoeightnine
kwinigolfer
super_realist
navyblueshorts
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shot distances and cold weather Empty Shot distances and cold weather

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 30 Jan 2012, 11:32 am

This may sound like a dumb question, but how many out there factor the cold weather into their club selections on approach shots? I reckon it's costing me a good club extra on a typical approach but having swallowed my ego and accepted it's happening, I've found my irons into greens to be very good for distance the last couple of weeks and last round, in particular, had a lot of putts which were very make-able.

I'd guess it's mainly down to the ball being a lot less elastic (certainly sounds harder off the putter) and a bit to do with increased air density. One thing's for sure though - roll on warmer days.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Shot distances and cold weather Empty Re: Shot distances and cold weather

Post by super_realist Mon 30 Jan 2012, 11:38 am

All the time navy, I find that almost overnight in Oct/Nov you get the change from summer to winter distances.
Basically I'm adding 10yards to whatever my yardages are, and so club accordingly.

It's been a mild winter, but regardless of that distances still affected.
Things start to pick up in March for me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 30 Jan 2012, 11:41 am

nbs, It's not just us!
Cold weather affects the pros also.
Conversely hot, humid weather helps the ball fly further than normal.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Mon 30 Jan 2012, 11:51 am

I met an ex-touring pro who told me that one of the worst things that amateurs do is clean their balls in the on course ball washers as a cold balls loses a lot of distance.

I know when it is really cold (sub 5 degrees) I am about a club shorter than normal.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:03 pm

I guess there are many factors to winter distances

Lower air temperature
Lower ball temperature (any f1 fans will understand just how the performance of materials change due to temperature)
Temperature of the club
Players reduced practice time
The player not able to properly feel warmed up and loose.
Does anyone know if winter air pressures are different to the summer on average?

I will happily play two clubs more than I would in the summer just to cover the issues mentioned above.

Last nights coverage from the farmers showed than even the pro’s don’t always read the conditions properly. Sneds flew the par 3 16th green in the play off after using the same club as he had when the wind was into his face, in the play off it was helping.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:07 pm

Mac, In Britain winter air pressure is often higher, especially on those cold, clear blue sky and frosty days.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:24 pm

It's an interesting topic but it can get quite complicated if you go into details.
Ball flight is affected by a number of environmental factors, like temperature, humidity, pressure, density, etc. A very basic rule of thumb I came across gave an increase in ball flight of approx. half a meter per extra degree Celsius, but I'm not sure if that's very well veryfied. Temperature affects ball flight in a couple of ways:
- air density is lower in hot/humid weather, which means ball encounters less resistance and travels longer
- ball and club temperature are higher in hot weather, which means ball will spring off the club face at higher speed, etc. (hence that piece of advice of not washing your golf ball during play, which twoeightnine mentioned)

And then of course, not related to the ball flight, you have the added ball rolling distance in hot weather.

Humidity also helps the ball flight, but that, of course, applies to the hot weather with high air humidity, and not to the regular rainy weather we normally get around here...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:33 pm

Yes, I am typically taking one more club for approach shots. Also at this time of year I hardly play any running shots because it is difficult to guage how much roll you will get, pretty much looking to pitch it as close to the pin as possible, which may mean more club.

I alternate balls on each hole as well, keep the other one in my pocket so it warms up a little. I'm not sure how much difference this makes. I think someone on here recommended leaving your golf balls on the radiator overnight before you play, I might try that.

I guess the trampoline effect from drivers is reduced when it is cold. Not sure how much difference it would make. I doubt it makes much difference on iron shots.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:45 pm

Acushnet's research on Titleist pro V1 balls revealed that they fly 1 yard further for every 2 degrees Fahrenheit the air temperature increases.

So, for example, a drive that would fly 200 yards at 32F will fly 220 at 72F.

That is solely to do with air temperature and ball temperature.

If you factor in other things like air pressure, humidity, how far it rolls after landing, club head temperature and so on, there's a very marked loss of distance in cold weather.

It's hard to know for sure, because we are usually layered up with loads of sweaters and so on, but I reckon the difference between winter and summer golf is at least one iron club for shots to the green.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:04 pm

Interesting but a bit surprised it's quite that high George; guess Acushnet should know their stuff though! Their readings would give ~18 yard increase playing at 25°C cf. 5°C. Thinking about my irons, I'm not sure I'd get that much increase. Maybe they're talking about pros etc with a 1.50 driver smash factor though i.e. they hit it pure a lot.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:15 pm

nbs - this data was arrived at with a driver and a robot.

Although I know that iron shot distances are affected by air temperature as well, I don't know if the effect with irons is less or more marked than with a driver.

I believe it's pretty much the same story with any ball, although there may be slight distance differences depending on what type of ball it is.

One other thing from the same research revealed that scuff marks on balls don't have any discernible effect on either flight or distance. Balls that have done a few rounds don't fly as far as balls that have just been hit a few times. Again, Pro v1s.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:49 pm

George1507 wrote:Acushnet's research on Titleist pro V1 balls revealed that they fly 1 yard further for every 2 degrees Fahrenheit the air temperature increases.

So, for example, a drive that would fly 200 yards at 32F will fly 220 at 72F.

I assume this refers to a driver. Eg a 120 yard wedge at 32F will not fly 140 yards at 72F.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

I play with a softer ball in cold weather (srixon soft feel) rather than z star or pro v. Really pleased with the performance, and while shorter than summer balls in warm conditions have found it much better for cold conditions. Certainly travels further than my summer choices do during the cold weather.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:04 pm

I would normally hit my 8 iron 150yds during the summer months, during winter months I need a 7 iron for the same didstance, then factor in very cold but light breeze and need to change to a 6 iron.

I must admit during very hot weather I can carry my 9 iron 150yds.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:20 pm

Where do you leave it the rest of the round?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 30 Jan 2012, 11:46 pm

McLaren wrote:

Where do you leave it the rest of the round?
Laugh Laugh Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:52 am

puligny wrote:I play with a softer ball in cold weather (srixon soft feel) rather than z star or pro v. Really pleased with the performance, and while shorter than summer balls in warm conditions have found it much better for cold conditions. Certainly travels further than my summer choices do during the cold weather.

The Srixon "Soft Feel" is not softer than a Z Star or Pro-V. In fact it is one of the harder balls you can buy. Not quite a Molitor, but it's not a quality ball.
The nomenclature is a marketing ploy to make people more amenable to cheap two piece rock hard balls. They aren't remotely soft and fit into the same bracket as a Top Flight or Pinnacle. A truly cheap, utilitarian ball generally aimed at and used by high handicappers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:59 am

Im suprised at that Super. I play with the Srixon soft feel ball and to me it does actually feel softer when you are hitting it. There is a noticeable difference certainly compared to using the cheaper balls you mention and certainly compared to say when Im hitting a distance ball.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:08 am

I'm usually a club shorter in winter, never mind factoring in sodden courses. A harder ball will have less spin so you might find it easier to pierce through the colder air than a high spinner like a prov1. That correct?

Its always interesting to see how far the tour pros hit the ball at more 'normal' temperatures. Noticed a few pros at Torrey Pines going with the same club I would for certain distances. Whilst it looked nice on the tv I think it was only ('only' haha!) around 17-18 degrees C? Of course there are always the big hitters but some of the large iron carries we see on tv are usually at nice warm temperatures.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:09 am

All said and done Diggers, it's very much a budget ball, and not remotely comparable to a Pro-v or other premium ball. A bit like Wilson "Soft"
Softer than what? Tungsten, Iron, Diamond?

Truth is though, many players would actually benefit from using such a ball, as they don't have the technique to get the best out of a premium ball. Seems it is a bit of an image thing to be seen hitting a "proper" tour ball though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:15 am

Well Super my ball striking isnt that great, I dont buy the real premium balls because of that and basically because I just lose the effing things.
Buy I could actually feel the ball compress when I played with the Srixon soft which of course made me feel like I was striking the ball sweetly...which probbaly made me relax and play a bit better etc etc.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:18 am

Fair enough Diggers, my opinioin is that the "Soft" nomenclature is a bit misleading as they still feel rock hard in comparison to what you might call a "proper" ball.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:01 pm

super_realist wrote:
The nomenclature is a marketing ploy to make people more amenable to cheap two piece rock hard balls. They aren't remotely soft and fit into the same bracket as a Top Flight or Pinnacle.

That just doesn't ring true to me, or anyone else who has ever used a srixon soft feel.

They feel MUCH softer than top flite or pinnacle.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:09 pm

Around the greens they still feel like a stone to me, certainly compared the Bridgestones or other "proper" balls. Not nice off the putter either.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:14 pm

Never tried the Srixon but know lots of my playing partners do.

I use the Taylormade Burner tour as this was suggested to me by the pro I used for lessons when I first took the game up 9months ago. I have nothing to compare this to as I have stuck with the ball as I find it suits my needs, but have looked at toying with the idea of trying others just for the sake of it really.

One thing though, I really would not look at using a premium ball as I cannot see what it would add to my game as a newbie, yet I see many people using the high end balls but getting no different results to me or indeed just losing them and seems a waste of money.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:55 pm

Premium balls like the Pro v1 work so much better round the green. From 80 yards off the green to 1 yard off the green, they are so much easier to control that almost any player will get some benefit from using them.

If you play on a course with huge flat slow greens then maybe it doesn't matter. Playing on frozen greens like we've had recently reveals just how hard it is to control shorter shots. I reckon if I was forced to play with a Pinnacle year round, my handicap would go up by at least 5.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 31 Jan 2012, 1:28 pm

George1507 wrote:Premium balls like the Pro v1 work so much better round the green. From 80 yards off the green to 1 yard off the green, they are so much easier to control that almost any player will get some benefit from using them....
Provided, of course, that they're struck properly. If proper contact isn't made, it'll make little difference (except maybe feel) what ball is used. Harrington had an interesting little video on the Beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/7507441.stm

Interesting comment at ~1.16 re. strike quality vs. other factors!

Certainly at the moment (provided it isn't frozen) I'm using up some old Maxfli Tour Fire balls (morphed into Taylor Made's Burner TP ball when TM bought out Maxfli I think) which spin more than well enough into softish greens. On a good, full PW I can back one up about 3-6 feet and they feel nice enough for chipping putting. I suspect a Rock Flight would stop dead into wet greens fine as well but I hate the feel...especially when it's cold.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

I played on a course in November which requires you to use a small mat instead of hitting shots off the fairway. To soft, slick greens and with a lovely clean lie I could make Pro V1s hit with a 6 iron come back. Wedge shots came back off the green sometimes. Even some harder balls backed up.

You are right though, I hate that hard as nails feeling you get when hitting Top Flites and Molitors and Pinnacles.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:04 pm

Super - interesting observations on srixon soft feel. I wonder, have you used them?
It was a good tip given to me by a pal who has been a pro for 20 years, and it has worked for me.
They are cheap but very good, although not a ball I would use in warmer conditions.
Anyway it's all opinions and finding what works isn't it?

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 31 Jan 2012, 7:19 pm

I think Super is geting confused with the Srixon distance ball. The Srixon soft feel is very definitely not a rock hard distance ball... I'm using them myself at the moment, but I will switch to z stars and pro v1's come March.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:24 pm

FWIW, re. the Srixon Soft Feel etc, the SSF is rated as 71 compression (Srixon's own web site) which is soft. For comparison, those of you who've tried the Wilson FG Tour ball, that's rated as 75 (Wilson's web site) and in my experience, has a very soft feel to it (great ball BTW). The ProV1 by comparison is, as far as I can ascertain, rated at around 90ish.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm

I don't use them because I prefer the z-star or bridgestone b330rxs but I've had many in my practice bag by default and while they may be rated as having a soft core the exterior or mantle if you prefer feels horribly hard and teeth shatteringly tough, ghastly feel on both chips and putts. I don't even pick them up any more if I find them, just chuck em away. A ball of great cheapness and minimal technology, which no doubt suits some, but it feels every bit of it's £1 worth when I hit one.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:19 pm

I tend to use Srixon Soft Feels and quite like them, but agree they sound if not also feel a bit dead on chips and putts.

Anyone have views on the AD333? Recently bought some (to try out / they were silly cheap / shop staff member said they're quite similar to Soft Feel, but slightly longer distance and more spin I think). Haven't really had much of a chance to road-test or compare as yet though.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:20 am

Sky - they are very good value. I've used them, tried them as a winter ball but found they were were a lot firmer than soft feel srixon balls. My wife uses them - don't take that as a they are for girls comment, she is a good golfer - and we always use them in mixed foursomes. Club champs 4 out of last 5 years!
Only negative reported is that the latest version tends to scuff up a bit as the mantle in common with most srixon balls is a lot softer than previously.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Shot distances and cold weather Empty winter golf

Post by dewsweeper Thu 02 Feb 2012, 5:37 pm

Super,

You really do come over as a very patronising 'single figure man' with the words you use with regard to the Srixon soft feel ball.
Because of my advancing years (72) and rising handicap (13) plus a swing speed about 33 mph (on a warm day! ) I have tried many softer balls.My Pro even gave me some Pinnacle Pink Lady to try,which I did despite my mates ribbing.(they are surprisingly good for the ageing coffin dodger such as myself)
Srixon soft feel are an excellent ball in my opinion and would suit many with slower swing speeds and Pinnacle Dimension are another budget ball ideal for winter golf for us golfers so much less talented than yourself.Goodness knows how you would have coped in the early 60's with balls, like the Prices Everlasting!! ,1.62 diameter!!!!!

As an aside why don't you keep all those inferior golf balls you find , lost, I presume by us not quite 'proper' golfers and hand them into your Pro Shop?I am sure he could use them for the juniors section.

Happy golfing
Dewsweeper

dewsweeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Noel Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:52 pm

I use Callaway warbird plus in the winter. They do exactly what is said on the tin namely good distance which is needed in cold and damp air this time of year. I find they do peirce the air really well and are relatively cheap. Don't need spin as greens generally soft and wet (especially the rain we get) and in the main will hold the ball. I've given them to mates to have a go and they think the same. Also,seem fine to chip and putt with.Well worth a go if anyone experimenting with a winter ball.

Noel

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:53 am

Dew, I'm not intending to come across as that.

Soft Feel might well be soft in terms of their compression, but they don't feel soft when you actually need it, i.e around the greens and putting.

They are a cheap ball, nothing patronising about that, and designed for the mid -high handicapper.
Sorry if that offends.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:37 am

Noel wrote:I use Callaway warbird plus in the winter. They do exactly what is said on the tin namely good distance which is needed in cold and damp air this time of year. I find they do peirce the air really well and are relatively cheap. Don't need spin as greens generally soft and wet (especially the rain we get) and in the main will hold the ball. I've given them to mates to have a go and they think the same. Also,seem fine to chip and putt with.Well worth a go if anyone experimenting with a winter ball.

Noel, thanks for the recommendation - I got given a box of them recently but hadn't put them in play yet. I think I now will based on your comments and also since S_R has trashed the Srixon balls I normally use along with my confidence! Wink
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:51 am

I'll trash the warbirds if you want? Even worse than the soft feels...

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:54 am

Lairdy wrote:I'll trash the warbirds if you want? Even worse than the soft feels...

Haha...fill your boots..in actual fact I disregard 95% of what's said on here Smile
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:25 pm

You guys must get warmer winters than where I live as it is usually too cold to play never mind about the spin rate or launch angle of different balls.

If it is sub 10C then you may as well hit a gutta percha for all the diference it will make.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:27 pm

Stop being such a poof Mac. It could be -20, so long as it's not windy aswell.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SpacemanSpiff Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm

super_realist wrote:Stop being such a poof Mac. It could be -20, so long as it's not windy aswell.

Laugh

SpacemanSpiff

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm

I see you are still crippled by ignorance. What a terribly misguided thing to say.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:36 pm

McLaren wrote:You guys must get warmer winters than where I live as it is usually too cold to play never mind about the spin rate or launch angle of different balls.

If it is sub 10C then you may as well hit a gutta percha for all the diference it will make.

Have you not heard of layering and wearing clothes according to the conditions.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:37 pm

Alright, stop being such a gaylord then.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:39 pm

I do of course play in cold weather, as long as it is not below freezing or feeling ridiculously cold, but more indicating the choice of ball in these conditions is irrelevant.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:44 pm

I am unsure of the make up of the circles in which you mix super, but I will tell you for sure that homophobia is generally thought of as the views of those with low intellect and large levels of ignorance.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:57 pm

McLaren wrote:I am unsure of the make up of the circles in which you mix super, but I will tell you for sure that homophobia is generally thought of as the views of those with low intellect and large levels of ignorance.

Good grief.

Where does treating patently facetious and flippant remarks as having serious intent sit on the intellectual pecking order then?

Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 03 Feb 2012, 3:06 pm

May I ask McLaren are you often offended by jovial remarks on behalf of others. We live in a world now where all to often the politically correctness of others is even more offensive than someone simply making a light hearted comment.

Last edited by Fader on Fri 03 Feb 2012, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next