The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helpful Recommendations of where to watch the Six Nations...!

+11
Alex_Germany
NeilyBroon
kiakahaaotearoa
HERSH
doctor_grey
Dr Kenneth Noisewater
eirebilly
TrailApe
rodders
Looseheaded
maestegmafia
15 posters

Go down

Helpful Recommendations of where to watch the Six Nations...! Empty Helpful Recommendations of where to watch the Six Nations...!

Post by maestegmafia Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:40 am

Wherever you are in the world right now or wherever you are off to for the weekend, do you know I good place to watch the game...?

Not everyone will be lucky enough to be in the stadiums of Paris, Edinburgh or Dublin this weekend.

So wherever you are right down a recommendation of where is a great spot to watch the game and get a decent crowd.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Helpful Recommendations of where to watch the Six Nations...! Empty Re: Helpful Recommendations of where to watch the Six Nations...!

Post by maestegmafia Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:53 am

I will be in La Figuera in Spain visiting friends this weekend, but I am reliably informed of an Irish Pub called Kennedy's in 14 Placa C.Natzaret, Tarragona.

A bit of a drive from La Figuera but reliably informed its a great bar in an interesting old city.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Helpful Recommendations of where to watch the Six Nations...! Empty Re: Helpful Recommendations of where to watch the Six Nations...!

Post by Looseheaded Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:05 am

On TV.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:13 am

maestegmafia wrote:I will be in La Figuera in Spain visiting friends this weekend, but I am reliably informed of an Irish Pub called Kennedy's in 14 Placa C.Natzaret, Tarragona.

A bit of a drive from La Figuera but reliably informed its a great bar in an interesting old city.

I think I watched Ireland beat Wales in the 2009 GS game in there....nice bar but the commentry was in spanish.....not that it mattered when Stephen Jones penalty fell short at the end Yahoo .. They had a big room in the back with a huge screen, if its the same place.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:49 am

roddersm wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I will be in La Figuera in Spain visiting friends this weekend, but I am reliably informed of an Irish Pub called Kennedy's in 14 Placa C.Natzaret, Tarragona.

I think I watched Ireland beat Wales in the 2009 GS game in there....nice bar but the commentry was in spanish.....not that it mattered when Stephen Jones penalty fell short at the end Yahoo .. They had a big room in the back with a huge screen, if its the same place.

Great sounds perfect, looks like there are some great restaurants around for a bit of pre and post match Tapas...

What were you up to in Tarragona Rodders? It's quite an non frequented town by all accounts.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:04 am

Its quite an nice town maesteg, a walled city a bit like Chester if I remember correctly, I've been there a couple of times. I was actually on rock climbing trip, staying in a village called Siurana in the mountains above Salou and Tarragona was the nearest place I could find to watch the rugby. Beautiful place.

Great times man...best day ever.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:23 am

I'll be watching from behind the settee.

I'll only come out if we build up a comfotable cushion of about 20 points - so I'll probably be behind the settee most of the game. Cry Whisky
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:28 am

Coco's in Amsterdam but be keep your eyes open for Gibbo. He will be the drunken old man in the corner wearing the blue Leinster shirt cursing the very existance of ROG and DK Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Kenneth Noisewater Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:47 am

Caledonia Pub - Budapest.

Great atmosphere, lots of keen rugby fans of many nationalities.

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 01 Feb 2012, 11:34 am

Nice work guys keep them coming...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:17 pm

I am living in northern New Jersey.
My club will be watching together at the Blackthorn Pub in beautiful Parsippany, NJ.
The pub is arranging for proper breakfast to accompany the 6 Nations.
Hopefully the following weekend in Cardiff for Wales-Scotland.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:29 pm

TV's a good place to start.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:05 pm

My club will be watching together at the Blackthorn Pub

What Ale do they serve?

Any Micro Brewery gourgesness?
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:36 pm

My rugby lifeline in Madrid is the Irish pub. The Irish Rover, James Joyce or Bo Finn are my regular haunts whether they be for NH or SH internationals.

There was a streaming site I used n2n4u.net I think during the RWC for games like NZ vs Japan when I couldn´t be arsed getting out of bed and that seemed to work well.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:42 pm

TrailApe wrote:
My club will be watching together at the Blackthorn Pub

What Ale do they serve?

Any Micro Brewery gourgesness?
Not sure about the microbrews. They do have proper stuff: Boddington's, Guinness, Murphy's, Newcastle, Harp Lager. And every tv will have the Rugby.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:43 pm

last year I watched the Friday night Wales-England in O'Malley's Irish Pub in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Once I walked in the door I could have been almost anywhere back home.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:13 pm

Baker St pub, Upper East side Manhattan, should be a good laugh, introducing a few grad friends to the game! If you're a rugby fan in the city drop in!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:22 pm

Great work lads... some good venues there by the sounds of it...

Neily I have been to Baker street for a match before good pub. BBC america is really coming on, watched a game live on the channel in Antigua last year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:29 pm

Baker Street Pub. Heard of it but haven't been there. Where is it? Any real Rugby guys? Or just the usual upper east-siders?

We need to complete the list so we are truly connected globally. Rugby circling the world.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:32 pm

63rd and 1st, cant miss it, big building with Baker Street Pub written on the side. There is a huge expat community and a few rugby clubs around so you get some real fans.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:04 pm

Last time I lived in Germany used to drive 30 minutes to the Irish Pub in Konstanz. There were usually about a dozen Brits in there.

Now it's all on Astra 2D.

I was once desperate to watch an England France game without access to satellite. I tried Internet but BBC wouldn't stream overseas, so I logged into a work computer and tried using that as a proxy, but the link was too slow.

Then about one minute into the game I gave up and turned on German TV, and found they were broadcasting it! With German commentary - which of course had to explain things like scrums etc.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:27 pm

Well the closest pub showing the games is 80 miles away in Calgary so I will be watching the games at home. Mrs is on nights all weekend so will be banished to the basement where I can (hopefully) cheer without waking the 'walrus' up. Closest thing I will get to a rugby atmosphere will be the dog chasing her mini gilbert rugby ball around the carpet whilst the game is on.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:30 pm

CARDIFF - for any match especially Ireland/Wales I'd highly recommend Dempsey's on Castle Street. However, I'll be at home myself which isn't open to the public Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:42 am

Well if you are lucky enough to live in a Great Rugby City like Cardiff you can always nip out to drink in the Atmosphere and watch the game at home after the build up.

Some good posts above...

Someone PM'd me a website with a list.

http://www.brombeer.net/rugby/pubs/europe.html

Chez l'Ami Jean, Rue Mallard, Paris is one of my favourites throughout the world, great Basque food and passionate rugby fans throughout.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 02 Feb 2012, 3:40 pm

Being an Irish Lad in Glasgow there was never going to be a problem finding a pub, but two places have always been brilliant. The first being the Beer Bar at Glasgow University Union which is filled with all sorts of people on 6N weekends, with fans from all 6 countries as well as quite a number of Aussies! Still can't forget the feeling of running round the Union after the 2009 Grand Slam!

The other one is Waxy O'Connors which is a great spot for any sport, usually end up there for All Irelands, but just a great atmosphere, as with any Irish pub in the world!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Fri 03 Feb 2012, 7:40 am

It's going to be in my girlfriends house. We've just bought our first house together, it's costing me a blydi fortune and i'm not even living in the blydi thing yet. Moving in in two weeks time, got to save Sad

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 7:47 am

Well done Bridgend mate,

First step on the ladder. Well I hope she is more accommodating than my irish in laws were when I went to stay with them for the first time and Wales were playing Ireland at the arms park. A we listened on the radio in the parlour and Wales did better and better I felt more and more distant, I didn't venture over for a holiday again for a while. I think that game prolonged our engagement an extra year...!

Quiet a phenomenon how many Irish themed pubs there are in the world, usually a bastion for rugby watchers.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Fri 03 Feb 2012, 7:59 am

Cheers Maes

Im actually looking forward to watching the end of the 6N in my own house. Already got £500 saved up for a brand new telly...no money for a washing machine, fridge or freezer mind, but they're not important

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:01 am

You can get the fridge freezer and washing machine on eBay for nothing... Or worst use out doors as the fridge and wash your clothes in the bath. That's what we did when I was a lad before the modern wave of electronic home improvement.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:06 am

I've never been on eBay, might have to take a look at it. Also, it is cold enough at the moment to go without a fridge and freezer. Good thing is my girlfriend loves the 6N and shes happy to go along with this Very Happy

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:14 am

Lucky man...!

I remember in the sixties when my wife and I went on holiday with some American friends and she caught the look on my face when I saw their teenage daughter in Hot Pants, first time I had ever seen such a thing. She squeezed my hand and told me that I now knew why she was such a keen rugby fan.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:18 am

something like this Drool

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:20 am

Not far from it... Less drool and bigger eyes...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down