The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rangefiners and skycaddie etc

3 posters

Go down

Rangefiners and skycaddie etc Empty Rangefiners and skycaddie etc

Post by Doc Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:22 am

This subject has been done to death on the other board and seems to be a bit contraversial, as some see them as a rich blokes toy. Some think they should be banned and some even think they're illegal etc, although I know plenty on here who use them and think they're great.

I have a Bushnell Tour V2 and know it to be very accurate compared to SkyCaddie. I also believe they are legal on tour, except for the ones which have 'slope' measuring. Not sure if some clubs ban them as a 'local rule' or not. Anyway what does an 18-handicapper get from it. Well firstly it's demonstrated just how far I carry with each club, which was surprising at the time, but more importantly for someone of my calibre it allows me to choose a club with confidence, gone are the days of not being sure and either hitting a shorter club harder or a longer club softer. It takes away the in between clubs worry and allows me to just settle and go for it. It also shows me how much green I have to play with between a bunker and the pin etc. So I'm in favour and although there are plenty who think they can manage with just a course guide or marker posts, plenty of people I play with ask me for exact yardages when we're out. I think it's helped my scoring and will carry on using it untill/unless its banned. After all if belly putters are legal tender .....

Doc

Back to top Go down

Rangefiners and skycaddie etc Empty Re: Rangefiners and skycaddie etc

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:35 am

OK.

First up lasers and GPS rangefinders are not actually legal under the rules of the game. But there is provision for them to be made legal within each competition via the enactment of a local rule. It's a bit complicated really but by framing it in that way the R&A are leaving the decision up to each individual club and competition authority. It allows a choice which would not be possible if the R&A gave blanket approval. So the old traditional clubs (the places that still want women banned and you have to have no black balls and the like to join) have the option to remain old, out of date and resistant to change. Which is their choice.

In relation to the legality on tour... It depends on the Tour. The are most certainly not allowed on the ET and PGA Tour during a competition round. But are completely acceptable in practice rounds as it allows the players to accurately range and map the course on their own. And to their own standards.

As for what an 18 handicapper gets out of them. You get a proper yardage. And a better understanding of your own capabilities. Which has got to help with the stupid shots. For example If it's a 200 yard carry that you thought was 180... its going to make you think more about pulling out the 3 iron and attempting to get there... which will lead to fewer shots. 18 handicaps might not have the ability to hit the ball to within a few yards of the exact number. But knowing the capability and coupled with the exact yardages will help reduce the number of 'daft misses' I think
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:56 am

Thanks LJ for the rule questions, and totally agree with your final paragraph, as this is exactly what I get out of it. I've read posts on the other board where some say a mid to high handicapper wouldn't know how far they hit each iron .... Easy really as all you need do is hit half a dozen balls with each club on the range and take the average. You know the ones you pure, hit well, part thin etc, so easy.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 21 Mar 2011, 11:16 am

Just remember to update those yardages regularly. Otherwise what you think may no longer be the reality.

It's also worth remembering that as a 'rich mans toy' it is going to save a little money. Over the lifetime of the device how many lost balls will it save people as they come up short in the water? I would think a fair bit really.

And also there is no rule against asking other players a yardage. Just for advice... and a yardage is not advice. So you can happily share your distance information with other players who may not have a rangefinder.

to support this the R&A definition of advice is:

R&A Rules App wrote:
"Advice" is any counsel or suggestion that could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club or the method of making a stroke.

Information on the Rules, distance or matter of public information, such as the position of hazards or the flagstick on the putting green, is not advice.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 21 Mar 2011, 11:32 am

[It's also worth remembering that as a 'rich mans toy' it is going to save a little money. Over the lifetime of the device how many lost balls will it save people as they come up short in the water? I would think a fair bit really]

Came in really handy playing the 18th at San Lorenzo a couple of weeks ago. First round played from the back tees so no chance of taking the water on. 2nd time we played off the yellow's and it looked inviting, but upon checking would have needed to carry 247 yards, so binned it and played the log way round. Also lost plenty of balls through the back of greens as taken too much club to make sure. Not done that since I got it. I also find it great for getting to the magical 90/95 yards out which allows me to play a full gap wedge into the pin with some accuracy.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 21 Mar 2011, 11:46 am

I love the 18th at San Lorenzo. What an outstanding hole.

I parred it with 3 wood 5 iron when I was last there... just lipped out for the birdie.

That course has such a good finishing stretch. (and as you say the rangefinder made it so much easier to know what club to take)
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 21 Mar 2011, 11:54 am

LJ you must have some distance compared to me, because that water was scary from the back tee. Playing from the yellows the following day I used driver which just stayed short of the other water and 3-wood avoiding the other water knowing it would come back off the high mound and run towards the green. I chipped it dead for par. The day before was driver and 3-wood followed by wedge and 3 putts. Cracking hole if your Bubba Very Happy not much chance for ladies unless low h/c, it would even be a tough par 5 for them.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 21 Mar 2011, 12:45 pm

It's not that long really. 380 from the backs? Roughly?

It was playing into a fierce wind when I was there which made it a bit longer.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 21 Mar 2011, 1:13 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:It's not that long really. 380 from the backs? Roughly?

It was playing into a fierce wind when I was there which made it a bit longer.

I wonder how long it is going around the lake and then between the 2 lakes like I did. 380 is as the crow flies I assume, but the carry from the back box would have been well over 260 yards. All I can say LJ is that it was some 3-wood into the wind, I'm going to have to call you Bubba Johny0

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 21 Mar 2011, 1:17 pm

Dunno what the carry is... I just know I didn't like the look of a driver onto that slopey fairway with the lakes all over the place just waiting for a miscue! Very Happy

As it happens when I played it my uncle was convinced the hole was more like 500 yards. He thought I had a putt for eagle. Doh
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 21 Mar 2011, 3:09 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:

Over the lifetime of the device how many lost balls will it save people as they come up short in the water? I would think a fair bit really.

Maybe, but I suspect that most balls go submarine because the player doesn't have the confidence to swing normally when confronted with water. You see all sorts of strange scoopy, steery swings when there's water about.

Always remember what Frank Beard said - "When your shot has to carry over a water hazard, you can either hit one more club or two more balls."

Wink

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 21 Mar 2011, 3:52 pm

There's truth in that. But also in the fact that not knowing the carry makes it more likely to be a dodgy swing.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum