The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My England Team vs Italy

4 posters

Go down

My England Team vs Italy Empty My England Team vs Italy

Post by robshaw4england Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:12 am

15. B.Foden (Northampton)
14. C.Ashton (Saracens)
13. B.Barritt (Saracens)
12. O.Farrell (Saracens)
11. D.Strettle (Saracens)
10. C.Hodgson (Saracens)
09. B.Youngs (Leicester)

08. B.Morgan (Scarlets)
07. C.Robshaw (Harlequins)
06. T.Croft (Leicester)
05. G.Parling (Leicester)
04. M.Botha (Saracens)
03. D.Cole (Leicester)
02. D.Hartley (Northampton)
01. J.Marler (Harlequins)

16. A.Corbisiero (L.Irish)
17. R.Webber (Bath)
18. D.Attwood (Bath)
19. C.Clark (Northampton)
20. L.Dickson (Northamton)
21. J.Turner-Hall (Harlequins)
22. M.Brown (Harlequins)

In the back three, Mike Brown is pushing extremely hard. However the back three against Scotland played well as an effective unit, defensively they were solid and they improved in attack throughout the game. Mike Brown is a very good player and as a potential game changer will be useful in the final 20 minutes of the game.

In the centres, defensively they held up quite well. In attack hopefully the forwards can gain more possession meaning our backs can have more ball on the front foot. Would like to see more of Farrells, passing game freeing up the outside backs. Turner-Hall to cover on the bench.

At half back, Youngs was a little hit and miss, but he has all the makings of a top class scrum half. Whilst Hodgson played well against Scotland and should continue to deputise for Flood, who happened to make his comeback in the LV Cup for Leicester yesterday. Dickson to cover scrum half on the bench and Farrell to slot in at 10 late on in the game.

In the back row I was impressed with Robshaw and Croft as a partnership, however the balance with Phil Dowson at 8 didn't quite work, I'd like to see the more direct and powerful Ben Morgan at number 8. A back row of Croft, Robshaw and Morgan may not have an out and out scavenger, but it has a very nice balance to it, and I'd expect Morgan to add a new dimension to England's attacking game. Clark to edge the spot on the bench.

In the second row although our lineout was mostly solid, Palmer disappointed me, whilst Botha had a hit and miss first half. Parling really impressed me when he came on, and I'd be willing to give Parling a start at the expense of Palmer, with Attwood coming on to the bench who will be hoping to make an impact late on in the game.

In the front row England were actually quite impressive. Cole, Hartley and Corbisiero scrummaged well, and defended well in the loose, however didn't get to see much of their carrying game. Although controversial for some as Corbisiero played well against Scotland, I feel Joe Marler has to start against, whilst the question marks over his scrummaging will be answered, as the Italians have a very powerful scrummaging pack and I'd like to see how Marler copes. Huge decision for Lancaster, however I feel he will probably stick with Corbisiero and have Stevens and Webber on the bench.

Thoughts?

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

My England Team vs Italy Empty Re: My England Team vs Italy

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:26 am

why on earth would you drop Corbisiero? He was our best loose forward yesterday (carried ok, scrummaged well and forced a couple of turnovers, including one five meters from our tryline). Italy shouldn't be taken lightly, so picking Marler just to see what he can do is a poor idea IMO.

I'd also stick with Palmer, whose experience is very valuable I think, though Parling did well when he came on. Morgan for Dowson I agree 100%, Dowson was the only player I thought who looked out of his depth yesterday.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:51 am

I would be tempted to go for a full front-row on the bench, maybe at the expense of a second row player and have Croft move in in an emergency. Italy have a good scrum, and I don't like Stevens at loose-head.

I'm not sure if I'd make too many changes to the starting line-up. Let this team bed a little in before we chop and change it. Certain players didn't look too hot, but that might be to unfamiliarity rather than not being up to it. We can look at tweaks for the Wales game if we're still not firing.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Armchairexpert Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:26 am

I would start with the same team but switch Youngs for Dickson and look to bring Morgan on earlier.

Armchairexpert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down