The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rocket Ronnie wins!

+2
88Chris05
spencerclarke
6 posters

Go down

Rocket Ronnie wins! Empty Rocket Ronnie wins!

Post by spencerclarke Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Ronnie finally won a ranking title again for what is a ludicrous amount of time seeing as how good he is. Do you see him having another world title in him before he packs in.

I believe that at some stage over the next two or three years he will have a couple of weeks where he is really up for it and get another. Would be a crying shame if he didn't. Tainted genius. We need to make the most of him before he finally goes through with his threats to quit.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Rocket Ronnie wins! Empty Re: Rocket Ronnie wins!

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:34 pm

I think the days of us being able to say "If O'Sullivan has the right head on he'll win a lot in the next season or so" are gone, to be honest. He could be as motivated, hungry and focused as he likes, it won't bring him another world title, I feel. His game has regressed too much. There seems to be a myth growing that O'Sullivan is the same animal as he was five or six years ago, but he certainly isn't. His long game is all but gone, and his safety (which was absolutely phenomenal during his peak) is a shadow of what it was.

When he's in the balls at close range, of course, he's still just about the best player going - but the two factors above mean that these opportunities are becoming a lot more rare as time passes. In a two day match over thirty-five frames, I'd pick the 2012 versions of Robertson, Higgins, Trump and Selby to beat the 2012 version of O'Sullivan just about every time.

I'm sure he'll pick up the odd title or so before he goes, but I think his days as a real contender for the world title are gone.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:44 am

I think this match summed it Maguire's career, starts off with three centuries, pretty much has the match in his hands but still end's up losing. Waste of talent as he was the best player of the week.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:14 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I think the days of us being able to say "If O'Sullivan has the right head on he'll win a lot in the next season or so" are gone, to be honest. He could be as motivated, hungry and focused as he likes, it won't bring him another world title, I feel. His game has regressed too much. There seems to be a myth growing that O'Sullivan is the same animal as he was five or six years ago, but he certainly isn't. His long game is all but gone, and his safety (which was absolutely phenomenal during his peak) is a shadow of what it was.

When he's in the balls at close range, of course, he's still just about the best player going - but the two factors above mean that these opportunities are becoming a lot more rare as time passes. In a two day match over thirty-five frames, I'd pick the 2012 versions of Robertson, Higgins, Trump and Selby to beat the 2012 version of O'Sullivan just about every time.

I'm sure he'll pick up the odd title or so before he goes, but I think his days as a real contender for the world title are gone.

yep, this is pretty much spot on.

The long potting seems to be the first thing to decline. Davis and Hendrey went through the same thing. I don't know if it's due to loss of some motor skill/hand-eye coordination with increasing age or whether it's more a mental deficiency. In any case, it's virtually impossible to remain a top contendor without a reasonable long game. The safety is very strong and so opportunities to get in amongst the balls are limited unless one has the ability and consistency to pot long balls from behind the balk line.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Funny how a guy who spends most of his time slagging the game off.......lacks commitment and is more petulant than a schoolboy...

Is so well liked....

Me I prefer professional types rather than childish whingers..

Hope he doesn't win another world title..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 pm

I don't think he has another world title in him. Since 2008, he's appeared to lose interest in the long format. But I bet dear old Barry will change the format just to suit his golden boy.

Last edited by TSC on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:45 am

I cant see Ronnie winning another Worlds, UK or Masters but he will pick up a few more titels along the way. Not a fan but a great player.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down