The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me about Southgate Cricket club in the Middlesex Premier league.

4 posters

Go down

Tell me about Southgate Cricket club in the Middlesex Premier league. Empty Tell me about Southgate Cricket club in the Middlesex Premier league.

Post by Biltong Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:43 am

Hi guys, a mate of mine's son is in talks with Southgate Cricket club, they have offered him to come play in the premier league for them.

Carmi Le Roux is 19 years old, finished school last year and has been involved with a number of junior teams under Ray Jennings.

He was unlucky not to make the SA under 19 side, his dad showed me the stats of the U19 results of the tournamnets they plaed in, and he was rated third best statistically, apparnetly they decided to go with an experienced bowler who was in the U19 squad last year as well.

He is a fast bowler, already hitting between 130km/h to 135km/h.

I don't know when it will be finalised but his dad says they just need to iron out accommodation, etc. From what I understand he is not allowed to get paid as it is an amateur league, but they can offer him a coaching job. Obviously his dad has to pay for cost of living whilst he is there for four months.

Is this a strong club, I understand it is premier league, so if he does do well, how does it work from there?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Tell me about Southgate Cricket club in the Middlesex Premier league. Empty Re: Tell me about Southgate Cricket club in the Middlesex Premier league.

Post by Mike Selig Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:30 am

Hi Biltong,

I know a bit about the middlesex league (we've had a french player play there in the past), so maybe I can help out.

It is a very good standard (generally accepted as the 2nd best local league in England after Lancashire). It is certainly a better standard than most (all?) on here have played. Roughly equivalent to 3rd or 4th tier international cricket (where 1st tier are the test nations, 2nd tier is Ireland etc., 3rd tier is probably Denmark, Italy, Oman, etc., 4th tier would be Jersey, Nigeria) or maybe more clearly a fraction below county 2nd XI.

I believe every club is allowed only one professional (who they can pay) by rules of the competition. However they should help him find accommodation and a local job and generally help him settle in.

The top two teams about 3 years ago were regularly Brondesbury and Ealing, I don't know if this is still the case.

130km is fast at that standard, but medium pace anything above, so if he is only getting wickets through pace then he is unlikely to progress further.

As to your "what next?" question: Middlesex occasionally send scouts to Premier League matches if they hear of something special, but you have to bear in mind:
1) he's south african, so they won't scout him.
2) 19 is relatively old. If someone was going to play first class I'd expect him to have at least an unofficial contract by that age (but there are exceptions).

I think the best hope he has is performing better than some of the pros there, in which case a team (possibly not the same) may offer him a pro contract for the next season. Or if he does well and it's fed back to his native South Africa, but I don't know at all how that works.

Anyway congrats to the guy and hope he enjoys his time over near London.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Tell me about Southgate Cricket club in the Middlesex Premier league. Empty Re: Tell me about Southgate Cricket club in the Middlesex Premier league.

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:23 pm

Mike Selig wrote:1) he's south african, so they won't scout him.

Trying desperatly hard not to make the obvious joke here....

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:29 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:1) he's south african, so they won't scout him.

Trying desperatly hard not to make the obvious joke here....
Laugh Yeah, I had to pull back there as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:05 pm

Thanks Mike, well he only finshed school last year December so hasn't really had opportunity to get contracted yet.

I knw Ray Jennings rates him very highly. Cricket Sa did an article on him in December, unfortunately I couldn't find it on line, only in the magazine, but they reckon he can play for SA one day.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

Hi Biltong,

Unfortunately I can't tell you anything specific about Southgate CC but would think Mike's comment about the level being 'a fraction below county 2nd XI' is pretty much spot on. I'm also fairly sure that if your mate's lad does well at Southgate that Middlesex (and probably other first class counties) will get to hear about it.

Last season each Surrey CCC player last season was affiliated to a team in the (Surrey) Ryman League which is not that far off the Middlesex Premier League. The 'stars' didn't play for their Ryman League club at all but most of the 'usual suspects' in the Surrey 2nd team did and some quite often. The (sensible) idea was to make sure all were regularly having a competitive game with feedback on their performance etc being given to Surrey CCC. Interestingly (or not!), very few of the Surrey players stood out at Ryman League level.

I don't know if Middlesex CCC have similar direct links with the Middlesex League - probably not as Surrey were keen to brag how innovative their tie up with the Ryman League was. Nonetheless, I would be surprised if Middlesex CCC didn't monitor local performances at this level.

Whilst Mike is also right that '19 is relatively old' to first establish yourself in the professional game, there are still a fair few exceptions. Surrey's player of last season was 29 year old 'Viscount' Tim Linley. His professional career didn't really kick off until he won at age 23 a London County Cricket Club 'Search for a Star' competition promoted by a local newspaper and even then he had to spend several seasons on summer contracts and playing 2nd XI cricket for various counties before finally making a deserved and meaningful breakthrough.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down